The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP tank viability question

Jedirecoil

I originally posted this in response to a thread on the PvP forum but figured i would post it here to see as its seems more relevant for here

(Original Thread)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=640862

My Question Is:

I love the play style of the PT/VG but with all the constant threads about PT/VG DPS trees being nerfed and unplayable its kinda hard to gage their situation in tanking, what few i do find seem pretty negative.

So i am interested in knowing how PT/VG are doing solely from a tanking point of view i am currently leveling a Juggernaut up (currently 37) but to me it feels really generic i love how unique PT & VG tanks are (level 25) but i don't wanna level it up if Guardians/Juggernaut really are that much better so any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR:

Solely from a tanking point of view (PVP and PVE) are VG & PT really that bad and should i stick to my juggernaut even though i prefer the VG/PT play style. thanks for any responses.

I can't speak for the Jugg as I've only leveled a Sent/Mara.

But am currently leveling both a PT (17) and a Van (26) and just love the play style. both are my first attempts at playing the tank role. I do PVE and PVP with both and have a blast. I think I have a lot of survivability compared to other classes I've PvPed. and, who cares what these people say about being nerfed etc. Go to any class forum and you dont see people complain about being OP, every class/tree complains about getting nerfed.

Do what you think is most fun, and at the end of the day, you wont worry about min/maxing, you'll have a good time and generally perform better cause you wont be stressing over stats.

I would not base your impression of a class on anything pre lvl 51 at least and better yet, 55. Having said that, I would not tank without a guaranteed healer. You are more likely to make a meaningful contribution to your team as a good dps when pugging.

If your going for pure effectiveness as a frontline PvP tank, the juggernaut outshines the Van in almost every way, van tanks in 2.0 amount to a gimped jugg.

Juggernuats get more shield % and def % from their tree than vanguards, only 1% less armor, have better internal/elemental mitigation, plus better utilities and more cool downs than vanguards.

However since you do better with Van fighting style (I prefer my van over my jugg too) I would recommend you stay with the van. As a van your tanking role will be much harder than as a jugg but you can still be highly competitive.

Advantages to leverage over juggernauts and others.

Best kinetic/energy mitigation due to high armor and flat mitigation, off all classes the vanguard tank takes the least damage from smashers (excluding cool downs), best snare capabilities (ES snare, riot gas, anything that procs IC), ranged capabilities (vanguards can stop a cap wayyy better than juggernuats can), insanely good AoE damage, better flat ground movement (getting across the field without jump targets is hard for jugs)

The exceptional cooldowns of juggernauts (1 min cd for deflect compared to 2m reactive shield and 3m adrenaline) will make them better healer guards, but as a van you can fulfill that role too, but as I said it will be more difficult.

I played tank in dps pvp gear before the patch, but haven't qued since returning. I got more burst, a self heal, and a buff to the shield.

Unless something I'm not thinking of plays a role....VG tank tree got a huge buff plus the re arranging of talents provided more utility. You can dump a little mitigation for flat dmg reduction or utility. take some of the low tree dps increases. That plus stacking endurance when and where you can afford it will make for an effective healer pressurer or solo node holder.