How does one truly live in balance with the force?

And by that i mean, not purely light side like the jedi aspire to, and not the dark side like the sith do.

How does one strike a balance?

The ancient je'daii tried to keep a balance in the force, but even they leaned towards the light from what ive gathered.

So how does one truly live in balance with the force? Obviously one does not renounce feelings. Love and compassion are just as important as anger and hatred.

The subject interests me as some seem to feel that a "gray" force-user should actively pursue dark side choices simply to balance out the good he does.

And by that i mean, not purely light side like the jedi aspire to, and not the dark side like the sith do.

How does one strike a balance?

The ancient je'daii tried to keep a balance in the force, but even they leaned towards the light from what ive gathered.

So how does one truly live in balance with the force? Obviously one does not renounce feelings. Love and compassion are just as important as anger and hatred.

The subject interests me as some seem to feel that a "gray" force-user should actively pursue dark side choices simply to balance out the good he does.

Easy. Be normal. Sith and Jedi are extremes. Sith are one extreme side that wants to take all that power and gather more. Jedi is at the other extreme, realizing just how dangerous all their power could be.

Balance though would tend to lean a bit more towards the light, as leaning towards the dark would slowly have you falling more and more to the dark..."If I just take this one step further..." while lightside can stay in the lightside without going full monk.

The Voss seem to be very close to balance. They forbid the active use of the Force and only allow receiving visions* and healing rituals**. They are a very closed society, supporting each other, but in general opposing "outsiders". As much as they act light side-y towards other Voss, they act darkish towards the Gormak.

But this is probably only one of several "balanced" approaches to the Force.

*When they receive a vision, they try everything to make the vision happening. No matter if it is light or dark.

**Force healing is often considered light side, but the Voss rituals often take life from someone else to transfer it to the patient. Now that sounds dark side, but they transfer it from consenting sentients or animals.

Edited by Maaruin

The Light Side of the Force is the Balance. Doing good and not being ruled by emotions, basically the Jedi Code stuff. Most Jedi just misinterpret it as denying emotion rather than not being ruled by emotion. Thats why whenever the Sith are defeated there is a time of peace, most notably the thousand year peace before the prequel movies.

Grey Jedi no matter how right the their philosophy sounds eventually fall to the dark side or are of the dark side trying to trick jedi into falling, like Kreia and another fella in ABY forgot his name.

By doing what you believe is right. Will you make mistakes? Sure but we all do. When you make a mistake admit it and learn something from it and go on. We have emotions and that is normal. We have to learn to take it one step at a time and sure we may stumble from time to time but if we admit it and seek to make it right that's all that matters.

By doing what you believe is right. Will you make mistakes? Sure but we all do. When you make a mistake admit it and learn something from it and go on. We have emotions and that is normal. We have to learn to take it one step at a time and sure we may stumble from time to time but if we admit it and seek to make it right that's all that matters.

And don't kill millions of people!

Begin, by reading Joseph Campbell's work.

George Lucas did.

Star Wars is based in part on that work.

The Power of Myth

The Hero's Journey

The Hero with a Thousand Faces

When read these you have. Begin to understand, you will.

Also would help to understand the code. A friend sent this to me when I had questions on a few tthings and it really helped me

“There is no emotion, there is peace.

Emotions are a natural part of living. As the great sagas have shown us, Jedi are not immune to feeling emotions. This tenet is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with. This tenet could be modified to read, "Emotion cannot take away my peace."

Personal Notes from my Friend:

It is not saying you can't love or have emotions it is saying when you are angry or jealous or something in that nature don't act on that. Wait until you are calm and then deal with the situation in a calm and rational manner.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

A Jedi must be circumspective and try to understand the world that is surrounding him. That ignorance does not exist is, of course, a flat-out lie or gross misunderstanding. Simply ignoring facts that do not fit with one's viewpoint is equally foolhardy. Ignorance is a part of life but it must not be feared. For more knowledge to light their way, the Jedi Temple Archives contain possibly the single largest source of information in the galaxy, but this tenet also reminds the Knight that knowledge can be taken from the most unusual places. This tenet is what gives the Jedi his open mind and ability to accept what other beings would tend to see as unacceptable, unbounded by preconceived notions, unfettered by rigid thought, and unhampered by doubt. In other words, this tenet points out that often a Jedi must use not only his rational mind but also his intuitive mind in order to ascertain the truth of a situation.

Personal Note from my Friend:

We have to look at the whole situation to determine which is right. We have to get answers from all sides not just one side and based on judgments and actions on all the information not just one-sided.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

This tenet is more than a repetition of the first. It refers more directly to situations of extreme stress in which a Jedi might be tempted to react strongly, or be so focused on the task and not the goal. That a Jedi must draw his weapon only in defense is an expression of this tenet, keeping all other options open. While emotions and intuition must be understood and utilized in a Jedi's daily life, they must be checked, lest the Jedi act rashly and lose objectivity. Passionate use of power leads to the dark side. A Jedi must always act with a calm hand and an even temper. "when in doubt, stay your hand", observing each situation as clearly as the Force sees it, not clouded with unbridled passion.

Personal Notes from My Friend:

Everyone takes this to mean passion as in love but it actually doesn't (at least to me). It means to me that when something goes wrong and you want to lash out at someone stop and wait and consider what you are doing. You may be tempted to draw your weapon or speak your mind immediately but take a deep breath and calm down and then see the situation in a calmer light. If needed talk to someone you trust about the situation.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

This statement reflects the cosmology of the Jedi Order. Whereas uninitiated beings see the universe as a chaotic and disconnected place, a Jedi realizes that all things are interconnected and, more importantly, interdependent, in a never-ending cycle of balance. While an uninitiated being sees sorrow and tragedy in the workings of the universe, through the Force, a Jedi is able to interpret and understand even the most painful of life's events. Every event has a purpose. Minor inconveniences such as failure, disappointment, and disagreement are also inevitable and should be taken in stride. Jedi do not deny the fact that tragic and terrible things happen; they merely point out that tragedy is simply another part of life. This too leads to a balanced, objective, and realistic view of existence.

Personal Note from My Friend:

When bad things happen take a good look to see if you can see some good in the situation. It could be that it was trying to teach you something, maybe more patience, more understanding. Things happen but we need to look beyond the bad and find the good.

There is no death, there is the Force.”

A common argument is merely observing a thing affects a thing, preventing those ware of their own finite existence from truly seeing the world as the Force sees it. A Jedi, like many ancient feudal knights of various empires, must always be ready for death, and not obsess nor be ruled by it. As a warrior not only in combat but also in day-to-day life, it is easy to fail and fall, then rise up without distraction or attachment holding the Jedi back. The sense of loss is often even greater for one who feels it with the Force, and it is difficult to maintain equilibrium. Death, however, is not a tragedy and is merely a part of the life cycle. Without death, life could not exist.

The Force in us, still lives on after we die. This tenet represents the view of the Jedi Order that accepts, indeed embraces, death and life, rot and growth, corruption and purity, not as opposites but as dual pairs, each can't exist without the other, as nature intends. As such, Jedi do not fear death nor do they mourn it overmuch; a Jedi, after all, must celebrate death if he is to also celebrate life. This tenet is often quoted upon a Jedi's death, sometimes referring to becoming one with the force, or even as living forever as a force ghost. This tenet also reminds the Jedi that death is a transitory state for any living being and is not truly an end to one's life, but merely the beginning of the next stage of one's journey. Through the Force, existence continues both as a constant state of connection to all living things as well as through the state of afterlife which follows death. Death, as perceived by the living, is an illusion and the Jedi must strive to remember this, as it removes what is often seen as the ultimate instinctual fear. When the Jedi have accepted the natural place of their own ending as well as the knowledge that whether they prevail or fall, the Force will remain with them, it becomes easier for a Jedi to put those fears aside and focus on the matters at hand.

Personal Note from my Friend:

Death is a natural aspect of life and no matter what we do we can't stop it. Does it hurt to lose someone you love or a dear friend. Sure it does and anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong. But don't let the grieve overwhelm you so much that you forget to live. A question to ask would your husband, wife, boyfriend, etc want you to stop living? No, if they loved you they would want you to continue living so honor them and do so.

Just to make a few things clear here.

1: i dont need to understand the jedi code, since im not talking about how to be a good jedi.

2: being a jedi is indeed tilted toward the light side.

3: What i want to talk about is how to live in balance with the force. That means not being too connected with either Ashla or Bogan. Simply put, just staying as close to neutral as you can.

Personally, for me the ideal would be to live in complete harmony with nature. Never stop nature from taking its course, but never help it either.

Basically to try to have as little impact on the world as possible.

Of course, that wouldnt work in a game where you are actively trying to change the world. But it is an interesting concept to me.

For a long time both Obi-Wan and Yoda were living this way. Of course, they were in hiding, but still, it meant that they mostly kept to themselves and had as little impact on the world around them as possible.

Also would help to understand the code. A friend sent this to me when I had questions on a few tthings and it really helped me

If understanding the "true" meaning of the Jedi Code requires an essay that basically says "when the Code says X, it doesn't actually mean X", then (IMO) that just shows that the Code is pretty poorly concieved. (Which in turn explains why so many Jedi get it "wrong").

Just to make a few things clear here.

1: i dont need to understand the jedi code, since im not talking about how to be a good jedi.

2: being a jedi is indeed tilted toward the light side.

3: What i want to talk about is how to live in balance with the force. That means not being too connected with either Ashla or Bogan. Simply put, just staying as close to neutral as you can.

Personally, for me the ideal would be to live in complete harmony with nature. Never stop nature from taking its course, but never help it either.

Basically to try to have as little impact on the world as possible.

Of course, that wouldnt work in a game where you are actively trying to change the world. But it is an interesting concept to me.

For a long time both Obi-Wan and Yoda were living this way. Of course, they were in hiding, but still, it meant that they mostly kept to themselves and had as little impact on the world around them as possible.

Exactly. To even try to remain true neutral, one basically has to become a hermit. Want to be a true neutral when it comes to the force? Don't be a hero but don't be a ****** either.

Exactly. To even try to remain true neutral, one basically has to become a hermit. Want to be a true neutral when it comes to the force? Don't be a hero but don't be a ****** either.

Another take on it would be to try and forcefully keep the natural order of things.

For example, stopping the empire from winning the war, but also stopping the republic from wiping out the empire.

Keeping the two powers at a level strength could be considered a balanced approach to the force.

Or simply making sure that if one side is more powerful than the other, then you help the side that is at a disadvantage until it is not.

For example if two sith are fighting one jedi (and they are both equally as strong as the jedi), one could help by fighting one of the sith, but upon his defeat one would simply leave the fight.

Another take on it would be to try and forcefully keep the natural order of things.

For example, stopping the empire from winning the war, but also stopping the republic from wiping out the empire.

Keeping the two powers at a level strength could be considered a balanced approach to the force.

Or simply making sure that if one side is more powerful than the other, then you help the side that is at a disadvantage until it is not.

For example if two sith are fighting one jedi (and they are both equally as strong as the jedi), one could help by fighting one of the sith, but upon his defeat one would simply leave the fight.

But if the Jedi is some psychopath, and the Sith are two law abiding bringers of peace trying to keep the Jedi from killing a planet, by taking out the Sith, one just did darkside, and basically helped wiped out the planet.

You example seems more suited towards D&D style neutral and less Star Wars, which doesn't obey the rules of D&D fantasy alignments.

Not that I know as much about SW canon as many who will read this thread

But there is a recurring theme of force users who may not be "neutral" but are well practiced with both sides of the force.

Revan/Vader being the most obvious examples

I don't read a lot of the books but some times I get lost reading bios in the SW wiki's and you see a whole lot of Jedi succumbing a dark side spirit and then redeeming themselves. Being more powerful than ever

There names allude me at the moment but I'm sure some one can shed some more light on specific characters that have straddled this line

But if the Jedi is some psychopath, and the Sith are two law abiding bringers of peace trying to keep the Jedi from killing a planet, by taking out the Sith, one just did darkside, and basically helped wiped out the planet.

You example seems more suited towards D&D style neutral and less Star Wars, which doesn't obey the rules of D&D fantasy alignments.

But you would still make sure that the equilibrium of the force was upheld. The two equally strong opponents (sith and jeid) had their day and the force took its course and whoever won was the one that was supposed to win.

But you would still make sure that the equilibrium of the force was upheld. The two equally strong opponents (sith and jeid) had their day and the force took its course and whoever won was the one that was supposed to win.

That's not Dark Side/Light Side, that's back to being more D&D alignment. There's a difference.

By what you're saying, when you save a planet from being destroyed by someone, you'd go about destroying another yourself, to even it out.

If you go off of pure canon the definition of balance in the force is when the dark force shroud is cleared, and the force is not diminished.

This is different than the classic definition of the word balance meaning two equals. In Star Wars lore, or at least as far as George is concerned balance in the force is rather stability, where the dark side (power) is not creating a disturbance.

People have their own ideas, but the prophecy of the one (an ancient jedi prophecy / which appears in the movies) is like I said. That's not my own opinion, rather how the movie stats it as.

In that sense the dark side is too uncontrollable, and progressive to find a classic balance of the dark side, and doing good. Once the dark side has you then your destiny is forever changed. Certain games also have their own ideas, like Jedi Academy where Kyle Katarn is able to master certain aspects of the dark side while still withstanding it's allure. This is a game, though, not canon.

So finding a balance in the force by canon definition is rather to be the model Jedi, and having some level of restraint, because when the dark side is manifested it has diminishing effects on the force, since it is unnatural.

Edited by EnsignSorrow

So finding a balance in the force by canon definition is rather to be the model Jedi, and having some level of restraint, because when the dark side is manifested it has diminishing effects on the force, since it is unnatural.

Shan said my Jedi was a model Jedi, one for all other Jedi's to look up to! She did some dark side options. >_>;;