[Agent | Smuggler] Confused about Nok Drayen and the Conspiracy

SW_display_name

I just finished Agent chapter 3, and have a 50 Smuggler, so you can spoil anything about the Agent / Smuggler freely if necessary.

I'm confused about the holo-recording you hack from the Tytun Rings in chapter 3. When Intelligence cracks it open, you see a meeting of conspirators, including Nok Drayen.

In the Smuggler storyline, Nok Drayen has been frozen in carbonite since Risha was "a little girl", and she was dragging him around for years before finally burying him somewhere safe. Then, you thaw Nok for the first time on Nar Shadda at the end of Smuggler chapter 1, and he dies within hours (or days, at best) after that.

This implies Nok has been out-of-commission for around 10-15 years, at least. How old was that holorecording of the conspirators supposed to be? I was under the impression it was only like 3-4 years old, but I can't remember this detail clearly, it went by too fast in the dialogues.

What's the plot reconciliation between Nok being in that recording and Nok being on ice for over a decade in the Smuggler plot?

About the only possibility I see, is that meeting was held during the time between the Smuggler thawing Nok Drayen, and when the Smuggler got back with the loot from Nok Drayen's fortune. Still, it's awfully convenient that he was freed just at the right moment to catch up on that meeting. How would he know what codes and frequency to use if he's been out of the game for over a decade? It seems unlikely that they'd use the same communication protocols all this time, I thought they'd be much more secretive than that.

Yem Leksende from Czerka even says that Nok Drayen is in a hurry, most likely due to the fact that early on in the conversation, while you assemble the different pieces back at the archives, Nok Drayen says that his appearance via-holo will most likely be hislast.

Also, Nok Drayen says to the smuggler that he was wronged by a close advisor, bodyguard or whatever, concerning the disease he got but we can also assume that whoever got to him, was ALSO most likely trying to get to the Star Cabal, which is why they weren't surprised by his sudden appearance or the fact it would be their final conversation with him.

Either way, unlike what some people may think, I guess it was just a fun cameo and / or just showing that Nok was far more than your average Crime Lord, just like Kolovish wasn't just some fallen matriarch, in a backwater planet such as Tython. Remember Kolovish or her advisor saying that she was the one who led the Twi'lek to Tython? It wasn't exactly a coincidence, given the facts the conversation reveals.

According to a question & answer with Hall Hood, the holorecording probably took place in the past, before he was frozen.

Impossible.

I replayed the IA storyline recently and I remember Keeper saying that the conversation took place 6(!!!) months prior you obtaining it from the archives, not to mention that events like the death of the Old Man back in Tatooine and the rise of Darth Baras are both mentioned.

Nok Drayen was frozen 10(!!!) years prior the moment you thawed him out.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Impossible.

I replayed the IA storyline recently and I remember Keeper saying that the conversation took place 6(!!!) months prior you obtaining it from the archives, not to mention that events like the death of the Old Man back in Tatooine and the rise of Darth Baras are both mentioned.

Nok Drayen was frozen 10(!!!) years prior the moment you thawed him out.

Holorecords can be doctored. After all, the recording itself contained a mind trap. I found it difficult to believe as well, but there you have it from the mouth of the lead writer.

Holorecords can be doctored. After all, the recording itself contained a mind trap. I found it difficult to believe as well, but there you have it from the mouth of the lead writer.

The main issue is that the Imperial Agent Storyline was written by Alexander Freed, who is no longer in Bioware. Hall Hood wrote the one for the Smuggler and as far as I know, he had no involvement whatsoever in the Agent's storyline since, again, he had his hands full with the one for the Smuggler, Jedi Knight and some major dialogue for the Flashpoints concerning Revan, Republic side.

I don't see why this couldn't have happened while the Smuggler was on Nok's ship. It fits in perfectly; it just means that chapter 2 was around six months long, which sounds fairly rational.

That's my opinion as well.

Not to mention that information in-game CLEARLY contradicts whatever Hall Hood might say. One may dispute the "when" of the recording but certainly not the content; I played that bit less than two weeks ago and I clearly remember Hunter, Kolovish or whoever refering to...

- Darth Angral and the Children of the Emperor, combined with the fact there was a Republic equivalent or something, which is yet again CLEARLY a reference to the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular respectively.

- The Old Man back in Tatooine which was killed by the Imperial Agent.

- Darth Baras which was about to go for his power grab.

There's possibly more but that's most of the stuff I can think from the top of my head.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I don't see why this couldn't have happened while the Smuggler was on Nok's ship. It fits in perfectly; it just means that chapter 2 was around six months long, which sounds fairly rational.

Yep. Levels 1-50 take place over more than a year (likely more in the realm of three to four years) of in-universe time, and they don't all line up perfectly. I always figured that Drayen found a way to contact the Cabal after being unfrozen and before he finally died.

Edited by JacenHallis

Yep. Levels 1-50 take place over more than a year (likely more in the realm of three to four years) of in-universe time, and they don't all line up perfectly. I always figured that Drayen found a way to contact the Cabal after being unfrozen and before he finally died.

At least a few months considering that's how long the hero of tython went missing.

End of Chapter 3 for the JK makes it sound like a few years at the very least.

Another thing is that at the end of each trooper chapter, he goes on shore leave. The smuggler spends his newfound wealth in some form while Risha makes him invest a portion. As for the consular, I have no idea.