War Hero and Elite War Hero losing Expertise with patch

Recon-Roth

They are removing the expertise from War Hero and Elite War Hero armor with new patch. This is B.S. This game is a waste of time. You gear a character with hours and hours of war zones to get gear and they take out the expertise? So, were forced to grind all new gear again. I wonder what Bioware Tard made this decision. I HOPE YOUR FIRED!

Oh boy my pvp toons will be the same as the NOOBS that started last week.

P' Off subscriber...

They are removing the expertise from War Hero and Elite War Hero armor with new patch. This is B.S. This game is a waste of time. You gear a character with hours and hours of war zones to get gear and they take out the expertise? So, were forced to grind all new gear again. I wonder what Bioware Tard made this decision. I HOPE YOUR FIRED!

P' Off subscriber...

If it's such a waste of time, don't play?

Usually when games switch PvP seasons or release expansions with a new level cap, old gear becomes outdated. This isn't to say people aren't rightfully upset, but it's just sort of the way things are. WH/EWH will still be better than PvE gear at endgame PvP after the patch (or so I hear) because bolster will give you the expertise you need. You can use that to start your grind in getting the new sets of PvP gear. Just max out your comms pre-55 and enjoy getting several pieces when you max level. :)

You know this happens every time the level cap is increased or a new tier of gear comes out in MMOs, right? WH is losing its expertise, but its getting a boost in its other stats so it will actually be useful in pre-55 PvP (instead of a hindrance as it stands right now). Did you expect your gear to be top of the line forever?

Ugh you didn't read the actual dev comment did you?

Bolster looks at 1) item rating 2) expertise yes/no

As such 63 rating EWH looks the same as partisan gear to bolster (despite having half the mainstat and endurance of partisan) so expertise EWH is getting underbolstered compared to pve gear of the same rating

By removing expertise and buffing mainstat & end EWH will be properly buffed

Think of it this way - your set ofEWH just became a set of dread guard

P' Off subscriber...

Where are the notes confirming this change?

Hey everyone,

Our combat and PvP teams have been hard at work addressing the issues of naked Bolster and the itemization issues attached to it (like War Hero gear). Here is some very detailed information on everything we are going to be doing to address these concerns right from Alex Modny. If you want the basic info here is a quick synopsis, read on for the full debrief:

TLDR: Going into a Warzone completely naked will now be worse than wearing gear. War Hero and Elite War Hero gear is viable again.

Our current plan is that you will see all of these changes after our scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, April 16th. Note that these changes are NOT to address the time to kill issues. We are still actively investigating that and will get back to you as soon as we have more information.

-eric

-----

Naked Bolster

The main change being made to Bolster is how it treats item slots with no items in them aka the naked bolster. If there is a slot without an item in it, that slot will only be bolstered a portion of what placing an appropriate item in the slot would. This will remove the naked bolster situation. Being Naked in a PvP area will now be much worse the further you go up the PvP progression.

In addition to these changes we fixed many underlying bugs in the Bolster system and tweaked some numbers to make Bolster give a little less stats than it does currently. We also corrected an issue where relic slots were being treated in our system as expected to give out more Main Stats than they were. This caused relic slots to be overly valued in adding to your DPS stats when mostly they add Endurance and a Proc. All of these changes should pretty much squash out Naked Bolster as being undeniably better than any set of gear. There might be cases where Naked is ever so slightly worse but that is usually a case of the equipped gear being not so great for PvP. If you see players in PvP playing Naked from now on you should expect them to be underperforming stat wise and over performing cojones wise.

Elite War Hero

War Hero and Elite War Hero (referred to as WH and EWH from here on out) gear is now better! It is no longer worse than Naked Bolster. The reasons why WH/EWH had less stats and were worse than old Bolster is because it is ‘old’ gear and this ‘old’ gear used a different stat budget where it got its stats from. This ‘old’ stat budget (which isn’t used in 2.0) accounts for Expertise into the budget (Partisan and Conqueror do not) meaning they were lower in Main, Secondary and Tertiary stats to account for the Expertise the items had. This will be removed and the stat budget the Expertise was taking be refactored into the Main, Secondary and Tertiary stats. The net result is WH/EWH will have no Expertise and increased stats, but Partisan will still be better than it. The ranking you will see in effectiveness is WH < EWH < Partisan < Conqueror.

However, we have an issue with this conversion, the Expertise crystal in the WH/EWH weapons. Because this crystal is used in Partisan and Conquer and the system is unable to edit based on condition which item the crystal in the WH and EWH weapons still have Expertise. It is recommended that you replace this Expertise crystal with PvE crystals. We apologize that we weren’t able to fully take all the Expertise off the WH/EWH and that some players will lose customization, which is very important to us and to you.

Older PvP Gear (Battlemaster, Champion, Centurion, Recruit, and Recruit Mk2) did not receive this free upgrade conversion. At this point in the SW:TOR item progression, these items are simply out of date with the current power level and are not recommended for use.

There is a very important note in regards to how the bolster system handles mixing expertise and non-expertise mods on a single item: The short answer is, you shouldn’t do it. The longer answer is, players are much better off than when they decide to make an item a PvP-focused item, they replace all of the mods inside it with expertise mods. The bolster system handles “PvP” items slightly differently than “PvE” items, and putting even a single expertise mod inside an item tells the bolster that the item is a “PvP” item. The result of this situation can be less than ideal for a player in either content channel, and certainly isn’t working as well as we intended. We continue to discuss fixes to this particular issue, but players can work around the problem by making sure they are either pure PvE items or pure PvP items. Note: This is only with mods on a per item basis, mixing different items on a full character is fine.

Gear vs. Skill

Pre-2.0 PvP was all about your items. Being ‘the best’ meant you had EWH with augments and no one could touch you. This situation was unfortunate because it made the PvP game too harsh on the ‘have nots’ and made the grind to EWH much more bitter because of getting your face pushed in the mud day after day. The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players. In 2.0 we don’t want to totally get rid of PvP gear progression, we still want a gear gap but we want to tone down how overpowered the top tier gear is versus the lower PvP gear so that the moment to moment gameplay is more enjoyable. We want everyone you group with to be contributors from a gear standpoint (them not responding to “inc grass 3” calls or not throwing you the Huttball when they are immobilized is something we can’t help :p). We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable. It is a balance act, sometimes it will slide too far on one side or the other and we will correct it but this methodology, the balance between skill vs. gear, will result in the most healthy PvP game and community possible for the long term.

From the lolbolster thread.

Edited by SystemProcess

My sorcerer is lvl 55 with one piece of the new stuff and the rest is EWH. I will lose all my expertise in the war hero with patch. Not good. I planned on getting the new gear but thought my war hero would hold out till I was able to grind the new stuff. Taking the expertise out is a bad move. Why don't they just get rid of the whole expertise system. Edited by Recon-Roth

My sorcerer is lvl 55 with one piece of the new stuff and the rest is EWH. I will lose all my expertise in the war hero with patch. Not good. I planned on getting the new gear but thought my war hero would hold out till I was able to grind the new stuff. Taking the expertise out is a bad move. Why don't they just get rid of the whole expertise system.

You get expertise with BOLSTER.

So basically from what I read.

PvP Gear = PvE Gear stat wise.

Have to PvP to unlock PvP gear.

Have to PvE to unlock PvE gear.

Expertise is something that will just be built into WZs.

Correct or not? I'm on a phone and can't read it very well haha.

My sorcerer is lvl 55 with one piece of the new stuff and the rest is EWH. I will lose all my expertise in the war hero with patch. Not good. I planned on getting the new gear but thought my war hero would hold out till I was able to grind the new stuff. Taking the expertise out is a bad move. Why don't they just get rid of the whole expertise system.

Think of it this way your EWH is now a set of dread guard

Ok lets see i got EWH gear right now that used to be alot better for PVP than the best PVE gear pre 2.0.

Now they remove expertise from EWH and buff stats a little. So now im going to PVP in gear that i had to grind alot to get but everyone who has PVE gear with stats that are higher than new EHW will be better off? So nice to know that the guy who never saw the inside of a warzone but did Denova or whatever a few times will now be better geared than all those players that play swtor pvp only. I guess they really want to take the fun out of the game for everyone but casual f2p pve players.

I am a loyal customer since the pre release of this game one year ago.

I just spent 10 k coms to get new pvp items for my main toon. I am now mostly geared in new pvp lvl 63 armorings, mods and sophistications with some old pvp lvl 61 remaining here and there (2 WH lvl 61 sophistications).

I hope this new patch won't mess up my gear because if it is the case I am definitely unsubing as soon as the fecal matter hits the rotary device.

Edited by SIDIOUSFAN

Why don't they just get rid of expertise. Its useless.

It's still going to matter at 55. If end game PvP gear didn't have expertise, then people could earn PvE gear through PvP faster than they would through PvE (due to weekly lockouts and such). And technically, those same people could just retard their way to a full set because they either don't like PvP or aren't good at it and don't want to try since you get comms either way. Personally I wouldn't want a bunch of people that didn't want to PvP to join my matches.

I really doubt they will up the stats of EWH that much but even if they do its still a downgrade as ewh used to be alot better than dread guard in warzones.

They specifically stated they would be giving EWH stats equivalent to same rating pve gear which would be DG

Your getting new PvP gear at 55 that IS better than pve gear in wz. EWH is no longer in game and the expertise removal is a stop-gap fix for its bad bolstering.

EWH is being phased out by far better partisan & conquer please stop crying over spilt milk

I applaud those of you who are trying to help people understand, but honestly just give it up. Apparently only 10% of the player base has ever heard of phasing out old gear. And the rest would rather just cry than learn. More free kills for me.

This.. is just WRONG. I, like others, have spent a LOT of time kitting out more than 1 toon with Elite War Hero Stuff.. so much so that don't really have the Comms I COULD of saved, had I known it was all a complete waste of my time - and money, and I could of saved the Comms to buy NEW gear that I already worked for.

As it is, just yesterday I spent over a million creadits moving things about on toons, chainging the look of my Elite WH stuff etc. Only to find today, it's ALL JUNK! Why not at least make it so the EWH stuff can be traded for Pristine, or used to reduce cost.

Got to be the crappiest move pulled so far.

I figure it's a complete waste of time working on more than 1 toon. Things change so damn often, I can't be bothered to do it for all my toons anymore. And sod going through al the WZ stuff again to get kitted out so in 3 months it can change again.

So, I also figure I don't need a sub anymore. 1-2 toons, and MAYBE bothering with a FP now and then I can buy a pass for with CC's and still save cash. *scratches head* But now I'm wondering.. why bother at all.

This.. is just WRONG. I, like others, have spent a LOT of time kitting out more than 1 toon with Elite War Hero Stuff.. so much so that don't really have the Comms I COULD of saved, had I known it was all a complete waste of my time - and money, and I could of saved the Comms to buy NEW gear that I already worked for.

As it is, just yesterday I spent over a million creadits moving things about on toons, chainging the look of my Elite WH stuff etc. Only to find today, it's ALL JUNK! Why not at least make it so the EWH stuff can be traded for Pristine, or used to reduce cost.

Got to be the crappiest move pulled so far.

I figure it's a complete waste of time working on more than 1 toon. Things change so damn often, I can't be bothered to do it for all my toons anymore. And sod going through al the WZ stuff again to get kitted out so in 3 months it can change again.

So, I also figure I don't need a sub anymore. 1-2 toons, and MAYBE bothering with a FP now and then I can buy a pass for with CC's and still save cash. *scratches head* But now I'm wondering.. why bother at all.

Why are you so damn upset with this? You didn't "lose" anything... You actually gained a VERY good PvE set, with the same buildout as your BIS PvP gear in the prior build.

EXP was the only reason to get PvP gear.

They have now build EXP into bolster, and it is your own fault for spending comms post the proposed 2.0 build. I spent comms on an alt, but guess what? I already was at the comm cap, so I could afford to spend them, just in case the bolster thing was screwed up. And while I try not to dismiss complaints, this one is lol....

You still have the same identical stats(or better) once you step into a WZ.

Now as for the new gear. You will have plenty of time to aquire the new PVP gear AND getting Partisan only takes a couple of days. On top of that it is clear that Bolster STILL needs to be worked on. By removing EXP from your gear, they might have done you a favor and enabled you to skip LvL 55 PvP gear entirely.... Take a pill man....

Players understand there's new gear and lvls. So, you don't have to remind people that mmo's change gear. NO SH*t we know that. What is making players angry is nerfing their current pvp gear. Its a mindless idiotic decision by Bioware. They can't fix their own bolster buff and all the noob players complain about getting owned in pvp. So, they nerf the pvp'ers. What do we expect. Bioware has been retarded about mmo pvp since this game came out. They could learn a few things about world pvp etc from SWG. I say just get rid of the expertise.

Bioware caters to the noob F2P instead of veteran players. Like most mmo's they won't realize their mistakes until the game fails.

Edited by Recon-Roth

Im not to happy either with the lose of expertise on EWH and WH equipment. I can see a nerf to the stats on regular war hero and leave elite war hero alone. At least I would feel all that work to get elite was not wasted my time with upgrading them last versions.

Ughhhhh i'm so upset! I'm so upset they buffed my pvp gear! I'm so upset i fail to read what the devs wrote! I'm so upset my ewh gear with new bolster is better than my ewh with old bolster pre-patch! I'm so upset. Ughhhhh. Rage quit!