Best companion?

Orikx

I've read the sticky and around the boards and it sounds like people prefer the later companions(namely Xalek) instead of Khem.

That got me thinking. Since I am a healer is it best to rush through the Class quest line to get Xalek then come back and do the side quests to level. It seems like I'd have an easier time doing quests with him by my sides. Are the class quests easy enough that I'd be able to get through to him by the mid 20's? I'm currently lvl 20.

You get Xalek on Voss. A level 44-47 planet. Quests-- even the main story quests-- are the same level as the planet they're found on, as a general rule. So no, you shouldn't (and can't) rush ahead and ignore the side quests and grab Xalek while you're still in your 20's.

Kesh is just fine as a companion. People are just of the opinion that Xalek is the best (can't speak to it; didn't beta and my Sorc is only level 30).

I've read several posts of people completing the Class quests(specifically Inquisitors) in the later 20's to earlier 30's. I assume you just have to be careful about where you walk to avoid mobs as you travel to the Class quest zones. Some of the posts were assassins so I'm sure stealth helps with that but not all seemed to be sins. Since Sorcs have an easier time soloing tough mobs I figured it would be even easier for us to complete.

Class quests often seem to be green to the zone they are in. When I am doing yellow side quests and Heroics my class is green to me and so far none have been difficult. I even did some easily without a companion because I had them out on crew skill missions.

I only made it to 10 in beta so just going off of what I had read so far.

You won't be able to get Xalek in your 20s. The class quests to get him are to high. Maybe if you have a high level player carrying you through it and doing it all for you it's possible. And by high level I mean level appropriate or higher for the quests.

I'd suggest not rushing to get him. It's really not that big of a deal. Plus if you keep your companion geared appropriate to its level. Khem if properly geared for his level can last quite a long time even if you are dps plus it helps quite a bit when you got a pocket tank and beast him up so you never get hit and you can just blow stuff up. I usually tend to leave Khem in DPS Stance because I play as heals and I let him do most of the killing, if its too slow and the mobs dont hit too hard I'll bring out Andronikus to burst stuff down. When he's properly geared he can easily kill just bout anything in a hurry.

Khem is a fine companion. He likes to do his aoe taunt and break my CCs so sometimes I whirlwind a mob and then call Khem back and los the non CC'ed mobs until they come and then I send Khem to attack it.

It's just easier to turn his ae off for those kinda of pulls.