Twin Saber Throw

TheTbone

I'm interested on thoughts on this new ability.

My initial impression was that it looked really cool and seemed really useful. However, the more I use it, the more I feel it is underpowered.

In PvE it is nice to have a decent cone attack, but the damage is pretty minimal. It's a very small dent compared to the other classes' AoE, and almost seems like time better spent doing what we do best (as Watchman/Combat anyway) and single target, especially when mobs are CC'd. I suppose Focus might get more out of it, since they focus more on AoE, but I assume they'd have more powerful AoE abilities to use. The movement debuff is pretty useless in PvE.

In PvP the damage, again, is negligible. I use it more for the 50% movement debuff, but it doesn't last very long, and I feel like my Force Leap is always about to come off cooldown anyway. Maybe it's spec-specific since Watchman can leap from short distances as well.

Compared to every other class's new ability, it just seems very tame - ESPECIALLY in PvP. Force Barrier is super useful in PvP and PvE. Smuggler's stupid rolly polly is way OP in PvP right now and I imagine is very useful for quick dodges in PvE. The guardian in my guild can't help but declare his Saber Reflect out loud every time he uses it because he's so excited. Electro Net is a real pain in PvP, though I imagine pretty useless in PvE unless there's another benefit I'm not aware of. Teleporation?? Whaaa!

I think our new ability could certainly be worse, but I think it could also be improved to be in line with the other abilities. I think in PvP it should be a root that isn't broken with damage instead of a movement debuff. For PvE maybe put a small DoT on top of the initial damage? Not sure.

What do you guys think? Do you love it? Is it perfect for your Combat or Focus Sentinel? I loved the animation and the feeling of hitting multiple targets with a saber throw. I'm just getting more meh about it as I find less practical uses for it and see it compared to some of the uber abilities of the other classes.

I love the attack, it's great for hitting multiple targets and it actually averages higher single target damage than slash in watchman spec. This has a pretty significant impact on single target dps, especially now thatfocus management is so much tighter with merciless slash on a 5 second cool down. the ability to use a free attack that does 30% more damage than slash every 18 seconds is pretty nice.

It also manages decent damage to (I believe) an unlimited number of targets which can be pretty amazing in the right circumstances. So while it's hardly earth shattering, it's better than having to just spam cyclone slash until force sweep is off cooldown.

Oh, and it is by far the best looking new ability that has been added.

I love it as well for my anni(watchman) marauder. It's nice to be able to have an additional multiple target attack, that doesn't cost anything. The only thing you have to watchout for is placement, so you don't throw it into another group that is close by. :D

It works great in Carnage/Combat because of the tighter resource management. The best uses I've found so far are when Gore comes off CD or has the CD reset and you're resource starved, and also as a free attack when you're low on resources and Battering Assault has around 1 GCD left before it's available.

In my opinion it is the best new ability in the game. Mara/Sents were the only class that couldn't hit a target in cover from 30 meters. I can not tell you how many times I've seen a door in Voidstar capped as I ran to it because an operative/sniper was capping it in cover. I would have been happy with a single target saber throw. The aoe and slow on it is a bit over the top. Plus the damage is decent, I usually get about 2-3k hits from it. I'm sitting at 27k in pvp gear and think that I'll closer to 30k with augs, so an attack that is free (or a rage/focus builder in smash spec) and hits multiple people for ~10% of their health is non-negligent.

I haven't done any PVE since the patch, but there are times I could see it being useful. Kephess when the adds spawn, or the adds on Cornel Vorgath (spelling?) that I couldn't attack without dieing, now I can contribute! Go me! Or rather go us!

Plus for watchman, you can pop overloaded sabers and then throw and everyone gets the burns on them. Great for dealing with mobs. Let them burn.

Does it actually apply burns to everyone? I thought it only applied it to the first target it hit.

In my opinion it is the best new ability in the game. Mara/Sents were the only class that couldn't hit a target in cover from 30 meters. I can not tell you how many times I've seen a door in Voidstar capped as I ran to it because an operative/sniper was capping it in cover. I would have been happy with a single target saber throw. The aoe and slow on it is a bit over the top. Plus the damage is decent, I usually get about 2-3k hits from it. I'm sitting at 27k in pvp gear and think that I'll closer to 30k with augs, so an attack that is free (or a rage/focus builder in smash spec) and hits multiple people for ~10% of their health is non-negligent.

I haven't done any PVE since the patch, but there are times I could see it being useful. Kephess when the adds spawn, or the adds on Cornel Vorgath (spelling?) that I couldn't attack without dieing, now I can contribute! Go me! Or rather go us!

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. That's true. It does help interrupt people in cover. And in PvE it is useful when there isn't anything else to contribute when AoEing down adds (most of the time I find it more useful to keep single target going on the boss when adds spawn and let that AoE classes deal with them).

I haven't noticed it applying an AoE burn. I'll have to test that. So it sounds like ranged AoE damage outweighs the less than powerful movement debuff from what I'm hearing. That's a fair point.

I'm interested on thoughts on this new ability.

My initial impression was that it looked really cool and seemed really useful. However, the more I use it, the more I feel it is underpowered.

In PvE it is nice to have a decent cone attack, but the damage is pretty minimal. It's a very small dent compared to the other classes' AoE, and almost seems like time better spent doing what we do best (as Watchman/Combat anyway) and single target, especially when mobs are CC'd. I suppose Focus might get more out of it, since they focus more on AoE, but I assume they'd have more powerful AoE abilities to use. The movement debuff is pretty useless in PvE.

In PvP the damage, again, is negligible. I use it more for the 50% movement debuff, but it doesn't last very long, and I feel like my Force Leap is always about to come off cooldown anyway. Maybe it's spec-specific since Watchman can leap from short distances as well.

Compared to every other class's new ability, it just seems very tame - ESPECIALLY in PvP. Force Barrier is super useful in PvP and PvE. Smuggler's stupid rolly polly is way OP in PvP right now and I imagine is very useful for quick dodges in PvE. The guardian in my guild can't help but declare his Saber Reflect out loud every time he uses it because he's so excited. Electro Net is a real pain in PvP, though I imagine pretty useless in PvE unless there's another benefit I'm not aware of. Teleporation?? Whaaa!

I think our new ability could certainly be worse, but I think it could also be improved to be in line with the other abilities. I think in PvP it should be a root that isn't broken with damage instead of a movement debuff. For PvE maybe put a small DoT on top of the initial damage? Not sure.

What do you guys think? Do you love it? Is it perfect for your Combat or Focus Sentinel? I loved the animation and the feeling of hitting multiple targets with a saber throw. I'm just getting more meh about it as I find less practical uses for it and see it compared to some of the uber abilities of the other classes.

Well, my Guardian is only level 24, I got a level 53 sith marauder (Frankly the same as jedi sentinal, but evil and I figured I'd come to Knight formuns just to see whats up.... And I totally agree! The dual saber throw is a bit under dameaged... scoundrels come up to me with shotgun and take 50% of health, and Marauders ain't got a retaliation to do the same..... this should be fixed, and to fix it, dual saber throw should take off 50% of enemy health. How bout that?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.