Hk-51

AllanRFoster

You have to unlock him on every character unfortunately.

via the Legacy interface, FYI. You do not need to do the quest on every character though. Unless you don't want to spend the cartel coins. The thing is, since you need an alt of the opposite faction to send you one of the components, eventually you'd be stuck with at least one of your characters unable to progress in the quest because they'd be missing either the Coruscant or the Dromund Kass part and you would ultimately need to unlock the legacy perk with cartel coins on that character.

EDIT: also, remember that he comes equipped with level 50 gear. If you unlock him via the legacy for a character, and if you try to summon him and you are not already level 50, then you won't be able to use him in combat. You can, however, use him for crew skills (summoned or not) and give him companion gifts for the conversation quests (summoned or not), regardless of your current level. I suppose you could equip him with level appropriate droid gear and save his level 50 stuff for later, but I can't see going through all that trouble,

Edited by phalczen
addendum

via the Legacy interface, FYI. You do not need to do the quest on every character though. Unless you don't want to spend the cartel coins. The thing is, since you need an alt of the opposite faction to send you one of the components, eventually you'd be stuck with at least one of your characters unable to progress in the quest because they'd be missing either the Coruscant or the Dromund Kass part and you would ultimately need to unlock the legacy perk with cartel coins on that character.

EDIT: also, remember that he comes equipped with level 50 gear. If you unlock him via the legacy for a character, and if you try to summon him and you are not already level 50, then you won't be able to use him in combat. You can, however, use him for crew skills (summoned or not) and give him companion gifts for the conversation quests (summoned or not), regardless of your current level. I suppose you could equip him with level appropriate droid gear and save his level 50 stuff for later, but I can't see going through all that trouble,

You don't need to do the entire quest on the opposite faction. My sorcerer was mid 20's when I went to DK for looking for the HK part.

Also you CAN use him in combat. I unlocked HK at level 1 and played my mercenary all the way to 55 using HK exclusively. He gets no stats from the gear he is wearing, so bank it, and gear him up as you go.

By FAR the best DPS companion I've seen yet. WELL WORTH THE TROUBLE!

Unless you don't want to spend the cartel coins.

Cartel coins is just one method for unlocking HK-51 within the Legacy. You can also do it with credits (although, it is a whole whackload).

The thing is, since you need an alt of the opposite faction to send you one of the components, eventually you'd be stuck with at least one of your characters unable to progress in the quest because they'd be missing either the Coruscant or the Dromund Kass part and you would ultimately need to unlock the legacy perk with cartel coins on that character.

This...made no sense.

The OP already said he'd acquired HK-51 on one of their alts, so they obviously have characters on both factions of high enough level to acquire the Coruscant and Dromond Kass pieces.

And if you're unlocking HK-51 via the Legacy Perks, you're not re-doing the quest.

Cartel coins is just one method for unlocking HK-51 within the Legacy. You can also do it with credits (although, it is a whole whackload).

This...made no sense.

The OP already said he'd acquired HK-51 on one of their alts, so they obviously have characters on both factions of high enough level to acquire the Coruscant and Dromond Kass pieces.

And if you're unlocking HK-51 via the Legacy Perks, you're not re-doing the quest.

Let me be clearer. You can choose do the HK-51 series of quests on an alt. I know this because I started the quest on a republic alt of mine just to experiment, even though I had already unlocked hk-51 via the legacy perk. However, if you didn't want to spend the credits nor the cartel coins, you would need to make another opposite faction alt to get the opposite capital world piece. Were you to choose to do the quests for all your available character slots, eventually you would have a character unable to progress. I would hope that the OP would opt to just pay the piper, but you never know what people may choose to do. Do you understand now?

Let me be clearer. You can choose do the HK-51 series of quests on an alt. I know this because I started the quest on a republic alt of mine just to experiment, even though I had already unlocked hk-51 via the legacy perk. However, if you didn't want to spend the credits nor the cartel coins, you would need to make another opposite faction alt to get the opposite capital world piece. Were you to choose to do the quests for all your available character slots, eventually you would have a character unable to progress. I would hope that the OP would opt to just pay the piper, but you never know what people may choose to do. Do you understand now?

You're saying once you have HK on a toon you can't do the quest? I call HOG-WASH!

If that were true, I wouldn't have been sent to begin the quest on my Bounty Hunter.

You can repeat the DK/Cor portion as many times as you like on any toon you like.

He's saying that the alt you use to get the piece you need from the opposite faction will be missing that piece should you want to do the quest on that character. I have no idea if it's accurate, as I have not done this myself. Edited by MagikFingerz

Question for the OP, how long did it take you to do the searching for the HK-51 parts? I'm finding it close to impossible to find them. I play on a European RP server and I'm finding that when I go to the locations I'm the only one searching there. So far I've spent close to 7 hours variously on Coruscant, Taris and Korriban and only found one piece. Even then I only found it by chance because there was one other chap there looking and he uncovered it.

It's driving me nuts.

Question for the OP, how long did it take you to do the searching for the HK-51 parts? I'm finding it close to impossible to find them. I play on a European RP server and I'm finding that when I go to the locations I'm the only one searching there. So far I've spent close to 7 hours variously on Coruscant, Taris and Korriban and only found one piece. Even then I only found it by chance because there was one other chap there looking and he uncovered it.

It's driving me nuts.

Have you been on sites that have guides on this? They are in certain areas, some of which can be rather large, but they also post the coordinates they have been found in previously to give you a good starting point. Coruscant is just inside the Jedi Temple, so that area isn't large at all. I've so far found the parts on Hoth, Coruscant and Korriban without significant trouble.

Have you been on sites that have guides on this? They are in certain areas, some of which can be rather large, but they also post the coordinates they have been found in previously to give you a good starting point. Coruscant is just inside the Jedi Temple, so that area isn't large at all. I've so far found the parts on Hoth, Coruscant and Korriban without significant trouble.

Yeah, I have read the guides. The only I looked at said that I had to look inside the while of the floor of the Jedi Temple rotunda. How long did it take you?

You are using your Burba scanner I assume? Not just looking? Each scan covers a circle with a 25m radius - quite a large area, so as long as you are systematic about it you can cover each search area quite quickly. I didn't do the HK quest when it first came out because of all the people complaining about the search times, however I did it this weekend from scratch - it took about 4 hours from start to finish, the longest I spent looking for a part was about 30 minutes on Hoth. It really isn't difficult.

Question for the OP, how long did it take you to do the searching for the HK-51 parts? I'm finding it close to impossible to find them...

It's driving me nuts.

Did the whole questline other than the flashpoints in a couple of hours in one evening. Teamed up with a guy I bumped into on Taris who was doing the same and we did them all together. Didn't get any of the frustrating endless searching you hear so much about. The two of us being methodical found them in no time. Then hopped over to the Republic side and my Jedi found the one in the temple in about five minutes.

The flashpoints are what have stalled me. Endless hours sitting in Group Finder to no avail. Still have one to do.

Edited by PLynkes

I've so far found the parts on Hoth, Coruscant and Korriban without significant trouble.

That was pretty damn fine searching, considering there isn't one on Korriban. :)

Edited by PLynkes

Were you to choose to do the quests for all your available character slots, eventually you would have a character unable to progress. ... Do you understand now?

I think so, but let me re-phrase to make sure: you're suggesting that once a character has acquired HK-51, they can't be used to find parts for the opposite faction alts?

If so, that's incorrect.

I recently re-did the HK-51 quest for the fourth time on an Imperial alt. I used a Republic character that had already unlocked/acquired HK-51 to find the Coruscant part. I had no problem doing so.

Both flashpoint pieces are available from Hard Mode - despite anything you may have read to the contrary. However HM False Emperor only drops one piece (don't know if this is the same in story mode). This made the tank In my group a little angry as he was also only doing the FP for the part and I got there first. Is SM FE soloable with a well geared Mara? My guess is probably as long as you're using a decently geared Quinn

However HM False Emperor only drops one piece (don't know if this is the same in story mode). This made the tank In my group a little angry as he was also only doing the FP for the part and I got there first.

I...don't think that's always the case. I recently ran HM False Emperor with two people who needed the piece, and both of them got it.

However, I also ran False Emperor with one of my characters who needed the piece and /didn't/ get it, so I'm wondering if there's some sort of bug where not everyone who needs it gets it, sometimes. Hmm.

Hmmm, yeah I thought it was a bit strange - I remember all the pugs being formed in general fleet chat when the quest first launched, can't believe there would have been that much cooperation (other than within guilds) if only one out of four got the drop. I thought maybe SM dropped more pieces but maybe it's a bug

That was pretty damn fine searching, considering there isn't one on Korriban. :)

Woops, I meant Dromund Kaas :rak_tongue:

Spent maybe 15 min on Hoth, but there was another one also looking who got a read on it while I was there. Coruscant and DK took probably less than 10 min each.

Edited by MagikFingerz

I suppose you could equip him with level appropriate droid gear and save his level 50 stuff for later, but I can't see going through all that trouble,

If you're a cybertech type, it's worth it 100%. I'm leveling a sage with HK51 as my companion, and he can solo 3 or 4 groups of mobs all at the same time without needing any heals. He's WAAAAAAAY overtuned at lower levels and that makes for really quick leveling.

I was playing normal mode False Emperor the other day via group finder, and nobody mentioned anything about the run being just for the droid piece. But the minute we had done the part where the droid piece drops, the other three were all "Woot!" and "just one to go" and "where next?" and all of them dropped out of the flashpoint without so much as a thank you or apology. So I guess they all got a part and it is at least supposed to drop multiple pieces. If it sometimes doesn't then that's a bug, I'd say. I honestly can't see why it would drop one for every player in Normal Mode but only drop one at all in Hard Mode either, but you never know.

Oddly enough, when I clicked on it I got two HK weapons protocols instead of one. I wonder if that means somebody else missed out? Nobody said anything.

In other news: I bloody hate PUGs.

Edited by PLynkes

Did the whole questline other than the flashpoints in a couple of hours in one evening. Teamed up with a guy I bumped into on Taris who was doing the same and we did them all together. Didn't get any of the frustrating endless searching you hear so much about. The two of us being methodical found them in no time. Then hopped over to the Republic side and my Jedi found the one in the temple in about five minutes.

The flashpoints are what have stalled me. Endless hours sitting in Group Finder to no avail. Still have one to do.

Five minutes?????????

I try to be as methodical as possible. But it 's still taking me forever.