Why??.. once again, PvP flag for the PvE player.

TheIronMonkey

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know like most people that PvP I love PvE as well. The idea that you are one or another is a very PvE(only) player conception. The main reason being that in most MMOs including this one even the PvP(only) characters have to engage in PvE at some point or another without fail (the reverse is never ever true even though you are using the phrase "forced to PvP"). It is impossible not to engage in PvE. In other words PvP players are PvE players. Where the attitude comes from is when PvE(only) players decide that all content in the game is for them and should be catered to PvE only. Like all the belly aching about the Gree quests... Did you ever stop to think that perhaps it isn't a PvE(only) quest? That perhaps that is not content meant for people that just want to PvE(only)? Perhaps the quest is meant for people that enjoy the full spectrum the game has to offer.

No... You just decided that it was content just for you and shouldn't include any other aspects of the game that you personally don't like. And are suggesting rules for your server to completely remove an aspect of the game that you personally don't like without regard to anyone but your own desires.

It is as ridiculous as someone suggesting that PvP servers being players only hostile to one another and all mobs and NPCs be friendly since PvE on a PvP server makes no sense...

I'm sorry, but this is very typical of a post by someone who doesn't agree with someone else's post: misrepresent the words and restate as hyperbole.

No where -- not once -- did I state that all players conform to either one play style or another. Not once in any way, shape, or form did I state explicitly or implicitly that PvP'ers should be disallowed from playing PvE. Obviously PvE play is essentially required to progress through the game; as a previous post pointed out it is nearly impossible to solely level via PvP. Typical of a reaction by someone who PvPs to someone saying that they don't like PvP, you are twisting my words and taking offense in something that doens't affect you in any way. What I (and many who solely PvE) are saying is: you want to PvP? Great! Go PvP. But don't make me do it and don't go on the offensive just because I say I don't want to.

And correct me if I'm wrong: can you not PvE on a PvP server? I could swear I read somewhere that PvE was definitely possible on PvP servers. Again, you twist my words and turn a simple idea into hyperbole and extremism that wasn't there. No one, at least not in this thread, is saying that PvE should be solely for PvE'ers. You choose to read further into something than what is actually there. I am saying that by and large play style is a choice, so why the exception? Why even have a PvE server type if PvP is engaged on that server, and moreover, if PvP is forced -- even under the guise of "choice" by offering PvE missions that cause PvP engagement -- on those that don't want to partake? No one, especially not me in the post you quoted, is saying that any one play style "owns" the game. Again, you choose to read something that isn't there then post as that having been my sentiment. Whether you intended it to be or not, this becomes a flame post because other people who agree, or might agree, with you read that as truth and fact when it wasn't what people who agree with me were saying, causing a disagreement where there didn't need to be one. In fact, far from it, because PvE-only players are simply saying: leave us alone, go PvP if you want to and keep us out of it.

I'm not saying PvE isn't PvP'ers. I'm saying simply that some PvE'ers don't want to PvP. Why is that so offensive?? And if you want to do both, what is so offensive about the thought of a system setup where the only way to engage in both is on a PvP server? That way, when you do choose, for whatever reason, to roll on a true PvE-only server, the fault is solely your own when you find that there isn't any PvP there. No, I'm not suggesting they change the server rules mid-stream. Make a new server that is truly PvP-free and open up characters transfers and I'll happily transfer over there. Once again, you make things up that I clearly didn't say.

Edited by DimmuJanKaarl
cut off during posting

I'm sorry, but this is very typical of a post by someone who doesn't agree with someone else's post: misrepresent the words and restate as hyperbole.

First and foremost I will never Identify myself as a PvPer the idea that I can only like one portion of the game is ridiculous to me.

Secondly.

No one, at least not in this thread, is saying that PvE should be solely for PvE'ers. You choose to read further into something than what is actually there. I am saying that by and large play style is a choice, so why the exception? Why even have a PvE server type if PvP is engaged on that server, and moreover, if PvP is forced -- even under the guise of "choice" by offering PvE missions that cause PvP engagement -- on those that don't want to partake? No one, especially not me in the post you quoted, is saying that any one play style "owns" the game.

I therefore have an even more radical suggestion: get rid of open-world PvP on PvE servers.

But the fact that a PvP flag mechanism even exists on a PvE server makes no sense to me; is this that hard: if (server_type==PvE) {Disable_PvP_flag=TRUE} ? It therefore makes even less sense to me that a PvE mission could ever in any way cause the player to become flagged for PvP.

No you are not saying that one play style owns the game. But you seem to have no problem saying that on the server you chose only your way of playing should be allowed. See you don't even stop to take a moment to care about what anyone else wants, what the developers created, or what the game has to offer as a complete package. You don't like this portion of the game so it should be removed so you don't have to deal with it. Call it Hyperbole all you want but it is exactly what you typed

PvE server does not mean "This server is designed so that the only activity you can participate in is players versus NPCs" There is a lot more to it than that. In fact the only real difference is you are not auto flagged on contested planets, and you have to invite PvP. People hate crafting and chose not to do it. People hate space and chose not to do it. You hate PvP and chose to pose an Idea to remove it from the server you play on. How about you try not PvPing, instead of trying to remove it from your server.

You have to use a slash command or a 2 part queue and accept function to enter PvP. Other than that open world PvP areas are all marked, You have to go into them willingly You get a warning that you are entering the PvP zone, Then you get a countdown so that you can leave if your intent was not to go into a PvP area and then you come to the forums and complain that you were forced to PvP and you don't understand why people have a particular "attitude" towards you.

Edited by Emencie

Not really true.

The first MMO's insisted on PvP for every player whether you wanted it or not. The first MMO's were also terrible and completely ruled by PvP griefers to the extent that the entire genre almost died before it had a chance.

EQ removed PvP and the audience of MMO's went from a few hundred to a few hundred thousand, almost overnight.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with PvP, but the vast majority of gamers want nothing to do with it. Any PvP should be entirely optional on any server that isn't flagged as PvP.

You say not really true, then you describe how my statement is really true. Heh. WoW alone has an audience of a few million, they have some "PvE" quests that require PvP. PvP players have to do a heck of a lot more PvE then PvE players have to do PvP.

No you are not saying that one play style owns the game. But you seem to have no problem saying that on the server you chose only your way of playing should be allowed. See you don't even stop to take a moment to care about what anyone else wants, what the developers created, or what the game has to offer as a complete package. You don't like this portion of the game so it should be removed so you don't have to deal with it. Call it Hyperbole all you want but it is exactly what you typed

If you want PvP content, roll on a server that accommodates that. (PvP server)

If you want PvE content, roll on a server that accommodates that. (PvE server)

If you want both PvP and PvE content, roll on a server that accommodates that. (PvP server)

How are we the villains for wanting to be left to PvE in peace on a server dedicated to PvEing?

Edited by cidbahamut

I will say that I also hate PvP with a passion. I don't usually comment about it because, for whatever reason, expressing my chosen play style incurs endless grief from PvP players. I don't personally understand the attitude about PvE'ers from PvP'ers. For some reason PvP'ers come across as extremely defensive and even go on the offensive towards PvE'ers that don't like to play PvP.

I would guess PvP players get on PvE players case because every time a dev tosses PvP players a little bone threads like this crying about it pop up,

If you don't want to do PvP, then don't, its 100% optional, but then don't cry that you can't access the rewards that require PvP. Rolling on a PvE server isn't an opt out to that rule, its an opt out to not being attacked anywhere at any time.

That's kind of the entire point of having PvE and PvP servers. By rolling on a PvE server I'm indicating that I wish to opt out of PvP.

If that was the case, they wouldn't allow anyone to queue for WZs on a PvE server. I rolled on a PvE-RP server so I could RP and level without getting ganked (had enough of that in WoW :p). I PvP almost every time I play and personally have no issue with a few quests flagging me for PvP.

I can OPT OUT of doing those quests if I don't want to do them.

There is no gain without cost. You just want everything to be handed to you on a plater. I hate PvP (in this game anyway), but it doesn't much bother me that I have to get flagged to get something that is not necessary to my enjoyment of the game. Much like people who are completionists that are cheesed off because there are PvP achievements that they HAVE to complete, but hate PvP, or the people who are pissed off that cool cosmetic gear is only availible from the Cartel Market (check out the GTN guys), it makes little sence to complain about something that really isn't that big of a deal.

Figure out your needs vs. your wants and you will have a more enjoyable experience. Do you NEED HK or do you just WANT HK? Well if you need him to complete a mission or facet of the game, you would then have the right to complain. As it stands, you don't need anything you have complained about to enjoy the game, you want. And yes, filling wants is part of joy, but it's the joy of greed.

If you need to feel the joy in greed, be prepared to do things you don't want to do.

[Need]

[Greed]

Edited by Thylbanus

How are we the villains for wanting to be left to PvE in peace on a server dedicated to PvEing?
Lets see if I cant show you with your own post...

Firstly. As it stands right now. You can PvP on any server type, You can PvE on any server type.

If you want both PvP and PvE content, roll on a server that accommodates that. (PvP server)

What you have just written is "PvPers need to go to PvP servers, PvEers that like to PvP need to go to PvP servers. And leave the PvE servers to only those that will not PvP ever and leave us PvE(only) players in peace."

It is just as easy to say

If you want both PvP and PvE content, roll on a server that accommodates that. (PvE server)

Which is "PvEers need to go to PvE servers, PvPers that like to PvE need to go to PvE servers. And leave the PvP servers to only those that will not PvE ever and leave us PvP(only) players in peace."

This is why you sound like a Jerk to anyone that enjoys the part of the game you dislike. You have decided that the server and the game needs to cater to you and **** anyone else that likes anything different.

PvE servers are not an opt out of PvP, anymore so than PvP servers are an opt out of PvE... sorry if you are just learning this, but there is tons of PvP going on, on your PvE server every day. and the fact that you are trying to take away PvP from the people who love it on your server is the reason you are the "villain" Not because you want to be left to PvE in peace. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Just don't go into PvP then complain you were forced there.

PvE server does not mean "This server is designed so that the only activity you can participate in is players versus NPCs"

It can be PvP on PvE servers but consensual.

Since by design this game has contested areas, then 1. PvE quests should not take players there or 2. The auto pvp flag is deactivated in these areas, otherwise BW is false advertising and misusing the PvE concept confunding people like you who seems to know very little about this basics.

Thanks god we don't have more server types if already is hard for some to understand 2 types.

It can be PvP on PvE servers but consensual.

It is, 100% consensual You have to go into a PvP area, or flag yourself toPvP.

Since by design this game has contested areas, then 1. PvE quests should not take players there or 2. The auto pvp flag is deactivated in these areas, otherwise BW is false advertising and misusing the PvE concept confunding people like you who seems to know very little about this basics.
1. PvE quests do not take you to any contested area.

2. The PvP flag warns you 10 times that you are going to be flagged for PvP if you go/stay in the contested area. It is naturally after 10 warnings, assumed that you intend to be in the PvP area, and intend to stay and participate. It could be increased to 20 or 30 warnings... but something tells me that wouldn't make you happy

You seem to think that any quest you want to complete is a PvE quest... Sorry. If the quest requires you to go into PvP to complete it. It is clearly not a PvE only quest right? would you say the Warzone quests were PvE? None of them require you to kill a player, and all of them require PvE like objectives. Why would you assume that a quest that requires you to go into PvP, was a non PvP quest?

Thanks god we don't have more server types if already is hard for some to understand 2 types.
Oh the irony :jawa_wink: Edited by Emencie

So where am I supposed to go to get my PvE experience without having to deal with PvP shennanigans?

Oh right, I'm supposed to turn off the game and go find something else to play. Because that's a winning strategy.

Do another quest? There are thousands of them in the game. Go do one of the many many flashpoints, heroics, dailies, raids or otherwise?

PvPers have a few warzones and like 2 open PvP areas, all of which you are NOT required to go into. If you WANT to go into them to get whatever it is you need, bring some friends.

It's really not a hard concept, guys. You're complaining about the tiniest little thing, when there are bigger issues at hand that should be addressed first.

So don't play the game. Got it.
Yup if that's what you take it as. There are literally hundreds of quests and activities in this game that do not require PvP at all.

There are a dozen or so quests and activities that do require PvP. And you are complaining that you cant do those dozen or so quests because they require PvP and so they should all be made to not have any PvP in them at all. Else it means you cant play the game.

Another person asked why people treat PvE(only) players a certain way... This selfishness is the core reason why

I can tell you this. BW. No matter how many times you make me flag PvP, I will not now or ever like it, play it, or have use for it. You only get me frustrated, more and more, until one day, I just un-sub and go play something that doesn't frustrate me.

I totally agree with this, as someone who does not care for PvP in this game or any other I do not see why as part of a PvE quest chain we need to get flagged for PvP.

so not to sound like a douche or anything.. but the issue you guys got here is having to enter pvp areas on pve servers right? well i can see why some might see it frustrating if they get jumped while questing along at their pve server.. but is'nt that more the players fault for partaking in pvp rather than the devs? they obviously chose the servers not to pvp but still they do so should'nt the blame be pointed at these players instead?

i mean i'm on a pvp server and i can venture into the outlaws den and areas alike and not get jumped by a single person for the duration.. should i blame the devs for not being constantly attacked also?