Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Can we get a Phone App for Crew Skills please?

nicosharp

Would love to dork around with crew missions when I am not able to log in.

What this app should be able to do:

-Sync with your character by log-in through the phone app

-View the Crew skills panel, or a version of it for the character you are synced to.

-View missions for crew skills

-Send companions on missions for crew skills

-Limited Character Inventory panel (right click for opening items, and to reverse engineer)

-Ability to accept mission rewards

Anyone Savvy enough to create this? I'd pay for it.

Edited by nicosharp

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason this sounds like a horrible idea to me and lead to over flooding of materials on the GTN. It also discriminates against people who do not have a phone that can use the app.

Edited:

since people are still quoting this I will add in my post response from the other page in response a lot talked about the cost of smartphone, etc. I never particularly thought of it in that manner, I don't have one, don't care to have one, don't want one, could care less if people had something like the AH addon in WoW where it had a monthly fee (not everyone would use it if it did). I personally could not care less if it discriminated against me but it can discriminate if anyone cares about it. I do not think you should be able to manage 8 characters at once at all, something like this makes it much easier.

It was less about affording a smart phone but about the idea of it being only released on one platform or another in which only select people with smart phones could use it. If it is released only on android or only on iPhone I that as being a bit discriminatory and other people with blackberries and other phone that could still have expensive plans still could not use it. But that was not really my main concern at all. If it discriminates it discriminates but it still does.

I really do have a concern with the extreme self sufficiency, botting and other things that could result from it and the resulting devaluing of the GTN. I think that allowing 8 characters to be managed at once via the device would be a mistake. It might not devalue things evenly, making it hard to make money to afford the things you still need to buy.

Edited by Saldrex

-View the Crew skills panel, or a version of it for the character you are synced to.

-Limited Character Inventory panel (right click for opening items, and to reverse engineer)

I'd most likely get it if it were available for a reasonable price and iPad compatibility.

For some reason this sounds like a horrible idea to me and lead to over flooding of materials on the GTN. It also discriminates against people who do not have a phone that can use the app.

If you can afford to play an MMO, you can afford a smart phone.

Also, technology discrimination? Maybe they shouldn't have released SWTOR, since people running an i386 can't play it.

While I totally agree with your second point, I have to point out that this is highly unlikely.

The lowest, cheapest dataplan from a major carrier is twice the price of an MMO sub (at the monthly recurrence price), and for the price of most smartphones, you could have the Collector's Supreme Edition, with maybe another whole game to play during the queue times. :D

That said, you're right: technology discrimination is not a thing.

So being able to install the game on my laptop so I can do crew skills on vacation discriminates against those without laptops too right? (And that is what I really am doing)

Flawed logic is flawed.

While I totally agree with your second point, I have to point out that this is highly unlikely.

The lowest, cheapest dataplan from a major carrier is twice the price of an MMO sub (at the monthly recurrence price), and for the price of most smartphones, you could have the Collector's Supreme Edition, with maybe another whole game to play during the queue times. :D

That said, you're right: technology discrimination is not a thing.

Realistically, if you can't afford a $50/mo phone/data plan then you shouldn't be playing an MMO. Your income is way too tight at that point to be spending your money frivolously on a monthly sub to a video game.

That is what always amazes me about MMO forums. There are people always complaining they are too poor to afford this or that. Yet they drop a monthly fee to play video games. Not the most financially sensible thing to do.

No thanks, this would destroy the market. And if this gets through they might as well remove crew skills and send everyone X amount of credits in the mail everyday. You have to be playing the game to actually make money, period.

Your bolded part doesn't make sense. So the platform determines whether you're actually playing the game or not? So I guess my wife can't get mad at me for watching pr0n on my iPhone. "Honey, it doesn't count -- I'm only on my phone!"

Edited by Mavajo

No thanks, this would destroy the market. And if this gets through they might as well remove crew skills and send everyone X amount of credits in the mail everyday. You have to be playing the game to actually make money, period.

How is logging in through my phone any different than logging in through remote desktop? Your logic is flawed.

Bad idea!

This would be akin to EvE allowing players to change skills using their phone. It's been suggested for years, but the cons outway the pros.

Also, technology discrimination? Maybe they shouldn't have released SWTOR, since people running an i386 can't play it.

It was less about affording a smart phone but about the idea of it being only released on one platform or another in which only select people with smart phones could use it. If it is released only on android or only on iPhone I that as being a bit discriminatory and other people with blackberries and other phone that could still have expensive plans still could not use it. But that was not really my main concern at all. If it discriminates it discriminates but it still does.

I really do have a concern with the extreme self sufficiency, botting and other things that could result from it and the resulting devaluing of the GTN. I think that allowing 8 characters to be managed at once via the device would be a mistake. It might not devalue things evenly, making it hard to make money to afford the things you still need to buy.

Realistically, if you can't afford a $50/mo phone/data plan then you shouldn't be playing an MMO. Your income is way too tight at that point to be spending your money frivolously on a monthly sub to a video game.

That is what always amazes me about MMO forums. There are people always complaining they are too poor to afford this or that. Yet they drop a monthly fee to play video games. Not the most financially sensible thing to do.

some times people confuse "can't afford" with not seeing the point in wasting money on something they don't want.

It doesn't have to be a phone app...

Just let us do it on the website is fine enough.

Any one of you who played "Gran Turismo 5" understand how the "online B-spec" driver works. That is a good system to be tweaked & adopted by this game for the crews.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.