Beware: Dye Modules, TOTAL RIPOFF

OpenSorce

A common feature with dyes in MMOs.

My point? The players are generally acustomed to dyes being consumables in MMOs. They certainly did not jump out from behind a rock on this aspect.

I get that. I wouldn't mind that at all actually. However, if I spend 2,000,000 - 5,000,000 in credits or thousands of Cartel Coins to get a particular color this just adds insult to injury.

If only the system were simpler. If only the system were more straight forward. Especially for such a trivial feature. It's strange because the solution for this one should've been so easy. I wonder why they over complicated it? Hmmmmmmmmmm :jawa_angel:

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should all abandon this thread now. It's no longer the complaint_de_jour.

In case anyone missed it... 2.2 teasers (and beyond) have been published in the forum and this is the new complaint_de_jour... might even be among the mother of all complaint_de_jours in recent history judging by the snowflake driven flurry of multiple redundant form threads. :p

So grab popcorn and keyboard and sally forth to teh new target of angst, spittle, and perjoratives IMO. :D

Edited by Andryah

Kids can't spend "pocket money" to gamble on cartel packs or dye packs. They have to go through a credit card or some other purchase. It's not like they can load quarters or dollars into their desktop and have them somehow transferred to BWEA.

Do parents care?

My daughter turns 22 next month. She had a credit card from the time she was about 16. More accurately, she had a credit card on the same account as me, same credit limit and everything, on which I could see every single charge. She abused it exactly zero times.

Kids can be smart and responsible, as can parents.

If parents choose not to be, that is not BWEA's problem (though they still mitigate their risk by limiting monthly CC purchases). Nor is it my problem. Nor is it yours.

First of all I got to apologize for bad English. I ment 'gaming teens' not 'gamer teens' in the post you were refering to.

I have no doubt that parents who are gaming themselves take good care of their gaming kids.

I was talking about those parents who don't know anything about gaming at all and simply made their kids a great christmas present. They are the majority. I know a lot of kids with accounts but non of their parents are gamers. Those parents gift their kids with coins because its a very, very easy way to make them happy.

A friend of mine is a gambling addict just because his parents had a bar. He played for free and was not even allowed to keep money from the machine. Nevertheless, he became an addict - online poker is the last I know about. One day I asked him what he is gaining from gambling, although he knows that it destroys his family. He said: "It reminds me at when I was a kid and everything was alright."

I am aware this is an extreme example. However, it makes me feel uncomfortable when I think of gambling getting popular in online games, combined with increasing youth-unemployment.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all I got to apologize for bad English. I ment 'gaming teens' not 'gamer teens' in the post you were refering to.

I have no doubt that parents who are gaming themselves take good care of their gaming kids.

I was talking about those parents who don't know anything about gaming at all and simply made their kids a great christmas present. They are the majority. I know a lot of kids with accounts but non of their parents are gamers. Those parents gift their kids with coins because its a very, very easy way to make them happy.

A friend of mine is a gambling addict just because his parents had a bar. He played for free and was not even allowed to keep money from the machine. Nevertheless, he became an addict - online poker is the last I know about. One day I asked him what he is gaining from gambling, although he knows that it destroys his family. He said: "It reminds me at when I was a kid and everything was alright."

I am aware this is an extreme example. However, it makes me feel uncomfortable when I think of gambling getting popular in online games, combined with increasing youth-unemployment.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Any parent who does not know what his or her kid is up to should be fired from their job as a parent. Period. Heck, if I could raise a kid who didn't turn out a delinquent or criminal, ANYONE can.

I get that. I wouldn't mind that at all actually. However, if I spend 2,000,000 - 5,000,000 in credits or thousands of Cartel Coins to get a particular color this just adds insult to injury.

You know before you buy it that it's one-use. So if there's any insult, you're doing it to yourself. So by all means keep doing it and getting frustrated by it if that's how you get your jollies.

You know before you buy it that it's one-use. So if there's any insult, you're doing it to yourself. So by all means keep doing it and getting frustrated by it if that's how you get your jollies.

No, the insult is the design... which this thread is about. The design is total garbage. They need to change it.

1.) List all of the colors, combinations of colors, etc. for direct sale on the GTN.

2.) Add a kiosk/color picker so you can create your own custom dye module.

See? See how easy that is? They can still make money and not enrage the entire community. Crazy right?

My first and only pack, I got black and white dye (:D) little did I know it was worth so much, and I put it in my eradicators set. What irks me is that I cannot switch out dye colors. I would like to change out my black and white with another color, and put the black and white in my other RP armor set. Unfortunately, BioWare felt that we shouldn't be able to remove dye modules (without giving ANY clear warning we would be unable to remove them). I love this game, but I'm sick of the nickel-and-diming.

My first and only pack, I got black and white dye (:D) little did I know it was worth so much, and I put it in my eradicators set. What irks me is that I cannot switch out dye colors. I would like to change out my black and white with another color, and put the black and white in my other RP armor set. Unfortunately, BioWare felt that we shouldn't be able to remove dye modules (without giving ANY clear warning we would be unable to remove them). I love this game, but I'm sick of the nickel-and-diming.

Would you care if those nickels and dimes were pink 5's and yellow 10's from the Monopoly board game?

Cuz they are. Or can be. Your choice.

Would you care if those nickels and dimes were pink 5's and yellow 10's from the Monopoly board game?

Cuz they are. Or can be. Your choice.

Free Monopoly money? Oh you mean the coins they give out for subs? I've been a subscriber since February 15th, and have a security key, and I've not once got any "complimentary" Cartel Coins. I guess not everyone will get free pink 5's and yellow 10's :(

I am sure you'll have some rebuttal though

No, the insult is the design... which this thread is about. The design is total garbage. They need to change it.

No doubt your fulminating will cause them get right on it.

1.) List all of the colors, combinations of colors, etc. for direct sale on the GTN.

2.) Add a kiosk/color picker so you can create your own custom dye module.

Of course that would be an easier way to do it from our perspective. They chose not to do it that way. If you don't like the dye system, you are free not to participate in it.

See? See how easy that is? They can still make money and not enrage the entire community. Crazy right?

Unless "the community" = "Anzel + a few others," wrong.

Free Monopoly money? Oh you mean the coins they give out for subs? I've been a subscriber since February 15th, and have a security key, and I've not once got any "complimentary" Cartel Coins. I guess not everyone will get free pink 5's and yellow 10's :(

I am sure you'll have some rebuttal though

No I mean credits, the things the game throws at you hand-over-fist just for playing it. The things that let you pick exactly the dye color you want, when you want it, without using the coins that come with your subscription or buying any new ones just for the chance to get a random result.

In other words, the best way to buy dye in the game.

Edited by DarthTHC

No doubt your fulminating will cause them get right on it.

Of course that would be an easier way to do it from our perspective. They chose not to do it that way. If you don't like the dye system, you are free not to participate in it.

Unless "the community" = "Anzel + a few others," wrong.

LOL, are you reading the forums? Are you looking at General Chat? "The Community" is enraged. They hate gambling packs. They hate the direction this game is going. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You want me to Link-Fu you into dust on this one? Subscribers HATE gambling packs. They hate the dye modules. They HATE the plan for this game right now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<DEEP BREATH>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Anzel

LOL, are you reading the forums? Are you looking at General Chat? "The Community" is enraged. They hate gambling packs. They hate the direction this game is going. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You want me to Link-Fu you into dust on this one? Subscribers HATE gambling packs. They hate the dye modules. They HATE the plan for this game right now.

<DEEP BREATH>

There are a few habitual trollpologists in the forums that like to think they're the majority, but I don't imagine they play the game or else 5 minutes in general chat will show people don't like packs and this current dye system.

No I mean credits, the things the game throws at you hand-over-fist just for playing it. The things that let you pick exactly the dye color you want, when you want it, without using the coins that come with your subscription or buying any new ones just for the chance to get a random result.

In other words, the best way to buy dye in the game.

Purchasing Black/Black or White/White dye for 10mil credit is so easy, garabage of a dye modules that no one would dare to go near are cheap on GTN, rest of dye modules that people WANT are outrageously overpriced. Therefore making it virtually impossible to purchase with "credits" that can be so easily acquired.

You may like spending over 10million credits on a single dye module, but most of us do not...

There are a few habitual trollpologists in the forums that like to think they're the majority, but I don't imagine they play the game or else 5 minutes in general chat will show people don't like packs and this current dye system.

What server are you on where they discuss SWTOR in General Chat? 5 minutes of General Chat on my server will reveal the following:

- WoW was the first MMO.

- Everybody wants to know how to quit a guild.

- Alt + F4 will give you god mode.

- WoW was the first MMO.

- Everybody hates Obama.

- Everybody loves Obama.

- WoW was the first MMO.

Purchasing Black/Black or White/White dye for 10mil credit is so easy, garabage of a dye modules that no one would dare to go near are cheap on GTN, rest of dye modules that people WANT are outrageously overpriced. Therefore making it virtually impossible to purchase with "credits" that can be so easily acquired.

You may like spending over 10million credits on a single dye module, but most of us do not...

Think about it... if black/black and white/white were cheap, EVERYONE would be wearing them. Whee! We're all clones... all are one, one are all.

As to 10M per pack, perhaps you're exaggerating, perhaps not. On my server at least, black/black is 3M today, which is about 1 day worth of income for me. White/white is 900k.

Since they're hardly daily purchases, it doesn't seem too onerous. *shrug*

What server are you on where they discuss SWTOR in General Chat? 5 minutes of General Chat on my server will reveal the following:

- WoW was the first MMO.

- WoW was the first MMO.

- Everybody hates Obama.

- Everybody loves Obama.

- WoW was the first MMO.

Begeren

- WoW was the first MMO.

- WoW was the first MMO.

- Everybody hates Obama.

- Everybody loves Obama.

- WoW was the first MMO.

You missed a few on mine:

-Satele is a bada**

-Bastilla was Satele's ancestor.

-Bastilla was a bada**

-Revan looks *just like the character I rolled in KOTOR* (yes, everyone's, even mine, and I played a chick in KOTOR)

Edited by DarthTHC

How much money does 200 CC translate to? about $2.00 or so? maybe slightly less? How many random dye's do you get, 2? That is total BS! Those dye's are consumable. they are not worth 200 CC's. Now, throw in the infinitesimal chance at a color combination that is at least minimally desirable and you get EFF no! You are a piece of you know what, whoever you are that presented this to us as it is live. Greedy Bioware Austin employee(s)! There is no legitimate argument that can make this ok. So not worth 200 credits as it is. Lottery or no, the packs have no substance to be worth the risk of the attempt. Especially for consumables. Its a big no! Edited by xorcist

And another really big reason that the design of this system sucks. There are limited colors and combos. Last night I tried to actually find a cool look for one of my characters. All of the combos are just average.

How much better would it be if they just added a color picker to the kiosk?????

...are people actually arguing that placing a dye in a gambling pack on the CM is a good part of the system?

I would find that a bit odd. Mind you, I like the cash flow to Bioware and do not deride them for doing these sorts of things. But generally speaking a gambling pack is considered a hurdle, not a proper mechanic.

If they offered the dyes directly on the CM than this would not be a concern I think. But to have them as a gambling item, it seems to me that is a viable argument to make that it is not a good way to provide them.

...imagine if name change, or appearance options for the kiosk were offered that way.

Personally I dislike the lack of certain combinations, but I'm not against them selling them, nor am I against them making certain ones rare (i'd love to have them, but part of what makes them cool IMO is the rarity). I just think that making them expensive as opposed to random would have been a better move.

Or...to do both. Direct CC purchase of color sets or offer the packs at the lower price but colors are random.

Edited by LordArtemis

I wonder what the law would say about this... Making people pay for random packs is tantamount gambling. Its not just the soon to be dye packs, its 95% of the whole Cartel Market system. Just set a price for each item and be done with it!!! forcing people to spend 10s-100s of $$$/£££ chasing a digital item worth £1-£5 is unfair trading practice.

This game is rated TEEN so there are lots of kids playing. Your getting kids hooked on gambling with their own or with their parents' money... makes no difference! Plus the law in most parts of the world sets legal gambling age to 18-21 how many kids do you think are buying these packs or asking their parents to, thereby breaking or coercing parents to unknowingly break the law by aiding & abetting a minor to gamble.

This is now a Disney umbrella product for crying out loud... "Think of the children, why wont nobody think of the children" I'd expect this from EA, but Bioware... shame on you.

Someone should take these clowns to court :D

I wonder what the law would say about this... Making people pay for random packs is tantamount gambling. Its not just the soon to be dye packs, its 95% of the whole Cartel Market system. Just set a price for each item and be done with it!!! forcing people to spend 10s-100s of $$$/£££ chasing a digital item worth £1-£5 is unfair trading practice.

This game is rated TEEN so there are lots of kids playing. Your getting kids hooked on gambling with their own or with their parents' money... makes no difference! Plus the law in most parts of the world sets legal gambling age to 18-21 how many kids do you think are buying these packs or asking their parents to, thereby breaking or coercing parents to unknowingly break the law by aiding & abetting a minor to gamble.

This is now a Disney umbrella product for crying out loud... "Think of the children, why wont nobody think of the children" I'd expect this from EA, but Bioware... shame on you.

Someone should take these clowns to court :D

someone give this person a big dose of common sense will ya?

And another really big reason that the design of this system sucks. There are limited colors and combos. Last night I tried to actually find a cool look for one of my characters. All of the combos are just average.

How much better would it be if they just added a color picker to the kiosk?????

Some of the color combos are pretty good. Some are good. Some are horrid. Try the pink/purple if you doubt that last. In a lot of cases, it depends on the armor you put it onto.