Are EA going to make The Force Unleashed 3?

ilifus

I'd imagine Boba Fett disabled Galen's ship before it got to Dantooine; I mean he was in close pursuit.

Plus the Dark Apprentice was probably on their ship too - he was cloaked the entire time.

The Dark Apprentice being aboard is what I've always banked on.

While in hyperspace? Or do you mean disabling the ship before it actually got onto the planet?

Before it got to the planet in general; but I'd imagine the Dark Apprentice could actually step in anytime Vader wished it.

Before it got to the planet in general; but I'd imagine the Dark Apprentice could actually step in anytime Vader wished it.

Well this depends if the Dark Apprentice is canon, since his only appearance was the non-canon ending. Though its assumed that he is, given in the databanks there are some scenes with his creation...it would help make it more clear to actually see him other then a non-canon scene, I would feel more comfortable with that.

But if TFU 3 does come, we might see him though...then we also might have the problem of how are the two of them suppose to die? I guess a self-sacrificing thing could work but...eh who knows.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well this depends if the Dark Apprentice is canon, since his only appearance was the non-canon ending. Though its assumed that he is, given in the databanks there are some scenes with his creation...it would help make it more clear to actually see him other then a non-canon scene, I would feel more comfortable with that.

But if TFU 3 does come, we might see him though...then we also might have the problem of how are the two of them suppose to die? I guess a self-sacrificing thing could work but...eh who knows.

Actually, the Dark Apprentice appears in the (canon) Distant Thunder cinematics. So yes, he is canon, as is his presence in the battle; he just chose not to step in and save Vader for unknown reasons (apprentice becomes the master?).

Actually, the Dark Apprentice appears in the (canon) Distant Thunder cinematics. So yes, he is canon, as is his presence in the battle; he just chose not to step in and save Vader for unknown reasons (apprentice becomes the master?).

Ya thats what I mean the Distant Thunder, however I still would prefer him to actually show up sometime in the game itself.

Well let's face it Vader was by no means defeated, and isn't going let himself get captured. So I think it would be same to assume he allowed himself to get captured so that the Rebels would take him to their base. If this is the case its highly like the Dark Apprentice was in on this plan and therefore did not intervene.

However their was a possibility that Marek might choose to kill Vader and it would be at that point that the Apprentice would intervene - as he does in the DS ending. But yeah, I think it might be cool to see more of the Dark Apprentice. I for one think his armour/robes are absolutely awesome. :D

This.

All these cinematic that take place during the game show the creation and training of the Dark Apprentice up to the where the game ends off.

And the corpse of the original Starkiller

I am very curious to know exactly why people think that TFU has a poor story when it one an award from the Writers Guild of America for Best Video Game Writing...

Not so much the story or writing itself, but the whole idea of Galen Marek and the Force Unleashed. They have someone so stupidly powerful in the Force that becomes Vader's Apprentice and then goes on to create the Rebel Alliance. The game is more or less about creating a pet character and wrote him into the period between Episode 3 and 4 to be as awesome and centrally important as possible. Oh and he is someone so important yet he never gets mentioned again :rolleyes:.

Some of the ideas of the TFU are all right: Vader having a secret apprentice, the possibility of him turning to the Light, etc. They just really overdid it on the story. I could barely stomach TFU and TFU II is worse.

The only things in the EU worth keeping around is KotOR, the Thrawn trilogy, and the stuff around the time of Bane isn't that bad, so I think it should stay.

Edited by Emperor-Norton

Not so much the story or writing itself, but the whole idea of Galen Marek and the Force Unleashed. They have someone so stupidly powerful in the Force that becomes Vader's Apprentice and then goes on to create the Rebel Alliance. The game is more or less about creating a pet character and wrote him into the period between Episode 3 and 4 to be as awesome and centrally important as possible. Oh and he is someone so important yet he never gets mentioned again :rolleyes:.

Some of the ideas of the TFU are all right: Vader having a secret apprentice, the possibility of him turning to the Light, etc. They just really overdid it on the story. I could barely stomach TFU and TFU II is worse.

The only things in the EU worth keeping around is KotOR, the Thrawn trilogy, and the stuff around the time of Bane isn't that bad, so I think it should stay.

Except Galen isn't stupidly powerful in The Force as you put it, canon wise. Canon wise Galen is rather an above average Force User.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Except Galen isn't stupidly powerful in The Force as you put it, canon wise. Canon wise Galen is rather an above average Force User.

This. He's not much more powerful when compared to the likes of Yoda or Mace Windu. I'd rank his power at somewhere between the likes of Ki-Adi-Mundi and Obi-Wan; about on par with, say, Quinlan Vos or Kit Fisto. His real advantage is the ferocity of his abilities–couple that with his advanced lightsaber skills and he could take on practically anyone not in the Jedi Council between Episodes 1-3. When you compare him with Luke's Jedi Order, though, he's about midway on the totem pole.

I see, so from a concept standpoint. And I do see your point, but I would disagree. I think it was an interesting backstory to the formation of the Rebel Alliance. I wouldn't say they shoehorned him in, but rather built upon the bridge between 3 and 4 which was (and remains) relatively unexplored.

And as for your last point, I'd strongly disagree. All I can say is that the EU in its entirety is the reason why Star Wars the one of, if not the, biggest and most established fictional franchises out there.

To address the OP for a second, one really big problem with TFU 3 is that TFU 2 did not perform very well in terms of sales, so I doubt EA will try and make a third one when the could make Battlefront 3, a Bioware Star Wars RPG, or continue 1313. And if EA wants to do anything, it is make what will sell.

Having looked that up, my view of the character of Galen has improved. However the problem is the games will be the more potent image of him and handling that will be difficult (especially if they make TFU 3 and acknowledge him in Rebels. I kind of like a nod to him helping to form the Alliance in Star Wars Rebels, I just think he got way to much pet character treatment in TFU. That and I will always hate how he holds his sabers backwards :p.

This. He's not much more powerful when compared to the likes of Yoda or Mace Windu. I'd rank his power at somewhere between the likes of Ki-Adi-Mundi and Obi-Wan; about on par with, say, Quinlan Vos or Kit Fisto. His real advantage is the ferocity of his abilities–couple that with his advanced lightsaber skills and he could take on practically anyone not in the Jedi Council between Episodes 1-3. When you compare him with Luke's Jedi Order, though, he's about midway on the totem pole.

So Starkiller (at around 19-20?) is as good as hardened Jedi Masters? I wouldn't mind him if he scaled around being a pretty freaking good Jedi Knight, but really?

I see, so from a concept standpoint. And I do see your point, but I would disagree. I think it was an interesting backstory to the formation of the Rebel Alliance. I wouldn't say they shoehorned him in, but rather built upon the bridge between 3 and 4 which was (and remains) relatively unexplored.

And as for your last point, I'd strongly disagree. All I can say is that the EU in its entirety is the reason why Star Wars the one of, if not the, biggest and most established fictional franchises out there.

I do agree on the interesting part, yet I also think it is just is of bad quality (in other words, I wish it was done better). The Jedi don't play much of a role in the Rebel Alliance and that is what I kind of like about the time period, the Jedi aren't as much of a focus and having other Jedi takes away from the importance of Luke. Having re-watched the OT a few weeks ago for the first time since I was a kid, I appreciate the story much more and am not a fan of taking away from Luke's important as the last of the Jedi.

I don't disagree with the point about scale, but the EU is getting a massive change up with the Disney acquisition and I would like to see a change for quality in the EU more so than quantity. Also, Star Wars is big and important because of the Movies, which the EU has exploited to make lots of money (not that parts of the EU haven't been very good or pretty good, because they have). The thing is the EU is getting a new version version of itself for the new Movies and I don't think TFU has much of a future of getting included in that.

I suppose I never cared that much for Star Wars beyond the Movies, KotOR, and reading Wookiepedia while bored :p, so that is why I don't have much attachment to the rest of the EU.

Edited by Emperor-Norton

So Starkiller (at around 19-20?) is as good as hardened Jedi Masters? I wouldn't mind him if he scaled around being a pretty freaking good Jedi Knight, but really?
Luke Skywalker defeated Darth Vader at the age of 23. Age is of no consequence is your possess immense potential in the Force. Not the mention the fact that Starkiller had received intensive training from a young age from one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of the era.
I suppose I never cared that much for Star Wars beyond the Movies, KotOR, and reading Wookiepedia while bored :p, so that is why I don't have much attachment to the rest of the EU.
All I can say is, your missing out. :jawa_wink:

EDIT: And yes the popularity of the EU does of course stem from the movies but I'm not just talking about popularity. (Although I should point out that the EU is where many fans go from casual, to dedicated) I'm talking about an established universe with lore spanning thousands and thousands of years, all that works as a spring-board for new content, new ideas, which in turn produces revenue which in term allows the franchise as a whole to expand.

Edited by Beniboybling

Luke Skywalker defeated Darth Vader at the age of 23. Age is of no consequence is your possess immense potential in the Force. Not the mention the fact that Starkiller had received intensive training from a young age from one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of the era.

This. Without a doubt, this.

Personally, I hope not. The game had an excellent concept but a terrible execution. They solid it to us as being able to play as Darth Vader's secret apprentice, playing on the Dark Side as you hunt down the Jedi, and then turned it into a stereotypical Hero story with the "bad" protagonist finding redemption (bar the "what if" scenario which was somewhat of a cool twist).

The game mechanics were over-the-top and still felt shabby, focusing more on flashiness rather than depth; as a game, it was just another hack-and-slash with pretty graphics and cutscenes. Story-wise, the game suffered from trying to build upon bland relationships. The only new character it added that I liked was the homicidal droid, which was another great concept but was part of a terrible execution.

There is a reason the second game sold poorly after the first one; the first marketed one thing but delivered another, giving only a decent game. It didn't have that same advantage the second time around and proved itself an awful game. Having a third shot at redemption is better left to the Star Wars games that sold well but were deprived of their chance due to poor economic timing.

This is all my opinion, of course.

Edited by Forgon

And yet all of the Jedi were also trained from a Young Age. Isn't the point of the Luke v Vader fight was Vader was holding back because a. he was fighting his son and b. he was trying to convert Luke, not kill him. Also, there is the fact that Luke is the most powerful Force user to ever live and only won by giving into his anger (then of course returning to the Light). That and we can't ignore that for all the power Luke had, he was nothing before Palpatine.

Oh and I have read numerous Star Wars books (a few post-RotJ EU, Revan & Annihilation, etc.) and I am not much of a fan.

Personally, I hope not. The game had an excellent concept but a terrible execution. They solid it to us as being able to play as Darth Vader's secret apprentice, playing on the Dark Side as you hunt down the Jedi, and then turned it into a stereotypical Hero story with the "bad" protagonist finding redemption (bar the "what if" scenario which was somewhat of a cool twist).

The game mechanics were over-the-top and still felt shabby, focusing more on flashiness rather than depth; as a game, it was just another hack-and-slash with pretty graphics and cutscenes. Story-wise, the game suffered from trying to build upon bland relationships. The only new character it added that I liked was the homicidal droid, which was another great concept but was part of a terrible execution.

There is a reason the second game sold poorly after the first one; the first marketed one thing but delivered another, giving only a decent game. It didn't have that same advantage the second time around and proved itself an awful game. Having a third shot at redemption is better left to the Star Wars games that sold well but were deprived of their chance due to poor economic timing.

This is all my opinion, of course.

This post mirrors my thoughts on the game, just worded much better than I could do. Nice post. :)

Edited by Emperor-Norton

What a lot of people DON'T get is that in TFU they WANTED it to be over the top. It was meant to be that way. The game isn't cannon, the BOOK is cannon. And if you read the books you come to find out his powers are a lot more toned down.

They just made his force powers that incredible just to make it fun and something you hadn't seen before in a Star Wars game.

And as far as the reverse hilt Shien form, I think it's AWESOME. I probably would have had a form similar and if the Sith Juggernaught could have a shien form like that, i'd be ALL over it.

FIRST, I don't *really* care about what I'm about to say but I'll still say so people would understand where the disdain for reverse grip fighting comes from.

The thing is that with a weapon like the lightsaber, reverse hilt fighting is absolutely idiotic. If you think about it, there is NO reason whatsoever to fight like that with a lightsaber because you CAN'T use your own arm as a buffer to block blows, you would lose your arm and it does not matter which way you hold the weapon because it will do pretty much the same amount of damage regardless of force behind it. You also lose greatly on the ability to block with them by holding them that way. You also lose immensely on range which is foolish if you have a melee weapon.

Sure, it looks cool, but it's STUPID. With an actual sword you can use it as a shield very effectively by having the blade pressed against your arm but a lightsaber will just make you lose that arm.

Do yourself a favour and study the basics of Kendo and you'll quickly understand why people take issues with the lightsaber fighting of the PT and by extension, things since then. It looks flashier and cool but hardly practical.

Edited by Jandi

What a lot of people DON'T get is that in TFU they WANTED it to be over the top. It was meant to be that way. The game isn't cannon, the BOOK is cannon. And if you read the books you come to find out his powers are a lot more toned down.

Hence the name, the Force UNLEASHED. You can't UNLEASH something if you're an average Force user. What should it have been called? Star Wars: The Force AS USED BY A RANDOM JEDI? :p

Hence the name, the Force UNLEASHED. You can't UNLEASH something if you're an average Force user. What should it have been called? Star Wars: The Force AS USED BY A RANDOM JEDI? :p

That actually sounds like a book, that would be written by an average Force User.

And yet all of the Jedi were also trained from a Young Age. Isn't the point of the Luke v Vader fight was Vader was holding back because a. he was fighting his son and b. he was trying to convert Luke, not kill him. Also, there is the fact that Luke is the most powerful Force user to ever live and only won by giving into his anger (then of course returning to the Light). That and we can't ignore that for all the power Luke had, he was nothing before Palpatine.

The thing that separates Anakin and Luke from the other Jedi, was that they had a RIDICULOUS learning curve. Quite literally, Anakin at age 21 mastered his style of fighting and had the skill of a Jedi Master. Luke like Anakin was the same way, though was more impressive as he was mostly self taught and relied on books/holocrons that Obi-Wan had and during his final duel with Vader on the DS 2 was able to duel with him evenly.

Also no Vader wasn't holding back...

“You are unwise to lower your defenses,” Vader warned. His anger was layered, now—he did not want to win if the boy was not battling to the fullest. But if winning meant he had to kill a boy who wouldn't fight...then he could do that, too. Only he wanted Luke to be aware of those consequences. He wanted Luke to know this was no longer just a game. This was Darkness.

-Taken from Return of the Jedi.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

FIRST, I don't *really* care about what I'm about to say but I'll still say so people would understand where the disdain for reverse grip fighting comes from.

The thing is that with a weapon like the lightsaber, reverse hilt fighting is absolutely idiotic. If you think about it, there is NO reason whatsoever to fight like that with a lightsaber because you CAN'T use your own arm as a buffer to block blows, you would lose your arm and it does not matter which way you hold the weapon because it will do pretty much the same amount of damage regardless of force behind it. You also lose greatly on the ability to block with them by holding them that way. You also lose immensely on range which is foolish if you have a melee weapon.

Sure, it looks cool, but it's STUPID. With an actual sword you can use it as a shield very effectively by having the blade pressed against your arm but a lightsaber will just make you lose that arm.

Do yourself a favour and study the basics of Kendo and you'll quickly understand why people take issues with the lightsaber fighting of the PT and by extension, things since then. It looks flashier and cool but hardly practical.

But if you ever notice that in the book and in the game when he blocks he blocks normal two handed style. The reverse bladed style is actually better for defending against blaster bolts since you can whip the blade around faster to deflect bolts. Which is what shien form is. An aggressive blaster deflection form.

• The existence of Rahm Kota, a Jedi, contradicts what Yoda said to Luke on his death bed: 'Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be.' This essentially means that Rahm Kota has to die somehow by the events of Return of the Jedi and given that he made no appearance in the previous films despite being a major part of the Rebel Alliance probably should be dead by the time of A New Hope.

• The existence of the Starkiller clone. Again similar reasons to Rahm Kota. He may not be a Jedi but he is a major force user, he sort of has to die or disappear too.

• Vader captured, pretty obvious here. Vader obviously somehow escapes from captivity given the fact he participated in several events afterwards. So this needs to be covered.

• Boba Fett. At the end of TFU II we see Boba Fett's ship detach from a hunk of space debris and set off in pursuit of the Rogue Shadow. What happens next? We need to know.

All of which could be answer through comics and novels.. as they were answered with Shadow of the Empire instead of a sequel.

If we see anything "return" we'll see a new Battlefront game because of the brand recognition.. anything else, I doubt.