The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

In all reality, the only one affected is who changes their AC. What if I change my AC and never do end game stuff, I just quest solo, how again does that affect you?

To answer about flashpoints, the risk remains the same when entering, theres always going to be that guy who takes stuff just because, they cant turn down features just because of this reason.

I see the only way it having a major impact is if they dont put restrictions on it.

You would not be solo questing and we both know it, if your previous claims are to be believed. You have already claimed that you do endgame content up to HM SnV. You want to change your main vanguard to commando, my guess would be due to nerfs in vanguard or because your guild needs a healer or ranged DPS. This tells me you would be doing end game content, running HM FP's, probably using the LFG tool. All of these would affect other players, and not just you.

Second, even if what you say is true, and you would only do solo questing, not everyone would. There would be people hopping into LFG as a totally different class. Yes, I know that happens to an extent now with changing specs, but if they allow class changes it increase the frequency of things like this happening. That affects EVERYONE, not just the person who changed their class.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they added in a feature like this, I dont think they would want it to not be appealing, theyd want people to do it so they could make money, but also make it so it doesnt make some people mad.

There is no way they could allow max level class changes without making some people mad, or risking mass loss of subs and the revenue from those subs.

If any classes were poorly designed, thats not our fault for wanting out of them, thats BW/EAs fault for not fixing them.

Ok. I don't think I was presenting my point as blame points to the player, not the devs. I was simply stating what I feel is a reputable contention that allowing the change MAY...note I say may....may effect the popularity of certain classes and cause certain ones to be underutilized.

Rerolling...I dont see many people walking around with the same class for different AC, they usually just do the mirror of it on the other side, so it ultimately comes down to, would bioware/ea rather receive money from AC switching, or risk people making alts of the same class in hopes of them putting money into it?

Well, I really don't have any date to back up my assumptions in that respect, but I would expect it might be more common than you think. All I can say is that I hear people talk about it quite often in general chat...rolling a new alt to try a new AC because they are not happy with the current AC inside that class. But that is hardly conclusive naturally.

.......or risking mass loss of subs and the revenue from those subs.

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure that would end up being the case. Though they may suffer some losses from this change (as they have to some extent from most of the recent changes) I think in all honestly it would likely appeal to a wider casual base.

It would be hard for me to see how casual players in general would find this an unfavorable change, and I think most reasonable people concede that casual players make up the vast majority of the playerbase.

That does not mean the impact of the change would not effect those casual players eventually and perhaps cause them to become even more transient than they normally are...it is certainly a possibility.

You would not be solo questing and we both know it, if your previous claims are to be believed. You have already claimed that you do endgame content up to HM SnV. You want to change your main vanguard to commando, my guess would be due to nerfs in vanguard or because your guild needs a healer or ranged DPS. This tells me you would be doing end game content, running HM FP's, probably using the LFG tool. All of these would affect other players, and not just you.

Second, even if what you say is true, and you would only do solo questing, not everyone would. There would be people hopping into LFG as a totally different class. Yes, I know that happens to an extent now with changing specs, but if they allow class changes it increase the frequency of things like this happening. That affects EVERYONE, not just the person who changed their class.

As stated, when you go into LFG with randoms, you know your risks, people go into group finder now without knowledge of how to play their class, that wont change. If you dont like random group finder, find people off general chat to queue with.

Ok. I don't think I was presenting my point as blame points to the player, not the devs. I was simply stating what I feel is a reputable contention that allowing the change MAY...note I say may....may effect the popularity of certain classes and cause certain ones to be underutilized.

Well, I really don't have any date to back up my assumptions in that respect, but I would expect it might be more common than you think. All I can say is that I hear people talk about it quite often in general chat...rolling a new alt to try a new AC because they are not happy with the current AC inside that class. But that is hardly conclusive naturally.

I see what you mean :) but I knew what you meant from the first post, I just firmly believe that if a class is being underused that its not the players fault, its the devs fault for not making the class more presentable.

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure that would end up being the case. Though they may suffer some losses from this change (as they have to some extent from most of the recent changes) I think in all honestly it would likely appeal to a wider casual base.

It would be hard for me to see how casual players in general would find this an unfavorable change, and I think most reasonable people concede that casual players make up the vast majority of the playerbase.

That does not mean the impact of the change would not effect those casual players eventually and perhaps cause them to become even more transient than they normally are...it is certainly a possibility.

This game has taken a beating from the get-go and is still a very popular game, I think thats because the majority of the population on this game are "fanboys" and will likely stick around for better or worse, meaning that even if people dont like the feature, it wont drive them to quit. There has even been a few people who said that theyd take advantage of this feature even if they are against it.

While I haven't read all of the posts in this thread I will say what I don't think anyone has mentioned quite yet.

The mere fact that AC change is in insult to those players who took the time to level 2 AC's of the base sub-class. If someone was not happy with their choice their only option would be to go back to re-grind and learn a new play-style mechanic, re-gear….datacrons etc. (add what you like)

In essence, I think this is biggest perdicament with class switching in this MMO, or any MMO for that matter. People put in the time to level Class X….there is no reason that they should be given Class Y simply because they want it. If you want class Y, go and level it like everyone else did, its that simple. And please stop with the "I don't have time issue" , if thats the case then you probably shouldn't be playing MMO's in the first place, console games are great for casual gaming.

The only thing I could get on board with is a AC change at or around level 20' ish. If you don't realize that you don't like the class by that time, them I'm not sure what else to tell you. Most of these people on this thread need to stop with this entitlement Bull***** and work for the things they want.

Besides, It is so ridiculously easy to level and gear up in this game, I'm not sure why this thread even exists to begin with haha.

Cheers

While I haven't read all of the posts in this thread I will say what I don't think anyone has mentioned quite yet.

The mere fact that AC change is in insult to those players who took the time to level 2 AC's of the base sub-class. If someone was not happy with their choice their only option would be to go back to re-grind and learn a new play-style mechanic, re-gear….datacrons etc. (add what you like)

In essence, I think this is biggest perdicament with class switching in this MMO, or any MMO for that matter. People put in the time to level Class X….there is no reason that they should be given Class Y simply because they want it. If you want class Y, go and level it like everyone else did, its that simple. And please stop with the "I don't have time issue" , if thats the case then you probably shouldn't be playing MMO's in the first place, console games are great for casual gaming.

The only thing I could get on board with is a AC change at or around level 20' ish. If you don't realize that you don't like the class by that time, them I'm not sure what else to tell you. Most of these people on this thread need to stop with this entitlement Bull***** and work for the things they want.

Besides, It is so ridiculously easy to level and gear up in this game, I'm not sure why this thread even exists to begin with haha.

Cheers

The people who have taken the time to level the other AC shouldnt take offense because now if they add this, they dont have to pay money to switch and now they have both AC's versus losing one for the other.

he mere fact that AC change is in insult to those players who took the time to level 2 AC's of the base sub-class. If someone was not happy with their choice their only option would be to go back to re-grind and learn a new play-style mechanic, re-gear….datacrons etc. (add what you like)

An "insult." Right. Like so many others, the best you got is that it would wound someone's ill-conceived sense of pride? In the "work" it took to advanced a character in a computer game? Get real.

you have been told in no less then 6 different posts in 2 different threads that it does not only effect you. This is just another example of you just ignoring what you do not want to hear.

It could be posted in six-hundred posts. Still just a matter of opinion.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I can't think of one good reason why BW should implement AC switching (sorry - "because I want it" doesn't cut it); they already make money selling extra character slots, and selling CM gear/collection unlocks for additional characters, not to mention all the other little things one has to buy separately for each character.

There is no incentive for BW to allow people to circumvent the whole leveling and CM purchasing processes. They want you to roll a new character and spend more money unlocking everything yet again.

People want AC switching because they can retain the wealth they have amassed up to that point in the game. Sorry the game wasn't designed that way nor should it be imo.

People want AC switching because they can retain the wealth they have amassed up to that point in the game. Sorry the game wasn't designed that way nor should it be imo.

You don't have to delete an existing character to make a new one (unless you're at your limit).

This is completely CORRECT. There is one thing I agree with people who are opposed of this and thats FOTM and P2W, but they can handle the situation to where it doesnt turn into that.

As far as the money part, I could see them making more money, I think a lot of people would spend more to change AC then put CM stuff on an alt of the same class.

And neither of you have played Rift..

No, you only switch Roles within the same class. You can easily switch from a Tank to a DPSer and the like. Some Roles/Souls will allow for you to play similiar to another class, for example the Chloromancer in the Mage class makes a good healer.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/44936-you-can-change-classes.html

You can not change your class.. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should do more research before you go hog wild agreeing with someone.. Rift does not change classes either.. You can change specs/souls with in a class the same way you do here.. :)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/characters/class-system/

Here is the information.. Their system is very different than ours and not really comparable or relevant to this discussion... Google is your friend.. :D

Edited by MajikMyst

I can't think of one good reason why BW should implement AC switching (sorry - "because I want it" doesn't cut it); they already make money selling extra character slots, and selling CM gear/collection unlocks for additional characters, not to mention all the other little things one has to buy separately for each character.

But see your statement is a contradiction.. Allowing AC swapping means we won't need as many character slots.. Hence less money for Bioware..

That is how it should be.. There simply is no need for class swapping.. There just isn't..

But see your statement is a contradiction.. Allowing AC swapping means we won't need as many character slots.. Hence less money for Bioware..

That is how it should be.. There simply is no need for class swapping.. There just isn't..

I think you misunderstood him. Unless I am mistaken, he is against allowing class changes.

An "insult." Right. Like so many others, the best you got is that it would wound someone's ill-conceived sense of pride? In the "work" it took to advanced a character in a computer game? Get real.

It could be posted in six-hundred posts. Still just a matter of opinion.

And I'm certain that you are one of these guys that I was referring to in my post. You want the other AC??

Go level it.

Let's pretend for a second that you have something in game that you had to work for. Now lets imagine someone is asking for that same thing to be handed to them instead of putting in the work that you did in order to get this thing. You're telling me this doesn't bother you at all? How about YOU get real here my brother? Computer game or not, we still had to put time and effort into these digital things. So don't pull that smart *** crap on me about the whole "computer game" false sense of pride nonsense, because by logic there is no reason for you to be posting here much less playing the game if you're telling me you have no pride in what you yourself have worked for. Game or not, the fact is that swtor is a hobby that we invest ourselves into because it is something that is important to us.

Get over yourself.

Bran mak muffin:

I'm certain that you are one of these guys that I was referring to in my post. You want the other AC??

Go level it.

Let's pretend for a second that you have something in game that you had to work for. Now lets imagine someone is asking for that same thing to be handed to them instead of putting in the work that you did in order to get this thing. You're telling me this doesn't bother you at all? How about YOU get real here my brother? Computer game or not, we still had to put time and effort into these digital things. So don't pull that smart *** crap on me about the whole "computer game" false sense of pride nonsense, because by logic there is no reason for you to be posting here much less playing the game if you're telling me you have no pride in what you yourself have worked for. Game or not, the fact is that swtor is a hobby that we invest ourselves into because it is something that is important to us.

Get over yourself.

You get over yourself, hes entitled to his opinion, if he wants to express his opinion let him. You guys keep claiming that you are proving us wrong, your only doing that in your heads. Theres absolutely no reason to be rude to us, we do our best to keep this a discussion and not an argument but yet you guys keep taking what we say personal for whatever reason, you made your point, if you have something further to add by all means say it, but keep your attitude out of it.

Edited by PeterTLJr

You get over yourself, hes entitled to his opinion, if he wants to express him let him. You guys keep claiming that you are proving us wrong, your only doing that in your heads. Theres absolutely no reason to be rude to us, we do our best to keep this a discussion and not an argument but yet you guys keep taking what we say personal for whatever reason, you made your point, if you have something further to add by all means say it, but keep your attitude out of it.

you have never proven anything other then you simply want it due to the FACT you are too lazy to level a new toon.

You will never do anything but ignore everything that is presented that does not support your entitled attitude of you deserve everything for nothing.

It has been proven over and over and over again that going from a vanguard to a commando is NO DIFFERENT then going from a vanguard to a marauder. They are completely different classes according to the people who made the game. There is no higher authority then that, you simply lack the ability to understand that you do not get everything for nothing. For once just EARN something.

I don't see that pointing out some folks might be miffed that they rolled a bunch of alternate ACs, only to find out that they game will allow AC swap is that much of a stretch. I think it will happen.

Much like many folks were angered every time armor they worked hard for was supplanted by new armor, every time changes were made to speeders, the sprint changes, changes to cooldowns on quick travel, legacy perks...etc.

Many of these changes belittled efforts players had made in the past, and that made quite a few folks mad.

Lucky for us that didn't seem to be a concern for Bioware's new staff. I think this one should fall into that mold. It will probably make some folks upset...and that should not be the reason not to add it...in fact it is one of the reasons to add it...players like that should be mad IMO, it means the game is doing something right.

The reasons to not add this feature to the game are self evident and reputable....but this is not one of them.

you have never proven anything other then you simply want it due to the FACT you are too lazy to level a new toon.

You will never do anything but ignore everything that is presented that does not support your entitled attitude of you deserve everything for nothing.

It has been proven over and over and over again that going from a vanguard to a commando is NO DIFFERENT then going from a vanguard to a marauder. They are completely different classes according to the people who made the game. There is no higher authority then that, you simply lack the ability to understand that you do not get everything for nothing. For once just EARN something.

^ This…..So happy someone else has common sense.

I don't see that pointing out some folks might be miffed that they rolled a bunch of alternate ACs, only to find out that they game will allow AC swap is that much of a stretch. I think it will happen.

Much like many folks were angered every time armor they worked hard for was supplanted by new armor, every time changes were made to speeders, the sprint changes, changes to cooldowns on quick travel, legacy perks...etc.

Many of these changes belittled efforts players had made in the past, and that made quite a few folks mad.

Lucky for us that didn't seem to be a concern for Bioware's new staff. I think this one should fall into that mold. It will probably make some folks upset...and that should not be the reason not to add it...in fact it is one of the reasons to add it...players like that should be mad IMO, it means the game is doing something right.

The reasons to not add this feature to the game are self evident and reputable....but this is not one of them.

I love it. If we arent mad at them, they arent doing their job right :D.