Scamper broke Huttball

Captainejo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bigger than 20 man guild.. and we will all go back to our former games. Actually we would welcome a noob cry baby guild such as yours to leave and go back to a game like wow. Got enough cry babies running around here without you guys making the game less fun to play.

This game almost died once. Now it will die for sure when they don't nerf it.

Make a voting. Everyone cept ops will vote for nerf.

Edited by Galipolie

There are already non ops/smugglers in this very thread saying they feel its fine, making sweeping statements like that doesn't help your case any.

As of now, I don't believe we've seen any relevant footage showing that scamper is as broken as it is being claimed, the only video I've seen in the thread was already pretty much discredited.

Edited by Elegances

LOL

Sorry I couldn't get the text any larger.

Edited by Jayshames

Seriously, nothing is more OP than Jedi Knights Force Leaping to and fro from friendly to enemy to the goal line, expending no energy and having heavy armor.

You're really going to question the ability of an ability used by a medium armor smuggler?

This.

My two mains are a scoundrel and a Guard. If I knew ahead of time I was going into a HB match, I'd always take the Guard, leave taking gear and shield on and spec Vig. The Scoundrel might get the first goal. But the Guard will get the other five.

Wait, you CLICK on people to target them? I'm no pro PvPer but I assumed everyone uses tab targeting (closest/next enemy player) because it's more reliable than clicking. My nice way of saying L2P.

i use both ways depending on the situation. anyway it doesnt matter in the situation i described how you target him, because you cant see where he is going (he is just lagging around). this goes for inqui/sage speed aswell.

Edited by Neglience

I used to not think scamper was OP until the huttball match I was just in. Scoundrel caught the ball on the top rafter (overlooking mid) and scampered all the way to the endzone. Sure, he might have used up all his energy, but not even the tanksins could get that far with nothing able to slow their progress.

just to clarify - I have no problem with the scamper ability in general, only for its use in huttball. Yes, the energy cost offsets the ability in standard pvp conditions, but when it doesn't matter if you die after scoring, then there is no point in conserving said energy. The ability scamper should either be disabled while carrying the ball, make the ball drop, or cost double energy while carrying. One or two scampers would be fine. I'd put that at around the same advantage of a sorc using force speed. it's the continual use of 4 (or 6, if energy is replinished) that makes this neigh impossible to counter.

just to clarify - I have no problem with the scamper ability in general, only for its use in huttball. Yes, the energy cost offsets the ability in standard pvp conditions, but when it doesn't matter if you die after scoring, then there is no point in conserving said energy. The ability scamper should either be disabled while carrying the ball, make the ball drop, or cost double energy while carrying. One or two scampers would be fine. I'd put that at around the same advantage of a sorc using force speed. it's the continual use of 4 (or 6, if energy is replinished) that makes this neigh impossible to counter.

After spamming 4-6 scampers the scoundrel will be on 0 energy. It will take almost 30 seconds to get back to full energy. So, continual spam of 4-6 scampers is impossible. However, it is possible to spam 1-2 scampers, wait that the energy reloads and spam 1-2 more after that.

wow! so I just started playing with my scrapper to kill time while leveling his cybertech. scamper is unreal. I take back my nonchalance. and I have to thoroughly disagree with the ops/scoundrels who argue that it costs an exorbitant amount of energy. it does not...not at all. you can spam it twice. hit sneak . run for about 2 seconds. scamper two more times, and you're still at about 70% energy. the abil is a joke. it is op. the energy cost is negligeble. there needs to be something besides energy cost to restrict its use. instead of hitting sneak, I can pop the accelerated energy regen abil and get back to 70% over the course of FOUR scampers. either up the cost so that it eats up the entire energy pool in 3 rolls or (better) just put a cd on it (say 10 or 15s).

in fairness, I think 2 scampers in a row is fine. but I'm capable of much more than that, and the ppl who say that saps all of their energy are flat out lying.

Scamper is generally in a good place i think. So far, i observe that scamper is OP in 2 situations. i will use force speed as a comparison.

1. Huttball opening: where an operative/scoundrel can get the ball first, unless, there is another op/scoundrel on the other team. I consider this OP because there is no other class that can counter this except for itself. Even inquisitors/consulars force speed can be easily countered with roots and ccs by many other classes.

2. Civil war opening: an operative/scoundrel can effectively cap the nearer side node with no method of stopping it with any other classes. inquisitors/consulars with force speed can easily be interrupted with any fast moving melee and all ranged classes.

In my opinion, any ability that enable you to do things that cannot be countered is OP.

Scamper is generally in a good place i think. So far, i observe that scamper is OP in 2 situations. i will use force speed as a comparison.

1. Huttball opening: where an operative/scoundrel can get the ball first, unless, there is another op/scoundrel on the other team. I consider this OP because there is no other class that can counter this except for itself. Even inquisitors/consulars force speed can be easily countered with roots and ccs by many other classes.

2. Civil war opening: an operative/scoundrel can effectively cap the nearer side node with no method of stopping it with any other classes. inquisitors/consulars with force speed can easily be interrupted with any fast moving melee and all ranged classes.

In my opinion, any ability that enable you to do things that cannot be countered is OP.

QFE. In combat, scamper is fine. The problem lies in situations where one does not need the use of energy after using this utility.

Own mid. Push for the score. Quit chasing guys back to your end zone like a scrub.

That's right, because I'm sure you own mid 100% of the time.

The problem is the rotation I'm seeing is this:

Player grabs huttball

Player immediately throws huttball to overlooking balcony.

Scoundrel unstealths and catches ball

Scoundrel unstealths and uses camper repeatedly (around 4 times) until in endzone.

Rinse, repeat.

I have no objection to setting up pass chains for victory, but when it can be done with just two people, we have a problem

Scamper is only powerful in various opening scenarios because you can't counter an opening move by 'control middle', because you're not there yet! Of course since having a strong opening can often decide the outcome of the game, it's still plenty overpowered. It's only kept in check because a lot of people don't understand how powerful getting the upper hand on opening is in WZs. For example today I saw an Op rolling on our opening move in Huttball, so I was looking at the fire pit and figure out which route to run to catch the ball to support him. And then he just stopped rolling and went into stealth, because apparently grabbing the ball first in Huttball isn't really that important to that guy. So the enemy guys without Scamper still grabbed the ball first because our Op decided it wasn't worth the energy, and then that guy scored like 20 seconds later because they had a well-oiled machine. Would an Op rolling to the ball first guaranteed victory? No, but it'd surely be better than just giving the ball to the enemy first and then try to get it back..