Anyone with a GTX 680?

halueryphi

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for people with a gtx 680 to tell me their fps and their drivers, settings, etc. Because I'm getting fps drops to the mid 40s sometimes high 30s and wanted to know if anyone else with a 680 was having these issues.

Yep, this game is poorly optimized and runs like ****.

I have a GTX 680 and do not notice slowdowns in the mid 40s. When I don't cap it @ 60, I normally run 110 pretty much all the time except occasionally I'll drop to 80 when there are a lot of players around. I'm running the current drivers from 3/4/2013 and haven't gone back into NVidia Inspector to cap FPS yet.

One thing that does affect the FPS pretty drastically is scaling name plates with distance so I turn that off. I also turn the grass and tree detail down to 0. Everything else is maxed out on the SWTOR side.

Is the rest of your computer outdated?

Just adding a good graphics card is not enough if everything else is not up to par.

Agree, sometimes simply adding more RAM can help with that. A good site to go to is canyourunit.com. Put in TOR and it will check everything and let you know if it passes, and if anything needs an upgrade. Very useful site, use it in ts games all the time.

Second thing to look at is do you have an integrated video card as well? If you do, the game may be running on that card instead of the GTX. This again is a simple fix by basically telling the right card to run TOR.

i7 3770k, 18gb ram, Samsung 500GB SSD. It's definitely NOT my pc :p. I play bf3 and never drop down below 60. But I do have shadows trees and nameplate distance on. So I'm going to try reducing that and see what it does. And I also have the latest drivers.

And It's not integrated graphics because I can easily reach 60. It just slows down in combat and stuff.

Edited by halueryphi

Do you have more than one video card though? Check that, I do alot of tech support and believe me when I tell you, that is one thing we run into alot. Worth checking out, usually 9 times out of 10 that is the issue. You could also try msconfiging and see if that fixes anything as well. Sometimes programs running in the background can cause these issues as well.

MS configing shuts them all down, if it runs better after doing that, I'd reenable them in batches of 10 and then try it until it happens again, to narrow down the program that could be giving you the issue.

Do you have more than one video card though? Check that, I do alot of tech support and believe me when I tell you, that is one thing we run into alot. Worth checking out, usually 9 times out of 10 that is the issue. You could also try msconfiging and see if that fixes anything as well. Sometimes programs running in the background can cause these issues as well.

MS configing shuts them all down, if it runs better after doing that, I'd reenable them in batches of 10 and then try it until it happens again, to narrow down the program that could be giving you the issue.

You sound like a tech support agent I WOULD NOT want helping me.

I have an HD 7950, i5 2500K @ 4.1, 16GB ram, intel SSD. I get dips also, but I'm pretty sure it's just server lag. I've had this system for over a year and I have noticed that the lag has increased over time. It never used to be this bad.

Umm.. The fps counter is red. So it's the video card slowing it down. This wouldn't really help :confused:

I'm down to 10 fps as I'm running through the masses infront of the mission boxes on the fleet. My settings do not affect this, it's the same on max as on low.

That's with 680 GTX'es in SLI. I blame the netcode.

Edited by MidichIorian

Is't the in game FPS meter RED = cpu bound GREEN = gpu bound ?

So your fps meter is RED its your CPU that's struggling not the GPU

Correct me if I'm wrong

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/76972-why-is-my-fps-meter-always-in-the-red-now-i-think-after-1-3-this-started

Couldn't find the post on swtor.com. But I've read this exact thing from bioware twice now.

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/76972-why-is-my-fps-meter-always-in-the-red-now-i-think-after-1-3-this-started

Couldn't find the post on swtor.com. But I've read this exact thing from bioware twice now.

Thanks a lot for the info I was under the impression it was the other way round, this is actually good news for me as it means I been looking at the wrong hardware and can start looking at other options :rolleyes:

I have an old rig with intel 2.4 quad over clocked to 3.2 with 4gb of ddr2 & ssd my card is a HD6850 also over clocked so I assumed my cpu would be the bottleneck as the card is much newer.

Thanks for the correction :)

i7 3770k, 18gb ram, Samsung 500GB SSD. It's definitely NOT my pc :p. I play bf3 and never drop down below 60. But I do have shadows trees and nameplate distance on. So I'm going to try reducing that and see what it does. And I also have the latest drivers.

And It's not integrated graphics because I can easily reach 60. It just slows down in combat and stuff.

It actually IS your pc. The problem is your 3770k. This game, much like most MMO's and many games, does not play well with hyperthreading on intel i7's, it actually causes decreased performance.

Oh and for comparison, I have an i5-3570k, GTX 670, Crucial M4 256gb ssd, game maxed out and it runs at perfect fps at all times, I never see any slowdown or fleet or anything, only minor, occasional stutter on say voss with the grass issue everyone gets hit by on maxed out settings. I have the game maxed out, 1080p at all times.

On a side note, I am guessing you do a lot of rendering or data encoding? The hyperthreading on i7's is terrible for gaming, but nice if you do a ton of encoding and rendering and all, but for me personally I passed on the i7 and instead went with the ivy i5 simply because of the common performance degredation issue hyperthreading causes on a ton of games.

Hope this info helps, but understand, there is no fix or workaround for the compatibility issues with game engines and hyperthreading, that would of course require a games engine being coded specifically for direct compatibility with hyperthreading. As it stands, a multi core aware engine just sees any core, physical or virtual, as a core, and virtual hyperthreaded cores do not process at the same rate as physical ones, hence the performance issues in games it causes.

Edited by Antreya

It actually IS your pc. The problem is your 3770k. This game, much like most MMO's and many games, does not play well with hyperthreading on intel i7's, it actually causes decreased performance.

Oh and for comparison, I have an i5-3570k, GTX 670, Crucial M4 256gb ssd, game maxed out and it runs at perfect fps at all times, I never see any slowdown or fleet or anything, only minor, occasional stutter on say voss with the grass issue everyone gets hit by on maxed out settings. I have the game maxed out, 1080p at all times.

On a side note, I am guessing you do a lot of rendering or data encoding? The hyperthreading on i7's is terrible for gaming, but nice if you do a ton of encoding and rendering and all, but for me personally I passed on the i7 and instead went with the ivy i5 simply because of the common performance degredation issue hyperthreading causes on a ton of games.

Hope this info helps, but understand, there is no fix or workaround for the compatibility issues with game engines and hyperthreading, that would of course require a games engine being coded specifically for direct compatibility with hyperthreading. As it stands, a multi core aware engine just sees any core, physical or virtual, as a core, and virtual hyperthreaded cores do not process at the same rate as physical ones, hence the performance issues in games it causes.

This post is actually confusing me quite a bit. If you'll look at the post above yours that states what the fps meter indicates, you'll see that my problem is actually rendering bound/gpu. So I don't really understand how the cpu could be causing this issue. :confused:. Unless that dev lied and red actually DOES mean cpu. But I doubt it. Whenever I get really low fps, my gpu load will go down to below 20%.

Edited by halueryphi