ETA on Advanced Class change?

I'm all for options, but I think the key to your post is not using dev resources for something that trivial when resources are needed so many places. I can get behind that.

If we actually saw those valuable "dev resources" being put to good use, I'd probably agree...but there doesn't seem to be anything they care about these days.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got well over 25 level 54+ characters including at least one of every AC; I still want AC swapping. What's your source on them saying "no"? The last word I heard from a dev was it would probably happen. The main reason that it hasn't happened already (along with lots of other things) may just be a lack of coding resources/priorities...

People have been asking for this since perhaps the first week of game launch, if they havent done it yet, it isnt happening.

/popcorn

Also, no.

What happens to your (for argument sake) tank gear on your Powertech when you switch to a Mercenary? Do you expect Bioware to give you a whole new set of gear as well?

What about going Juggernaut to Marauder or vice versa. They don't even have the same armor weight.

There's too many things that can go wrong and if it ever did happen, it wouldn't be good enough and people would still complain about it.

/popcorn

Also, no.

What happens to your (for argument sake) tank gear on your Powertech when you switch to a Mercenary? Do you expect Bioware to give you a whole new set of gear as well?

What about going Juggernaut to Marauder or vice versa. They don't even have the same armor weight.

There's too many things that can go wrong and if it ever did happen, it wouldn't be good enough and people would still complain about it.

I think it hilarious that people actually think that this kind of feature would suddenly increase the amount of people who don't know how to play their class. Newsflash: this game is criminally easy up to level cap. You can faceroll your way right up to level 60 and still have not a clue what you are doing. And even then, I still see people begging for help with their story missions in general, because they are just THAT BAD. Meanwhile, if someone (who likely does PvP and Ops) actually DOES know how to play their class, they are just as capable of learning a new one.

Switching ACs isn't going to give you any more clueless people than normal. The base game does that well enough on its own.

Edited by Dufar_Jabar

I think it hilarious that people actually think that this kind of feature would suddenly increase the amount of people who don't know how to play their class. Newsflash: this game is criminally easy up to level cap. You can faceroll your way right up to level 60 and still have not a clue what you are doing. And even then, I still see people begging for help with their story missions in general, because they are just THAT BAD. Meanwhile, if someone (who likely does PvP and Ops) actually DOES know how to play their class, they are just as capable of learning a new one.

Switching ACs isn't going to give you any more clueless people than normal. The base game does that well enough on its own.

Not sure why you quoted me lol.

/popcorn

Also, no.

Then they would grind out the gear like any other toon would. And as far as armor weight, who cares? Treat it like CM armor is now or make them replace it...non-issue.

And your last statement is just foolish. By using your flawed logic, nothing would ever get done out of fear someone might complain. Good God...these are PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPERS, not emotionally unstable children.

/popcorn

Also, no.

^^--THIS

Sadly, I wouldnt be surprised if people expected BW to give them a new set of equal armor when they switched

Then they would grind out the gear like any other toon would. And as far as armor weight, who cares? Treat it like CM armor is now or make them replace it...non-issue.

And your last statement is just foolish. By using your flawed logic, nothing would ever get done out of fear someone might complain. Good God...these are PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPERS, not emotionally unstable children.

Grind out gear? We're talking about people who refuse to "grind out" a new toon? They WILL expect gear handed to them. If you don't see that, or honestly believe someone will be like, "sweet, got my AC changed, now I just need to grind out a whole new set of gear, no biggie." Come on lol..

And sure, pull mods out and put them in adaptive armor. But that costs people credits.

Lastly.. I didn't say they shouldn't do it because people will complain. I said IF they do do it, it won't be good enough so long as people still have to get new gear, swap mods, etc.

Grind out gear? We're talking about people who refuse to "grind out" a new toon? They WILL expect gear handed to them. If you don't see that, or honestly believe someone will be like, "sweet, got my AC changed, now I just need to grind out a whole new set of gear, no biggie." Come on lol..

And sure, pull mods out and put them in adaptive armor. But that costs people credits.

Lastly.. I didn't say they shouldn't do it because people will complain. I said IF they do do it, it won't be good enough so long as people still have to get new gear, swap mods, etc.

Gear I can grind solo in a night - a new toon is an investment in my time that I simply wouldn't make for this game.

Do you think people expect BWEA to give them a set of DPS optimized gear when they switch from Tank Discipline to DPS Discipline now?

Your argument is DOA.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Um, what happens to your Tank gear on a Shield (Tank spec) Powertech when they switch to Pyrotech (DPS spec) or Advanced Prototype (DPS spec)? No one expects a free set of gear for making such a spec change, why should they expect it for an AC change?

Adaptive gear has been in the game for like years. There's also easy to acquire legacy bound adaptive gear from the reputation vendors. Not to mention a GTN full of cheap orange shell CM junk if you really can't figure where to get adaptive armour from. This is a non-issue.

With the introduction of the Discipline system in 3.0 and the removal of training costs a week after early access, I'm not sure there's that much that could go wrong. A button on the Discipline screen that allows you to select between ACs as well as specs, and going to a skill trainer to quickly pick up those AC specific abilities (bit of a non-issue as it's free now). Or, only make it available at the old Spec retrainers on fleet and the homeworld.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Um, what happens to your Tank gear on a Shield (Tank spec) Powertech when they switch to Pyrotech (DPS spec) or Advanced Prototype (DPS spec)? No one expects a free set of gear for making such a spec change, why should they expect it for an AC change?

Adaptive gear has been in the game for like years. There's also easy to acquire legacy bound adaptive gear from the reputation vendors. Not to mention a GTN full of cheap orange shell CM junk if you really can't figure where to get adaptive armour from. This is a non-issue.

With the introduction of the Discipline system in 3.0 and the removal of training costs a week after early access, I'm not sure there's that much that could go wrong. A button on the Discipline screen that allows you to select between ACs as well as specs, and going to a skill trainer to quickly pick up those AC specific abilities (bit of a non-issue as it's free now). Or, only make it available at the old Spec retrainers on fleet and the homeworld.

^ this, all this... very simple, the gear just has to be adjusted as it does now when swapping between tank/dps/heals.

Do you think people expect BWEA to give them a set of DPS optimized gear when they switch from Tank Discipline to DPS Discipline now?

Your argument is DOA.

What I was getting at was a Powertech uses a pistol and shield. A Merc uses two pistols. If you do the AC change, are you expected to run around without an offhand until you have enough credits or comms to buy one? Are you expected to buy a ****** one off the GTN?

What if this player is BiS 198 PvE or 174 PvP gear?

Are they SoL and forced to grind out a whole new set of gear? I'm willing to bet that if people pay actual money through the cartel market for this feature they're going to expect much more than switching from one AC to another. If you disagree, continue to do so. But I feel otherwise.

Firstly, no. No one expects a new set of gear when switching disciplines. We're talking about switching ACs. They're not even remotely the same thing.

Second, yes. Adaptive gear has been in the game "for like years" as you say. But of someone has all heavy gear on their Jugg, they have to spend a ton of credits buying a set shells, pulling the mods out, reaugmenting (if applicable), redying, etc. All possible added costs on top of paying for the AC change. I already hear and taste the tears from the people that have to do that.

If you watched any of the Dev streams when they were showing off the Discipline system, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Not abandoning your current discipline when changing your AC prevented them from selecting one afterward. Not removing your offhand that the new discipline couldn't use caused problems (which would also happen with the Jugg to Marauder armors.) I THINK there were a couple more but it's been a long time since I watched those.

Sure, they could probably iron out the bugs with enough time and resources. But those resources would be much better spent developing new playable content than catering to people who're too lazy to reroll a new toon to play the class they want.

Edited by dbears

Firstly, no. No one expects a new set of gear when switching disciplines. We're talking about switching ACs. They're not even remotely the same thing

They are very much the same thing. The only role switch AC change allows is tank to healer and vice versa. You want to characterize them as totally different simply because it bolsters your position.

In any event, I don't expect to see AC change added to the game any time soon, if ever.

What I was getting at was a Powertech uses a pistol and shield. A Merc uses two pistols. If you do the AC change, are you expected to run around without an offhand until you have enough credits or comms to buy one? Are you expected to buy a ****** one off the GTN?

I totally forget how hard it is to acquire an off-hand blaster pistol other than the one you get given to you when you choose the Merc AC. It's not like you can buy such things off the GTN for a few thousand creds, or even craft one yourself.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Joining PVP match pn my sorc.

Getting pressure too much.

Click on AC change - become assassin.

STEALTH ROCKS!!!

Same with PT/Mercs, Operatives/snipers.

Thats jus a LITTLE preview of what will happen if you will not stop this nonsence about AC change.

Don't you think that this OP a bit to change from ranged to melee and backward, huh?

STEALTH ROCKS!!!

Thats jus a LITTLE preview of what will happen if you will not stop this nonsence about AC change.

Don't you think that this OP a bit to change from ranged to melee and backward, huh?

If AC change were ever implemented, it would probably cost a significant number of CC and would not, I am confident, be switchable with the click of a button. You can't even switch disciplines that quickly. You can't even switch utilities that quickly.

So here's hoping you are making a joke.

What if this player is BiS 198 PvE or 174 PvP gear?

Are they SoL and forced to grind out a whole new set of gear? I'm willing to bet that if people pay actual money through the cartel market for this feature they're going to expect much more than switching from one AC to another. If you disagree, continue to do so. But I feel otherwise.

Yes. They're expected to buy their own **** just as if they'd have leveled up that character, that's exactly what we all would expect if you changed your AC.

Last night I ran ToS and Rav on my Merc for the 1st time, he was a 12xXP toon that's never equipped any relics, no implants, no ear piece...know what I did before we ran the Ops? I bought decent stuff off the GTN...not the best stuff, not 198s, not even 192s, nothing purple, just blue stuff. That's exactly what I expect someone else to do.

What do you expect them to do exactly?

Yes. They're expected to buy their own **** just as if they'd have leveled up that character, that's exactly what we all would expect if you changed your AC.

Last night I ran ToS and Rav on my Merc for the 1st time, he was a 12xXP toon that's never equipped any relics, no implants, no ear piece...know what I did before we ran the Ops? I bought decent stuff off the GTN...not the best stuff, not 198s, not even 192s, nothing purple, just blue stuff. That's exactly what I expect someone else to do.

What do you expect them to do exactly?

I agree TUXs, if people wish to switch classes so much, they should be required to gear up on their own when they do.

Firstly, no. No one expects a new set of gear when switching disciplines. We're talking about switching ACs. They're not even remotely the same thing.

They are exactly the same sort of thing when talking about a Tank <-> DPS spec change. If you've levelled as a Powertech Pyro (DPS) spec and decide to switch over to Shield (Tank) spec for endgame without taking the effort to change your armour, offhand, implants, earpiece and relics you are going to have all manner of problems and rapidly find yourself on ignore lists.

Second, yes. Adaptive gear has been in the game "for like years" as you say. But of someone has all heavy gear on their Jugg, they have to spend a ton of credits buying a set shells, pulling the mods out, reaugmenting (if applicable), redying, etc. All possible added costs on top of paying for the AC change. I already hear and taste the tears from the people that have to do that.

The cost of pulling a mod out (especially best in slot) is usually a fraction of the initial purchase price.

The cartel market keeps it self afloat on the sale of vanity items, orange gear with no mods in them. Any player that wants a new look and have BiS with full augments already has an additional price to pay.

If you watched any of the Dev streams when they were showing off the Discipline system, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Not abandoning your current discipline when changing your AC prevented them from selecting one afterward. Not removing your offhand that the new discipline couldn't use caused problems (which would also happen with the Jugg to Marauder armors.) I THINK there were a couple more but it's been a long time since I watched those.

I watched the Dev stream, and heard them mention it was being run on a Dev shard and could expect to see quirky things because its a development stage platform not a live server. The code for an AC swap is not fully functional, undergone iteration at any level, or even through a Q&A pass. It's rough raw commands for the Devs to force a change without any of the final polish a live feature should have.

Sure, they could probably iron out the bugs with enough time and resources. But those resources would be much better spent developing new playable content than catering to people who're too lazy to reroll a new toon to play the class they want.

This is the only remaining point I agree with. The time spent developing an AC swap feature could be better spent elsewhere. Where is a matter of personal preference.

However, for an 'average' playthrough you are still talking about 80-100 hours to reach endgame.

I'd far rather have a happy player with 8 characters (one of each class) they play regularly, flipping between ACs when they want a change on a specific character.

STEALTH ROCKS!!!

They used to have this when Field Respecialisation was introduced, obviously with regards to swapping spec from tank to dps or vice versa in WZs like Voidstar. It was disabled.

The only thing you need to do to make this a non-issue is to tie the functionality of an AC swap back to the original NPCs that could offer respecs. There is one on fleet and one on the home world of each faction.

They used to have this when Field Respecialisation was introduced, obviously with regards to swapping spec from tank to dps or vice versa in WZs like Voidstar. It was disabled.

The only thing you need to do to make this a non-issue is to tie the functionality of an AC swap back to the original NPCs that could offer respecs. There is one on fleet and one on the home world of each faction.

The argument the guy offered is typical of the anti-AC swap crowd. They spin totally nonsensical hypothetical scenarios like that guy's "Players will be switching ACs (and gear, presumably) mid-WZ with the click of a button."