The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

8 second pylon caps

Osceana

I think there are two issues here. Whether you can or cannot defend against a stealth attack doesn't mean why one objective should take 2 less seconds to cap compared to any other similar objective. What if the pylon only took 4 seconds to cap? Sure you can still guard it reasonably effectively if you know what you're doing, and it hurts the enemy team too, but is there a reason why the pylon should take extra short time to cap compared to other WZ objectives? 8 seconds is about right so that you can almost always defend the objective if you defended correctly, even account for some server lag. 6 seconds is a bit too short to always defend reliably if there's any kind of lag on your side.

On the subject of node defense, it's pointless to worry about the case of 2 attackers let alone 2 stealth attackers. If there are two guys, the rest of your team better notice that they're not seeing a lot of red names for a while (2 attackers + at least 1 node guardian, and if enemy team succeeded with an empty net strat then they're gutsy and it's your fault for not noticing). Sure you should call out help and do whatever you can to stall but at that point the defense is up to the rest of your team, not you.

I think there are two issues here. Whether you can or cannot defend against a stealth attack doesn't mean why one objective should take 2 less seconds to cap compared to any other similar objective.

Why not have a different cap time? Makes it different. There's no eleventh commandment that all warzones must have the same mechanics. Making all warzones the same = not fun.

Agree with the part about it being your team's fault if they don't realise half the enemy team have gone somewhere else.

Edited by Wainamoinen

Why not have a different cap time? Makes it different. There's no eleventh commandment that all warzones must have the same mechanics. Making all warzones the same = not fun.

If you do that then the BADS will scream murder for their brains cannot hold such an amount of information relating to 4 different cap times

Agree with the part about it being your team's fault if they don't realise half the enemy team have gone somewhere else.

Consistency makes it easier to determine balance. What if Alderaan side nodes only took 4 seconds to cap? Again this wouldn't give anybody an inherent advantage, but it just means you now have to think about how to hold the sides very differently. Now if this change is designed to weaken the strength of the side nodes, sure variety is fine here. But if you're doing this just for the sake of being different, then I don't think it's a good idea. I don't really see how the 6s cap on Hypergates adds any strategy and it seems to be just there for the sake of being different. I understand this map has a shorter travel time between where action takes place and the nodes, but it still feels weird.

Just the other day had a very unpleasant occasion, where a shadow opened on my operative. The enemy managed to do some serious damage to me, and although I managed to get back into stealth, she began capping, and when I tried to interrupt, she just finished me off, and then capped. Didn't have time to call for help.

I can see now I should have used tranquilizer to delay her, rather than try and open up on her, but the fact is that if the opposing team manages a stealth cap, they tend to be the teams that are railroading you anyway, so there's not much you can do.

I can see now I should have used tranquilizer to delay her, rather than try and open up on her,

At least you see your mistakes and will (hopefully) correct them, I wish more puggers were more like you. By now you would actually be an asset to the teams I'm normally on...

You can't even get your sig in order I can't expect you to be an expert on pvp mechanics.

This... in droves. Attention to detail is obviously not a strong suit, nor is utilizing the commands and abilities at hand for their proper purpose... e.g. the PREVIEW SIGNATURE button.

Generally speaking in a 1on1 you should always assume whoever attacking is better than you and will kill you so you should wait for the backup if it's at all possible to stall. There's no harm waiting for a 2on1, especially on Hypergates where kills definitely matter, because unless the other side has no defender on their node, you're still equally matched in numbers everywhere else. That said I don't like mezzing the attackers because it gives them 75% of their resolve bar filled which means if you think that guy was going to beat you before, now he's definitely going to beat you with this advantage, so this should only be reserved if you know the attacker is extremely good.

I really hate it when I call '1 inc Pylon' and then 20 seonds later I type like 'clear', because i killed that guy 1on1, and the help never came. I mean in this case help didn't matter, but what if I lost the fight? You should never win or lose a node battle without someone else coming, because it's just too risky as losing that node has a high chance of costing your team the game, while if the attacker dies it's generally just a minor setback for the opposing team.

Generally speaking in a 1on1 you should always assume whoever attacking is better than you and will kill you so you should wait for the backup if it's at all possible to stall. There's no harm waiting for a 2on1, especially on Hypergates where kills definitely matter, because unless the other side has no defender on their node, you're still equally matched in numbers everywhere else. That said I don't like mezzing the attackers because it gives them 75% of their resolve bar filled which means if you think that guy was going to beat you before, now he's definitely going to beat you with this advantage, so this should only be reserved if you know the attacker is extremely good.

I really hate it when I call '1 inc Pylon' and then 20 seonds later I type like 'clear', because i killed that guy 1on1, and the help never came. I mean in this case help didn't matter, but what if I lost the fight? You should never win or lose a node battle without someone else coming, because it's just too risky as losing that node has a high chance of costing your team the game, while if the attacker dies it's generally just a minor setback for the opposing team.

You never know when that 1v1 could turn into a 2v1 when someone pops out of stealth when you're about to finish the other guy and most of your CD's are burned either. Keywords for solo defenders: "DELAY, DELAY, SCREAM FOR HELP LIKE A LITTLE GIRL."

You never know when that 1v1 could turn into a 2v1 when someone pops out of stealth when you're about to finish the other guy and most of your CD's are burned either. Keywords for solo defenders: "DELAY, DELAY, SCREAM FOR HELP LIKE A LITTLE GIRL."

When in trouble

When in doubt

Run in circles!

Scream and shout!

That happens to me often as well. I think part of the problem is too much useless text in chat (the npc messages) knocking the calls off the page too quickly.

So I usually call first, then mezz. If I don't see anyone coming by the time the 8 seconds are up, I'll call again just before the second mezz. If no one can peel for you in 16 seconds then it's the fault of the other 7 players if the node gets lost.

And yes, solo defending an off node means screaming like a little girl at the first sign of a red tag, no matter how good you are or leet your gear is.

I still hate the AH war zone though.

Edited by Ridickilis

Some pugs are great some are just painful, luck of the draw.

Have to agree with calling for help and nobody coming. I've run a few pugs lately where its just chaos. We lost one when we had grass turret and while fighting for mid, others started to split off and go for snow. I'm guarding grass alone, get stealthed no problem. but now there are two, one stealth appears at turret. type help grass. now 3 are there. so as i die i hit the map key, everyone went to try and capture snow. We lost grass and mid, but hey we got snow.

it does seem like on alot of the pugs the imps have more organization. They seem to understand that all you have to do is interrupt and stun prevent the other team capturing. Sure you have to kill them too but watching some of the matches where I am tied up with 3 imps and one at the door and the help doesn't stun or interrupt the door imp but instead goes for a kill somewhere else is frustrating. I've sacrificed myself a few time just breaking free of the 3 just to hit the door guy before dying while reading "dudeA dances with dudeB" in the chat wndow.

Just the other day had a very unpleasant occasion, where a shadow opened on my operative. The enemy managed to do some serious damage to me, and although I managed to get back into stealth, she began capping, and when I tried to interrupt, she just finished me off, and then capped. Didn't have time to call for help.

I can see now I should have used tranquilizer to delay her, rather than try and open up on her, but the fact is that if the opposing team manages a stealth cap, they tend to be the teams that are railroading you anyway, so there's not much you can do.

Nice post.;)

Unless you're a class with superb defensive abilities you're kind of already dead if there are two guys so you really shouldn't have to worry about it. The only exception I can think of is on Alderaan because you can delay by simply going in a circle around the turret, so against ranged classes, especially Snipers, it is generally better to simply hug the turret and wait for reinforcements to arrive. That said, what if their side's reinforcement got here before yours do? If you were able to kill that guy solo, you might have time to heal up. There's obviously no correct solution for every case but if you think you have a better than 50/50 chance of winning, you might as well try to kill the attacker first. If not, yeah do whatever you can to delay, but if you're fighting someone you have no chance of winning, you usually won't be delaying him anyway.