Mace Windu vs Sidious

Zukoprince

It didn't look like he lost on purpose to me. Sure he feigned weakness when Anakin was around, but it looked like he was trying his best to beat Windu.

I think the scene could have done more to make the fight more convincing...Well, not so much the fight, but some of the things surrounding it. Like his confidence in mentioning his unlimited power, as if to say.. "Hey, I was holding back, here is what I can REALLY do".

We know Mace could not defend himself, but the scene could have been done a little differently, maybe this debate never comes up.

I only changed my opinion based on you and others citing the books, I can't argue with fact, but I can argue with the scene doing more to make sure everyone knows, Mace was a really great Jedi and can beat a super powerful Darth.

Edited by Themanthatisi

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the confusion exists as an example of how bad of a director George Lucas is and why there are different opinions. Not knowing what the "book" says, it is possible to depict that scene in the movie both ways. I looked at it as Sidious holding back, not using his force powers to their fullest potential, why at the end, he yelled, with confidence. "POWER, UNLIMITED POWER"

Now, if Lucas clearly stated Sidious was all out to defeat Windu, than that scene should have been so convincing Mace won and left no debate about it. The way the scene ended, than the 1 minute it took him to make Aniken a Dark Lord, it is very easy to assume Mace won because it was intended by Sidious he would win, so Aniken would take the last step to turning to the Dark Side.

This is why I will never take the way something "looked" in a movie as an indicator as to "facts" behind canon. There could've been issues with the actors, the director, time constraints, or even things happening that are invisible to the naked eye (such as Mace channeling the Force back around at Sidious), etc. going on that you really can't tell unless you hear/read a commentary by the creator or a book that expands upon what the movie depicted.

People give too much credit and "godly" powers to the Emperor. I remember him using death stars like it was going out of style. It was to the point that he seemed like a one-trick pony. Even my friend was saying, I hope there's no death star in RoTJ.

Also if he is all knowing that he could plan out a whole fight with one of the best jedi masters of his time. A jedi who had mastered all 7 forms and made up his own. The only jedi that Lucas allowed to be so strong and important to give him his own unique lightsaber and be 2nd in command of the Jedi Council. And if he was planning out this whole fight why would he allow his face be burn and disfigured only to turn Anakin? Just doesn't make sense.

The emperor is not all knowing and has this incredible ability to see the future. If he did then Darth Vader's would not be able to kill his so easily by picking him up and throwing him to his death. Someone so powerful died like a wimp.

Is the emperor one of the best masterminds..yes. Is he the best lightsaber duelist or force user ever... NO.

It looks like Mace Windu is bringing the fight to Sidious to me .

I think Sidious lost hope till Anakin walked in and would have likely died , but I would like to thank CloneWars for showing how awesome of a skilled lightsaber Duelest Sidious really was .

Probably my favorite lightsaber fight now.

I do also think personally Sidious had it somewhat planned out and it was a 50/50 chance it would work out or not . By the music being played during the scene as Anakin is deciding the road he was going to go down you can tell .

I would like to say EP3 was probably one of the best StarWars movies also , but it did have that kinda goofiness that EP1 and 2 had .

Example

"Kenobi having his legs to appear to be crushed in the beginning then later not even a complaint about it !"

It looks like Mace Windu is bringing the fight to Sidious to me .

I think Sidious lost hope till Anakin walked in and would have likely died , but I would like to thank CloneWars for showing how awesome of a skilled lightsaber Duelest Sidious really was .

Probably my favorite lightsaber fight now.

you mean the fight against maul and savage right