Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

For the queues problem

Mikutzu

I am playing on Tomb of Freedon Nadd (the highest populated PvP server in EU atm). I get 4-5-6h queues when I get home at 4-5pm GMT.

If you got an iOS/android phone, you can do this little trick: remote desktop connection from phone, to your home computer (it has to be turned on ofc) and log in the game 2-3h before you reach home.

How do you do that? I recommend the following apps: Splashtop for iOS, androidVNC for android phones.

There are lots of guides on google and youtube how to do this, so go on :) It takes 30 mins or less to set up stuff. And don't tell me you don't have a smartphone, they are giving them for free nowadays.

a little tip: if you have a router and not a straight away internet connection, you need to forward the 5500, 5800 and 5900 ports to your local IP. If you have an ISP that likes to change your IP everytime you start your computer, no-ip.com is your friend.

Good luck!

No one should ever log off. That's the best solution to this que problem. If you never have to log in you never have to be in a que.

The simples macro will keep you on all day long ...

And would promptly get people banned (other MMOs have taken action on people for automating themselves to stay online), thus they wouldn't be in the queue blocking the honest players! Brilliant thinking!

Except their aren't macros, blast.

No one should ever log off. That's the best solution to this que problem. If you never have to log in you never have to be in a que.

The simples macro will keep you on all day long ...

It will be a problem if everyone does that you'd end up in a 10000 queue, you like that instead? Makes the problem only bigger for the other people that actually want to play instead.

And would promptly get people banned (other MMOs have taken action on people for automating themselves to stay online), thus they wouldn't be in the queue blocking the honest players! Brilliant thinking!

Except their aren't macros, blast.

Sorry the post was a tad to difficult, I forgot to add the /sarcasm in the end.

a little tip: if you have a router and not a straight away internet connection, you need to forward the 5500, 5800 and 5900 ports to your local IP.

Could you explain more?

A router with NAT functionality (all routeres from ISPs have NAT) should have the exact opposite effect. Also, if forwarding ports from WAN to LAN should be necessary to play this game, you would theoretically be limited to only one computer being able to access the game.

Lots of homes have multiple devices on the LAN side behind the router - heck even my plasma tv is on the internet : ). And in my situation both me and my wife play (together), without forwarding anything.

Edited by Massimoto

Could you explain more?

A router with NAT functionality (all routeres from ISPs have NAT) should have the exact opposite effect. Also, if forwarding ports from WAN to LAN should be necessary to play this game, you would theoretically be limited to only one computer being able to access the game.

Lots of homes have multiple devices on the LAN side behind the router - heck even my plasma tv is on the internet : ). And in my situation both me and my wife play (together), without forwarding anything.

You don't need port forwarding to play SW:TOR, I was talking about the apps. You need to forward the ports Splashtop/androidVNC are using, to your computer, so that when you connect from your phone, the router knows how to send you to your PC and not to a different device in your LAN.

On another note, please keep this post clear of whining about queues guys, this is my try of a constructive solution to this problem, not a another rant post.

Would this work for someone who doesn't want to get booted from a server for being afk? IE: I've got quite a few plans this week which will leave me going out for 2-3 hours at a time. In those instances could I load up the remote desktop app, click on my game client and force my character to move through my Galaxy S2 so he doesn't get kicked for being AFK?

No, you cannot play from your phone :) The remote connection is limited on what you can do on the desktop, any full screen apps make your smartphone go blankscreen.

However, I didn't try to see if it works with the game on window mode, but I sincerely doubt it since that amount of data stream is way over the download limit of my phone's internet service. Maybe on wireless, but who knows.

Edited by Mikutzu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.