Level 54 gear

sirullrich

PvP is all about testing your skills against other players

PvE is all about smashing a raid dummy for loot

What would be the point if no one had to gear themselves? No one would play anymore. IMO PvPers should not want or need a carrot on a stick to want to PvP in competitive games. So the lower barrier to entry the better.

Like I said why do I need gear to be smashing a raid dummy for loot. Why do I need a carrot on a stick in PVE when you are doing the same thing over and over. The big issue is that PVE players feel that PVP players don't like to grind gear. Just because PVE players don't want to grind PVP gear doesn't mean PVP players don't want to grind. PVP players don't like to grind PVE gear but we are forced to grind the gear if we want to do high end PVE OPS. If you want to play rateds then you should have PVP gear to play rateds NOT PVE GEAR!!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, It doesn't make a difference in the long run. I was simply stating my opinion like the rest of you. There are no exclusive PVP titles or mounts like in wow, so the urgency of when this bolster problem gets rectified is irreverent (I'm sure BW is aware of it). Enjoy fighting other players and be done with it, and if you think it's unfair well fight fire with fire or skill I don't care. I was just pointing out how crying over players who did not put in the time you did to become competitive in PVP being unfair sounds elitist.

I thought they said previously that as the PVE gear was introduced that was higher than Partisan, they would start lowering the bolster; lowering the expertise on those items to specifically counter the higher stats. Instead all the PVE gear is getting buffed up to it? I thought that of the PVP gear, only the MH weapon was bolstered up to 72. Is all our PVP gear getting bolstered now or did PVE gear just get a big boost over PVP gear with the new tier? I'm getting so confused by all this stupidity. The only thing that seems to be consistent though is I'm wasting my time trying to get PVP gear.

Yes, it's a very non-transparent, overly complicated, unpredictable system. As a result, I can only guess in the broad strokes, but I didn't take their patch notes to mean that lvl 54 gear would be bolstered to be higher than Conqueror PvP gear, which was my main observation. I have no idea about the particulars like what stats/set are they using for their target to bolster everyone to. They've never provided their "mathy" explanation of bolster they promised so all we can do is speculate, test, and compare notes.

I can't help getting the feeling that with this bolster, they've dug themselves a huge hole they can't climb out of, and there's some stupid Pointy Haired Manager handing them shovels to keep on digging.

Well, digging *is* work. lol. I'll tell a story:

I worked with a man that when he was younger, lived in New London and worked on submarine construction. It takes about 3 yrs to complete a sub, but he told me that in an emergency it could be done in half that time. Basically he said, that as far as they (the workers) were concerned, every day they had to delay for whatever reason, or had to re-do something, it was another day they had a job. Interesting, no?

..... regarding the overall fairness between PVP gear and PVE gear grind ..... the overall purpose of the two aspects of this game are very different, as far as player enjoyment.

So what you're saying is that PVE players are entitled to gear upgrades every few months to tackle the new and interesting encounters released for them, but PVPers have to go through some major grind, just to ultimately get an outdated set of gear? Oh right, PVPers should live for the joy of PVP and artificial stats. At some point the gear will be totally useless in PVE, all the while PVE gear is getting better in PVP. You might want to go look up the meaning of "fairness" as I think your grip on it is rather tenuous.

PVP progression has always been about titles and gear and some kind of bling like weapons or mounts. And anything that didn't have much of those was built around no holds barred open world PVP where you could stake out your own territory. But now, apparently not. The joy of religiously balanced PVP itself is all we need.... no carrots or badges or acknowledgments of any kind required.

We obviously don't need valor either, you'd better get rid of that lest some poor little PVEer gets offended. It also explains why there are no new warzones... would obviously be unfair to the PVEers if they had to learn yet another battleground, what with all that new armor they have to collect and dye from their new encounters.

So what you're saying is that PVE players are entitled to gear upgrades every few months to tackle the new and interesting encounters released for them, but PVPers have to go through some major grind, just to ultimately get an outdated set of gear? Oh right, PVPers should live for the joy of PVP and artificial stats. At some point the gear will be totally useless in PVE, all the while PVE gear is getting better in PVP. You might want to go look up the meaning of "fairness" as I think your grip on it is rather tenuous.

PVP progression has always been about titles and gear and some kind of bling like weapons or mounts. And anything that didn't have much of those was built around no holds barred open world PVP where you could stake out your own territory. But now, apparently not. The joy of religiously balanced PVP itself is all we need.... no carrots or badges or acknowledgments of any kind required.

We obviously don't need valor either, you'd better get rid of that lest some poor little PVEer gets offended. It also explains why there are no new warzones... would obviously be unfair to the PVEers if they had to learn yet another battleground, what with all that new armor they have to collect and dye from their new encounters.

I agree with basically everything you're saying, which in short is, EA/BW needs to greatly further the PVP aspects of this game. You're right entirely; the PVE innovation (including questing) vastly outweighs it's PVP counterpart. I'm not sure what else to say, the ground work is already done for them (wow arenas, GW2/SWG open world PVP). However this game almost sank into the abyss, so they're still in damage control mode I would guess with cartel coin BS. Give them time.

This game is working at intended. The current developers are fixing minor things that will not completely mess the game up in its current state. Now, with that said they are adding things as well that will not completely mess the game up in its current state.

Overall this game is not in repair mode, it is in operational mode and that is by seeing them push out cartel packs or cartel marketing items to generate (MORE) income from the standard of $15. I would say about 70% of the players currently subscribe with the 30% being the flux of F2P players coming and going.

I know bolster is broken and has been, but with a new cartel pack and items some players will pay a million or 2 for the new cartel items. When a players buys them with real money and sales them on them on the GTN it allows them to buy all the player made lv 54 gear. This then in return allows everyone to get the same items and compete at the lv 55 cap.

I believe in the future you will see a slight advantage down the road for the actual pvp gear if BW can tweak the bolster ability for the PVP gear then PvE 54 gear. If not then perhaps bolster taken completely out of the game and no telling what would happen then.

If none of this is true, then perhaps EA (The Big Boss) over BW will basically say, keep the cartel marketing top priority and milk the game for all of its worth. If and when it starts to become a liability for EA (not enough cash cow), they will probably decide to shut it down and start another MMO star wars or focus on the new consoles coming out at years end.

My money is on the consoles, because I believe EA is in the business of making short term games without having to cater to a money update or yearly expansion. They are a business and no matter how many times players vote them the worse company every...they damn sure do know how to make a profit and customers imo are on the bottom of their priority list, the only thing they want from consumers is what game genre is currently hot and what would they pay $60 for a basic game and $100+ for a Collector's Edition.

This game is working at intended. The current developers are fixing minor things that will not completely mess the game up in its current state. Now, with that said they are adding things as well that will not completely mess the game up in its current state.

Overall this game is not in repair mode, it is in operational mode and that is by seeing them push out cartel packs or cartel marketing items to generate (MORE) income from the standard of $15. I would say about 70% of the players currently subscribe with the 30% being the flux of F2P players coming and going.

I know bolster is broken and has been, but with a new cartel pack and items some players will pay a million or 2 for the new cartel items. When a players buys them with real money and sales them on them on the GTN it allows them to buy all the player made lv 54 gear. This then in return allows everyone to get the same items and compete at the lv 55 cap.

I believe in the future you will see a slight advantage down the road for the actual pvp gear if BW can tweak the bolster ability for the PVP gear then PvE 54 gear. If not then perhaps bolster taken completely out of the game and no telling what would happen then.

If none of this is true, then perhaps EA (The Big Boss) over BW will basically say, keep the cartel marketing top priority and milk the game for all of its worth. If and when it starts to become a liability for EA (not enough cash cow), they will probably decide to shut it down and start another MMO star wars or focus on the new consoles coming out at years end.

My money is on the consoles, because I believe EA is in the business of making short term games without having to cater to a money update or yearly expansion. They are a business and no matter how many times players vote them the worse company every...they damn sure do know how to make a profit and customers imo are on the bottom of their priority list, the only thing they want from consumers is what game genre is currently hot and what would they pay $60 for a basic game and $100+ for a Collector's Edition.

Very cynical but honestly, probably pretty accurate assumptions all the same.

Search my posts, realize who I am (if you don't know ask around the server you're on) and rethink what you wrote...

Your name is South, I have 0 clue who you are, and my above posts stands. You're simply in the minority when it comes to "Bolster is fine"....because you see, many of us are not droolers.

Now take the helmet off, before you hurt yourself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pistols

Your name is South, I have 0 clue who you are, and my above posts stands. You're simply in the minority when it comes to "Bolster is fine"....because you see, many of us are not droolers.

Now take the helmet off, before you hurt yourself. :rolleyes:

Aww, man. And he's been so reasoned and articulate in his posts since the emboldened, inflammatory red text. Gotta give a guy some credit when it's earned. :/

Not sure why you guys are still discussing this topic.

Yes, Bolster would be fine if it would be working as intended. But sadly that's currently not the case.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645792

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I have passed this on the PvP/Combat folks. They are aware of the issue and are actively working on a solution. I will pass on more information as I have it!

-eric

Lvl 53/54 gear is buggy which has been acknowledged by the devs and using buggy gear to your advantage is exploiting. It doesn't get better if you claim this is accessible to everyone. A lot of players don't even follow the forums and therefore have no clue about how to abuse bolster for min/maxing. These are mostly the same players who were meant to be protected by Bolster....

The problem is that level 54 crafted purple gear is getting bolstered like it was green. If you go and inspect someone wearing them you will see green gear when they are wearing purples. So that is what they need to fix, if those pieces were bolstered like purples then this wouldn't be an issue. I personally hate that I have to get 54 pieces to be competitive in pvp cause odds that they will fix it any time soon seem really low. Also just read the 2.2 patch notes where it says nothing of fixing this issue and due to new tier gear they will be increasing bolster so I'm sure the 54 gear will be more important then ever.

Crit rating, accuracy rating, absorb rating, defense rating, and surge rating now respect diminishing returns for low level Bolstered characters.

The base damage and armor value granted by Bolster have been slightly increased to account to the most recent item power available to players

So the way I read this is, bolster will be nerfed slightly in low level PVP, and buffed slightly at high end for all PVE gear, and all weapons. If they bring this in before they fix the level 54 stuff, they're just being irresponsible as it will boost their advantage even more. Any of us who don't have the level 54 pieces need to get with the program as they're obviously not concerned about it. Have to wait for the patch to land... which is pretty much now.... to see if it's just a case of them neglecting to document their fix. Guess we'll find out soon enough if they know what they're doing or not.

Edited by Rantank

What are the servers doing about 54 gear in rateds. Are all the top guilds running the 54 gear now or are you guys not using it because you consider it an exploit? As of right now it's tough to say for me because everyone can get the gear, but just using 54 gear over my pvp gear kinda bothers me. But I am not going to gimp myself if all the top rateds teams are using it.

My guild "Crits and Giggles" does not participate in the bolster exploits, nor did they with the augment hack

The people who have NO pvp gear should be in a separate bracket. I shouldn't grind for months to get gear only to be equal to someone who doesn't PvP to earn it.

I wasn't even aware of this until now. Maybe this is why some people hit me as hard as they do. I am shy 4 mods and 1 enhancement of being fully min maxed Conq.

The joy in PVP is the act of player vs player (for the most part), I would argue sure the gear grind is appealing but not the sole reason for PVP. There are more prevalent ways to ascertain who's better regarding PVP such as: high RWZ ratings and valor ranks, bragging rights, unique mounts, crystals etc. Most players in the PVP community know who's good and who isn't regardless of which 65 mods they use. PVE is player vs. environment, scripted fights with concrete strats etc. The joy (for most) is more centered around a sense of accomplishment, world 1st boss kills, server 1st kills, exclusive titles, and obviously gear. Not to mention the increasing level of difficulty as you progress.

statement 1

I would argue sure the gear grind is appealing but not the sole reason for PVP.

statement 2

The joy (for most) is more centered around a sense of accomplishment, world 1st boss kills, server 1st kills, exclusive titles, and obviously gear.

Sooo pvpers dont get a sense of accomplishment from, braging right, may not be server first but killing someone 1v1 for thier cap, or winning a RWZ...many other senarios give a sense of accomplishment, and only 1 guild gets the server first, the rest must give up if they are not the first i guess.

We get titles from Valor but I guess they dont mean anything to pvpers...but titles are great for pve!

And now we get to gear, obviously pve'ers get a great sense of accomplishment for gaining gear, its required to contintue to progress thru harder content. A pvper in your mind doesnt need the sense of accomplishment by gaining new gear, we should only want to play...that is all. What kind bull crap is that. this is not a FPS! And we deserve to have our best tier to be better than a crafted item. Whats the pvp gear there for if not for pvp? We as a pvp community want to have things "WORTH WHILE" of spending our time and effort on. If there were no rewards for pve(or the gear was just optional)...would people still grind the OPS weekly???

I dont think so.

Edited by Megachronic

We get titles from Valor but I guess they dont mean anything to pvpers...but titles are great for pve!

I hope your PVP skills are better then your reading comprehension.

But yeah, I get it, MMO's are a time sink and some of the PVP community wish to be rewarded because of that. At the end of the day everyone who PVP's long enough in this game will have the same gear regardless. My only gripe was about the constant whining about the temporary unfairness of the level 54 gear.

Do crafted level 54 epics that act as green quality bolstered items contradict the essence of MMO PVP? Sure it does.

In theory the longer you play IE: how many hours you play during a given period of time/patch update, the better your gear/reputation etc will be and players want to be "rewarded" for said time sink.

All of that is fine and good, however I've been around ALOT of high level PVP players and honestly, gear doesn't mean a whole hell of alot to them. For example Warcraft would release a tournament server where they give everyone access to the same gear etc and the top PVPers would still be at the top.

Essentially, if the main reason you're PVPing is because you want to walk around the fleet in full top tier PVP gear with your character tab open admiring what you've accomplished with your time, then maybe you're better suited for PVE.

Edited by Dannyes
fix

Hack, exploit, bug...w/e you call it...its definatly taking advantage of the system....not as intended

I'm getting a little tired of the loud, self-righteous, IGNORANT rants of people that have no clue what the H-E- double hockey sticks, they're talking about. A Hack, an exploit, and a bug are all very different things. On top of it, unless BioWare classifies something as one of those things, then you don't know if that thing is intended or not.

They're playing around and tweaking their system, and I'm sure, testing reactions from the community. If you don't like an aspect of their crazy, mixed up, "made for idiots" bolster system, let them know you want it changed, by all means. But quit projecting an aspect of something you don't like -- or don't think should exist -- on other players. The players you should be blaming are the morons that brought this upon us.

I'm getting a little tired of the loud, self-righteous, IGNORANT rants of people that have no clue what the H-E- double hockey sticks, they're talking about. A Hack, an exploit, and a bug are all very different things. On top of it, unless BioWare classifies something as one of those things, then you don't know if that thing is intended or not.

They're playing around and tweaking their system, and I'm sure, testing reactions from the community. If you don't like an aspect of their crazy, mixed up, "made for idiots" bolster system, let them know you want it changed, by all means. But quit projecting an aspect of something you don't like -- or don't think should exist -- on other players. The players you should be blaming are the morons that brought this upon us.

amen.

This is completely off topic but I just finished watching season 1 of "Magic City" and it was amazing!!

Edited by Dannyes

A Hack, an exploit, and a bug are all very different things. On top of it, unless BioWare classifies something as one of those things, then you don't know if that thing is intended or not.

so untill BW says so...like saying, i didnt know it was not ok to rob a bank just because i didnt know the law....not as extreme but noone has to tell me right from wrong...or an obvious error on BWs side(using it aka exploiting the unintentional adantage is exploiting the flaw in the game. but since you need BW to tell you sooo and you cant read Dev tracker for yourself......here you go

EricMusco Hey Look At Me- I'm A Sensational PvP Bug, Fix Me | 06.04.2013, 04:55 PM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I have passed this on the PvP/Combat folks. They are aware of the issue and are actively working on a solution. I will pass on more information as I have it!

-eric

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php?page=5

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6393615#edit6393615

KK!

Edited by Megachronic