The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

19/27/0 - Ironyballs spec

Full dps gear, except shield generator. One relic to shield proc, 2nd to dps internal damage proc every 4.5 sec. Ion cell.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdozZrsrrobRkzM.3

* Great survivability: 50% damage reduction, 24/24 shield/absorb, -30% from aoe, -30% when stunned

* Good utility: taunts, harpoon every 35 sec, Riot Gas -30% accuracy debuff 15 sec every 1 min, guard, shoulder cannon

* Average damage, ~1550 primary with 22% crit chance

* Playstyle same with classic assault / pyro: you use Gut instead of Incendiary Round

* Good ammo/heat management

I play it with my vanguard Ironyballs of ToFN and call its "Ironyballs" spec :D

Try it too!

/discuss

Full dps gear, except shield generator. One relic to shield proc, 2nd to dps internal damage proc every 4.5 sec. Ion cell.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdozZrsrrobRkzM.3

* Great survivability: 50% damage reduction, 24/24 shield/absorb, -30% from aoe, -30% when stunned

* Good utility: taunts, harpoon every 35 sec, Riot Gas -30% accuracy debuff 15 sec every 1 min, guard, shoulder cannon

* Average damage, ~1550 primary with 22% crit chance

* Playstyle same with classic assault / pyro: you use Gut instead of Incendiary Round

* Good ammo/heat management

I play it with my vanguard Ironyballs of ToFN and call its "Ironyballs" spec :D

Try it too!

/discuss

Humm I shall try this on my VG when I cap it. will do this next weekend anyway. Looks interesting.

/sigh

So...hmmm..ok...its great that people are creating all these different types of specs...but the problem is that we are still horribly nerfed.

I really wish this damn cantina thing came to atlanta cause I would be like ***!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I tried it, liked it. The class however is weak.

Yes, after 2.0 class weak and pretty much useless.

As tank, I prefer my guardian or ever shadow much more; as dps I prefer my any other dps (guardian, sentinel, shadow, gunslinger), probably except only my dps scoundrel (but scrapper a lot of fun at least and dirty fighting can some more useless fluffy dps)... :(

Vanguard tanks aren't underpowered. -___-

Don't lie to yourself.

Best damage mitigation in game... thats about it. Good luck winning a rated hutt ball vs a good team with two vanguard tanks while the other team has a knight and a shadow :D

Best damage mitigation in game... thats about it. Good luck winning a rated hutt ball vs a good team with two vanguard tanks while the other team has a knight and a shadow :D

Wait, because you can't use two in a rated Huttball makes the class bad? One in a Huttball rated is fine.

I'm tired of people crying underpowered. I know several people who still do phenomenal with PT DPS, and tanking is the strength of the class nowadays. The class is perfectly balanced now.

While spec got the nice protection and is useful for defensive phases of warzones, it lacks one ability that tank offers - storm. And by all means it is the single handedly the best Hutball ability you can have (due to immobilize).

Besides our role on Hutball would be to cause chaos and slow the enemy "tempo" game. Hit and run tactic where you immobilize, slow is much better. For that you want storm and harpoon updated from shield spec.

Now from my experience, you want ether full tank (with storm), or the hybrid with DPS to burst down ball carrier (Jumping Stormtrooper21/3/22 - running plasma cell).

21/3/22 is fragile, but it have some advantages over full tank - most notably HIB rotation, which gives you edge when dpsing ballcarrier.

Both specs should kill mostly in hazards, but the additional burst for finishing ball carrier is nice.

As for your spec i would say it is nice for Voidstar defense, to survive stun periods near doors, and massive AOEs.

Edited by Nezyrworks

While spec got the nice protection and is useful for defensive phases of warzones, it lacks one ability that tank offers - storm. And by all means it is the single handedly the best Hutball ability you can have (due to immobilize).

Besides our role on Hutball would be to cause chaos and slow the enemy "tempo" game. Hit and run tactic where you immobilize, slow is much better. For that you want storm and harpoon updated from shield spec.

Now from my experience, you want ether full tank (with storm), or the hybrid with DPS to burst down ball carrier (Jumping Stormtrooper21/3/22 - running plasma cell).

21/3/22 is fragile, but it have some advantages over full tank - most notably HIB rotation, which gives you edge when dpsing ballcarrier.

Both specs should kill mostly in hazards, but the additional burst for finishing ball carrier is nice.

As for your spec i would say it is nice for Voidstar defense, to survive stun periods near doors, and massive AOEs.

If you're playing a Huttball as a tank, I don't know why you just wouldn't use this spec.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrdMrRZrkrrobRoz.3

Best Huttball spec for a VG tank there is.

If you're playing a Huttball as a tank, I don't know why you just wouldn't use this spec.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrdMrRZrkrrobRoz.3

Best Huttball spec for a VG tank there is.

As i told u. I use FULL TANK OR JUMPING STORMTROOPER that only depends on the situation. The later one is much better in finishing off the ball carrier and would be ball receivers.

As i told u. I use FULL TANK OR JUMPING STORMTROOPER that only depends on the situation. The later one is much better in finishing off the ball carrier and would be ball receivers.

Jumping Stormtrooper seems weird to me, only seems viable if you're mainly a DPS.

By Full Tank do you mean 36 points? Because Energy Blast is pointless as a ballcarrier in Huttball.

I hate "storm" animation, its looks and feels broken, huge delay and cannot compared with smooth force leap my guardian or sentinel or ever with jet jump of powertech. This again bioware's imperial's favoritism in animations. Reps side looks bad.

Also, storm is offensive ability, not defensive. For example, guardian have jump too, but he have guardian leap back to healer, so he can jump there and jump back and its works fine. However, vanguard cannot jump back to healer and its wrong.

Also, game mechanics of vanguard is gather all enemies around, use harpoon, riot gas, slow with gut, immobilize with stealth scan and slow all around. Storm cannot help in it.

And i find -30% damage when stunned plus -30% from aoe/smash much more valuable than power screen on top shield tree, cuz shield mechanics cannot parry critical strikes and any investment in shield useless with smashfest and stunfest on warzones.

I move some points into Defensive Measures from Overcharged Cell Capacitor, so my updated build is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrdRzZrsrrobRkzM.3 - more control, a bit less damage.

Edited by TonyDragonflame

Wait, because you can't use two in a rated Huttball makes the class bad? One in a Huttball rated is fine.

I'm tired of people crying underpowered. I know several people who still do phenomenal with PT DPS, and tanking is the strength of the class nowadays. The class is perfectly balanced now.

Lol.... Fair enough just saying the class over all is under powered compared to the other two tanking classes both in DPS and Tanking, you're entitled to your opinion as am I. :D (This is the part where you call me a noob and say "learn to play you noob the VG/PT class is SOOO good right now OH YA BABY!!!")

Its people like you who are responsible for classes like the Merc/Mando taking over a year to get buffed.

*something is obviously wrong with a class the class forums are over flowing with petition threads pleading to the devs for changes*

Yet people like you who are so oblivious to simple facts in front of your face are the people the devs pay attention to so they can sit in their offices and pat themselves on the back.

These people with sunny disposition.:cool:

Edited by mfourcustom

I hate "storm" animation, its looks and feels broken, huge delay and cannot compared with smooth force leap my guardian or sentinel or ever with jet jump of powertech. This again bioware's imperial's favoritism in animations. Reps side looks bad.

Also, storm is offensive ability, not defensive. For example, guardian have jump too, but he have guardian leap back to healer, so he can jump there and jump back and its works fine. However, vanguard cannot jump back to healer and its wrong.

Also, game mechanics of vanguard is gather all enemies around, use harpoon, riot gas, slow with gut, immobilize with stealth scan and slow all around. Storm cannot help in it.

And i find -30% damage when stunned plus -30% from aoe/smash much more valuable than power screen on top shield tree, cuz shield mechanics cannot parry critical strikes and any investment in shield useless with smashfest and stunfest on warzones.

I move some points into Defensive Measures from Overcharged Cell Capacitor, so my updated build is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrdRzZrsrrobRkzM.3 - more control, a bit less damage.

Storm/Jet Charge (because i play both PT and VG) can be used defensively! How? Your offense is your defense! Well it is a rooting tool, than slows the game pace. Every 30 seconds you have the ability to root for 3 sec, slowing guys that would receive pass, or slowing/rooting guys that are trying to get back and defend. Used wisely on goups in combination with oil slick/riot gass and shrap stachel or hyper assault cell can lock down whole groups (Add the slowing or seismic grenades and vouala). (I do play PT more and jet charge animation is fine, while i agree that storm over hazards/jump platforms behaves oddly and should be fixed)

Your task should be to slow enemy gameplan as much as possible: Having slow on ether ion cell or plasma cell, slow on Explosive surge, harpoon root, riot gass, storm root, cryo grenade and neural surge (add also gut for tank) you can shut down huge amount of players, and when they are focusing you storm the other side of the mid.

Utility is what makes the difference.

Now why would you take Jumping stormtrooper? Well it is designed for dps vanguards, and came from an idea to have a guys that can not only dps (which is important only on ballcariers), but can do something else, while retaining the HIB reset and standard pyro rotation.

We are 2 pyros in the guild going for this and quite frankly the scenario of having a crowd control in hutball is very nice. We did rated with it, and we saw this spec success.

Edited by Nezyrworks

Jumping Stormtrooper seems weird to me, only seems viable if you're mainly a DPS.

By Full Tank do you mean 36 points? Because Energy Blast is pointless as a ballcarrier in Huttball.

this "jumping stormtrooper" is nothing but a revival of the carolina parakeet spec.

you get slightly lower dps and more mobility/utility than classic dps spc which is nice in HB.

this "jumping stormtrooper" is nothing but a revival of the carolina parakeet spec.

you get slightly lower dps and more mobility/utility than classic dps spc which is nice in HB.

Agree :).

For my colleagues it works. And it have the punch tank is missing.

Correction the class as a tank is viable now, not balanced. Unlike pre 2.0 van tanks can fulfill the frontline tank role, however the vanguard has nothing to bring to the table that a guardian does not have.

With 2.0 changes guardians have almost similar dtps (not typo) to vanguards at least in PvP, but the guardian brings a second leap, gaurdianship talent, speed boost via guard, etc.

The only notable strengths of th VG is better AoE and snares, however neither are so good to offset the guardian's vastly better utility and focusfire survivability.

Correction the class as a tank is viable now, not balanced. Unlike pre 2.0 van tanks can fulfill the frontline tank role, however the vanguard has nothing to bring to the table that a guardian does not have.

With 2.0 changes guardians have almost similar dtps (not typo) to vanguards at least in PvP, but the guardian brings a second leap, gaurdianship talent, speed boost via guard, etc.

The only notable strengths of th VG is better AoE and snares, however neither are so good to offset the guardian's vastly better utility and focusfire survivability.

You forgot to mention speed on storm, hold the line, 3 sec immobilization on harpoon, and MUCH better snares. For hutball 3 sec immo on harpoon by itself IS a vastly superior weapon. If you also add the hold the line, you got something guardians do not have.

Because of the snare abilities Vanguard have, he should be utilized as an offense and defense assist (midfielder) rather than the primary forward striker. Your role is to immobilize, snare and stun and pull, and jump and pull, and weaken the midfielders, offense and defense of the enemy team. Trust me noone does that better because of on demand AOE snare, riot gas, and many others. You assist the goals, and can become the scorer IF needed, but otherwise you guard the striker with your unplesant arsenal of tricks (and not killing the defenders to prevent them from killing/pushing your striker from scoring on the very last second).

To be honest, vanguard class in any spec is total sh*t atm. If i want go dps, i go my sentinel, shadow, guardian or gunslinger. If i want tank, i go my guardian or shadow again. I think I put my vanguard on shelf, near to my scrapper scoundrel. :( Edited by TonyDragonflame

Lol.... Fair enough just saying the class over all is under powered compared to the other two tanking classes both in DPS and Tanking, you're entitled to your opinion as am I. :D (This is the part where you call me a noob and say "learn to play you noob the VG/PT class is SOOO good right now OH YA BABY!!!")

Its people like you who are responsible for classes like the Merc/Mando taking over a year to get buffed.

*something is obviously wrong with a class the class forums are over flowing with petition threads pleading to the devs for changes*

Yet people like you who are so oblivious to simple facts in front of your face are the people the devs pay attention to so they can sit in their offices and pat themselves on the back.

These people with sunny disposition.:cool:

Sorry, haven't really been on the forum in the week to respond.

I feel I should clarify. I think it's "balanced", and everything else is just overpowered. :p My definition of some things are kind of different. Yea, we can't really do anything better than the other two tank classes, and I really prefer my Juggernaut for straight-up tanking. I think that Assault needs a buff to bring itself back up to par with everything else. It can still put up numbers, but the burst is mostly gone. Tanking needs something more imo too.

Sorry if I came off kind of harsh, I was super tired after an all-nighter that day. ;_;

You forgot to mention speed on storm, hold the line, 3 sec immobilization on harpoon, and MUCH better snares. For hutball 3 sec immo on harpoon by itself IS a vastly superior weapon. If you also add the hold the line, you got something guardians do not have.

Because of the snare abilities Vanguard have, he should be utilized as an offense and defense assist (midfielder) rather than the primary forward striker. Your role is to immobilize, snare and stun and pull, and jump and pull, and weaken the midfielders, offense and defense of the enemy team. Trust me noone does that better because of on demand AOE snare, riot gas, and many others. You assist the goals, and can become the scorer IF needed, but otherwise you guard the striker with your unplesant arsenal of tricks (and not killing the defenders to prevent them from killing/pushing your striker from scoring on the very last second).

Ok, read my first paragraph again. Yes vanguards have all those meat tricks mentioned, but then look at what juggernuats have. Spam able AoE snare, friendly leap (gives target mitigation bonus too), a cooldowns reset on their leap, wayyy better cooldowns, speed boost from just guarding someone, oh and don't forget they can bubble all their teamates with AoE tuant (jugg AoE tuant also effects a way larger area than the VG one)

I will give you the better snare options over jugs, but we fall short in every other catagory, and not every warzone is huttball

Viable yes, but their is no reason at all to take a VG tank if you can have a guardian instead.

Ok, read my first paragraph again. Yes vanguards have all those meat tricks mentioned, but then look at what juggernuats have. Spam able AoE snare, friendly leap (gives target mitigation bonus too), a cooldowns reset on their leap, wayyy better cooldowns, speed boost from just guarding someone, oh and don't forget they can bubble all their teamates with AoE tuant (jugg AoE tuant also effects a way larger area than the VG one)

I will give you the better snare options over jugs, but we fall short in every other catagory, and not every warzone is huttball

Viable yes, but their is no reason at all to take a VG tank if you can have a guardian instead.

Spamable AOE Snare: Explosive Surge (also damages and reduces damage done by targets affected by 5%)

Haarpoon: is a weapon you do not have as a jugg (and yes it is that powerful with the 3sec root) (friendly leap vs this)

Speed boost from Storm - refreshes after you took damage (you can take it or not, but yeah - it is there)

Speed boost from Hold the line (nothing more to explain)

Shoulder Cannon and Adrenaline Rush heals - this is not just a fluff for full tank.

Vanguard tank plays abit different role than jugg. As i said he is not the striker that goes for a goal, but rather a center player who hampers the enemy gameplay.

PS. I had noticed your Vanguard name - my PT name is Kannith :)