2.0 BiS Gearing and Crit

Wouldn't that still be the case using 71% surge? Or is that counterbalanced by the loss of 37 points of main stat?

Data mining shows the Kell Dragon gear at +96 mainstat per armoring, where you'd be losing 54 points of main stat keeping 2 DG armorings. There's going to be a break where the loss of main stat outweighs the value of the +15% GR. Has that already been reached with the 37 point loss on DG?

The less surge you have, the less the crit improvement is valuable.

In theory, with 100% critical multiplier (meaning a critical hit will do double damage), 1% damage improvement would be worth as much as 1% crit improvement, taken on their own:

1000 damage with a 1% damage bonus equals to 1010 damge

1000 damage with a 1% crit change equals (statistically speaking) to 1010 damage (say, 99 hits for 10 each plus one crit hit for 20).

We don't have this situation ofc, as point per point we get less crit% than damage bonus AND multiplier usually is less than 100% (though it is in this case with at least 70% base surge, which still is not that easy unless you're foregoing alacrity completely for surge).

In the end: more surge you have, more you can delay passing from 2x2 set bonuses to just the new 4 pieces.

As for the specifics, I think (though with no hard math at hand), that it will be a couple of tiers before those two armorings (assuming you have 63s at least) give you a stat hit big enough to outweigh the dmg boost from the higher crit, especially in high surge builds (and with the natural surge increase with new tiers of gear)

As a side note, I think that with double bonuses, it may actually be worth again taking the "on crit" alacrity boost from the combat medic tree in place of 2 points in the static boost, as the crit should be high enough to guarantee a close to 100% uptime.

Edited by GeckoOBac

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my dilema for Combat Medic. From what it sounds like is that you should stop stacking any crit after youve reached 25%. Now my question is that should I stop stacking crit when my crit rating reaches 25% from gear alone or should I stop taking crit when my crit rating hits 25% with talents, gear, and everything else included.

Im sure I should focus on power after crit is where I want it but how much surge and alacrity should I be running around with?

Heres my dilema for Combat Medic. From what it sounds like is that you should stop stacking any crit after youve reached 25%. Now my question is that should I stop stacking crit when my crit rating reaches 25% from gear alone or should I stop taking crit when my crit rating hits 25% with talents, gear, and everything else included.

Im sure I should focus on power after crit is where I want it but how much surge and alacrity should I be running around with?

I'm also wondering this. The thread for the most part is all about DPS, which is fine. But the combat medic doesn't need accuracy. Do we want alacrity? How much crit?

Assuming that 25% number has any basis in reality, it's 25% from all sources including talents, companion buff, smuggler buff, aim, and crit rating.

At most two mods or enhancements, and even then only until they can be replaced with power versions.

I was wondering something (it probably has been answered already somewhere but bear with me).

Given the fairly low amounts of crit that seem to be "best" for most dps specs (numbers I hear most are from 75 to 170ish crit rating), wouldn't the best (although admittedly quite annoying to accomplish) gearing strategy be having the crit all placed on "A" version mods (IE those with 70 something aim and 20 something crit) instead of the normal low aim high crit versions (along with avoiding crit altogether in crystals/enhancements/implants/earpieces)?

My reasoning (supported only by very "napkin-y" math) is this: given that to gain crit rating we have to sacrifice power, the high aim versions seem better than the high crit ones as you will lose some power in favor of crit but you will get more aim from those than from the normal version, high power ones, which will, point per point, be better for damage than power, lessening the loss and achieving the planned crit rating in 4-6 mods (while also gaining some collateral crit chance from the higher mainstat).

Say:

Nimble 31A:

84 Aim

57 End

32 Critical

Agile 31:

69 Aim

52 End

57 Power

So with just 4 mods you get 128 crit rating and you gain 15 aim over a normal version mod.

Now, to get the same amount of crit with the high crit ones, you'd need only 2 mods (albeit with a lower crit of 114).

Using the "high crit" strategy means gaining 114 power over the "high aim" version, however you do get 60 less aim, which is far less than power. So in the end probably not a good idea... Still if somebody could see if I'm making any sense...

Total comparison here:

4 mods setup, 2 cases:

Case 1: High aim mods to fulfill a rough critical rating of 120ish

84*4 Aim= 336

32*4 Crit = 128

Case 2: High crit mods to fulfill a rough critical rating of 120ish plus high power mods up to full case 1 slots

69*4 Aim = 276

57*2 Crit = 114

57*2 Pow= 114

Difference:

Case 2 gets 60 less aim but 114 more power. Case 1 gets slightly more crit but the values are close enough to be barely any different. Aim is indeed worth more than power but not twice as much so this case does not seem to favor the use of A version mods.

However, if the critical rating desired is closer to 75, the best route is likely going to be one A version mod plus one normal mod, giving us a total of 57+32= 89 crit, while gaining some aim over a double high crit version, which will make us overcap.

If what I wrote in the spoiler tags makes any sense, then the best gearing may involve a single A mod for critical where using a normal version in place would make us overshoot the desired value. This means though that an accurate evaluation of the desired crit rating for gunnery commandos is needed.

Hello fellow commandos,

What relics are you using for pvp?

I just got to lvl 55 and I'm still using my old BM relics because in the old patch I remodded my gear for full crit (I had around 45% crit chance, no kiddin! :p), those give 61 crit and 61 surge each relic. Now that we have to change to surge I dont know what relics to use because using Partisan relic will remove 120 surge (I have 416 ~71,65 crit mul)... and add 116 exp/18power but I'm still not convinced, any better idea?

Also the first warzone I played right after I got to 55 y made 750k of DPS using all of my old gear, full of crit chance as I said (now ~36% crit, ~71 crit mul, ~98% acc), the weird thing is thats the best number of DPS I have made with my commando so far xD.

So in the end probably not a good idea... Still if somebody could see if I'm making any sense...
Unfortunately not. 115 power for 60 aim is a bad choice. Rule of thump: aim to power is 1.1 to 1.

However, if the critical rating desired is closer to 75, the best route is likely going to be one A version mod plus one normal mod, giving us a total of 57+32= 89 crit, while gaining some aim over a double high crit version, which will make us overcap.

Might very well be the case. But the difference is so marginal you wouldnt notice it anyway.

Might very well be the case. But the difference is so marginal you wouldnt notice it anyway.

Indeed but tbh, most of the differences we're talking about when looking at BiS gearing are under the percentile point.

Still, an accurate evaluation of the desired crit rating for commandos wouldn't hurt.

Try Kerens spreadsheet. It doesn’t get more accurate.

I played around with your idea.

I used 1000sims / 300sec runs with BIS stats from here: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/a8db4657-8b92-46c4-8e26-7d493cb012f0

And 2/2 stacked set bonus, anything else Kerens default options

This is what I got:

2838 2832 2835 2837 2839 2838 dps

using 3 Nimble 31A mods for 96 crit

2842 2839 2842 2839 2844 2843 dps

using 1 Nimble31 and 1 Nimble 31A for 89 cit

2843 2841 2850 2846 2843 2844 dps

with 2 Nimble 31 mods for 114 crit

2847 2848 2849 2850 2852 2851 dps

with no crit, just power

You see how the rng affects even those simulations. Sure, you ll probably be able to eliminate it by running your computer into the ground but – as said – this has no basis in actual ops. That’s why I don’t like focusing on the math too much. It shows a picture that just isnt there. You could do much better or much worse in one operation based solely on the rng effects even if you would and could play the perfect game (which no one does and the bosses don’t allow anyway). So in my view it doesn’t get more accurate than “some points in crit wont hurt you more than you could benefit”. Using Nimble 31A might be BIS for you tonight since you’ll get good rng. Tomorrow things might look different. Its just that close.

I'm hilariously still in a 4 piece DG while being heavily geared in every other mod and slot (Dam you ops rolls)

But still, I'm planning on getting the 2x2 and staying with it.

I have significant favoritism for Assault spec and 2x2 allows some unreasonably sustained burst damage.

Grav Round more or less hits for what Charged Bolts does these days but it used to hit for about 1k more.

The reason for this is that Charged Bolts while not having 35-55% armour pen now has 30% more crit damage.

And Grav doesn't.

2x2 if I may remind is an extra 15% critrate on both.

So if you see where I'm going with this, in a hard burst phase the rotation such as it is is chucked out the window and you fire off back to back CB @ 55-60% critrate/200%+ crit damage with 26-30% critrate/200%+ drit damage HiBs as they proc, when you get low recharge cells and keep going.

Burst phase over, use hammer shots and FA for low ammo consumption and recovery.

I've said it elsewhere but Assault needs assistance for bursting like that, someone else bringing a armour debuff and some kind of constant burn debuff going to allow full ammo use on the heaviest hitters.

Edited by Gyronamics

Try Kerens spreadsheet. It doesn’t get more accurate.

I played around with your idea.

I used 1000sims / 300sec runs with BIS stats from here: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/a8db4657-8b92-46c4-8e26-7d493cb012f0

And 2/2 stacked set bonus, anything else Kerens default options

This is what I got:

2838 2832 2835 2837 2839 2838 dps

using 3 Nimble 31A mods for 96 crit

2842 2839 2842 2839 2844 2843 dps

using 1 Nimble31 and 1 Nimble 31A for 89 cit

2843 2841 2850 2846 2843 2844 dps

with 2 Nimble 31 mods for 114 crit

2847 2848 2849 2850 2852 2851 dps

with no crit, just power

You see how the rng affects even those simulations. Sure, you ll probably be able to eliminate it by running your computer into the ground but – as said – this has no basis in actual ops. That’s why I don’t like focusing on the math too much. It shows a picture that just isnt there. You could do much better or much worse in one operation based solely on the rng effects even if you would and could play the perfect game (which no one does and the bosses don’t allow anyway). So in my view it doesn’t get more accurate than “some points in crit wont hurt you more than you could benefit”. Using Nimble 31A might be BIS for you tonight since you’ll get good rng. Tomorrow things might look different. Its just that close.

Heh yeah, with those numbers getting just a second of lag spike means changing everything...

I guess I'll keep the weapon full crit based for around 160 crit, if nothing else because it makes itemization simpler (bloody enhancements...). Now, to get rid of crit from everything else...