Assassin Tanking

lcYrl

Okay so im fairly new at the tanking game... tried doing it with an assassin and that failed horribly... any ideas on how to make a lower level (30) assassin an awesome tank? Any help would be appreciated :p

1: Don't use a lvl10 green saberstaff (kid you not it happened yesterday, with a 30 assassin tank)

2: keep your gear up to date via planet comms. Tanking is not as forgiving as other roles to outdated gear. Access to a cybertech helps here as armoring is the expensive part but also the most usefull. You don't HAVE to update every 2 levels, but try for every 4at least.

3: i forget most of the names but aoe moves are your friends. Even the knockback one can be used from stealth to pack up the split pulls. Use that sexy defensive CD (again i suck at names, but its the one with 15 charges)

4: equip a shield generator. Seriously. Please do.

5: Practise practise practise. Also don't be afraid to LoS pull, though it's even odds the dps or healer won't know/care what that means, or will " lol this isnt HM " you.

That's all i got. It's barebones but better players than me can pretty it up.

Assassin tanks are the worst at 55 already. They are also very poor performers before that too. Due to the lack of abilities and gear you're relying on light armour practically. And well, that explains its'self.

Ouch assassins are really good if one knows how to play it

you guys who claim shadows/assassins are in a good place right now must not read the math provided on the tanking forums. Some of the best tanks out there are re-rolling, or thinking about it. The recent nerfs made them nonviable for end game content.

until 55 sin-/shadow-Tanks are doing fine.

equip a shield check your stance keep the ward up don't hesitate to use def CD's try to stay out of avoidable AOE.

sure a Guardian or PT is easier to heal in tank stance with DD stuff (on low levels),

but the def CD's we get are strong enough to compensate and healing is really easy during the leveling phase.

the real Problems arise at 55 in 16men content and HC/NIM 8men Operations

and can be almost completely avoided if you have two different tanks. (no double sin combination)

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

Assassin tanks are the worst at 55 already. They are also very poor performers before that too. Due to the lack of abilities and gear you're relying on light armour practically. And well, that explains its'self.

They are simply the best for 5 man Flashpoints thanks to high avoidance and shield chance coupled with self healing.

Story mode and hard mode Operations will not give you any trouble because of your choice in tanks, because there are not enought single big hits that lead to sudden deaths to high damage spikes. Remember, for "spikyness" to occur there have to be big single hits in the first place and they are quite limited before nightmare Ops.

Nightmare Ops is doable with Assassins when it comes to Asation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was easier with only PT and Juggernaut for some Encounters instead. Still, even then Assassins have amazing cooldowns with very short timers - Force Cloak alone mitigates tons of damage if used correctly and it is usable in many more sutuations than Saber Reflect, since huge ranged and single target force/tech attacks are actually rather rare.

And I read some interesting thing about Phase Walk today, how +5% healing output for everyone who stands in it isn't a good idea ... for most encounters it's even viable to move to your healers and put it back up once you can since you'll be running around with the boss looking at the other tank on many occasions and for almost all encounters you can predict where the healers will be standing for the duration.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't listen to anything that people post about assassins/shadows being bad tanks. It all depends on the player and stat placement. Assassins/shadows are pretty different in stat placement than vanguards/power techs and guardians/juggernauts . If you learn your class and you learn you stat placement (and preferably make your own spec and rotation if you have the knowledge) you can very well be an amazing tank. There are a lot of people out there who think they know all about tanks but are really completely blind to the matter. I'm not going to get into too much detail but there are a lot of spread sheets that are complete ******** due to missing variables.

Don't listen to anything that people post about assassins/shadows being bad tanks. It all depends on the player and stat placement. Assassins/shadows are pretty different in stat placement than vanguards/power techs and guardians/juggernauts . If you learn your class and you learn you stat placement (and preferably make your own spec and rotation if you have the knowledge) you can very well be an amazing tank. There are a lot of people out there who think they know all about tanks but are really completely blind to the matter. I'm not going to get into too much detail but there are a lot of spread sheets that are complete ******** due to missing variables.

Yes and clearly put yourself in that category :), amazing? pfff mediocre at best at the moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.