Male vs Female

Lynnx

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way dude, i have 4 chars and all female. Personally i'd rather look at a girls butt than a dude's... if you know what i mean :eek:

Female chars in a game are just as strong or competant as male chars, but they look better if you are into girls that is.

Hence why i like Lara Croft games so much i suppose.

I was under the impression that playing female characters as a male has become an everyday thing in MMOs, so I don't see why I should feel embarassed about it. I would be, at least a little, if I was one of these guys who dress their characters in nothing but skimpy outfits, i.e. Slave Girl outfit or the Relaxed Uniform stuff.

As far as my characters are concerned, I try to hold the gender ratio in balance, but I think I have 1 or 2 more female characters than male ones on my main server. I got at least 2 characters of every class, one male, one female, but often enough, the female characters are further along than their male counterparts.

I don't think I enjoy playing female characters more due to my perviness or sexism or anything, but rather because I often tend to enjoy the story more with a female char. Female protagonists in western media are still a rarity, so I like to turn the tables on that now and again. I mean, playing a male Bounty Hunter for instance feels kind of generic, so why not have a woman kick arse and taking names? Plus, I happen to enjoy the female voice actors in this game a lot more and sometimes their romances are more interesting.

I'm a guy who likes to play both male and female characters.

My problem is that I feel embarrassed if I play a female toon and use voice chat.

Does anyone else feel this way?

No and that you do is hopefully due to mmo people talking how male playing female characters are creeps. I've got 16 characters... there is really only so much customization given by Bioware and when creating a character I'm only asking myself what I feel at that moment is better suited for said class though usually I'm not getting married to any of my companions or have any other "relation" related discussions. It's pure customization for me.. .

Dude the chicks in this game are hot ....

I complimented a player the other night on how hot their toon looks, face wise and what she was wearing. It turns out it was a female gamer who played with a female toon. Great for her. Point is i doubt many girls will be playing wiith male toons. Is this wrong, of course not, it's up to you as a player to do what you want.

As for scantily cladded toons, well this gets boring after a while. Let the people be, it's their choice. Why must we humans always force our opinions down on others.( Not saying you BenKatarn is doing with below statement)

I was under the impression that playing female characters as a male has become an everyday thing in MMOs, so I don't see why I should feel embarassed about it. I would be, at least a little, if I was one of these guys who dress their characters in nothing but skimpy outfits, i.e. Slave Girl outfit or the Relaxed Uniform stuff.

As far as my characters are concerned, I try to hold the gender ratio in balance, but I think I have 1 or 2 more female characters than male ones on my main server. I got at least 2 characters of every class, one male, one female, but often enough, the female characters are further along than their male counterparts.

I don't think I enjoy playing female characters more due to my perviness or sexism or anything, but rather because I often tend to enjoy the story more with a female char. Female protagonists in western media are still a rarity, so I like to turn the tables on that now and again. I mean, playing a male Bounty Hunter for instance feels kind of generic, so why not have a woman kick arse and taking names? Plus, I happen to enjoy the female voice actors in this game a lot more and sometimes their romances are more interesting.

My problem is that I feel embarrassed if I play a female toon and use voice chat.

Not in the slightest man. Two of my toons are female and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I will go one step further my GM is a guy and all of his toons are female. Really it's just a different way of playing so don't worry what others think.

There's no reason to feel embarrassed. I'm sure many people play a character different to their RL gender.

Let me return the question back to you, would you think less of a woman if she played a male character?

As for scantily cladded toons, well this gets boring after a while. Let the people be, it's their choice. Why must we humans always force our opinions down on others.( Not saying you BenKatarn is doing with below statement)

I was never telling people who do this to stop doing it. It's their character, they can do with them however they wish. But personally, I simply don't want to do this.

I know man, that is why i stated in my response you were not forcing anyone. Fair enough if you dont like it, it's your decision as long as you let other do as they want and they do the same to you all should be cool.

I was never telling people who do this to stop doing it. It's their character, they can do with them however they wish. But personally, I simply don't want to do this.

Point is i doubt many girls will be playing wiith male toons.

Don't be so sure :p I have quite a few male characters.

I wouldn't worry. The only people who would mock you for playing a female character are people you won't want to associate with anyway. Aside from that, I don't think many would even comment on it. There are plenty of guys who play female characters.

Bonus points if you don't feel the need to "justify" playing a female character by saying you'd rather watch a female butt than a male one :rolleyes:

Edit: Ah, I didn't read the first post by Zandoezan carefully enough before posting this. The "butt" comment wasn't a specific jab, just something I hear a lot.

Edited by Lung_Tien_Lien

Female gamer, I mostly have female toons but I do have two male toons and I'm thinking of making my new merc into a guy. I've already done the female bounty hunter. I have a male maurader, eye candy for the females who play and a male Cathar guardian. It is so much easier to make a good looking female in this game than it is to make a good looking male. Not saying that it can't be done, just saying it is easier.

On a side note, I have males in my guild including my LT who have female characters and we are on voice chat, treat them no differently. In fact there are some in an all female character guild that I know.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

Not even a little.... Of course, i chuckle a bit when someone tries to hit on me because im playing one of my female toons, but no, i dont feel embarrased... at least not for myself :p

As for being on voice chat, im pretty sure that anyone you play with is used to you having a female toon, so they shouldnt be confused by it.

Ive played both male and female toons since i started playing online games long ago.

And to the question of "Why do you play a female toon" i want to quote the great Joss Whedon when he got asked "So why do you write these strong female characters?" to which he answered "Because you're still asking me that question."

Seriously im not the only one to say this? Butt...i feel so dirty now (see what i did with the butt there :p)

I honestly don't care what opinions are of me (Lunt_Tien, I know your not disrespectful), i just dont like playing with male characters because of the male dominance in games and I do like females.

100% correct...

And to the question of "Why do you play a female toon" i want to quote the great Joss Whedon when he got asked "So why do you write these strong female characters?" to which he answered "Because you're still asking me that question."

Don't be so sure :p I have quite a few male characters.

I wouldn't worry. The only people who would mock you for playing a female character are people you won't want to associate with anyway. Aside from that, I don't think many would even comment on it. There are plenty of guys who play female characters.

Bonus points if you don't feel the need to "justify" playing a female character by saying you'd rather watch a female butt than a male one :rolleyes:

Edit: Ah, I didn't read the first post by Zandoezan carefully enough before posting this. The "butt" comment wasn't a specific jab, just something I hear a lot.

Edited by Zandoezan

Point is i doubt many girls will be playing wiith male toons. Is this wrong, of course not, it's up to you as a player to do what you want.

My main is male - he has a fantastic arse.

The only time I get worried about using voice chat is when we have an unknown element - a PUG raid member or new guild member - who neither I nor my Guild Council/Leader has met. Yeah, we can kick people off the TS server for being misogynist, but I'd rather not have to deal with it in the first place.

Basically, without voice chat, my concerns are: does this person know tictacs and their class?

With voice chat it's: is this person going to be making sandwich and rape jokes at me?

In my guild there are lots of male players having female toons. I'm female but have male characters as well. No matter whether I play a female or a male character, others seem to be positively surprised there is a girl behind that toon at all. It was quite different in another game I used to play.

Personally, I'm not interested in looking at my characters' butt no matter whether they are female or male, but that's probably just me.

Edited by Aryh

The only time I get worried about using voice chat is when we have an unknown element - a PUG raid member or new guild member - who neither I nor my Guild Council/Leader has met. Yeah, we can kick people off the TS server for being misogynist, but I'd rather not have to deal with it in the first place.

Basically, without voice chat, my concerns are: does this person know tictacs and their class?

With voice chat it's: is this person going to be making sandwich and rape jokes at me?

Your sig is interesting. I didn't know 45% of all gamers were female. That's a long way than what it was about 15-20 years ago when it was predominately male or even 10 years ago. Game developers need to start taking into account female players when designing a game now.

You go girl...:cool:

I so absolutely agree. Here at my work, Shipping Marine Company we have a lot of sailors who swear alot. Thing is now they thinking of implementing a no cussing rule which is daft, but i understand why.

If you swear then know your place and even what type of words to use when. Same applies with jokes, religious and Racial/sexist jokes are a very personal issue so rather not use them or only if you know hte other person really well and your relationship has grown over a peroid of time where you know it is cool to do so.

Nah, don't feel bad.

Fem voice acting here is much, much better. fem inquisitor (even if she does sound like my grandma), fem bounty hunter, fem scoundrel.... fem warrior, female sage is bit off imo, but fem knight is good.

only male acting I like is agent and trooper, so I have 4 males 8 females.

as for the butts, I tend to equip all my chars with capes... damn I love capes...

females body type 4 <3

Edited by Atramar

Personally, it's most of my healers that are females. I think I only have 1 female that isn't a healer, and a male that is a Bodyguard Merc. :p

I don't know, but I felt like most of my healers should be females. The rest are all males. :)

Game developers need to start taking into account female players when designing a game now.
Unfortunately, they often still can't: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/remember-mes-surprising-connection-to-facebook-and-why-its-protagonist-had
Well, we don't want to publish it because that's not going to succeed. You can't have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that.
The publishers are still pushing developers as if everyone that plays games ever is <19 and male. The situation is fixing itself, but the process is so slow you really needn't hold your breath.

As for my characters, I think all of them are female. I just like women better, especially when they're awesome at what they do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.