[Questions] Guardian PvP Tanking

madtycoon

I started leveling a guardian tank for PvP and have a few questions about them that I couldn't find reliable answers for

Saber Reflect - How does this work? Is it the same as spell reflect for warrior's in WoW? Does it reflect any CC? Does it reflect dots/debuffs back at people? Is there a damage threshold on it? Do you still take range/force/tech damage with it up?

Taunts and Guardian Leap - Does your AoE taunt damage reduction stack with single target taunt? Do they stack with guardian leap or does it take the stronger of the 2 on the target? How does that work?

Focused Defense - Does it tick off dots? Does it heal on guarded damage?

Guard - Is there a way to make guard not cancel immediately if you button mash your hotkey for it or do you just have to get accustomed to hitting the key once when switching it?

End game gearing - Is this best in slot with bolster?

Crafted lvl 54 purple implants/earpiece

PvP lvl 55 relics

Crafted lvl 54 purple wrists, belt, chest (because it costs the least amount of coms?)

2 piece/2 piece PvP lvl 55 main set pieces (guardian leap heal + 1 second on stasis)

PvP lvl 55 mainhand/off-hand

thanks

Saber Reflect - How does this work? Is it the same as spell reflect for warrior's in WoW? Does it reflect any CC? Does it reflect dots/debuffs back at people? Is there a damage threshold on it? Do you still take range/force/tech damage with it up?

"Single target ranged, tech, and force attacks" - You don't take the damage. You'll see it all go "Reflected" instead of being a damage number. Someone else will have to answer the dots and debuffs, I'm usually too busy to notice, but Ill try and watch. The reflected damage has a threshold (IE, the damage they take) but not the stuff incoming. If there is a limit, I've never seen it even with two snipers and a sorc on me.

Taunts and Guardian Leap - Does your AoE taunt damage reduction stack with single target taunt?

No.

Do they stack with guardian leap or does it take the stronger of the 2 on the target? How does that work?

Stacks. Taunt reduces the damage the enemies deal, guardian leap reduces the damage the the ally takes.

I swear it ticks off dots but I could be crazy. I'll watch closer tonight. No on guarded damage, 90% sure on that, Ill also watch that. Edit: Doesn't tick off guarded damage from what Im noticing, 100% sure it ticks off dots.

Guard - Is there a way to make guard not cancel immediately if you button mash your hotkey for it or do you just have to get accustomed to hitting the key once when switching it?

Nope. Just be careful how you use it. I actually have a floated window almost in the center of my screen with Guard, Dispatch, and Riposte so I know when they're available, or in Guard's case, on properly.

Gearing:

Don't know yet with this patch's changes. Conqueror may finally be better than crafted 54s, and from the reports Im seeing, it is. So full PvP gear if everything that has been said in the pvp section is right.

Edited by Maelael

There is a limit on reflect however it is beyond what a player a throw at a guardian, it's like 20k or so. They did that so guardians can't go into a raid and reflect insane damage back, ie failing the green circles in TFB DGs just to reflect the 4 mil damage hit back at the boss

There is a limit on reflect however it is beyond what a player a throw at a guardian, it's like 20k or so. They did that so guardians can't go into a raid and reflect insane damage back, ie failing the green circles in TFB DGs just to reflect the 4 mil damage hit back at the boss

Yes the cap ranks with the skill rank

• 2 weeks later...
I started leveling a guardian tank for PvP and have a few questions about them that I couldn't find reliable answers for

Taunts and Guardian Leap - Does your AoE taunt damage reduction stack with single target taunt? Do they stack with guardian leap or does it take the stronger of the 2 on the target? How does that work?

End game gearing - Is this best in slot with bolster?

Crafted lvl 54 purple implants/earpiece

PvP lvl 55 relics

Crafted lvl 54 purple wrists, belt, chest (because it costs the least amount of coms?)

2 piece/2 piece PvP lvl 55 main set pieces (guardian leap heal + 1 second on stasis)

PvP lvl 55 mainhand/off-hand

thanks

Saber Reflect won't reflect a DoT but you won't be Dotted. It does not reflect CC, you will be CC'd through Saber reflect but continue to reflect damage. You will not take any ranged damage with Saber Reflect up, whether it's white or yellow damage, however you will take melee range ability damage. Saber Reflect is capped at a damage threshold for certain abilities, but some abilities will still reflect harder than others (Aimed Shot will reflect a lot harder than flurry of bolts).

Taunt damage reductions do not stack with each other, however the timer does. If you put a taunt on someone (6 seconds of damage reduction) and someone else puts a taunt on them 2 seconds later they will be taunted for a total of 8 seconds for the same amount of damage reduction. Guardian Leap stacks with taunt since it reduces the incoming damage on the target and not the outgoing damage of enemy players.

Focused Defense is triggered by both DoTs and incomming Guard damage.

Guard is kind of slow on applying, its something you learn to deal with.

Conqueror gear is better except for your second relic slot in which currently a matrix cube is best in slot.

• 2 weeks later...

About Crushing Darkness and Mind Crush: only direct initial damage of these abilities will be reflected and DoT from it will applied through Relfect.

I think this may be a bug.

Edited by GNWP