Some incredibly rude players

Xeperi

Well OP, as has been pointed out social rules in this game make needing on gear not suited for your stat types a no go. However the first time anyone gives you grief for taking the time to double check before clicking tell them if they can't wait for you to check you'll just hit need all the time then, it's their choice.

As for the tanking, this is not WoW. You as tank should not have to hold agro on every thing. The tanks gets and holds the strongest mobs while the dps works from weakest up. It is the dps responsibility to pull adds and weak mobs off the healer. Especially the ranged dps who can see something other than the bosses crotch or the smoke and flames from the smugglers orbital strike.

lol ok that is what I thought. and I do kite elites and aggro strong's, and do my best to keep healers in my line of sight.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Healers should not be drawing aggro, dps should not be responsible for pulling anything off a healer other than a weak mob.

The situation is dynamic. Let's say the pull is 1 elite, 3 strongs, 4 weak. One option would be to cc the elite, but if you're confident in the group, you can AoE it all, or start on the weak mobs, move up to the strongs. Once the weak ones are dead, tank should have established enough threat on the strongs and elite that the healer isn't going to pull threat off of them. Usually dps is helping focus down the weak mobs WITH The tank before moving to the elite. The situation is always going to vary depending on the pull, though.

btw, we got about half way through before i was called a pos, and out of all of the mobs we faced ONE was cc'd.

This is a fail tank. Since when does the tank just worry about the hardest mob? I think you need to learn how to play a tank properly. This is actually the first time I have ever seen anyone say a tanks job is just to pick up the hardest mob lol....

Read all the posts here that say the tank picks up the elites an strongs and leaves the trash to the dps.

Read all the posts here that say the tank picks up the elites an strongs and leaves the trash to the dps.

Yeah... that is correct. for this MMO. Some DPS though (coming from other MMOs) are slow to step up to the slightly different mechanics of handling mobs in this game.

Yeah... that is correct. for this MMO. Some DPS though (coming from other MMOs) are slow to step up to the slightly different mechanics of handling mobs in this game.

I've actually done this on all MMOs in which I've DPSed?

Like, if there's something on the healer, well, I'd better peel it if the tanks not doing it, because even if I can't kill it, it's better I, a dps, ends up running around trying to survive and possibly dying with my rotations interrupted, than a healer.

I've pulled actual bosses off the healer by unloading all my DPS before and then run it over to the tank to help with his reacquiring, followed by dropping aggro.

. . .I just thought this is what good DPS did.

Was this normal mode or hard mode hammer station? If it was normal mode then I would be a little more understanding towards your plight. Around that level a "tank" has pitiful tanking abilities; you're basically DPS in heavy armor. There are tons of new people at that level too who do not understand the social norms of this game yet.

If however, this was hard mode Hammer Station and you are a level 55 Jugg needing on Aim gear, then I have no sympathy for you.

This was normal mode, and hammer station is usually a cake walk. Nothing was cc'd except when I blew up canisters next to mobs (juggs have no cc ability at lvl 17, the scream is weak), and weak trash ads were swarming the healer while dps was yelling at me to pick up every single thing that spawned.

I thought people agree that you only need if you need. If you need it for your comp or other chars then greed. Unless you ask and no one cares then need. It's rude to need everything.

Also since you were doing Hammer Staation, you should have the taunt ability. Use your taunt to get them off your healer. Use guard.

You do hammer at lvl 15, and you dont get taunt till later.

Alt: Tank everything like you're supposed to, and don't roll on gear you don't need?

I mean, they were in the wrong to call you names, but its been pointed out many times in this thread that you were in the wrong to roll on that gear and to let anyone get on your healer, DPS or not.

If everyone in a situation is wrong, you shouldn't just shrug off your own responsibility to improve onto someone else. No, they shouldn't have been mean to you, but neither should you be hitting need without reading which main stat a piece of gear has.

I've said a few times already that I need to pay close attention to "need" and only take what I really need. I was wrong in that. As far as tanking, I also I said I aggrod all the hard mob (not just the ONE hardest), nothing was cc'd, nothing. I have no taunt at level 17, and the only cc this toon has access to (freezing scream) doesn't work so well. I definitely need to improve but am by no means a horrible tank and definitely not a pos person. I run my level 27 sin through easy mode hs all the time just to help and pass on EVERYTHING. If I take things that I don't need and others do need, and they don't cus me out over it, I gladly trade, or if it is bound, I will even give them credits.

Called HM man. You DO have taunt, and who says he did it at 15? The que for it is 15-20 I think.

I did it at 15. You get taunt at 16. http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Juggernaut

two things to summarize everything-

1. I was wrong for selecting need on things I could equip but did not NEED (as per my specs) and will be way more careful about that in the future.

2. I will continue to aggro elites and the most powerful of the rest of the mob while letting dps take care of the rest. I will aggro all of it if possible.

Edited by Xeperi

No they were not rude, their actions were completely justified and you were wrong in every case.

Yes of course your supposed to maintain threat on everything .

No you should NEVER need on gear unless it is YOUR class YOUR spec and a direct upgrade.

You ARE a fail tank, you've made no attempt to research your roll

You ARE a bad player and person because you wasted those 3 people whom you grouped with's time AND stole potential upgrades for them.

I'm surprised they were so patient with you, in contrast they were very polite to you.

I am learning how incredibly important it is to be careful in taking loot. That is something I genuinely did not know (been playing abut a week). I really wish there was an option to auto-select need only for what is needed, in other words, if your the only class who is spec'd for that loot you et it, if there is more than one such class there is a roll. I am mainly from an mmo where people take everything for their alts and so on, and I need to adjust that here.

In general what I would do is go like "Nessus (or whatever name of the person), is there any particular reason you are needing on AIM gear even though you're a STR user?".

To outright blow up is kinda rude.

No they were not rude, their actions were completely justified and you were wrong in every case.

Yes of course your supposed to maintain threat on everything .

No you should NEVER need on gear unless it is YOUR class YOUR spec and a direct upgrade.

You ARE a fail tank, you've made no attempt to research your roll

You ARE a bad player and person because you wasted those 3 people whom you grouped with's time AND stole potential upgrades for them.

I'm surprised they were so patient with you, in contrast they were very polite to you.

Not taking the bait, troll.

In general what I would do is go like "Nessus (or whatever name of the person), is there any particular reason you are needing on AIM gear even though you're a STR user?".

To outright blow up is kinda rude.

I agree, and I would respond with, "I didn't look past HEAVY ARMOR", to which the player who had any desire to have fun and be productive would say, "Well you need to look past heavy armor and see if you need the rest of the stats on the item, if not select pass, otherwise you are going to upset a lot of people here".

I agree, and I would respond with, "I didn't look past HEAVY ARMOR", to which the player who had any desire to have fun and be productive would say, "Well you need to look past heavy armor and see if you need the rest of the stats on the item, if not select pass, otherwise you are going to upset a lot of people here".

I agree slightly, but... It just seems so common sense. I guess that most people just expect it by now, and they get frustrated and mean if it happens a lot. It's not always right, but it does happen.

I agree slightly, but... It just seems so common sense. I guess that most people just expect it by now, and they get frustrated and mean if it happens a lot. It's not always right, but it does happen.

I am not afraid to say I am a newb every single time I get into a fp or heroic.. I have no prowess here beyond an immense capacity to enjoy the game. I haven't played wow because too many people want me to play it. But I do play other mmos and have been since the 90's. I know that gives me absolutely NO juice here, that isn't why I said it. I said it because the main mmo I have been playing- When I spot a player who is obviously new and is looting wrong, I point out what they are doing and how to do it right. In fact, part of the remaining fun of that game for me is helping new players to the point of even creating new toons just to level with them and enjoy the game all over again by proxy. Like watching a really really good movie that you've seen a million times with someone who has never seen it.

Most of the people here are REALLY cool, but the case I am pointing out here is a pretty extreme example of hate- in my experience.

The funny thing is my sin gets absolutely no complaints about this stuff ever. The same Althiss that people will gripe about not aggroing everything, my sin two-manned it with a marauder tonight and it was actually easy. Ironically at the end, a nice piece of gear popped and both of us passed. I had to talk him into taking it and selling it at least because I took a piece of gear on that raid earlier and it only seemed fair.

NEVER need on an item that isn't for your current spec/class. I don't care if your companion or your guidy needs it. Take a moment to check that it is the correct stats.

Second a tank's job is more than just wack things and hope to get lucky. But you're right in one respect. DPSers should not be pulling unless you ask them to. If you do the pulling, you get the initial threat the healer only has to focus on you, and not on the DPS unless AoE is involved.

So you didn't do your job at the start (because yes, as a tank you're to make sure you have aggro on everything that isn't normal mobs) AND you need on gear with stats you don't even need.

But the others were the rude players, yes.

What we have here is the real definition of the word 'noob'. Something without knowledge who refuses to learn and blames others for it.

Dont need on stuff you dont need, but if you need it for your companion just say "hey guys Can I have this item for my companion please"? Just be nice, even if you are a Sith Rat Face Scum Sucker... Just be polite and don't succumb to their ignorality, put them on Ignore and move on with your swtor game

NEVER need on an item that isn't for your current spec/class. I don't care if your companion or your guidy needs it. Take a moment to check that it is the correct stats.

Second a tank's job is more than just wack things and hope to get lucky. But you're right in one respect. DPSers should not be pulling unless you ask them to. If you do the pulling, you get the initial threat the healer only has to focus on you, and not on the DPS unless AoE is involved.

I agree, The tanks real main concern is to keep everyone alve by keep aggro on him, You Lose aggro you put the entire TEAM at risk

Anyway, on the tanking side, you must consider that the FP was hammer station that is, what, in the 15-19 range? So it's understandable if a tank can't take much aggro... after all (I play assassin), the first tier in the defense tree doesn't contain any aggro-enhancing ability, so he has to rely only on the stance and (if it has been unlocked) the single target taunt...

For the need part... well yes, you did a mistake, but it happens :)

:rak_03:

Why is the tank issue even discussed at that level?

There are no area taunts, there are no special abilities to enhance mass threat at level 15

A tank at that level is simply a dps that attacks first and hopes the mobs stay on him but as we all know DPS and healers tend to attract mobs that are not taunted.

Don´t blame the player that choosed the tank role and actually got the FP started, if he/she did not you probably would have waited a long time.

Edited by Icestar

OP, I am in no position to comment on your tanking abilities, not being a tank myself. I will not presume to tell you how to run your own house as it were. However, you should have really taken a look at the stats (after all, how do you know it would not be a downgrade?)

I agree, they did get very rude and such hostility is not acceptable. However, surely you can see why they felt slighted? Personally, I would have asked you to trade it to the appropriate player before we continued. If you did, then all is forgiven and let's say no more about it. If you didn't, and showed no sign of doing so (wearing it so it's bound, or telling the group to lump it) I would have booted you quicker than a mangy cat!

I pesonaly hate people like you in low level fp and such if its not for your class DONT need,my main i a tank so no its not the dps job to aggro the adds its your job as a tank fair and simple,i saw a lot of people like you and most of them got kicked out of the fp(not by me)i dont like kicking players.So as a note(if you want you listen if not its your prob)need on other players stuff only if they say its ok and they dont need it and when you tank its your job to keep adds on you thats why you have to buld treat and that why you have mass taunt,dont do this and you risk being kicked

No hard felings i just tryed to help you:)