Rollbacks happened!

Hyldig

Rollback means restoring last 'good' copy of datanase, and that could re made on even hours. What would happen here would be character data not getting saved in time between actions and crash.

Altough, I was leveling alt when servers went down. (Red Eclipse) Just finished one planet and was about to start next one, running to galaxy map. Logged back exactly in same place I got disconnected.

So rollback? No, that certainly did not happen.

That's common. THey have rolled back before and I have rellogedo n the same location i was before , but lost all items and comms i had won during the rollback time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Red Reaper for 3 days trying to get a new chest piece because I hated my old one so much. I finally got one to drop today as a random drop and now it is gone along with the helm I got...my character looks really stupid again. Since it was a random drop it would probably take me a long time to get again so I hope they give it back. I put in a ticket about it. Edited by Venarus

That's common. THey have rolled back before and I have rellogedo n the same location i was before , but lost all items and comms i had won during the rollback time.

Had full~~ish bags and both exp bar and quest progress was exactly where I left it. Not saying something else couldn't have disappeared, but it certainly wasn't what one should call 'rollback'.

And this is especially troublesome if it simply didn't affect everyone, for example buyer recieved bought item but seller didn't get money. In such case stuff can't be simply restored, whole new 'proper' rollback is required, and reollbacks are bad.

So you rolled back the servers HOURS! And didn't tell about it.

My god, you incompetence is amazing... I lost more than 20 elite commendations. 23 to be exact and all loot from multiple HM runs...

The Red Eclipse.

Well, since you were so cordial in bringing this up I'm sure they're going to jump right on it and get it resolved for you.

Oh, wait..............

Same on Tomb of Freedon Nadd. My whole pvp weekly lost. All warzone comms lost.

Thank you. Pls save every 3 seconds in the future or add some sort of /save command.

They probably do, which points to the problem probably being in the archiving part of the server farms, generally companies do use the same hardware storage arrays for this kind of work while it waits for more permanent backup so a failure there could cause rollbacks on multiple servers and make the servers stop when they can't copy away their incremental backup data.

So ever time a server goes down for +-2 hrs you think they should give you something? I'm glad you don't run one of my businesses.

It's not about giving something when server is down. Everyone is fine about servers being offline. The problem is that people lost savegame data.

Rollback means restoring last 'good' copy of datanase, and that could re made on even hours. What would happen here would be character data not getting saved in time between actions and crash.

Altough, I was leveling alt when servers went down. (Red Eclipse) Just finished one planet and was about to start next one, running to galaxy map. Logged back exactly in same place I got disconnected.

So rollback? No, that certainly did not happen.

Semantics.

Maybe they did 'roll back' specific databases, maybe they did not. Maybe some were simply corrupted and auto-restored to a last good state / back-up.

The fact that some people are logging in to where they were when they disconnected while others are logging back in missing commendations and gear seems to suggest character last position data is stored in a different database than say character assets such as commendations or gear.

Not to mention others are reporting logging back into a different place than where they were when the servers crashed.

And of course what ever it is called, losing customer items (data) due to a server crash is typically considered unacceptable service.

Edited by DawnAskham

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I wanted to pop in and give an update. We have looked at your reports and I can confirm that during our downtime, in some rare circumstances, players could have experienced a loss of quest progress, items or commendations gained, etc.

If you feel as though you were affected, please contact customer support via in-game ticket with as much information as possible from the character that was impacted.

Thank you all for your patience!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

@ Eric

i noticed that i have some quests are reset. Most likely my items/commandations have been lost. Since i don't know which item(s) or how many commandations, what should i say in my customer service ticket?

How will you cover my loss? :rak_02:

This is serious and unacceptable mistake about data loss... It's like the loss of money in bank account for a MMO player...

You have 101% to make sure that its never ever happen again.

@ Eric

i noticed that i have some quests are reset. Most likely my items/commandations have been lost. Since i don't know which item(s) or how many commandations, what should i say in my customer service ticket?

How will you cover my loss? :rak_02:

This is serious and unacceptable mistake about data loss... It's like the loss of money in bank account for a MMO player...

You have 101% to make sure that its never ever happen again.

I had an issue with a patch deleting nearly everything in my cargo hold. I reported it to CS, but they wouldn't help unless I knew the exact name of every item I lost.

I didn't get any of my items back. :/

Yep my valor went from 59 to 45 on one character, my class quest reappeared on another, lost about 120k and that's about it.

Sad thing is that nobody will return you your items, they expect you to take it on the nose and carry on. this happened before shortly after f2p went live and overloaded their 'Megaserver' I lost a good million credits worth of goods then and they told me they can't refund them, I didn't get any complementary cartel coins as a sorry, no free playing time to make up for what was lost, I received **** all.

Frankly if this time they don't return my lost item's / stats ect. or give some token of apology, ( Cartel Coins, credits, free play time ) I'm unsubscribing, i'm sick of them.

Why dont you guys cry some more.

I'm not saying that his doesn't suck but seriously, you had to have known it was going to happen. It isnt the end of the world stop acting like children.

Well said, there are WAY too many crybabies on this forum acting like they deserve special treatment because they grew up with mommy telling them they were special 15 times a day.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to pop in and give an update. We have looked at your reports and I can confirm that during our downtime, in some rare circumstances, players could have experienced a loss of quest progress, items or commendations gained, etc.

If you feel as though you were affected, please contact customer support via in-game ticket with as much information as possible from the character that was impacted.

Thank you all for your patience!

-eric

Hi Eric.

Regarding what you wrote above.. I dont see the point in doing this when the only reply I'm getting is 'We wont be able to restore your commendations'. To me this just seems like a completely waste of my time having to raise -two- tickets for this issue, and then just getting the shaft in the end.

I dont see the point in telling us to raise a ticket to get our items restored, if the only reply we're going to get is a big fat 'screw you' in return. Was this just something you did to cool down people, and never intended to follow through on?

In any case, I'm incredibly disappointed, and I guess I should be happy I didnt prepay another two months when I was planning to. At least while knowing that this is the kind of 'customer support' I can expect, I can leave the game without looking back and regret leaving.

P.S:

I never expected my comms restored, but basically getting told that I -will- get my comms restored if I raise a ticket, then getting a big fat 'fck you' in return from CS really annoyed me.

Hi Eric.

Regarding what you wrote above.. I dont see the point in doing this when the only reply I'm getting is 'We wont be able to restore your commendations'. To me this just seems like a completely waste of my time having to raise -two- tickets for this issue, and then just getting the shaft in the end.

I dont see the point in telling us to raise a ticket to get our items restored, if the only reply we're going to get is a big fat 'screw you' in return. Was this just something you did to cool down people, and never intended to follow through on?

In any case, I'm incredibly disappointed, and I guess I should be happy I didnt prepay another two months when I was planning to. At least while knowing that this is the kind of 'customer support' I can expect, I can leave the game without looking back and regret leaving.

P.S:

I never expected my comms restored, but basically getting told that I -will- get my comms restored if I raise a ticket, then getting a big fat 'fck you' in return from CS really annoyed me.

Instead of being absolutely ridiculous, why don't you say WHAT you put in the ticket? They requested as much information as possible -- if you're trying to lie your way into commendations, it won't work. I'm not suggesting you are -- merely trying to point out why they need information. If you didn't give enough, I can imagine them saying they won't restore it.

It's also possible you were mistaken, and didn't lose any comms. Once again -- not suggesting this is true, merely pointing to the possibility that they DID look into your account, and found no issues.

ONTOP of that -- please, highlight for me -- where did they "basically" say you WILL get everything restored? If YOU read into it too much, you have yourself to blame and no one else. Putting words in someone elses mouth is a no-no.

Edited by Kilora

Instead of being absolutely ridiculous, why don't you say WHAT you put in the ticket? They requested as much information as possible -- if you're trying to lie your way into commendations, it won't work. I'm not suggesting you are -- merely trying to point out why they need information. If you didn't give enough, I can imagine them saying they won't restore it.

It's also possible you were mistaken, and didn't lose any comms. Once again -- not suggesting this is true, merely pointing to the possibility that they DID look into your account, and found no issues.

ONTOP of that -- please, highlight for me -- where did they "basically" say you WILL get everything restored? If YOU read into it too much, you have yourself to blame and no one else. Putting words in someone elses mouth is a no-no.

1. I gave them every possible detail (even the clock of when we did the raid)

2. I told them the exact quests I handed in (in both tickets)

I did lose comms, especially considering that I got both those quest restored to my log. In addition I had several guild members in the same raid that lost comms as well, but couldnt allude to the exact amount.

I might have read a bit more into what Eric said, but why on earth would he suggest that we raise a ticket if we were to assume we wouldnt get our items restored? That's like telling someone to go to the supermarket without money. You can go there, but it will be quite pointless.

I did lose comms, especially considering that I got both those quest restored to my log. In addition I had several guild members in the same raid that lost comms as well, but couldnt allude to the exact amount.

I might have read a bit more into what Eric said, but why on earth would he suggest that we raise a ticket if we were to assume we wouldnt get our items restored? That's like telling someone to go to the supermarket without money. You can go there, but it will be quite pointless.

Your analogy is way off. Eric is a community team member -- his job is NOT the same as CS, the people who read your ticket. It is COMPLETELY possible that Eric "fought" with CS about what happened, and was overruled.

Common sense says -- asking is never a bad thing. He'd be stupid to tell you not to bother asking, but he'd be stupid for promising you'd get it back.

Tickets are also necessary for documentation and tracking purposes. It is good for them to have as much information on hand as possible. How do they know what to work on if no one reports it? How do they know how many people are affected if no one reports it? You may not get a "satisfactory" response every time, but it's still good to document and report when things go wrong. It helps everyone in the end.

Your analogy is way off. Eric is a community team member -- his job is NOT the same as CS, the people who read your ticket. It is COMPLETELY possible that Eric "fought" with CS about what happened, and was overruled.

/Agree.

Common sense says -- asking is never a bad thing. He'd be stupid to tell you not to bother asking, but he'd be stupid for promising you'd get it back.

/Agree again.

Common sense is not all that common sometimes in the forum... as we have just seen IMO.

ronniehenlau, your open post to Eric was snarky and disrespectful (because you implied he personally promised you anything, and you exaggerated...probably to vent in a passive aggressive manner). Eric did exactly the corrrect things here....he investigated... he got back to the community about it.. and he gave specific instructions about your next steps. You can't blame him if CS could restore quests or progress, but not rewards/drops. You were out of line.

ronniehenlau, your open post to Eric was snarky and disrespectful (because you implied he personally promised you anything, and you exaggerated...probably to vent in a passive aggressive manner). Eric did exactly the corrrect things here....he investigated... he got back to the community about it.. and he gave specific instructions about your next steps. You can't blame him if CS could restore quests or progress, but not rewards/drops. You were out of line.

Damn.. Thought I had you on ignore, but I'll reply before tossing the good ol ignore on you.

- Eric did not do the correct thing here. If he had investigated, he would have said 'Your quest rewards are sadly lost, we're sorry for the inconvinience'. I like Eric and all that, but imo, the answer he gave was far to easy to read far to much into. I'll easily admit that I read to much into it, but I do however feel Eric should have been more clear in his post.

- I dont feel like I exaggerated, outside of where I wrote I felt it had been promised to me. It wasnt promised, and again, I read to much into it. See first point.

- I didnt blame Eric for CS not beeing able to restore anything. I blame EA and their CS. I blame Eric for suggesting opening a ticket, as he either knew full well that we wouldnt get our rewards restored and still told us to contact CS, or he did not know this, and he didnt investigate what their policy regarding this is. In other words, I feel he miscommunicated.

Lastly.

I was not out of line. A customer paying for a product is -never- out of line. Period. If you had been working in a service business, you would know this as well. (The customer is always right, even if he's wrong.) I have to admit that your attempt at psychology was rather amuzing tho (passive-aggressive? Really?), thanks for that.

Edit:

I would like to apologize to Eric if my post seemed hostile. Reading it now, it seemed more hostile than it did (probably spurred on by a combination of the horrendous CS and writing on a tablet). I did not mean to seem hostile, but I did mean to show the fact that I was not happy with what has transpired. Had this been the first time something similar to this has happened, it wouldnt have been so bad. However, having multiple tickets getting closed without any information, or with a 'We can't assist in this matter', is getting to a point where its incredibly annoying trying to contact CS.

Edited by ronniehenlau