Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is it wrong that I believe we should receive some sort of formal apology?

Cilas

Sorry, but you need to decide:

Do you want a level playing field (as said in you previous post) or are you ok with a large gear gap between people who spent vastly different amount of time playing the game (as you say now). What shall it be?

By the way, your quoted post was the attempt of an actual insult, it failed miserably. You can get full partisan + a few pieces of conq gear easily in three weeks besides having a fulltime job and a active social life. I know, I have.

LOL at 3 weeks, there are 2 dailies and 2 weeklies for level 55, if you don't get a full set of partisan in a week (with a full time job), you probably aren't doing much PvP.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, you are not wrong to ask for an apology. This whole Bolster debacle has been a PR catastrophe. Remember when Marco Rubio awkwardly drank a sip of water during the State of the Union response, and then tweeted that pic of the bottle, or when Oreo rushed out some clever marketing during the Superbowl blackout?

That nimbleness and wit is what people have come to expect. Bioware should definitely issue a formal apology, but they should back it up with some cool perks for people who were subbed for the launch of 2.0. I am dead serious that they should release a Jawa pet clutching a torn couch pillow ("broken bolster"), along with other cool/useful ingame items. A free month of sub would not be overdoing it.

They have lagged utterly behind this whole situation. From ignoring the PTS feedback, to repeated failed patches, to a lack of acknowledgement or response that actually engages the community. Poorly handled on every front.

An apology is definitely needed. This has been an embarassingly poor rollout. The "fixes" have not solved the issues, and the result is an even larger gear-gap. They've just screwed the hardcore PvP base instead of the casual PvPer. The fact that empty augments are still a problem is a joke, and don't even get me started on the PVE gear in PvP issue.

There is always going to be a gear-gap. The only question is who will be at the disadvantage. Common sense dictates that those that play more and put in more time would have the advantage, but welcome to the 21st century where common sense is not so common. Ergo, we get a system that intends to only provide a "slight" advantage to those who chose to grind out the gear, and in fact, gives significant advantage, at least at present, to those that don't even have pvp gear.

The fixes haven't worked and everything is a giant mess. Not only is an apology needed, but some sort of mega-roll back or reworking of things (I'm not holding my breath)...but I'm also not really playing much at the moment either.

We'll see what changes come as the subscriber base drops even more.

OP, you are not wrong to ask for an apology. This whole Bolster debacle has been a PR catastrophe. Remember when Marco Rubio awkwardly drank a sip of water during the State of the Union response, and then tweeted that pic of the bottle, or when Oreo rushed out some clever marketing during the Superbowl blackout?

That nimbleness and wit is what people have come to expect. Bioware should definitely issue a formal apology, but they should back it up with some cool perks for people who were subbed for the launch of 2.0. I am dead serious that they should release a Jawa pet clutching a torn couch pillow ("broken bolster"), along with other cool/useful ingame items. A free month of sub would not be overdoing it.

They have lagged utterly behind this whole situation. From ignoring the PTS feedback, to repeated failed patches, to a lack of acknowledgement or response that actually engages the community. Poorly handled on every front.

Exactly, they had a large number of people resub for 2.0 only to be let down with this mess. If I had resubbed for this mess? I would have hit the unsub button immediately.

I love this game and think it is fun. Bolster affects all pvpers but I live with it... Point is I want this to be a healthy game and EXPAND its subscriber base...

I agree Cilas - this is a massive f'up, one after the other, with absolutely no understanding of what they're actually doing, nor do they seem to understand exactly what it is they need to FIX! The sloppiness being exhibited is mind boggling atm.

So simple, yet so under appreciated by most companies; especially software gaming developers.

For some reason BW/EA believes we still live in the early 1900. Large silent monolithic and imposing businesses that will tell you what you want and you will like it. If you don't enjoy it, you're doing it wrong. (aka- being a baddie, ur terrible, l2p, and I'm awesome so sorry your not)

But Bio is not completely to blame. Every single response that they offer is completely picked apart by someone that wants to, prove them wrong, Show off their supreme observations and intelligence, say I told you so, or take out their small man complex on a faceless post in which they don't have to be responsible for what they say... or how they say it.

Now having said that. public internet forums are not for the faint of heart. BW needs to hire someone who knows how to manage a customer population and set expectations, and yes, ENGAGE the consumer.

You guys realize that without bolster, there would be an enormous gap between geared players and players just getting to 55? There is no recruit set to start people out now. There is literally nothing to start people off in end-game PvP. There has to be Bolster.

In my opinion, it's working. People can fight on a much more even playing field. People who spend 14 hours in a video game daily and getting gear still have advantages. But those advantages are flattened somewhat.

Who wants to win games just because they're more geared? /yawn.

Bring back recruit gear. Just give it the same stats as partisan but with 1400 expertise total.

Such a simple solution for level 55 PvP. I understand the need for bolster in 10-54. That's it, though. What's happening now in 55 pvp is pure, unneccessary failure - bordering on stupidity shrouded in developer arrogance.

Edited by islander

Step by step solution:

1) Delete that Bolster crap and give theses casual and PvE guys some recruit gear.

2) Make sure the gap between recruit and Partisan isn't big like 1.6-.1.7.

3) And then take my money so I could appreciate the SWTOR PvP has it should be.

---

*Sidenote: Fix this really fast because too many exploiter using augment trick to get stats and soon it will the standard. Naked WZ then augment trick WZ.

What's next ?

Not to derail the original intentions of this thread... But the bolster system was a stupid idea/way to get PvE'ers into PvP. Even when we had recruit gear, PvE'ers were too stubborn and wanted to wear their gear from operations. Instead of making a set of moddable recruit gear that could maaaaybe make people had, they spent who knows how many man hours building a system that's still broken.

Tl;dr.. Bolster was bioware's way to make PvE'ers happy when they pvp

Step by step solution:

1) Delete that Bolster crap and give theses casual and PvE guys some recruit gear.

2) Make sure the gap between recruit and Partisan isn't big like 1.6-.1.7.

3) And then take my money so I could appreciate the SWTOR PvP has it should be.

---

*Sidenote: Fix this really fast because too many exploiter using augment trick to get stats and soon it will the standard. Naked WZ then augment trick WZ.

What's next ?

They won't go back to recruit gear because PvE'ers never used it anyways. Stupid that they try to accommodate PvE'ers even in PvP

I didn't take any screen shots, so I will be careful what to say; you can discount it if you like.

As before 2.0, I have won some matches, and lost some matches. I've been teamed-up with both experienced, proficient teammates, and some not so good. you can go straight from losing Huttball 6-0, to scoring 3 out of 6 winning goals in the next match.

I recently ran up against a Guardian in PVE gear, with HP WELL beyond 30K. Gear doesn't matter with Bolster? Some of these level 55 PVE'rs have accumulated some KILLER gear. And Bolster is turning "killer" into "invincible". So the age-old debate of skill versus gear raged on in the chat. "If you'd L2P and kill the healers, we'd win." Point taken. But how do you kill a healer being well-guarded by a toon with close to 33K HP? And the Guardian knew how to play.

So the debate in PVP rages on. I was more or less accepting of Bolster until last night. Now, not so much.

They won't go back to recruit gear because PvE'ers never used it anyways. Stupid that they try to accommodate PvE'ers even in PvP

Recruit gear should accomodate them. They didn't use it in the past because the non-expertise stats were horrible.

Fix the stats to be on par to partisan, save for expertise, and give it to them for free.

If they still don't use it, to hell with them. Your lolraid is over there ---->

Edited by islander

I just want it to be fixed. And I don't mind if they take the servers down in prime time to do it. The exploits are gamebreaking and easy to produce. The system overall still doesn't make sense according to what we've been told. This has not been a simple solution. It has not been an effective solution. It has effectively borked PvP for two weeks now. if we're waiting until next Tuesday for a fix on this, I don't know. There are some things I can't justify. This has been an absolute disaster.

I want a formal fix

You've had 3 of them...why would another make it any better?

Honestly, they need to remove Bolster from 55 and just make "expertise" an innate stat of like 1300-1500, any time your gear exceeds that, then the gear expertise should be applied.

The amount of sloppy programming and lazy effort being exhibited is just comical.

Honestly, they need to remove Bolster from 55 and just make "expertise" an innate stat of like 1300-1500, any time your gear exceeds that, then the gear expertise should be applied.

The amount of sloppy programming and lazy effort being exhibited is just comical.

Agreed -

Gear is not suppose to be important with bolster, or is that the point you are making?

Gear is still important with bolster, but the "recruits" dont get 3 shotted anymore.

Working as intended.

The only thing bolster is suposed to do is give expertise and some raw stats to people with terribad gear.

Naked bolster and arkanian bolster are unintended features (bugs, bioware slacking, etc) that will be eventually fixed.

Even tho i could care less about PvErs having strong gear for PvP, regular warzones, who cares? Theres no bolster in rated warzones.

Bolster has transformed regular warzones in what they are suposed to be: a breeding ground for new players or PvE players testing out and learning the basics of PvP.

With pre-bolster gear sharking no one new at PvP (because hes starting out as a fresh player or because hes a PvEr who is just trying out) had a chance to learn at all. It was impossible for new players to ''settle in" and no wonder the PvP community drained out of activity almost completely.

If Darth Malgus was alive we would say something like "BOLSTER GIVES US POWER".

Edited by Laforet

Seriously.

"We're two patches deep into ROTHC with this new bolster system, and there are still pretty serious bugs that allow players to take advantage of exploits."

Can someone (without needing to explain *HOW* to exploit) at least post some evidence of how much of a stat problem this creates? I've yet to see these people with 40k HP doing 1mil damage a match. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Nevermind, saw the thread. Looks like you can gain about 10-15% stats now. IMHO, not ground shattering (definitely not as bad as the recruit->EWH gap). It'll get fixed.

Edited by dcgregorya

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.