Expertise - Give us newblets a guideline.

Emberfeather

I'm a moderately new player, and my first character is nearing 55, which means it's time to start looking at balancing gear and all that.

Which brought my attention to Expertise, the PVP stat. I figured I'd look up some info on it, but all I can find is outdated with the Rise of the Hutt.

So I was hoping some one would be willing to answer the following questions:

- How much damage, reduction and healing does Expertise grant (per point or maybe 10)?

- Is there a cap to Expertise?

I'm sure more newblets would appreciate a guideline of what to do with this stat. Help us out!

The cap is 2018, which you get to with conqueror or partisan or PvE gear equal or weaker than those. PvE gear that's superior to Conqueror gets a significant penalty to Expertise from Bolster.

At cap expertise gives 60% damage bonus, 37.5% damage reduction and IIRC 35% healing bonus while in Warzones. Note that the damage bonus and damage reduction cancel each other out.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Master-Nala

I don't know what the effects are per point of expertise, but I'm fairly certain the cap is around 2016 or thereabouts.

But you really don't need to worry about that too much. Save your ranked and regular warzone comms. If you can, max out your ranked comms and when you hit 55, purchase as much of the conquereor relics and implants as you can. For your head/chest/belt/etc., just use 58 makeb modded gear while you grind the rest partisan equipment. Bolster will even things out reasonably well. With this setup, you will probably have right around 2016 expertise. The only area that you will be lacking is main stats.

However, if you are like me and there is no way that you will be able to max out your ranked comms in time, you can cash in what you have when you hit 55 and get as much partisan gear as possible. The major downside to this is that you will lose quite a bit in both the up-conversion (regular to ranked) and down-conversion (ranked to regular) process.

It helps a lot! Thank you for the swift reply. ^^

It does raise a new question though:

How does PVE gear have a PVP stat?

Does it drop somewhere? Or do you mean modifications with expertise on them, put into regular gear?

It doesn't. When you enter a Warzone, you are Bolstered to level 55 and you are given Expertise and other stats based on your level and gear. The closer you are to 55 and being well geared, the less you get from Bolster. The idea is to make sure that everyone is at least as strong as a person wearing gear just below Partisan.

Does it drop somewhere? Or do you mean modifications with expertise on them, put into regular gear?

And important point here. Never, ever put expertise mods (crystals, mods, armorings, etc.) in an item unless you're going to replace every mod with a PvP mod. If an item has even one PvP mod, Bolster will not give you any Expertise for that item.

[edit - deleted because post above this one says the same thing, but is more informative :D ]

Edited by Banderal

Thanks all for your comments...this is helpful to me too. I'll be reaching 55 in a few days and had a question about my old recruit, BM and WH gear. I'll be able to get a couple of Partisan pieces with the 2750 comms that I have, but for the rest of my gear can I use my recruit/BM gear also since they have expertise? or would it be best to just get the best pve gear that I can get for the rest of my gear until I can replace it with partisan? WH doesn't have expertise anymore so I'm assuming this would get bolstered nicely...?

Thanks all for your comments...this is helpful to me too. I'll be reaching 55 in a few days and had a question about my old recruit, BM and WH gear. I'll be able to get a couple of Partisan pieces with the 2750 comms that I have, but for the rest of my gear can I use my recruit/BM gear also since they have expertise? or would it be best to just get the best pve gear that I can get for the rest of my gear until I can replace it with partisan? WH doesn't have expertise anymore so I'm assuming this would get bolstered nicely...?

Not recruit. Get rid of it. Keep it for nostalgia, but with the current bolster mechanics, you are better off with PVE gear than recruit gear. Your WH gear should be OK I think, but I'm pretty sure that you would be better off with 58 makeb modded gear + whatever partisan gear you can get.

This is an EXTREMELY important point:

And important point here. Never, ever put expertise mods (crystals, mods, armorings, etc.) in an item unless you're going to replace every mod with a PvP mod. If an item has even one PvP mod, Bolster will not give you any Expertise for that item.

Edited by teclado