any good republic stories?

skullkandy

Well I did consular story and thought it was just awful. The JK story started a bit meh but it does get better in act 2 (where i am now) if you go darkside with it :). Very 'fallen jedi' I like that. The trooper story hasn't blown me away but im kinda enjoying the chase, nothing otu the box but think i'll like. Not got off Mantell with my smuggler yet. Tbh the rep stories are all a bit generic, obviously Lucasarts had more control over them to ensure the light side were portrayed a certain way. With the empire they musta told Bioware to go nuts :)

• 2 months later...
I really liked the trooper story, but as others said, it was only good being darkside. I also really liked the team dynamics every once in a while. I liked the few missions where they forced you to take a different companion because that companion had to perform a specialized skill (can only run with one because he is the demolitions expert in the squad, and that is what you need, can only run with another because he is the tech expert, and that is what the mission needs). It might not be for everyone, but I like that kind of thing.

It's totally subjective really. Personally I found a very LS smuggler a blast to play- a galaxy where everyone assumes that because you're not enlisted you're a crook who'll fall for every bribe, sting everyone... and you stride through it, as a free-as-the-birds adventurer who just always wants to see more of the galaxy and have fun, but at the same time feels this deep moral urge to put things right - no force powers, no massive OverCompensator Assault Cannon... but she'll take one look at a hugely intimidating Sith Lord in the process of hurting the innocent and just 'No way, not on my watch' and take them down- not for Destiny, not for her orders, but just for the people being hurt. One of my favourite moments was when a republic officer currently employing me tried to chew me out for discarding the 'very important' military target he'd sent me after, in order to save some civilian techies. The smuggler got just plain and without any hint of subordination shout him down, culminating in "I'm right and you KNOW it!"

Obviously, that's totally playing against what the smuggler' s 'meant' to be, and you miss out on some of the snark. If I played another smuggler, I'd naturally go darker, to experience it differently. The point is, how you play the story to your own personal taste is a lot of what makes it. Yeah, where the story goes is largely self contained and pre-determined... how it affects your character isn't.

We all know Jedi consular' s supposed to not work well full ds- logistically, anyway- but you still get the choice of 'mother Teresa or snarky supergenius' . Even a light side consular can give off the vibe of 'I'm the smartest person in the room and I know it; you're going to know it too... Oh, and the sound your brain makes when attempting to reason is tiresome, please both hurry up and shut up'. Light side when it comes down to it but quite happy to be rude and intimidating if it'll make the stupid people jump through the right hoops faster seems to fit the female consular' s voice acting best, imo.

Conversely I love a blood-drunk and high-on-sadism inquisitor just out to hurt the galaxy *back* for what she feels it did to her- the whole slavery thing plus the

betrayal by the mentor and saviour she was desperately crushing on and went dark originally to impress.

broken, unfulfilled, and only finding pleasure in hurting people apart from desperate, basically selfish attempts to give herself morality pets to be nice to,

Ashara and Talos

- but many others would find the most fun from an inquisitor to be light side and play against type.

It's all different from one person to another... so try it and see is the only real advice that works.

Story tier list.

God tier (If every story was as developed as this one we'd have one hell of a game for newcomers.)

Agent

Perfect Tier (Hits every note it needs to, doesn't feel rushed, is good throughout all chapters.)

Warrior

Jedi Knight

Inquisitor

"Subjectively good" tier (These have really strong first acts, but go in a weird direction after the act 1 finale.)

Smuggler

Trooper

"Bad Tier" (Look, I love bounty hunters, But this story is so scrambled and messy it's just not worth noting. It has 'moments' that are great, but that doesn't change anything.)

Bounty Hunter

"....No." (Self Explanatory.)

Consular

Edited by Sideblaze

"....No." (Self Explanatory.)Consular

I kinda liked it. Don't expect anything powerawesome as certain other storylines, but if you appreciate the selfless diplomatic approach with a twist of lightsaber, you will have a good time with the consular story. And you *will* want some of the new allies as companions instead of that twi'lek...