SWTOR Classes Canon

TyboJames

Some classes end up best known by the title they held during the era, even if others have held the same title at other times:

Sith Warrior:

Emperor's Wrath (Cold War)

Bounty Hunter:

Grand Champion of the Great Hunt (Cold War)

Consular:

Barsen'thor (Cold War)

Others have more unique titles:

Jedi Knight:

Hero of Tython

Inquisitor:

Darth Nox

Smuggler:

The Voidhound

Agent:

Cipher Nine

and then

The Trooper

is the only one that doesn't have any particular unique title, other than "Havoc Squad Commander". It's always the grunts who get forgotten by history I guess :(

There's no canon gender for any of the characters to my knowledge, and no canon choices made for any of the options that didn't have Light/Dark alignment effects, but until anything is put out to contradict it the assumption in canon is that all Republic Characters took only Light Side choices in their adventures, and all Empire Characters took only Dark Side choices, (hence the Inquisitor's canon name being what it is instead of either of the other two options you could get in-game).

Edited by DarthDymond

I'm pretty sure the classes were based on characters in the movies. Smuggler is Han Solo, Bounty Hunter is Boba Fett, Jedi Knight is Mace Windu, Consular is Kenobi, Warrior is Vader, Inquisitor is Palpetine. (I think they actually stated this in some of the early dev updates.)

I'm pretty sure the classes were based on characters in the movies. Smuggler is Han Solo, Bounty Hunter is Boba Fett, Jedi Knight is Mace Windu, Consular is Kenobi, Warrior is Vader, Inquisitor is Palpetine. (I think they actually stated this in some of the early dev updates.)

If Inquisitor is to feel like Palpatine, they failed...HARD.

And I recall other posters saying, canon is what the player chooses, so Darth Nox would not be correct, and that it was just players thinking Rep = LS and Emp = DS.

There was a Dev post near launch where they said that the first choice(#1) on the dialogue wheel represented what the "archetypal" representative of your class would say at that point. This is why on shared missions, the same dialogue choices are in different positions for different classes. It holds up pretty well, if you actually just play through hitting only the #1 choice every time, but it's certainly not perfect; dialogue puzzles(like the Consular in that one Noetikon) seem to disregard it completely(either that or the archetype is intended to fail). But generally it follows the guidelines pretty well. You'll find that Jedi will generally end up with Light choices when it's just Light/Dark and Sith with Dark, and everyone else will have a fairly even mix, but everyone will have at least some of each.

Related, flashpoints are "canonically" completed with one of each class, as there's theoretically only one of each running around doing all this stuff, although that falls apart completely for Operations. Maybe you're just supposed to pretend that the duplicate classes are generic representatives of their types or something, not the specific heroes from the class stories.

Regardless, any story where you are allowed to make decisions as to the direction, especially in a multiplayer setting with multiple stories going on around you, cannot really be said to have a canon, Revan and Meetra Surik notwithstanding. (Revan was a woman who had just tentatively started a relationship with a Cathar girl when she disappeared. She was a scoundrel before she regained her connection to the Force and became a consular. Grr. Still upset that they established a canon.) So just play the way you like, and worry about them destroying your sense of ownership of your character later.

There is no canon. Sith Inquisitor can be either Nox, Imperius, or Occulus.

And some of the dark choices give you personal profit, while for example Imperial agent care only about Empire. Sometimes these choises just doesnt make any sence for sertain characters.

No, the fact that Smugglers and Bounty Hunters were faction aligned was character inspired. Jedi Knight and Consular are inspired by Revan and Meetra Light side and Warrior and Inquisitor are Revan and Meetra Dark side. Trooper and Agent are based on traditional war movies and spy films.

No, the fact that Smugglers and Bounty Hunters were faction aligned was character inspired. Jedi Knight and Consular are inspired by Revan and Meetra Light side and Warrior and Inquisitor are Revan and Meetra Dark side. Trooper and Agent are based on traditional war movies and spy films.

No. Bioware said they were inspired by Darth Vader and Palpatin, while they were making SW and SI. JK and JC are obviously inspired by Anakin and Yoda.

All "canon" is just what Wookieepedia is using as a guideline for their TOR-related articles. They even say so themselves in the Behind the Scenes that they are just assuming Sith=Dark and Jedi=Light to make things easier when implementing information with various paths and to remain consistent.

There has to be at least some level of canon. When you take Scourge into account for instance. He kills Meetra and eventually turns against the emporer in favor of the Hero of Tython. And the "Sith Warrior" becomes the new Wrath. I mean that is minute as far as actual canon goes, but it does seem to have a small degree of significance.

I'm pretty sure that one only applies if you stab the Republic in the back at the final alignment choice in Act 3, because my light-side Smuggler has never been called that anywhere.

Agreed. Finished the storyline twice and in one situation, I sided with the Republic, while in the other, I had the other Crime Lords pay me tribute and go their separate paths. After that, never was I called in Makeb or during operation briefings the Voidhound, which I found disappointing, since it's a pretty cool title truth be told.

There has to be at least some level of canon. When you take Scourge into account for instance. He kills Meetra and eventually turns against the emporer in favor of the Hero of Tython. And the "Sith Warrior" becomes the new Wrath. I mean that is minute as far as actual canon goes, but it does seem to have a small degree of significance.

For the most part, Mr. Hood was referring to the usual non-issues people like to make fusses over: gender, species, alignment etc. So, there is no definite

"Cipher Nine is a male Chiss who romanced Kaliyo and joined Darth Jadus before ultimately defecting to the Republic and running off with Temple" or "The Wrath is a Pureblood woman who fell in love with Quinn and changed from the Dark to the Light side on Tatooine, but ultimately fell again after the Transponder Station"

, but certain elements, as you said, must be canon, but more because they are not choices that are made by the player, but are rather made by the Universe around the character.

I haven't played through the entire Jedi Knight line, who's Meetra?

Supposedly it is the 'canon' name of the Exile.

Kind of silly since Revan was female and the Exile was male, though. :p

Edited by Ryllynyth

Supposedly it is the 'canon' name of the Exile.

Kind of silly since Revan was female and the Exile was male, though. :p

It's been established for quite some time that the Exile was female. Well before the Revan book that finally named her.

they never stated that :mad:

Agreed. I remember running a SWRPG that took place immediately following KOTOR II well before SWTOR ever came out. My party were the Exile's students who would reform the Jedi order after she left in search of Revan, and I found a lot of info on the wiki page about her and revan that I used to enrich the story. At this time there were no books, and she wasn't named yet, but both Revan and the Exile were canonically deemed as male and female respectively.

For the most part, Mr. Hood was referring to the usual non-issues people like to make fusses over: gender, species, alignment etc. So, there is no definite

"Cipher Nine is a male Chiss who romanced Kaliyo and joined Darth Jadus before ultimately defecting to the Republic and running off with Temple" or "The Wrath is a Pureblood woman who fell in love with Quinn and changed from the Dark to the Light side on Tatooine, but ultimately fell again after the Transponder Station"

, but certain elements, as you said, must be canon, but more because they are not choices that are made by the player, but are rather made by the Universe around the character.

As somebody else said it's the official name of the Jedi Exile. And It's also the force ghost you run into that leads you to find Revan in the flashpoints.

As somebody else said it's the official name of the Jedi Exile. And It's also the force ghost you run into that leads you to find Revan in the flashpoints.

Pretty sure that's actually

Bastila Shan

Pretty sure that's actually

Bastila Shan

Bastila was never known as the Exile, not to mention she has her own cameo in one of the storylines so it could NEVER be Bastila.

Bastila had no idea where Revan went. Only Meetra and Scourge knew outside of the emporer himself.

Canderous had a vague idea.

Edited by Darth_Wicked