Wishlist of the Roleplaying Community

Krimmzon

So, I've been reading, and pondering, and I thought I would put this up to consolidate, or at least attempt to, all the conversations about things we wish Bioware would give to the community of RPers. Anything from small suggestions to well-thought out ideas!

THE LIST ((Yeah, I'm just going to compile everyone's stuff into an easy to find list now.))

~Appearance Slots for Armor

~More Cosmetic Gear

~Dyes/Color changing to clothing and armor

~Roleplaying Chat channels

~More Hairstyles/Scars/Appearance Options

~Barber Shop type deal

~Optional Chat Bubbles

~Interaction with objects, such as chairs, bar stools, etc.

~Biography Tab

~Pop-up window explaining the purpose of an RP server, similar to the PvP one.

~"Decoration" slots on your starship

~Nemeses list: a buddy list for the people you love to hate

~Some sort of in-game functionality for locating/advertising RP events ((Definitely a calendar!))

~Some way of earning Social points for free-form RP

~Mini-games/cantina games; Pazaak, Sabbac, Swoop Racing, Arena Duels

~Custom guild ranks that can be used as titles.

~Same-faction guild-v-guild PvP

~RP flag

~ Environmental/Hazard Damage, i.e. being crushed by an elevator

Edited by Krimmzon

Thanks for taking the time to start a list. A couple of things I'd like to see added:

Optional chat bubbles is something that many, if not most, RPers want to see in game.

Interaction with chairs, couches, barstools, beds etc are also very much wanted.

How about a window pop up like PvP servers get explaining what an RP server is.

My server is filled with Non RPers, and its already getting on my nerves (Shien)

And general chat fills to the brim with idiots talking about how they dont have to RP.

How about naming policies?

How can they claim this game is about story when people with some of the most idiotic names can walk around unchecked?

I hate being a naysayers.. but this list is too long and misses some much more important things than what is posted here:

~Appearance Slots for Armor

This will never be implemented. As they already have the fully moddable gear endgame characters will already not all look alike. Much more than most other MMOs and a LOT more than the other AAA title they try to beat. So don't even try and get this one in, Orange gear with full mod slots is a great thing we already have and is simply a different solution to the same issue. Why add stupid appearance slots that have been done to death in many MMOs when we have awesome fully moddable gear?

~More Cosmetic Gear

We have Social gear, a very simple thing that can and probably will be expanded as a reward for grouping. What more do you want? More options of this? That will come in time, just wait. Also, levelling will help in finding more options of this stuff.

~Dyes/Color changing to clothing and armor

I have already seen all gears that dropped so far in different colors and also minor cosmetic changes within different gear slots. Again, much more than that other AAA MMO our levelling gear has different looks and colors. I simply do not agree in the re-dying of gear and whatnot. Mostly because this game has it's own artstyle and I do not want to see some Jedi in shining pink robes running around. The colors we have are those they give us. And every bit of orange gear that they add to the game adds more options in colors and looks. Do not ask for more customization when you have not even experienced all the current system of social gear and orange gear have to offer yet.

~Roleplaying Chat channels

User made channels fix this in a heartbeat. They will not implement a Roleplaying Chat channel when 90% of their servers are not having any Roleplay at all. Do not forget, even PVE servers have PVP, most non-RP servers have no RP.

~More Hairstyles/Scars/Appearance Options

We already have a ton of options, including different body types (not merely body size like so many MMO's) and a lot of cosmetic options for the face. What do you want, endless customization? I already took 2 hours making a char with merely the options at hand. This is enough, no more please.

~Barber Shop type deal

YES PLEASE! The first thing on your list I am sure RPers and non-RPers alike all want. To be able to change our hairstyle from time to time.

~Optional Chat Bubbles

This one also, a great thing that this game does not have. And with that, we also miss animations when we type things in /say. I hate using the name, but WoW had 3 kinds of animations when talking as well as idle animations when standing still. Those small things make RP in game worth more than simple text RP and realy should be implemented.

~Interaction with objects, such as chairs, bar stools, etc.

Enough has been said about this one too, and this is also something all RPers can agree on, unlike some earlier points.

~Biography Tab

Not a must have for me, but I can see why many RPers want it. Please implement!

~NAMING POLICIES, DURNIT.

They are there, and a lot more strict than others MMOs, even for their non-RP servers. They are also already enforced. I think their GMs should focus on real issues first.

~Pop-up window explaining the purpose of an RP server, similar to the PvP one.

This one could be nice yes. Now, there is only a small text at the bottom during server selection. Not sure it will stop many people though. Users either read all there is to read on screen, or skip through every bit of text they see. There is no in-between and a popup does not force them to read, just forces them to click.

Again, not really a high priority thing.

So, I guess my point is: Thanks for putting up the list, but please prioritize what you ask for and don't ask for stuff we already have.

I support this thread. Saw one last night called Badmojo "facepalm" I didnt want to say anything as just wanted to be dune with a mission and go to bed after.

Please Bioware.....can't you do something, enforced prober names and a pop window for NEW players on the RP servers explaining them what it means to be on a RP server.

So, I've been reading, and pondering, and I thought I would put this up to consolidate, or at least attempt to, all the conversations about things we wish Bioware would give to the community of RPers. Anything from small suggestions to well-thought out ideas!

Thank you very much for putting this together! Roleplaying is hard to do, and I think it would be nice if BioWare was able to throw some development toward the roleplaying community once they've got their core gameplay under control. This is already one of the smoothest, most polished launch MMOs (if not THE smoothest) ever, so I'm hopeful they'll have some free time between the post-launch hotfixes and starting development for the first expansion. A role-players' wishlist is a great start.

THE LIST ((Yeah, I'm just going to compile everyone's stuff into an easy to find list now.))
  1. Appearance Slots for Armor
  2. More Cosmetic Gear
  3. Dyes/Color changing to clothing and armor
  4. Roleplaying Chat channels
  5. More Hairstyles/Scars/Appearance Options
  6. Barber Shop type deal
  7. Optional Chat Bubbles
  8. Interaction with objects, such as chairs, bar stools, etc.
  9. Biography Tab
  10. NAMING POLICIES, DURNIT.
  11. Pop-up window explaining the purpose of an RP server, similar to the PvP one.

Great start! My thoughts on each:

1. Disagree: If they rejected even color-matching, we'll never get an appearance tab. Also, we SHOULDN'T considering their orange/mod system. I think the "more cosmetic gear" is a better route to take. I think this list should focus on that:
  2. On "More Cosmetic Gear," I think putting more orange gear for cheaper cost in the social vendor is the way to go. This can be generic stuff--such as the pilots' suit for fleet commendations--that people can spec up with mods.
  3. Priority: Dyes for armor are a must.
  4. For RP chat channels, it would be nice to have something official that mirred "general" since anything the community would create themselves wouldn't be planetary (as I understand it).
  5. In addition to more hairstyles and general character customization--
  6. Priority: --the ability to alter appearance post-character creation is a must.
  7. Priority: Chat bubbles are a must.
  8. Object interaction isn't strictly necessary but it'd be nice to be able to sit in a chair.
  9. I would LOVE a bio tab on inspect. This was one of my favorite parts of SWG and one of the few things that game did really well. However, if they can't police names, I don't see how they'd police biographies.
  10. I would like to see more response to name reports, and I'd like one additional rule on RP servers for names: no "silly" names. They already ban character, celebrity, title, offensive, and l33tspeak names, why not this as well? At least on RP servers, you should not be able to name your character "Crazyfairyman." And yet I'm seeing names like this and apparently there's no rule against it.
  11. It would be nice to have RP explained to everyone at least superficially, but without enforcement it may not be worth it. The PvP rules are enforced automatically by server rules.

I would add the additional ideas:

• Dream-feature: "Decoration" slots on your starship, where you can put, for exampnle, a weapon in a slot of your cargo hold and it appears in a pre-determined display case somewhere in your ship. In addition to gear displays, mount displays would also be good.
  • Dream-feature: Nemeses list: a buddy list for the people you love to hate on the other faction. Especially on the RP-PvP servers, it would be nice to be able to provide "nemesis" status to someone you enjoy PvPing against so that you share location when you're both online. This could be as simple as issuing a "challenge" invite to someone on your list where, if they accept, you share location for the next X minutes.
  • Functional emotes. Please clean up the emote list so that each one provides an animation. Without an animation, we may as well just be using /emote.
  • Some sort of in-game functionality for locating/advertising RP events. If not a calendar, then at least a general /rp channel. Or even planetary /rp channels and a server-wide /rpooc channel.
  • Some way of earning Social points for free-form RP. I have no idea how to do this in a way that won't be abused, but it'd be nice. Maybe an alternate currency? "Cantina points?"
  • Mini-games/cantina games. Pazaak/Sabbac would be good. Arena dueling would be good. Swoop racing would be great.
  • Custom guild ranks that can be used as titles. (Again, would be tough without enforcement and may need to be distinguished from earned titles.)
  • Same-faction guild-v-guild PvP. It'd be great to be able to go to war with same-faction guilds you oppose.
  • RP flag: the ability to mark yourself as "looking for RP."

That's all I have for now.

Edited by fodigg

I'm just going to be duplicating but might as well:

1) RP flag.

2) Appearance Tab.

3) Biography Space.

I can live with or without text bubbles and player generated content engines can probably wait a while (there's so much content here already). Still PGC is always top of my list for long run developments in any MMO that wants to cater to creative roleplayers.

i would like to make an addition to the list something that is near and dear to my heart... i am a personal believer in hazard damage. By hazard damage i mean if you are silly enough to stand under the elevator i believe it should squish you.

Elevator damage, (it descends on-top of you it should kill you)

How about a window pop up like PvP servers get explaining what an RP server is.

My server is filled with Non RPers, and its already getting on my nerves (Shien)

And general chat fills to the brim with idiots talking about how they dont have to RP.

How about naming policies?

How can they claim this game is about story when people with some of the most idiotic names can walk around unchecked?

I'm on Shien because that's where my guild was assigned. I've had to turn general chat off because I couldn't stand it.

I hate being a naysayers.. but this list is too long and misses some much more important things than what is posted here:

This will never be implemented. As they already have the fully moddable gear endgame characters will already not all look alike. Much more than most other MMOs and a LOT more than the other AAA title they try to beat. So don't even try and get this one in, Orange gear with full mod slots is a great thing we already have and is simply a different solution to the same issue. Why add stupid appearance slots that have been done to death in many MMOs when we have awesome fully moddable gear?

Because some of the appearances we want don't come in moddable versions?

I have already seen all gears that dropped so far in different colors and also minor cosmetic changes within different gear slots. Again, much more than that other AAA MMO our levelling gear has different looks and colors. I simply do not agree in the re-dying of gear and whatnot. Mostly because this game has it's own artstyle and I do not want to see some Jedi in shining pink robes running around. The colors we have are those they give us. And every bit of orange gear that they add to the game adds more options in colors and looks. Do not ask for more customization when you have not even experienced all the current system of social gear and orange gear have to offer yet.

More customization is -always- good, doesn't matter what's already in the game.

User made channels fix this in a heartbeat. They will not implement a Roleplaying Chat channel when 90% of their servers are not having any Roleplay at all. Do not forget, even PVE servers have PVP, most non-RP servers have no RP.

Agree. We don't need a server RP channel when we can make one. But I still want custom channels to be cross-faction.

We already have a ton of options, including different body types (not merely body size like so many MMO's) and a lot of cosmetic options for the face. What do you want, endless customization? I already took 2 hours making a char with merely the options at hand. This is enough, no more please.

Because, quite frankly, compared to games like APB, EvE, Rift, Champions Online etc (all MMOs), the customization options in this MMO are very poor. I expected it, because BioWare has never been big on cosmetic customization. It's not what they do. They do story, not dress-up dolls. That doesn't mean that some of us don't want dress-up dolls in our MMOs.

So, I guess my point is: Thanks for putting up the list, but please prioritize what you ask for and don't ask for stuff we already have.

We don't have any of the stuff he asked for. We have pale facsimilies of it that don't cut the mustard.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

2 hours? That is a really long time to spend making a character, especially since the character creation tool is nowhere near as complicated as, ME's or Skyrim's. I would not use your own experience to determine what the rest of the community needs for customization options. I would say, unless you were cycling through all the classes and races, that even 30 minutes would be a long time to make a character.

My opinion on it though is, I like the tool and I would like more options. But the tool we have is satisfactory. Perhaps at a later date or expansion they could add more.

Although, I was really disappointed at the lack of face masks for Miraluka. Very. For such a defining feature of the race, I would expect more than 8 options.

That doesn't mean that some of us don't want dress-up dolls in our MMOs.

Yeah. I could have done with more Zabrak options for horns, hair, and tattoos. A few body sliders would have been awesome too, though I guess after AOC the idea of seeing a bunch of 6'10" size zero females with EEE cup breasts might have turned them off to that idea.

What I would love to see is some way to make quests, or a way to manipulate or interact with the environment like a GM. I know that this is very hard to implement so people don't exploit, ect, but a mission maker could allow for some creative RP scenarios like take this package from x to y for $x. Then you could have some characters try to intercept. I remember EVE had an ability to make contracts...

I don't know if this is feasible, but it puts some social aspect to missions which could help foster RP.

T

Having read through this list, I must say that most of those things are things which, while nice, are pretty far down on the list of things which I think should be made a priority... that is other than the main issue...

CHAIRS

I don't know if this is possible for them to do, but they do have NPCs sitting(I believe), and it would make it possible for Cantina RP to be a bit more exciting.

I think we have a very good selection of customization options, and from what I've seen, nice looking gear is in no shortage either- and mods make it easy to wear early gear to late levels- heck, you can go kill rancors in a slave outfit.

I will agree on chat bubbles first of all- that's just something that makes seeing who's talking easier- since otherwise someone in say might be talking to me, or upstairs. It makes sense too- if someone speaks to me IRL, sure, I don't see a bubble, but I know where the sound came from.

Interactable objects too- we KNOW you can make chairs we can sit on, there's three of them in our ship, and we see NPCs doing it all the time- so this isn't a question of making it possible.

Since we don't have mods, more customization for our UI. I'd like to be able to make my own notes on maps, make notes on friends, etc... If you don't let us mod our game BW, you should give us the basic things we'd add from mods.

RP flag and the ability to write features like flagRSP are nice choices- many of us have more ideas about what our character looks like than the customize allows.

Now, we can make SWTOR work with or without BW's help when it comes to RP- for the most part other than chat bubbles we have a lot more than any other game has offered already. We made RP work in WAR, and that game gave RPers nothing at all.

The animations, movements and walking look great in this game, I love how armour with cloaks look like armour with cloaks, not armour with a piece of cardboard hanging off the back, and I like how much depth clothing has even at lower levels.

I hope BW does listen to us- I don't think things like an RP flag, ability to write a bit about our character, or chat bubbles would be a huge undertaking that would take resources away from the pvp/ops teams, since that generally is the only reasoning non-RPers can come up with for such things not being added.

Interactable objects too- we KNOW you can make chairs we can sit on, there's three of them in our ship, and we see NPCs doing it all the time- so this isn't a question of making it possible.

I did not know that their are chairs that you can sit on in your ship, does anyone have any idea why no chairs exist like this cantinas?

Global channels :)

Get rid of multiple servers and use the servers to have switchable instances of zones instead :)

Less number and names and arcade-ish green bars etc spam :)

• Chat bubbles so it becomes more feasible to close more of the number-focused spam-windows: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=15839 :)

Edited by SelinaK

I did not know that their are chairs that you can sit on in your ship, does anyone have any idea why no chairs exist like this cantinas?

There are chairs on the bridge that you can sit in by clicking on them, and that's on my Inquisitor's ship. I'm not sure if that's the case on all ships.

There are chairs on the bridge that you can sit in by clicking on them, and that's on my Inquisitor's ship. I'm not sure if that's the case on all ships.

The other ships have clickable/interactable chairs as well. I also notice that if you mouse over some of the other seats, like the couches or the benches, they actually bring up a window that tells you what the object is.

My guess is that those seats were intended to be sittable, but a couple of the smaller things slipped through the gaps so that game could be released on time.

Now, as for my suggestion/wishlist?

I'd like to see more emotes. Sure, clean up and fix the ones we got now, that's fine. I'd just like to see more, and have the ability to turn off the text that appears when you do animations/emotes. I'm just not fond of that myself, haven't found a way to turn that off so no one sees it.

Also, yes, I'm asking a lot, would like to see animations you do when interacting with a mission object become animations on the emote list. Heck, I saw 'console' on my emote list, thinking that it was using a computer terminal or something. but, no, it's 'character needs to be consoled'.

Lastly, adding to the emote wishlist, animations that NPCs are doing, that we can't.