PTs are worthless DPS in operations

Individual

As posted above. You are mixing pure dps classes with can-tank classes. Look at assassin and jugg?!

Juggs have intercede, which is not very useful, but it CAN be used to save a tank if they're out of cooldowns, that's reaching I know.. Assassins have stealth, a cc, and can stealth out to Rez people. PT has nothing at all. No utility and not as much damage as they should have to compensate for the lack of...everything.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juggs have intercede, which is not very useful, but it CAN be used to save a tank if they're out of cooldowns, that's reaching I know..

In addition to that, Jugg can give armor debuff

P.S. Still playing my PT, cuz for year and a half I've get used to this playstyle and playing any other class is "just not that", but PT needs some buffs, atm it's just terrible.

P.S.S. Not as terrible as assasin pve-dps tho :D

Juggs have intercede, which is not very useful, but it CAN be used to save a tank if they're out of cooldowns, that's reaching I know.. Assassins have stealth, a cc, and can stealth out to Rez people. PT has nothing at all. No utility and not as much damage as they should have to compensate for the lack of...everything.

Prove me that im wrong, but i haven't seen any shadow/assasin and jugg ops dummy parse for 2.9k dps. And i had seen gimped vanguards ones already (no 30% bonus damage on crit on ion pulse - flame burst for you).

And there is no luck in it. Just a raw dps.

That is the difference. We are better in damage than our "can-tank" counterparts, but worse in "utility".

This is how Bioware solved the thing. Do i like it? Depends.

I am glad people are not playing pyros/assault specs only because it had simple rotation and insane damage.

I see couple of determined players with skills, that want to do something.

Should Bioware fix this class in terms of DPS? Maybe.

I would suggest fixing bugs first, but a 15-20% plasma Cell/CGC damage increase could be nice and would fix most dps problems.

And most importantly they should rework top Pyro/Assault and AP/Tactics talents - most notably AP/TD. There is no point going for that skill in both PVE and PVP making hybrid specs that much better. Fire Pulse/Immolate should be somehow reworked to match HIB and HIB inclinations should be moved away from AP/Tactics.

Should we have more "utility" strictly for OPS?

Maybe PTs should have armor debuff separated from HIB/RS and accessible by every spec. That would remove the problem of spending 2+3+2 points in HIB/RS alone. Some of them could be allocated to enforce other - maybe utility skills. Maybe they should fix unusable Endurance/Integrated Cardio talent to give 2%/4% and give us the possibility to allocate that point elsewhere?

Am i feeling underpowered as a can-tank class? No.

Other can-tank classes can't provide the the amount of DPS we can.

Edited by Nezyrworks

This is a PVP defensive hybrid spec you are refering

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZrsrrobRRzMZfhrbzR.3

Tthis is currently best performing PVE dps spec (switch Plasma slow to 2 points in endurance) and yes i use it for PVP:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZrsMrobRMZfhrbzo.3

As you can see - Firebug is not needed in both to be good. Even without Firebug/Assault Trooper, the build is getting nice results.

Utilizing both PFT and PPA gives you some neat moves (most of the time you will welcome new threat with RS, then PFT and then finish off with PPA'ed proc RS.

Try them

The defensive one wastes too many talent points on junk AP skills, and misses out on a lot of punch. The loss of DPS was noticeable, the healers in PVP didn't even bother running.

Tried your PVE spec, and the damage was nice. A guarded healer started running, burning, and dying. Problem is, the spec couldn't survive long enough to close the deal. Stun, smash 9K, force throw, stun, smash 9K, force choke, and it's over. AP survives that with at least half health, especially when redoubt proc fires.

Our class is really messed up at the moment. Pyro lost too much of what it had, and it's ridiculous. AP works, but it's like a spare tire. Too many fluff 1% skills on the tree. Yay! 1% bonus damage to bleeding targets, 2% damage decrease, and 1% bonus to fire effects. That competes with firebug and 3% CGC bonus DOT damage.

The CGC and TD nerf were bad enough, but they also took armor penetration, and energy rebounder away. The new kolto overload is stupid. I'm sorry, but it doesn't give enough health back to survive one single smash. So why bother?

The class is ****, and Bioware doesn't give a damn.

the problem with that spec is its ONLY good for dummy DPS... granted most of the mouth breathers think dummy DPS = raid DPS but it doesn't...

compared to put AP you lose movement you lose a great deal of passive damage reduction all for the bonus of less then 100DPS...

Any good raider will tell you that having 15% movement speed will increase raid DPS quite a bit for melee... and every but of damage reduction mean your healers have to heal you less. That hybrid is only useful for putting up dummy numbers it will never beat pure AP in raid fights.

however most of you guys thinks dummy DPS = raid DPS so this post was pointless... but then again you guys were never good players capable to understanding it int he first place.

The defensive one wastes too many talent points on junk AP skills, and misses out on a lot of punch. The loss of DPS was noticeable, the healers in PVP didn't even bother running.

Tried your PVE spec, and the damage was nice. A guarded healer started running, burning, and dying. Problem is, the spec couldn't survive long enough to close the deal. Stun, smash 9K, force throw, stun, smash 9K, force choke, and it's over. AP survives that with at least half health, especially when redoubt proc fires.

Our class is really messed up at the moment. Pyro lost too much of what it had, and it's ridiculous. AP works, but it's like a spare tire. Too many fluff 1% skills on the tree. Yay! 1% bonus damage to bleeding targets, 2% damage decrease, and 1% bonus to fire effects. That competes with firebug and 3% CGC bonus DOT damage.

The CGC and TD nerf were bad enough, but they also took armor penetration, and energy rebounder away. The new kolto overload is stupid. I'm sorry, but it doesn't give enough health back to survive one single smash. So why bother?

The class is ****, and Bioware doesn't give a damn.

You're just bad. Jugg smash is so *********** easy to kill now. Hydraulic Overrides when he slows you, then just kite him and DoT him. They have no hard stuns, so just CC break the mez. Kolto Overload will kill any execute attempts, even a crit if you have enough HP. I have no trouble with any class 1v1, except for assassins and some sentinels.

Prove me that im wrong, but i haven't seen any shadow/assasin and jugg ops dummy parse for 2.9k dps. And i had seen gimped vanguards ones already (no 30% bonus damage on crit on ion pulse - flame burst for you).

And there is no luck in it. Just a raw dps.

That is the difference. We are better in damage than our "can-tank" counterparts, but worse in "utility".

This is how Bioware solved the thing. Do i like it? Depends.

I am glad people are not playing pyros/assault specs only because it had simple rotation and insane damage.

I see couple of determined players with skills, that want to do something.

Should Bioware fix this class in terms of DPS? Maybe.

I would suggest fixing bugs first, but a 15-20% plasma Cell/CGC damage increase could be nice and would fix most dps problems.

And most importantly they should rework top Pyro/Assault and AP/Tactics talents - most notably AP/TD. There is no point going for that skill in both PVE and PVP making hybrid specs that much better. Fire Pulse/Immolate should be somehow reworked to match HIB and HIB inclinations should be moved away from AP/Tactics.

Should we have more "utility" strictly for OPS?

Maybe PTs should have armor debuff separated from HIB/RS and accessible by every spec. That would remove the problem of spending 2+3+2 points in HIB/RS alone. Some of them could be allocated to enforce other - maybe utility skills. Maybe they should fix unusable Endurance/Integrated Cardio talent to give 2%/4% and give us the possibility to allocate that point elsewhere?

Dummy dps is not a good measure of skill. Juggs are insane dps still. I like to think I'm very good at my powertech and I get best by our Jugg dps every time we do something, not that he's better, it's just that juggs have always done more damage than a pt...part of it is because smash is aoe. I will agree about assassins, but even then, they can get 8k mauls...so they're way better on burst. Same with juggs. Burst I what you need to burn down a boss in a soft enrage or a burn phase. That being said I wouldn't want one in my progression group, same with the powertech though, they don't do as much damage as they should to be left with such crappy defensives and nothing else.

Prove me that im wrong, but i haven't seen any shadow/assasin and jugg ops dummy parse for 2.9k dps.

\\\\\\\\\\\\

Where should I begin? Juggernaut DPS is actually quite good right now. I know on my juggernaut (full 162+; 156 weapon), I do only marginally less DPS than my powertech (168 in almost every slot; 162 weapon), and to be honest, at about half the effort. Maybe this is a problem with juggernauts being easy mode in comparison with some other classes, in terms of maximizing raid DPS. However, I have no reservations about saying that in equal gear, there's no question juggernauts are significantly better at DPS than powertechs.

This goes a long way toward eliminating the "hybrid tax" argument that comes up in defense of classes like PT or juggernaut being designed to do less DPS than a sniper, for instance. I don't necessarily think that's an awful design goal, but I do think that the disparity between a sniper and a powertech is too high. Using extreme outliers to defend the notion that powertechs are fine is a bad way to go about it. On average, the class just isn't performing the way it should.

Some powerful raid utility is one way to solve this (think ret paladins/shadow priests circa Sunwell-era in WoW, where their DPS wasn't stellar, but they were nonetheless indispensable to the raid because of the raid damage increase/resource regeneration that they brought).

Ultimately though, finding an intelligent way to give them higher direct DPS is a better solution.

Edited by Metinsith

Where should I begin? Juggernaut DPS is actually quite good right now. I know on my juggernaut (full 162+; 156 weapon), I do only marginally less DPS than my powertech (168 in almost every slot; 162 weapon), and to be honest, at about half the effort. Maybe this is a problem with juggernauts being easy mode in comparison with some other classes, in terms of maximizing raid DPS. However, I have no reservations about saying that in equal gear, there's no question juggernauts are significantly better at DPS than powertechs.

This goes a long way toward eliminating the "hybrid tax" argument that comes up in defense of classes like PT or juggernaut being designed to do less DPS than a sniper, for instance. I don't necessarily think that's an awful design goal, but I do think that the disparity between a sniper and a powertech is too high. Using extreme outliers to defend the notion that powertechs are fine is a bad way to go about it. On average, the class just isn't performing the way it should.

Some powerful raid utility is one way to solve this (think ret paladins/shadow priests circa Sunwell-era in WoW, where their DPS wasn't stellar, but they were nonetheless indispensable to the raid because of the raid damage increase/resource regeneration that they brought).

Ultimately though, finding an intelligent way to give them higher direct DPS is a better solution.

if you are losing to DPS juggs you are doing it wrong. Sorry but every one of you QQers is dead set on playing pyro... Pyro is crap damage if you were smart enough to stop relying on that face roll spec you might see that PTs are more then fine.

Stop playing pyro like some nub from wow and try out AP or just quit... cause crying isn't going to do anything. Good players are still doing more then fine, bad ones just keep crying on the forums.

if you are losing to DPS juggs you are doing it wrong. Sorry but every one of you QQers is dead set on playing pyro... Pyro is crap damage if you were smart enough to stop relying on that face roll spec you might see that PTs are more then fine.

Stop playing pyro like some nub from wow and try out AP or just quit... cause crying isn't going to do anything. Good players are still doing more then fine, bad ones just keep crying on the forums.

Amen to that, so many pyro QQers.

Edited by yoomazir

First of all I would also want to see your parses mate, We would all want to see it.

Show me full AP parse that does 2.8k and i will gladly switch :)

Im afraid you have no idea what you are talking about. full AP loses dps over 22 points in AP. They are better allocated in DOT system CGC provides.

lose CGC and Incendary missile dots which by their own is more than 100dps mate. And yes dots are that much better than your bonus to elemental damage from HEGC.

By the way, Railshot every 6 seconds, that does MORE damage (even without Firebug) than your Immoliate (every 15sec) is the most effective way to dps.

The marginal survivability boost will not reduce any direct single target damage (Stailized armor), and will only further reduce your dps, by spending points.

You also have hold the line/Hydraulics every 30 seconds, you don't need that passive speed boost that much.

So in conclusion. You say that AP is having better DPS uptime on boss than the hybrid which not only can use Railshot every 6 seconds from 30m (Immolate 10m every 15sec), you also lose 2 dots (which are also increased by 3% from gut). You switch that for what? 15% speed boost when you have hydraulics evefry 30secs and combat sentinels/maras that provide speed boost to all the group members? For 30% aoe damage reduction which doesn't work on half of the boss attacks? GG, and play AP further.

Edited by Nezyrworks

PS: you also forgot the benefits of rebounder redoubt, which is up 6 seconds out of every 10 or so in PVE. It also makes the shield available more often if you take fire.

On the target dummies AP is behind pyro, but not by much after the nerf. In the cycle you should be bouncing between three different big hitters on your attack rotation. One of the three is ALWAYS up, so the six second rail shot is moot. Oh and by the way, you don't overheat. Ever. With HEGC.

Immolate - does at least as much as a rail.

RB - to setup the DOT,

FB - damage

RP - almost always crits with combat tech. Free after immolate.

Rail - crits 100% after RP, which makes up for the armor penetration difference.

FB setup PFT

PFT - always use with explosive fuel if possible

RP as a finisher, it crits again.

By now, immolate is back. Restart.

PS: If you really need the extra 100 CGC DPS, that's why the devs created field respec. It takes five seconds to switch to a the hybrid spec, and then switch cylinders. Its convenient because Incendiary missile takes the place of immolate on your button bar. I tried it. The rotation is about the same except you PFT and rail instead of immolate. Clever kids will have an eliminator raid suit, and a combat tech PVP suit.

Pyro and pyro hybrids work may work better for PVE by a small margin, just don't ever try to tell me it's better for PVP.

PVE enemies don't have healers that clear your DOTS constantly.

PVE meat bags don't run, duck, and hide outside of your measly 10 meter range, making overrides a must have.

PVE mobs don't slow, root, or push you constantly, especially after jumping on top of you from 50 meters away, so the extra mobility isn't needed.

PVE mobs don't stun lock you for the minute it takes for resolve to finally fill.

PVE mobs aren't trained monkeys that only know how to derp the 'smash' button.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

PS: you also forgot the benefits of rebounder redoubt, which is up 6 seconds out of every 10 or so in PVE. It also makes the shield available more often if you take fire.

On the target dummies AP is behind pyro, but not by much after the nerf. In the cycle you should be bouncing between three different big hitters on your attack rotation. One of the three is ALWAYS up, so the six second rail shot is moot. Oh and by the way, you don't overheat. Ever. With HEGC.

Immolate - does at least as much as a rail.

RB - to setup the DOT,

FB - damage

RP - almost always crits with combat tech. Free after immolate.

Rail - crits 100% after RP, which makes up for the armor penetration difference.

FB setup PFT

PFT - always use with explosive fuel if possible

RP as a finisher, it crits again.

By now, immolate is back. Restart.

PS: If you really need the extra 100 CGC DPS, that's why the devs created field respec. It takes five seconds to switch to a the hybrid spec, and then switch cylinders. Its convenient because Incendiary missile takes the place of immolate on your button bar. I tried it. The rotation is about the same except you PFT and rail instead of immolate. Clever kids will have an eliminator raid suit, and a combat tech PVP suit.

Pyro and pyro hybrids work may work better for PVE by a small margin, just don't ever try to tell me it's better for PVP.

PVE enemies don't have healers that clear your DOTS constantly.

PVE meat bags don't run, duck, and hide outside of your measly 10 meter range, making overrides a must have.

PVE mobs don't slow, root, or push you constantly, especially after jumping on top of you from 50 meters away, so the extra mobility isn't needed.

PVE mobs don't stun lock you for the minute it takes for resolve to finally fill.

PVE mobs aren't trained monkeys that only know how to derp the 'smash' button.

I can't see the point of this when i had stated already that im using:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZrsMrobRMZfGbbzo.3

And the PVP version of the hybrid is usefull only in specific circumstances over 11/8/27.

Edited by Nezyrworks

I tried that spec, it gets face rolled pretty easy in PVP, pure AP does better. Went up against a good friend running hybrid pyro, same team, civil war. We capped early and the whole game was about killing people who came to our nodes. He beat me on overall DPS by 80K, but I had him on kills by six and fewer deaths by four. I was able to take down a tanked healer after he couldn't, the jugg guard was too much for him 1v1. Not for AP. Guarding east, I took out two different ninja capping SIN's 1v1 without needing help (yes I still called, but then called clear after I killed the attacker). He couldn't 1v1 a sin when he took over guarding, had to call for help and died just when help arrived.

I am using it for PVE operations though, and it is quite effective. Even with the combat tech set, it does better overall.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

First of all I would also want to see your parses mate, We would all want to see it.

Show me full AP parse that does 2.8k and i will gladly switch :)

Im afraid you have no idea what you are talking about. full AP loses dps over 22 points in AP. They are better allocated in DOT system CGC provides.

lose CGC and Incendary missile dots which by their own is more than 100dps mate. And yes dots are that much better than your bonus to elemental damage from HEGC.

By the way, Railshot every 6 seconds, that does MORE damage (even without Firebug) than your Immoliate (every 15sec) is the most effective way to dps.

The marginal survivability boost will not reduce any direct single target damage (Stailized armor), and will only further reduce your dps, by spending points.

You also have hold the line/Hydraulics every 30 seconds, you don't need that passive speed boost that much.

So in conclusion. You say that AP is having better DPS uptime on boss than the hybrid which not only can use Railshot every 6 seconds from 30m (Immolate 10m every 15sec), you also lose 2 dots (which are also increased by 3% from gut). You switch that for what? 15% speed boost when you have hydraulics evefry 30secs and combat sentinels/maras that provide speed boost to all the group members? For 30% aoe damage reduction which doesn't work on half of the boss attacks? GG, and play AP further.

as i said before dummy DPS is there for dummies to think they do good DPS... no-one cares what you do on a dummy, because it is IMPOSSIBLE to do that on a boss fight. i would be shocked to see you break 2400 on a boss fight with that stupid spec... building a spec to do good on a dummy is something only a dummy would do. Powertechs are a melee class so by not taking 15% movement speed you are costing yourself damage EVERY time you have to move. EVERYTIME you take aoe damage (which happens in every operation fight) you are a buron on your healer by not having energy rebounder and stabalized armor, dead DPS does 0 damage.

I have run with guys trying to jacked up useless hybrid and they are over 200 DPS behind my AP spec.. The sheer fact that you think dummy damage matter shows how pathetic of a player you are. There is no fight in game where you get to stand still and tunnel the boss. Dummies are a tool to test gear changes and rotations in a vacuum not to test and see what your raid DPS might be.

as i said before dummy DPS is there for dummies to think they do good DPS... no-one cares what you do on a dummy, because it is IMPOSSIBLE to do that on a boss fight. i would be shocked to see you break 2400 on a boss fight with that stupid spec... building a spec to do good on a dummy is something only a dummy would do. Powertechs are a melee class so by not taking 15% movement speed you are costing yourself damage EVERY time you have to move. EVERYTIME you take aoe damage (which happens in every operation fight) you are a buron on your healer by not having energy rebounder and stabalized armor, dead DPS does 0 damage.

I have run with guys trying to jacked up useless hybrid and they are over 200 DPS behind my AP spec.. The sheer fact that you think dummy damage matter shows how pathetic of a player you are. There is no fight in game where you get to stand still and tunnel the boss. Dummies are a tool to test gear changes and rotations in a vacuum not to test and see what your raid DPS might be.

I'm going to have see some parses. AP is notoriously problematic in operations, a minor increase to the duration of hydraulic overrides doesn't seem like it would make up for the loss of over 200 raw dps from the hybrid, not even taking into account that the hybrid has more options outside of 4m range.

They are both going to be very difficult to play in HM Styrak encounter, so there really needs to be some logs to settle this. I would estimate that the hybrid will be more flexible at range and movement due to PPA and lingering dot effects, and a less strict reliance on flamethrower.

Edited by Marb

You are not only violating the forum rules, by trying to troll and insult other players, but you are also not listening to other players tests and results.

I had never stated that fights do not revolve around moving. In fact i had also talked above about hold the line/hydraulics as a measure, that in my opinion is sufficient.

AP is simply NOT having enough damage on the boss, because by itself the dots from hybrid are making the deal. If you were 200 dps begind the full AP you did it wrong mate. Check the rotation again.

The ONLY reason to stay AP would be for less experienced players that have problems with rotation energy wise.

Because the hybrid player needs to be more careful.

Actually, in most cases the highest powertech parses are either a pyro spec that excludes thermal detonator or an AP/pyro hybrid spec that either goes up to retractable blade or, at highest, prototype flamethrower. I use the latter spec. No idea how you got the idea that I'm a "pyro noob." Other problems with your post include a clear lack of parse research before posting, as well as using extreme outliers as examples of what should be expected or normal (which is ironic because, again, the most extreme outliers actually are pyro specs, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't research at all before posting).

Take your condescension elsewhere and when you have something of substance to contribute, try again.

That hybrid is only useful for putting up dummy numbers it will never beat pure AP in raid fights.

ROFL sorry for the double post, but show me the parses. It is hilarious how you parade around, insulting multiple people in the thread, championing AP, then all I have to do is perform a cursory glance at 16HM parses to tell that you're bull********. Put up or shut up.

Edited by Metinsith

Bioware promised that the classes that can spec heals or tanks would be viable spec'd as DPS - not 'the best at it'. Why wouldn't snipers and marauders be more useful as DPS when that's all they can do? Pyro PT, AP PT, Arsenal/Pyro Merc, Lightning/Madness Sorc - none of these should max out at the same level that a marauder or sniper maxes out at. Working as intended IMHO. All the problems PT DPS has right now is with PVP, which is a whole different matter entirely.

Can you take a Pyro PT on a raid? Sure, and you won't wipe because of them but you're not going to get the fastest finishes in the game either - nor should you.

Bioware promised that the classes that can spec heals or tanks would be viable spec'd as DPS - not 'the best at it'. Why wouldn't snipers and marauders be more useful as DPS when that's all they can do? Pyro PT, AP PT, Arsenal/Pyro Merc, Lightning/Madness Sorc - none of these should max out at the same level that a marauder or sniper maxes out at. Working as intended IMHO. All the problems PT DPS has right now is with PVP, which is a whole different matter entirely.

Can you take a Pyro PT on a raid? Sure, and you won't wipe because of them but you're not going to get the fastest finishes in the game either - nor should you.

That is a LOT OF ****!

All DPS classes & spec's SHOULD be able to obtain the same dps level. Player skill is all that should separate the actual results. HOWEVER the pure dps AC's should & do have the best raid utility. Utility that are useful in PvP as well.

The notion that classes with trees other than DPS should do less damage than a class with three DPS trees is pretty outdated. That said, there's some rationale, albeit weak, for the philosophy to remain in place. My only problem is that there is such a disparity between the top and bottom. There's just too much headroom on the DPS charts.

That is a LOT OF ****!

All DPS classes & spec's SHOULD be able to obtain the same dps level. Player skill is all that should separate the actual results. HOWEVER the pure dps AC's should & do have the best raid utility. Utility that are useful in PvP as well.

does not matter what you think. EAware said they build the game with the pure DPS with a slight advantage in DPS to the other DPS trees.

its how it is deal with it. If you really want to compare yourself, go apples to apples. gauge against other powertechs stop sorry about snipers and marauder be the best powertech and you will get into raids. I out DPS most sniper and marauders on my powertech, if you are good you can overcome the boost they gave to them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.