Subscription: Advertisement vs Truth

MisterMuse

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Complimentary" means, per m-w.com, "given free as a courtesy or favor." Subs do not get their CC stipend as a courtesy or favor. They get them as an incentive to subscribe, like a rebate.

LOL... really? really??

Complimentary means "at no additional charge". That is all it means. The reasons for making something complimentary has nothing to do with the term, but rather to do with "why". And yes.. the why is almost always an incentive or a reward for making a choice.

It is common to get complimentary beverage with a meal in some resturaunts. All that means is that you get something at no additional charge. In the minds of most human beings... "at no additional charge" means they got something free... AS IN... DID NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

You evidently don't know what the word "free" means.

Actually, he does. You don't. Because "complimentary" is defined by the term "given free". And you're trying to argue that complimentary Cartel coins are not free, that you're paying for them. So, substituting it in:

"Cartel coins that are given free as a favor or courtesy are not free." That is an oxymoron. Completely illogical and false.

Either it's free or it's not. "Uh, this is free, but you have to pay for it."

How silly can you get exactly?

The correct statement would be: "uh, THIS is free, with the purchase of THAT". You can also purchase THIS if you like.

"Free with conditions" is an oxymoron. Either it's free or it's not. "Uh, this is free, but you have to pay for it."

Really? Because nothing in this world is free. Even F2P players are really playing for free. Someone is paying for the computer, the internet, the power supplied to the game, the food the user ate to supply them with energy to play. And that's where you're wrong. Cartel coins aren't "free if you pay for them". You're targeting the coins as being paid for. It's the subscription you're paying for, not the Cartel Coins. Those are free. Once again... go back to complimentary and try disapproving that.

Let's go back to the basic premise here:

Are the coins complimentary? Yes, according to the website

Does complimentary mean "free of charge" or "given free"? Yes.

Therefore, the coins are "free of charge" or "given free".

Please show me the fallacy in my logic there, and please insert your proof with factual givens leading to a logical conclusion.

Edited by Lostpenguins

Actually, he does. You don't. Because "complimentary" is defined by the term "given free". And you're trying to argue that complimentary Cartel coins are not free, that you're paying for them. So, substituting it in:

"Cartel coins that are given free as a favor or courtesy are not free." That is an oxymoron. Completely illogical and false.

Good thing that's not what I said, then, isn't it?

The monthly CC are not complimentary, they're not free and they're not given as a courtesy. If it helps you sleep at night to think of them that way, go for it.

It's the subscription you're paying for, not the Cartel Coins.

They are included with your sub fee as an incentive to get you to sub. If they were free, BWEA would jut give them to us, no strings attached. I can say that more if it will help, but I don't think it will.

For whatever reason, the notion that the CC be characterized as free is very dear to you. But please don't try to explain it. I don't care why.

Edited by branmakmuffin

How silly can you get exactly?

The correct statement would be: "uh, THIS is free, with the purchase of THAT". You can also purchase THIS if you like.

I am convinced that you either work for Bioware, paid generously for your efforts to defend every single action they take or you are brainwashed.

The monthly CC are not complimentary, they're not free and they're not given as a courtesy. If it helps you sleep at night to think of them that way, go for it.

Says who??

They are free.. They are complimentary.. And they are given as a free courtesy.. If it helps you sleep at night to lie to yourself, to go right ahead..

But you aren't fooling any of us.. You just want to think that you pay for them so that you have something to QQ about.. If they are free, well then you have nothing to complain about.. Guess what.. You have nothing to complain about.. Honest.. :rolleyes:

I am convinced that you either work for Bioware, paid generously for your efforts to defend every single action they take or you are brainwashed.

Well, color me blue and call me Chiss, she did need to be told again.

Not sure how this happened, but I agree with you.

And I'd like to point out that you're clearly wrong here. Here's the proof :

http://www.swtor.com/free

Scroll down to the chart, where it clearly states the rewards for Current Subscribers

On there it clearly states:

Rewards Program: Ongoing

CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS

500 Complimentary Cartel Coins Per Month

Subscriber Monthly Reward for a One (1) Month Subscription

Clearly BW explains the coins are complimentary. You're saying they're not complimentary. Clearly you or BW is wrong. And I'm pretty sure BW's legal team and pretty much the legal system, in general, says it's you.

I am convinced that you are just a hater and it doesn't matter how baseless the complain is, you are gonna hate and QQ to the rest of us..

As for brainwashed??? What is a mirror???

As for me.. I will always defend what is right and fair.. Be it the players, or Bioware.. It just seems that for some people Bioware and EA can't win for losing.. Everything they do is wrong.. Well.. I just have to wonder why people that feel that way are even here and not in some other forum complaining there.. :rolleyes:

I'll take my definition of "free" from Mirriam-Webster.

Really?? Good now look up complementary.. Tell us what that mean and how it doesn't apply here.. I await your most educated response.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

I am greatly enjoying the debate on whether or not complimentary Cartel Coins are free on not.

That said, the Cathar skin is one of many things being added in 2.1. As a subscriber, I will decide then if it worth paying for the custimizations that I enjoy (I love changing my characters, A LOT). Mostly due to this is one of three MMO's I have a subscription too. If it is comparable to the ones I play, fine. If not, then I will decide then.

I'll take my definition of "free" from Mirriam-Webster.

Lol, did you even read the post or are you just arguing about the fact that link has the word "free" in it? Pay attention to the whole post as I quoted the used the word "complimentary".

Yes, and "complimentary" by m-w.com means "free of charge".

That's the funny part. You're trying to argue that BW's use of the word "complimentary" is incorrect. When they say "complimentary"... they are saying "complimentary". And you're telling me that "complimentary" doesn't mean what it means by the very source you reference (m-w). Haha. That's hilarious.

Once again: I'll go back to the my premise. BW states the coins are complimentary. m-w.com says "complimentary" means "given free". You're saying the coins are not "given free", thus they cannot be complimentary. Therefore, either you or BW is wrong. And, as I stated, the legal system seems to be behind BW. And you just have you a few other naysayers in this thread... who do you think is wrong? You and the people who agree with you, or a company, a legal department, and the legal system in general?

Or, do I need to hold your hand again down this path of reasoning:

Answer of each of these questions:

Does BW define the coins given to subscribers as complimentary?

Does complimentary mean "free or charge" or "given free"?

Does this mean those coins are "free of charge" or "given free"?

If any of these are no, please explain to me how they are know are supporting references to support your claims.

Edited by Lostpenguins

You are so cute when you are try to be coy and perjorative all in the same sentence. :D

They're doing something no other game has done before, charging for use of the barbershop. That's just shows how much they consider us to be 'not going anywhere'.

Really?? WOW is a game.. It is doing it.. So is GW2.. Is that a game?? They are doing it too.. Guess you are just wrong.. :eek:

Edited by MajikMyst

Yes, and "complimentary" by m-w.com means "free of charge".

Wow, we agree. I'm charged ~$15 a month for my subscription, so it's not free of charge and neither is the CC stipend. If the CCs are free, then every other thing included with a subscription is also free and the monthly fee is, what, a processing fee to allow us access to all the game features we get for free?

Wow, we agree. I'm charged ~$15 a month for my subscription, so it's not free of charge and neither is the CC stipend. If the CCs are free, then every other thing included with a subscription is also free and the monthly fee is, what, a processing fee to allow us access to all the game features we get for free?

:eek:

:rolleyes:

No, I clearly stated that BW refers to the coins as complimentary which means the coins are "given free as a courtesy or favor". Please see that the definition means "given free". Or, if you want, look at the fact that complimentary also means "free of charge"... in that the coins aren't being charged. They are at 100% discount.

When you say the coins aren't free, you're saying they're not complimentary. So, clearly BW is lying and using false advertisement. Is that what you're saying?