The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How is Revan godlike?

Lathari

This game, any game, loses my attention when it's toons become retarded powerful.

The Force, as a hokey religion, is far more interesting.

When I last played Revan, he was a level 20 that needed the occasional stimpak, and Malak was a fallen Jedi that died and stayed dead.

It all just brings to mind a line from a Star Trek movie... "why does God need a starship?"

To relate that to Star Wars, it's become "why do these retarded powerful toons need lightsabers?"

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for curiosities sake, has the newest expansion changed anyone's views on Revan?

Well , i can only tell ya that i am glad that i now get to kill him on a weekly basis , i love the fact that hes now the Kenny of the SW universe. This is how much i despise him and this is because of all the crap that the fanboys did to him. They cried so much that he dies in the foundry that BW actually dedicated an expansion ending and begging to killing him.

I loved the character in KOTOR and loved the references to him in KOTOR 2 , but he should NOT have been in this at all , or if he was , he should have remained in in the FP we flatted him .

This game is about 8 of the most powerful people in this era of the SW universe , it is only natural for 4 of them to obliterate a relic of the past that has been kept in cold storage and mind raped for 3 centimes. But apparently people did not get that and needed him more .

My only regret is that i can't get a stronghold decoration with his skull , so i can put it in a room that i designated as the bathroom and use it as a crapper.

This game, any game, loses my attention when it's toons become retarded powerful.

The Force, as a hokey religion, is far more interesting.

When I last played Revan, he was a level 20 that needed the occasional stimpak, and Malak was a fallen Jedi that died and stayed dead.

It all just brings to mind a line from a Star Trek movie... "why does God need a starship?"

To relate that to Star Wars, it's become "why do these retarded powerful toons need lightsabers?"

I would have to agree on you with that. Which is why I don't much care for the Revan book or that he showed up at all in this game or the dumb *** emperor who is such a lame villain it's mind numbing. Since the original movies it seems that all the fiction has been amping up the power levels of everybody and making it just completely ridiculous.

Just for curiosities sake, has the newest expansion changed anyone's views on Revan?

Well, regarding his power, it actually made me reconsider his strengh. He takes on a player character, Darth Marr, Satele Shan, a powerful mandolorian bounty hunter, top-1 republic SIS agent, not the weakest Sith Lord and well... a wookie. As far as Lana and Jakarro doesn't seem very powerful, the others are impressive in a team( to challenge head of the Dark Council and Grand Master of the Jedi Order is admirable treat itself, now, with the others it's something something. I do not mention player char here, because it could be anyone from Darth Nox to the Smuggler, ). From the other side, every possibility is a game canon, so canon wise Revan still should pose a threat to the teams with the force using player characters.

We shouldn't consider in-game abilities and mechanics, but I thought they wanted to make it clear that Revan can use both light and dark side. Lightside on a smaller scale, of course, but it should count for something.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, regarding his power, it actually made me reconsider his strengh. He takes on a player character, Darth Marr, Satele Shan, a powerful mandolorian bounty hunter, top-1 republic SIS agent, not the weakest Sith Lord and well... a wookie. As far as Lana and Jakarro doesn't seem very powerful, the others are impressive in a team( to challenge head of the Dark Council and Grand Master of the Jedi Order is admirable treat itself, now, with the others it's something something. I do not mention player char here, because it could be anyone from Darth Nox to the Smuggler, ). From the other side, every possibility is a game canon, so canon wise Revan still should pose a threat to the teams with the force using player characters.

We shouldn't consider in-game abilities and mechanics, but I thought they wanted to make it clear that Revan can use both light and dark side. Lightside on a smaller scale, of course, but it should count for something.

Consider this, the Revan that Marr, Satele and everyone fought? Well that was basically (the Dark Side) HALF of Revan.

The Light Side half was hovering seperate as a ghost.

Imagine how much power Revan would have displayed if he was whole.

Consider this, the Revan that Marr, Satele and everyone fought? Well that was basically (the Dark Side) HALF of Revan.

The Light Side half was hovering seperate as a ghost.

Imagine how much power Revan would have displayed if he was whole.

He wouldn't be twice as powerful with the light side spirit inside of his body. He didn't lose half of his power when he split. You aren't powered by two sides and using "Both sides" of the force doesn't make you stronger either. It doesn't work that way. The light represented Peace, serenity, compassion, mercy, and rationality. This he lost. The dark side portion of him is what's in control.

In terms of raw power he was probably stronger in that moment than he's ever been. However, he lacks the above virtues which would have possibly led him to victory. The brilliant mind he had once possessed was fragmented and incapable of being used to it's fullest. In short we're left with a broken madman.

Why stronger than he's ever been? In terms of raw potential he doesn't have the aforementioned traits holding him back when it comes to using the dark side so he was capable of using it to the absolute fullest. Remember, part of the reason that caused the split to occur in the first place was his desire to defeat the Emperor. Considering the Emperor only defeated him through overpowering him it makes sense that the Dark part of himself would want to cast out the Light so it can then in return gain the power to overthrow the Emperor. Problem is fighting fire with fire in star wars never works.

In a way his single mindedness became much like the very man he was fighting.

Edited by Rhyltran

He wouldn't be twice as powerful with the light side spirit inside of his body. He didn't lose half of his power when he split. You aren't powered by two sides and using "Both sides" of the force doesn't make you stronger either. It doesn't work that way. The light represented Peace, serenity, compassion, mercy, and rationality. This he lost. The dark side portion of him is what's in control.

In terms of raw power he was probably stronger in that moment than he's ever been. However, he lacks the above virtues which would have possibly led him to victory. The brilliant mind he had once possessed was fragmented and incapable of being used to it's fullest. In short we're left with a broken madman.

Why stronger than he's ever been? In terms of raw potential he doesn't have the aforementioned traits holding him back when it comes to using the dark side so he was capable of using it to the absolute fullest. Remember, part of the reason that caused the split to occur in the first place was his desire to defeat the Emperor. Considering the Emperor only defeated him through overpowering him it makes sense that the Dark part of himself would want to cast out the Light so it can then in return gain the power to overthrow the Emperor. Problem is fighting fire with fire in star wars never works.

In a way his single mindedness became much like the very man he was fighting.

Actually fighting fire with fire can be a useful strategy if a forest fires about to durn down a town starting a smaller controlled fire in its path to burn up the fuel can be one of the better ways to stop it. They did the same thing after the San Francisco earth quake by useing dynamite to to blow up and burn down buildings in the main fires path. Your argument is flawed

Oh and the real aw sver is he's a former player character people get attached and tend to inflate the power of character they have "been" to high levels

Edited by Jrr_hypernova

Actually fighting fire with fire can be a useful strategy if a forest fires about to durn down a town starting a smaller controlled fire in its path to burn up the fuel can be one of the better ways to stop it. They did the same thing after the San Francisco earth quake by useing dynamite to to blow up and burn down buildings in the main fires path. Your argument is flawed

Oh and the real aw sver is he's a former player character people get attached and tend to inflate the power of character they have "been" to high levels

However, it said "Problem is fighting fire with fire in star wars never works.", not that "fighting fire with fire never works." So your argument about HIS argument being flawed, is in reality flawed :rolleyes:

That being said, just to well, point out that your argument was flawed for the fun of it, you're still however 100% right.

Anakin overpowered Dooku by unleashing his anger (Dark side), hence fighting darkness with darkness.

Luke overpowered Vader by unleashing his anger, hence the same story.

So, unless I'm completely lost atm, fire with fire works in the movies and should then, logically, work here as well.

Is it any case, in the movies, where fighting fire with fire does not work? Maybe. But it does however work as well, just like in real life. As you pointed out, even though the accused never said anything about our real lives, only about Star wars.

And well, of course, your last answer about the reason is correct, but we can always say that. Why did Vader save Luke? Because Lucas said so! Because we, the viewers, wanted the good guys to win. That's how ficiton is. Saying "Revan is stronger than earlier because Bioware wanted to satisfy the players" is true but that's how most fiction is. So it's irrelevant. Why he's suddenly so powerful should be discussed in terms of in-game lore.

And @LordCJK,

I don't wanna necro your answer, but I feel like I have to. Lana Beniko, while not "all powerful", is still likely more powerful than both Theron and Vizla, while he's a good agent (agents keep in the shadow, hence less useful against force users) and Vizla is a decent mandalorian, but she's still force-blind and well, as shown with Jango vs Mace, it's a no brainer. She can't really help as much as Lana can. (idk if you considered them to be powerful, but since you just mentioned Lana and the wookie as "not powerful" and called the others impressive; I just assume that you meant that) and lorwise I'd go so far as to say that half the playable characters would do much, much less to help the group defeat Revan. In terms of, well, Star Wars lore and all. That half being the "force blind" half, as they're, no matter how effictive they are, not that useful vs an expert force user. This is of course annoying for people that wanna be smuglers or soldiers or whatever, but it's how Star wars is.

Edited by Leaveshill

That's real life not star wars. "The ends justify the means" is a running theme in star wars and it doesn't work. It always leads to the dark side. It always does more harm than good. That's how star wars works. His body was running on pure dark side so here's how that would work. He defeats the Emperor (assuming he has succeeded) and since he was running on pure dark side he becomes the next major threat to the galaxy. That's how it works in star wars. At least when it comes to force sensitives.

Edited by Rhyltran

He used to be pretty cool. But his arch should've died 12 years ago.

(minor spoilers for kotor & kotor 2, but it's been over a decade so you had plenty of time to play both games ;d)

Onto his power, I don't even think he was the greatest jedi of his time. I mean, the exile post traya encounter is ridiculously strong. Gaining EXP, the game mechanic, is pretty much described in the lore as one of her abilities. So while Revan was an excellent jedi, and the exile was a mediocre one, her potential is near infinite. NOT TO MENTION, she was able to turn force sensitives into powerful jedi, that founded the jedi order we see in TOR.

In addition her affinity to form bonds is just ridonk. While Revan deserves credit for recruiting jedi to the mandalorian war, you have to remember it was a time of turmoil, and many jedi already wanted to join the war. Revan just sort of gave them the final push. I guess you could compare it to hitler and nazi germany if we wanna go down that road.

Dunno how many of them she canonically turns to jedi, but at least mical and brianna.

Anyway, this is now an exile praise thread!

He used to be pretty cool. But his arch should've died 12 years ago.

(minor spoilers for kotor & kotor 2, but it's been over a decade so you had plenty of time to play both games ;d)

Onto his power, I don't even think he was the greatest jedi of his time. I mean, the exile post traya encounter is ridiculously strong. Gaining EXP, the game mechanic, is pretty much described in the lore as one of her abilities. So while Revan was an excellent jedi, and the exile was a mediocre one, her potential is near infinite. NOT TO MENTION, she was able to turn force sensitives into powerful jedi, that founded the jedi order we see in TOR.

In addition her affinity to form bonds is just ridonk. While Revan deserves credit for recruiting jedi to the mandalorian war, you have to remember it was a time of turmoil, and many jedi already wanted to join the war. Revan just sort of gave them the final push. I guess you could compare it to hitler and nazi germany if we wanna go down that road.

Dunno how many of them she canonically turns to jedi, but at least mical and brianna.

Anyway, this is now an exile praise thread!

The exile is confirmed weaker in power to Revan. Revan is much stronger than the Exile. This is confirmed by the writers as well as the Revan novel. In fact, the writers claimed in a two versus one match Revan would defeat both Kreia and the Exile.

The exile is confirmed weaker in power to Revan. Revan is much stronger than the Exile. This is confirmed by the writers as well as the Revan novel. In fact, the writers claimed in a two versus one match Revan would defeat both Kreia and the Exile.

There's also

by Scourge, in-universe, where he states the Exile, once reunited with Revan, was once more his student.

Regardless, I still prefer to envision they complemented one another.

The same writers that forced revan down our throat for how many FPs now? Remember there were different writers in both games, ofc bioware, since they had the original idea wouldn't let other characters be stronger. It's called spite. If you look at their feats the exile is obviously stronger.

The same writers that forced revan down our throat for how many FPs now? Remember there were different writers in both games, ofc bioware, since they had the original idea wouldn't let other characters be stronger. It's called spite. If you look at their feats the exile is obviously stronger.

Actually, Chris Avellone, the lead writer for KotOR II, was the one who stated he considered Revan to be stronger than both the Exile and Kreia.

On the contrary, the people working for this game were fairly mindful and respectful towards the Exile, never once clearly enforcing that Revan was superior to the her. In fact...

Were it not for the Exile, it is inferred Revan would have been unable to sustain himself against the Emperor, throughout the three hundred years he was his prisoner.

The Exile was also the one who made his release possible to begin with.

Am i one of the only people hear who think the plot of Kotor 2 was multiple times better than that of the original Kotor

it's multiple times better than almost all Star Wars media.

What the hell does ''confirmed'' mean? All that matters is that he(she) gave the feeling and vibe of being stronger in the game in which the character actually appeared.+ everyone knows that Bioware was jealous of the Exile so they decided to coup d'etat her in the Revan novel in favour of their own prince.

Edited by Kaedusz

it's multiple times better than almost all Star Wars media.

What the hell does ''confirmed'' mean? All that matters is that he(she) gave the feeling and vibe of being stronger in the game in which the character actually appeared.+ everyone knows that Bioware was jealous of the Exile so they decided to coup d'etat her in the Revan novel in favour of their own prince.

Doesn't matter what they did. The exile was in the novel and was weaker than Revan. This is where the two characters existed side by side. The exile is not as powerful as Revan. You also ignored the post above yours as well. Sorry, the lead writer of KOTOR 2 has stated that the exile and Kreia together could not defeat Revan. The exile is weaker than Revan. It IS confirmed. Both in the novel and by Chris Avellone.

So much so that he even said if Revan got force severed he'd be able to hold off long enough to STILL beat the exile. The exile cannot defeat Revan.

Edited by Rhyltran

Got the directors mixed up. But to be honest their word hold little value. Ok. Revan is stronger than the exile, in the canon.

But if we analyze their feats and how their power was presented in each game you have to admit the exile is stronger than Revan.

I'd like to see them pitch the fight though, would probably just be some major pis fest with a lot of plot armor involved.

I think Revan is definitely one of the great force-users in Star Wars.

I think what makes him one of the greatest is not just the accomplishments that he achieved but the fact that we, as an audience, got an in-depth examination of him and felt him as an actual person. He was ultimately a very complicated, conflicted individual -- that's one of the reasons why he was so great. He was a jedi that struggled with his convictions and his passions -- his decision to go fight in the Mandalorian Wars was one of the most important conflicts within the Jedi order. KOTOR 2 was an exploration of Revan's choices, his decisions that forever changed the galaxy.

Revan has a lot of parallels to Anakin Skywalker in that regard -- a powerful force user that made decisions that severely impacted the jedi order. Both were incredibly skilled warriors. There is no question that it was Revan that single handedly turned the tide of the Mandalorian Wars when the Republic was getting their a*** handed to them. He was someone who exposed to the alleged arrogance of the Jedi council and really brought into question the relevance of the Jedi teachings in the face of an awful onslaught that the Council was willing to do nothing about.

Ultimately, it's not about Revan being 'godlike' but rather being one of the greatest force-users ever -- not just because of his technical abilities but because of who he was as a person. He was able to inspire not just the huge swathes of Jedi to leave the order and fight in the Mandalorian Wars but he was also able to inspire we, the audience, in such a way that we question the Jedi order and the Jedi code -- and, by extension morality -- from a new perspective.

just sayin'.

• 2 weeks later...