The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Starwars 7 storyline vs books "Fate of the Jedi" series. !Book Spoilers!

Bommariva

Dont read on if you have NOT read "Fate of the Jedi" series and plan to.

About 3 years ago i was introduced to the starwars novels and since then i have read over 25 books including Fate of the Jedi 1 - 9. I really got into it and i like to believe that everything is connected as far as Starwars lore goes. I recently read an article about Starwars 7 stating that the story was going to be completely original.

Im just wondering, is anybody else slightly bothered by this? Or is this just the inevitable change that an aging fan must accept with all things he or she is interested in?

When i first heard there would be a Starwars 7 the first thing i thought was " Will the characters we know be in it?" Well as we pretty much know, they will. Well if you look at the ages of the actors and the ages of the characters according to the Fate of the Jedi series it seems we have a pretty nice match as far as time goes. In fact SW7 could totally take off from where the series ends.

Now im sure im not alone when i say how awesome that would have been, i mean the story (SW7) could still be original, it would only have to include the main characters that have since joined the original characters in the future. In my opinion they are very fun characters that have been carefully thought of by numerous professional writers over YEARS, and i just feel like it will ruin everything for me if they are non existent in the following movies.

Characters like the new Jedi council, Saba Sabitine, Lukes son Ben, Jaina Solo!! She is like the new Mace Windu! and a ton of other colorful characters. If they are non existent in the new SW7, wont that be a bit of a kick in the face for readers?

For me it makes sense making the movies as if all the novels actually happened as they are very well written to coincide with Starwars lore.

Im just curious on peoples thoughts (who like to read the novels) and see what people think about it. I guess if you are not a reader then you probably couldnt care less, and i could agree if it was 1 or 2 novels, but 20 to 30 novels? Thats a lot of story that could get crapped on.

I realize that Disney needs to make some money and that they have to appeal to a "newer" audience, but isnt there a way to do that and still include some reference of all the novels written after Return of the Jedi?

Maybe i just finally understand how all those first gen fans felt after SW 1-3 were made....

Thoughts?

Well after a quick read of the wiki page on "Star Wars Canon" all the content you describe belongs to the third tier of canon, ie: it can be overwritten by Lucas or any officially endorsed TV shows (like Clone Wars), Lucas ofc now being Disney, they can whatever they like. Imo, the less importance placed on the original cast and their descendants the better. Always bored me.

I'm kinda mixed on it. I own nearly every book from allegiance to Armageddon. And I agree that there are characters & stories I'd love to see brought to the big screen. (Ben, saba, jacen, Janna, Anakin, taharri, tenel-ka, Lowie, Mara, & my favorite new droid rowdy! ) but at the same time, there are elements I don't want to see....(namely jacens fall & the deaths of chewie, Anakin, & Mara.) So. I guess with me its yes & no.

I really hope the rumors that Ep VII being about Jacen's downfall aren't true. While I like some of the post-ROTJ EU stories, I'd prefer to be given something new rather than any of the series retold on the big screen.

I'm kinda mixed on it. I own nearly every book from allegiance to Armageddon. And I agree that there are characters & stories I'd love to see brought to the big screen. (Ben, saba, jacen, Janna, Anakin, taharri, tenel-ka, Lowie, Mara, & my favorite new droid rowdy! ) but at the same time, there are elements I don't want to see....(namely jacens fall & the deaths of chewie, Anakin, & Mara.) So. I guess with me its yes & no.

I have to correct you on a couple of the character names. It's Jaina, not Janna. This irritates me most because I am a HUGE Jaina Solo fan ;). The other is Tahiri, not Taharri. I just could notlet those names go misspelled. :D

Edited by Kilikaa

Good to know there are some fans of the novels. Nice to hear peoples opinions too.

Even though some of the books are Epic ( like Thrawn trilogy, Jedi Academy, NJO and FOTJ series) I totally wouldnt mind if they didnt do any of those stories ( i seriously doubt they would anyway), because while they are awesome the original characters that we want to see in the S7 are now too old to pass as 20 - 30 years younger and there is so much story written afterwards (apart from FOTJ). Yeah, yeah, yeah CG and photo shop editing could fix all that, but why bother? they still have to appeal to a new, younger and easily distracted generation meaning something original and fresh would work best. I get that, they need to ensure financial profit for the next 50 years.

All i would really love to see in S7 is a continuation from the last books FOTJ series and include SOME of the characters that have been around for ages. Ok, fine, im talking about Jaina Solo. Luke cant be the strongest, best Jedi forever, so either way they need to introduce more stars, they have so many to choose from, so for me if they go completely original and make up new characters that would seem like a waste of time when you already have so many good ones. Continuing from the FOTJ series would make sense time wise and not disrupt any originality in the new story. Like the continuation of Iron man 3 and the Avengers story.

Im certain Disney will make S7 eye candy and perhaps even stray away from the Corny Lucas dialog (and hopefully add a butt more violence), I guess all i hope is that there is some homage to the brilliant characters in the novels written between ROTJ and S7.

It will be very interesting to see how many years after ROTJ the new film will take place. I guess everyone has their own fantasy on how S7 should be and perhaps im just a dreamer that might be in for a bit of a shock LOL. Oh well, im still gonna watch it and so are you.

I'm actually expecting Disney to kinda follow/adapt from the "young Jedi knights" series of books. The main characters were Jacen, Jaina, Lowie, & Tenel-ka (& Em-Teedee of course lol) the OG 3 only made small appearances. I'd like to see them add Anakin & Ben to that mix & see it based on their training & rise to full knighthood.