The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let tanks be tanks

Glorthox

So tired of trying these hardmodes as a tank only to be killed with ease. When I first started tanking ( in tionese gear ) my first hardmode I never one time had a problem surviving against trash. Now being in near 156 rated gear I am still being 4 shotted by trash mobs. More and more tanks are quitting tanking and going dps or heals because of being too squishy and not tanky. Let tanks be tanks. Without a tank, most groups would die more easily, but these new hardmodes and with the tanks being like they are now, it just isn't fun.

You doing something wrong m8 I have a juger in 69 gear and I can take even 10 mobs in lvl 55 HM no problem. I can solo every heroic including lvl 55 with my healer companion taking 5+ mod at a time np. You need to learn to play your class. Tanking in this game its challenging not like adder MMO but once you learned to use all your skills. You will own.

BTW all lvl 50 HM up to LI you can solo on tank easy too.

Tank its uber.

Na i'll have to side with OP. my Tank is wearing mostly Black Market gear, and climbing, Topping at 35k hp. I can tank the old ops on HM no problem whatsoever, but these new 55hm's do seem to have the damage a little high, and again i agree, its not bosses that do the damage, its the trash (Thats not to say the bosses aren't tough, because they are. hey can still happily wipe your group).

I'd rather die to a boss who wipes the group and is a genuine challenge, then die to 5-6 little trash dudes who decide biting my legs off is an option.

Lol, yeah those droids are a massive pain in the butt.

But its not just those guys, even some of the pull on Hammer station, and Madalorian raiders to, are just slightly op. Like the turrets on MR HM.

Its kind of like Droid back on Lost island HM. He was harder then Karagga on HM. Its insane. If you're going to make something that hard to clear, atleast improve the rewards so its worth it. Dying to trash mobs over and over again for some blue/orange gear doesnt excite me all to much >.<

I sympathize with all comments in this thread. Yes, the new flashpoints are tougher. Yes, tanks are generally much squishier. Yes, trash mobs are pretty ridiculous. Yes, there does need to be personal expertise in tanking. I get all of that. I've seen it. I've lived it. And I'm okay with the extra challenges. What I don't like are the following:

- severe loss of Defense stats in the new tanking armor

- the addition of Alacrity stats in the new tanking armor

Yes, that's right, Alacrity. ALACRITY. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of explanation as to why a tank would need that. I frankly don't see any benefit of having a 2.9 second Telekinetic Throw as opposed to a 3.0 second Telekinetic Throw.

What's up with that?

I have to say I do like the new harder lvl55 challenges, everything was far too easy for far too long imo.

Like everything, your gear, your skill and the gear/skill of your group has to also play a part in success or failure.

You can wip with one group and pass with flying colours in another group.

It's funny they have added alacrity, I remember when I was starting off as a tank with poor gear, i used to use an alacrity relic, it also helps the healers to heal you faster or to recover faster from low health which ever way you like to look at it.

So it'll be interesting to see what's what with this new gear, but like all tanking gear, we'll have to swap out and add here and there to get the balance right.

I have to respectfully disagree with you OP. I was able to tank all of the HM flashpoints in 1.7 BiS gear. Since I have bumped up to black market/Arkansan gear it has only gotten easier. Some packs are tough (the droids in Athis before the first boss... All of the trash in S&V before the Oasis event...) just be sure to ration CDs, CC and let your dps tank the standard adds if you can't handle the additional damage. It is nice to have a challenge as a healer so PLEASE do not nerf NPC damage.

I have to say I do like the new harder lvl55 challenges, everything was far too easy for far too long imo.

Like everything, your gear, your skill and the gear/skill of your group has to also play a part in success or failure.

You can wip with one group and pass with flying colours in another group.

It's funny they have added alacrity, I remember when I was starting off as a tank with poor gear, i used to use an alacrity relic, it also helps the healers to heal you faster or to recover faster from low health which ever way you like to look at it.

So it'll be interesting to see what's what with this new gear, but like all tanking gear, we'll have to swap out and add here and there to get the balance right.

Tanks don't want accuracy or Alacrity as it currently stands. Sins use bastion / bulward enhancements and B mods. (high endurance)

The level 50 hard modes were challenging in blues back in the day too. Once they started giving everyone a free Tionese set, we out-geared the instance the moment we entered. But you're still rocking Black Hole gear, then you're undergeared. The hard modes are meant to be challenging in the gear we're starting them in. That's okay. Right now there are only 4 level 55 flashpoints, and I, for one, want them to last a while.

Yes, there are some tough pulls and bosses. If a group is struggling, I would ask three questions: Is the tank using cooldowns on big packs? Is the group using CC? Is the dps burning down normals and strongs first?

If the answer is yes to those question, then they really shouldn't be having much trouble.

Speaking as a healer, I struggled a bit on my first run through the HMs, but now that I'm familiar with the mechanics and geared in 66-69 mods, I'm not having significant issues with the difficulty.

Edited by Galandro

Then don't run them. Only run them once for the daily and move on, they're really not worth it.

BW sees the metrics and will act accordingly if need be. But on my heals and dps I only run them once, and I to some extent agree, some of these tanks fold like paper - must be all that alacrity that makes your attacks "super cool" :rolleyes:

I actually like the increase in difficulty, it is back to the old HM 50s when people were running them to get Tionese gear. The one oddity now is the healers are pulling a lot more aggro although this can be nullified if the DPS take out their targets correctly and not all attack the tanks target.

Once you start getting Black Market gear (3 - 4 pieces) or above the 55s will appear easy. Yes the Tanks can still die to trash mobs if people are not on their toes.

Speaking from a healers perspective, some tanks like to rush into the next set of trash and assume the healers going to be running in their to save them, maybe a little more patience and strategy is needed and you will see these 55s for what they are. Slightly more difficult, yes, a well co-ordinated team (i.e. those who mark CCs etc) will find them easy. We as a guild are now at the point where we can basically rush the 55s like they were 50s and that is with only half black market pieces for most of us.

A little patience gets you the prize,,,