1800cc per character for transfer?

You are not giving Bioware feedback, you are making demands to fit your special needs.

There is a difference.

Do you really think they have not thought all of this through in the year since they said server transfers would come in the future? Really?? Seriously??

Do you really think bioware always thinks things through all the time? They are always flawless?

And yes I'm demanding some "flat-rate" fee. Is it too much to ask? Every time you have an idea to improve quality of life for a group of players, it's a demand, not a feedback?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the "Low - Standard - High" status next to the server name when you first launch the game is the number of toons instead of the number of currently logged in players/accounts? My point it no matter how many toons I have one one server or moving to a server or another, it shouldn't make a difference in the server's REALTIME load.

The flat-rate I'm asking for is a ONE-TIME transfer all toons from one server to another, so there won't be a mass exodus of people keep jumping from one server to another several times like you mentioned.

Regarding live and learn thing, giving bioware feedback to improve their service is me helping bioware learn. I've learned alot about MMO since this game but do we all have to just stay silent when you see flaws in the policies and try to avoid it next time? And I "complain" because I care and I want to continue playing equally like people who didn't have to go through all this.

It does make a difference to the real time load. Again, the site count all the toons, not the accounts. If people log in and see the realtime load is light, they will just assume it's just a slow time. It doesn't change the fact that they are still tricked into moving to a new server and that some how negates their soon to be betrayed feelings.

And how does allowing people to move entire rosters for cheap discourage mass exodus? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Bioware may need help learning how to make an MMO, but it still won't fix your problem.You're just pointing out that you had no idea what would happen and that Bioware should have predicted that you had no idea. That's just shifting the blame. It's not their fault you don't understand, and changing the policy isn't going to stop you from making the same level of mistake next time. You aren't learning. You're just deflecting. You'll end up in this quagmire again and then what?

Live and learn. Don't expect people to know how experienced you are before they know you. In the mean time, pick yourself up and fix the problem yourself. Roll server scouts ahead of time to see what the server is like before you move. Make sure you have an emergency stash of cash in case the server starts to dwindle.

Stating facts, that PvPers themselves have stated and been proud of, is NOT hating on PvPers.

And I recognize the problem pal. I just do not agree with you that Bioware must fix a problem that is more self-inflicted on the part of a player then on Bioware for being tardy with server transfers.

How is it self-inflicted?

Players bought the game. Subscribed. Played. Leveled characters. Multiple characters. Heck, that's what BWEA told us endgame was! More stories!

Through no fault of the (remaining) players, their servers' population died. They were no longer playing an MMO. At the best of times, they were playing a sort-of multi-player game. Most of the time they were playing a single-player game.

Yet they wanted to keep playing this MMO. They asked BWEA for a solution. They asked for direction.

BWEA said nothing for a very long time, then they said server merges would come someday, but they never said right up until the end - months later - which servers would merge into which servers.

So, yeah, I guess you're right in that the players chose to re-roll on different servers so they could actually play the game as an MMO, you know, what it was advertised to be?

But that doesn't make the problem or pain self-inflicted. Consider the alternatives they had. Stay on a dead server, effectively playing a single-player game. Or quitting the game altogether. Which of those sounds like a good option for someone who wants to play a Star Wars MMO?

The problem is not self-inflicted. Not remotely.

Do you really think bioware always thinks things through all the time? They are always flawless?

Nope, they are in no way flawless in their operations. However, on matters of character transfers... yeah.... by all appearances they have done well and have thought it out well.

And yes I'm demanding some "flat-rate" fee. Is it too much to ask? Every time you have an idea to improve quality of life for a group of players, it's a demand, not a feedback?

Yeah, IMO..it is too much to ask. A one time flat rate transaction would have to be specially coded and implemented, with lockouts and checks to make sure you only get it once and only use I once, and across all ranges of servers. It does not happen by magic.

Personally, I'd rather they spend that energy on server transfer capability between EU and NA as an extension of paid server transfers. [and no.. I would not use the service.. but it's been asked for by some for a long time and it is a worthy request IMO].

Imagine if they charged your a flat real life fee of $25 per character....like some other MMOs.

Edited by Andryah

How is it self-inflicted?

No character was created on any server except by action on the part of a player to do so. Bioware never rolled a character for a player.

Sever transfers done last year aggregated players characters, not disaggregated them.. so that aspect is not even in the equation.

Now, you can say it's Bioware's fault all day long that players felt compelled to run from server to server to roll new characters... but the fact is that was a choice made by players based on what the game offered them. Which frankly is not in any way unique to this MMO and anyone who has played MMOs for years knows this. By all means..add it to the long laundry list of complaints about Bioware that some players keep... but you cannot directly blame character rolls on servers on Bioware.

Edited by Andryah

It does make a difference to the real time load. Again, the site count all the toons, not the accounts. If people log in and see the realtime load is light, they will just assume it's just a slow time. It doesn't change the fact that they are still tricked into moving to a new server and that some how negates their soon to be betrayed feelings.

And how does allowing people to move entire rosters for cheap discourage mass exodus? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Bioware may need help learning how to make an MMO, but it still won't fix your problem.You're just pointing out that you had no idea what would happen and that Bioware should have predicted that you had no idea. That's just shifting the blame. It's not their fault you don't understand, and changing the policy isn't going to stop you from making the same level of mistake next time. You aren't learning. You're just deflecting. You'll end up in this quagmire again and then what?

Live and learn. Don't expect people to know how experienced you are before they know you. In the mean time, pick yourself up and fix the problem yourself. Roll server scouts ahead of time to see what the server is like before you move. Make sure you have an emergency stash of cash in case the server starts to dwindle.

I still don't understand your argument regarding real-time server load but whatever!

How does having 1800cc fee for one character transfer be any different than adding another service of say, paying 2500cc to transfer all toons to one server, when it comes to preventing mass exodus? There's still a high pay-wall to deter people from jumping server every 2 hours.

I didn't expect bioware to foresee the drop in server population two months after launch. I'm expecting them to react better to it, not making people similar to me forking out a boat-load of money to fix it.

Edited by ClamTheDuckDown

No character was created on any server except by action on the part of a player to do so. Bioware never rolled a character for a player.

Sever transfers done last year aggregated players characters, not disaggregated them.. so that aspect is not even in the equation.

Now, you can say it's Bioware's fault all day long that players felt compelled to run from server to server to roll new characters... but the fact is that was a choice made by players based on what the game offered them. Which frankly is not in any way unique to this MMO and anyone who has played MMOs for years knows this.

Agreed. It's not Bioware's fault for what the player chooses to do. It wasn't their fault player left the server and made it die. It's not their fault the remaining players stayed. It's entirely up to the individual.

I still don't understand your argument regarding real-time server load but whatever!

How does having 1800cc fee for one character transfer be any different than adding another service of say, paying 2500cc to transfer all toons to one server, when it comes to preventing mass exodus? There's still a high pay-wall to deter people from jumping server every 2 hours.

I didn't expect bioware to foresee the drop in server population two months after launch. I'm expecting them to react better to it, not making people similar to me forking out a boat-load of money to fix it.

The one-per-one transfer system works best because it adds up the total toons moved, thus giving you a real monetary number to show you just what your move represents. You're impacting two server's population with this move, and you need to know that it will cost you and both servers.

Bioware already made their reaction to server pop problems by allowing transfers. What's more, they are thinking about the populations, unlike you. You're just thinking about yourself, and this is not accusatory. No one blames you for thinking about Clam. But if you're going to move, you have to realize what you will be taking away from one server and what you will be inserting on another server. Your toons will impact the server populations, and you need to know how important that is. And unfortunately, money is the most effective discouragement a gamer will understand.

I am sorry that you've gotten this hand, but even if Bioware changed the policies, it still doesn't mean that you've learned anything. All it does is enable others to make bad mistakes and expect Bioware to clean up after them.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

While I do not agree with DMs characterization of your problem aggravating server stability...... I do understand why there is economic requirements upon players to move characters around on servers. It's demotivates churning of populations on servers (which frankly is one of Rifts real shortcoming from their free transfer system). Moving a family of characters is more destabilizing in the server "culture" then moving one. In your case, you are experiencing an artifact of Bioware's larger view of how they want to manage populations mobility in the game. Sucks for you... but in the larger view...they are doing the right thing I believe. While it may be in an individual players best interests to move a whole family of characters.....it does not mean that Bioware sees it that way and wants to encourage it. They also are not prohibiting it, just not incentivizing it.

Edited by Andryah

I bought 5500 coins for $40.

I got: 3 characters transferred, and a species change on one of them.

$40

In WoW? It'd be $100.

In short, quit yer *****in'

You're missing the point. The point is my having to fork out $80 to unite my toons just because me and my friends "picked" the wrong server at launch. Again I'm still willing to pay a reasonable about but noway $80. Plus why do people keep bringing up WOW and their absurd fees?

You're missing the point. The point is my having to fork out $80 to unite my toons just because me and my friends "picked" the wrong server at launch. Again I'm still willing to pay a reasonable about but noway $80. Plus why do people keep bringing up WOW and their absurd fees?

Perhaps I missed it earlier..... what exactly is "your" view of a reasonable one time full legacy transfer? I would like it on the record for discussion please.

I'm not asking for a free server-transfer here. I'm just asking for a flat-rate fee instead of 1800 per toon. Like I mentioned above, You can only play one Toon per account at a time. So moving 1 or moving 100 toons of one account from one server to another doesn't make a difference on the destination server's population.

It's not the destination server population that is the problem. It's the origin server's population possibly being decimated by mass exodus if they catered to those wishing flat fees to transfer or free transfers.

It's not the destination server population that is the problem. It's the origin server's population possibly being decimated by mass exodus if they catered to those wishing flat fees to transfer or free transfers.

On this aspect, I think I agree.

Now, you can say it's Bioware's fault all day long that players felt compelled to run from server to server to roll new characters... but the fact is that was a choice made by players based on what the game offered them. Which frankly is not in any way unique to this MMO and anyone who has played MMOs for years knows this. By all means..add it to the long laundry list of complaints about Bioware that some players keep... but you cannot directly blame character rolls on servers on Bioware.

I know Bioware tried to fix the server popluation issue by merging servers with the free-transfer. But that solution, at the time, limit the pairs of source-destination servers. There were no options to move all characters to one server at the time. So say I have 2 toons on A and 2 toons on B. NOw Server A is designated to merge into X and B is designated to merge into Y. That fixed the population issue and helped many players unite their toons, but many like me still have toons on 2 different servers (X and Y). This causes the problem I face today.

Yes Im in the minority. That doesn't mean I cannot voice my opinion and let my issue known.

Flat-fee is much closer to the current fee model than a free-transfer model. So saying that a flat-fee would encourage a mass exodus as much as a free-transfer is very very wrong.

Now if you say the current fee model is meant to deter not only the server-hoppers but also people with multiple toons like me, then I still personally think that it's very silly. I don't think Bioware wants to keep my toons stranded. They just never thought of it, and I'm just bringing that up.

If I have to transfer so that I can play on the server I want, I would still end up leaving the source server anyway, no matter how many toons I manage to transfer over. That is, even if I can't transfer at all, the source server only have my stranded toon with zero activities from my account. So how can the source server lose a player when I don't intend to play on it to begin with?

Flat-fee is much closer to the current fee model than a free-transfer model. So saying that a flat-fee would encourage a mass exodus as much as a free-transfer is very very wrong.

Depends on what the flat fee is.

Exactly what $$ flat fee were you seeking again? You have not been clear about this.

While i agree with what your saying, this issue is very minor in comparison to mine, at least you CAN transfer your characters.

I unfortunately started on a US server with my guild m8s at open beta and by the end of it most of the guild left, soon after the server was dead leaving my character stuck there.

Now there's no way i can transfer him from a US server to my EU server because it's not allowed, *** is the point in this character transfer then lol.

Now if you say the current fee model is meant to deter not only the server-hoppers but also people with multiple toons like me, then I still personally think that it's very silly. I don't think Bioware wants to keep my toons stranded. They just never thought of it, and I'm just bringing that up.

If I have to transfer so that I can play on the server I want, I would still end up leaving the source server anyway, no matter how many toons I manage to transfer over. That is, even if I can't transfer at all, the source server only have my stranded toon with zero activities from my account. So how can the source server lose a player when I don't intend to play on it to begin with?

The current flat fee model is designed in part to deter server hoppers. A player is much more likely to server hop if transferring their 6 characters will cost them about $25 than if that same transfer of 6 characters will cost about $80.

It is not just one person (you) transferring characters that BW has to be concerned about. It is the effect that a low cost, or free, mass transfer would have on the origin server population. You want to think of this in terms of only yourself and what a single player's transfers would do to a server populations, both origin and destination. The fact of the matter is that cost to transfer multiple characters can have a direct impact on the number of players who actually transfer.

Depends on what the flat fee is.

Exactly what $$ flat fee were you seeking again? You have not been clear about this.

I think I stated earlier that my personal opinion on a reasonable flat-rate fee would be $25, esp. after what happened with the server population. Like I said they tried to fix it with the free transfer but the restrictions they applied at the time still left people like me with stranded toons. I'm still willing to pay but not $80 when I've already spent so much on the game since launch.

The current flat fee model is designed in part to deter server hoppers. A player is much more likely to server hop if transferring their 6 characters will cost them about $25 than if that same transfer of 6 characters will cost about $80.

It is not just one person (you) transferring characters that BW has to be concerned about. It is the effect that a low cost, or free, mass transfer would have on the origin server population. You want to think of this in terms of only yourself and what a single player's transfers would do to a server populations, both origin and destination. The fact of the matter is that cost to transfer multiple characters can have a direct impact on the number of players who actually transfer.

How many people do you think that have the monetary resource to server-hop at $25 a pop? Plus they could apply a restriction on flat-rate transfer by time, say only once a year, for example. That would help people with the need to unite their toons and still deter the rich-kids who like to server-hop.

I think I stated earlier that my personal opinion on a reasonable flat-rate fee would be $25, esp. after what happened with the server population. Like I said they tried to fix it with the free transfer but the restrictions they applied at the time still left people like me with stranded toons. I'm still willing to pay but not $80 when I've already spent so much on the game since launch.

To most people $25 is as good as free.

So... you don't want to pay $80. Spend 39.95, and get enough coins to transfer three characters now (surely you can pick the three most important ones to you) with some coins left over and then transfer the others using subscriber grants over time + those left over coins. I honestly do not believe anyone has a compelling reason to need to move 6 characters all at once. I'd be willing to bet you have at least a couple that it would be simpler to just mothball and reroll the class at a later time. So you only need CCs for things you cannot purchase off the GTN.

You really do not need to purchase content from the actual Cartel shop since it's all for sale on the GTN.. and can be bought (often on the cheap) with credits. Use cartel coins for things you cannot buy off the GTN..... like character transfers.

Edited by Andryah

To most people $25 is as good as free.

So... you don't want to pay $80. Spend 39.95, and get enough coins to transfer three characters now (surely you can pick the three most important ones to you) with some coins left over and then transfer the others using subscriber grants over time + those left over coins. I honestly do not believe anyone has a compelling reason to need to move 6 characters all at once. I'd be willing to bet you have at least a couple that it would be simpler to just mothball and reroll the class at a later time.

You really do not need to purchase content from the actual Cartel shop since it's all for sale on the GTN.. and can be bought (often on the cheap) with credits.

If to most people $25 is nothing, then this game didn't have to go the F2P rout to begin with.

No I don't want to pay $80. Yes I could pick 1 toon that I like the most to transfer and be satisfied with it. If that were the case, I wouldn't have created this thread. And your logic about transferring for "free" using the cc givens to sub members is month is as good as calling everything on the cartel market is free to sub. It's the opportunity cost that I have to pay. So in the end I still have to pay for the "free" transfer.

IMO, Bioware screwed up the launch and the net result is you now have characters over two servers.

They have now offerer a solution that will fix your problem, however you are not happy with the price.

I think your request is a fair one, I dont think Bioware will respond.

So long as you dont think its right, which at no stage have I read you think its a right, then why is this thread 8 pages long?

OP has stated he wants a flat fee to fix a issue he wore the brunt of due to Bioware's mistakes. Bioware like most vendors will ignore his plee, unless a large chunk of the community get behind the idea and express it with their wallets, ie: dont use character transfers at all, or go free to play.

Unfortunately the chances of a MMO community rallying behind a individual over a issue that has hardly an impact on them, zero.

If to most people $25 is nothing, then this game didn't have to go the F2P rout to begin with.

Nonsense and completely non-sequitur to the discussion. Now you are just rationalizing to support your demand.

People will pay a lot of money for the oddest things in an MMO, but don't see value in paying a subscription month after month. Not all people of course. Sensible people see the value of paying a sub over pay-2-unlock.

The real point of this thread is YOU demand a flat fee price to move all your characters.... and you want it to be $25 or less. They don't offer it. So you cannot even haggle for it... all you can do is complain about it while pretending that you are offering feedback to Bioware.