Skill Points...lost abilities. Why not another rout?

Wraiven

I worked hard on my Jugg to get that top tier ability, just to log in and find out that I had to run 5 more levels to get it again. Not a real huge deal, but I am a tad bit annoyed that I lost abilities on multiple characters that I had already unlocked before the patch.

Did it *have* to be that way? Was there no other way to fix the skill tree without taking abilities away from us that we have already unlocked? It's like, I grind out 40 levels just to finally get that ability...now I have to grind out 5 more. It feels like the way you feel when you think your job is finally done, then somebody shows you more work you have to do after you thought you were already finished.

Taking away abilities that people have already previously unlocked just seems a bit harsh for a skill tree rework IMO.

I worked hard on my Jugg to get that top tier ability, just to log in and find out that I had to run 5 more levels to get it again. Not a real huge deal, but I am a tad bit annoyed that I lost abilities on multiple characters that I had already unlocked before the patch.

Did it *have* to be that way? Was there no other way to fix the skill tree without taking abilities away from us that we have already unlocked? It's like, I grind out 40 levels just to finally get that ability...now I have to grind out 5 more. It feels like the way you feel when you think your job is finally done, then somebody shows you more work you have to do after you thought you were already finished.

Taking away abilities that people have already previously unlocked just seems a bit harsh for a skill tree rework IMO.

o.O I was able to get the top ability for my Smuggler (well, I had the option for it, but I didn't take it). Is it that you split off into another tree first?

o.O I was able to get the top ability for my Smuggler (well, I had the option for it, but I didn't take it). Is it that you split off into another tree first?

No no, I hard core leveled my Jugg to 40 just to get that ability and put him away until a later date for PvP. Now, I have to level 5 more levels before I can get it again. It's just that particular spec is missing a key component to complete the DoTs on that spec without that top tier ability. So now, i have to endure another 5 levels before I can even unlock it again. Not really looking forward to it.

I have to agree, to me it feels like they didn't really give us five new levels, they just tweaked the skill trees and made loose five points and have to regain them by going through to 55, which means for lower levels you may have even lost powers if you are just at the cusp of gaining a certain power for awhile.

I guess it isn't end of world, but to me it doesn't really feel like we got more skills, just re-arranged skills that cost more.

Edited by JackATTache

Yeah it sucks... I would of likes to see just an extra 5 points so you can go up another tree a little bit, instead of raising the amount of points needed to get to the top...

feels like you've been pushed back 5 levels that you need to make up just to carry on instead of looking forward to five more levels..

quite disappointing.. :(

You sure do complain a lot.

They could have easily just given us another tier above the current top tier, instead they only care about screwing over people with hybrid builds who refuse to take the crappy top tier skills because they suck for many classes. So instead of just letting people go with what they like and what works they blindly re-arrange the trees and hope for the best.

"Blindly rearranged" - seriously?

There were numerous reasons why the skill tree's had to be re-arranged.

Allowing 5 more points to be added to the existing trees would have been a balancing nightmare. To give some potential builds (pre 2.0) 5 more points would have just turned them into "ultimate" characters.

So instead they re-design the whole tree from 1-55 instead.

There is no "blind arrangements" going on here. Take a look at the trees as they are now and you can see they have been tweaked to keep balance and to give people the choices as before.

No no, I hard core leveled my Jugg to 40 just to get that ability and put him away until a later date for PvP. Now, I have to level 5 more levels before I can get it again. It's just that particular spec is missing a key component to complete the DoTs on that spec without that top tier ability. So now, i have to endure another 5 levels before I can even unlock it again. Not really looking forward to it.

Interesting

How would it be a good idea to put abilities ABOVE the top tier ability in a skill tree? Yes, it's a pain, but from what I've seen, the new filler abilities are far from useless and my toons will be much stronger once i level up a bit again. Shadowstrike at 30% of cost AND useable from the front on my shadow tank? 2 immediate stacks of upper hand as my sawbones just for entering/exiting stealth mode? Yes please.

This did seem a little weird to me how they did it. It was my understanding that skill trees typically get a new top level ability when a level cap happens.

Instead we just had the top level abilities moved up and had some added in the middle. I'm not complaining, and the new middle abilities are awesome, it just seemed weird.

Meh, it isn't really that big of a deal, to be honest.

You can still unlock the top ability. It just involves skipping something that is minor. There is no spec where every talent is signficicant for normal play so it's really not a factor unless you make it out to be. No suprise there's people doing that on the boards no less. I'm 50 and spent my points to get to the top again and there's absolutely no noticable difference between now and pre-2.0.

You sure do complain a lot.

I also congratulate a lot. Get over it. This is the forums where I have every right to either complain or congratulate. Sorry it bothers you, but honestly, it bothering you is not my problem. Sorry about your luck.

Also, pot calling the kettle black?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=551526

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534918

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=617554

Edited by Wraiven

You can still unlock the top ability. It just involves skipping something that is minor. There is no spec where every talent is signficicant for normal play so it's really not a factor unless you make it out to be. No suprise there's people doing that on the boards no less. I'm 50 and spent my points to get to the top again and there's absolutely no noticable difference between now and pre-2.0.

Negative. If you were level 40, you lost that top tier ability. If you want the top tier ability, you have to now be level 45.

Basically if you dont buy the expansion, you character is semi-ruined.

Even at lvl 50 you now have 5 less off spec points to spend on secondary tree talents, as it takes 36 instead of 31 pts to top off your main tree.

welcome to cookie cutter wars.

And since the capstone talent is very important (sometimes the whole tree basically revolves around having and using it) speccing 36 into one tree is pretty much mandatory in many cases, making for a less than great play experience for 45 levels while you slowly work your way towards having the one talent that drives you whole spec tree...

This game is free to play, but hardly free to enjoy. And becoming less and less enjoyable the less you spend.

Absolutely 100% in agreement. This is the only thing about 2.0 that REALLY irritates me. The rest of the stuff I think they'll tweak or solve or I'll get used to. However, a decision was made to take abilities that I have (as a Sorcerer) at level 50 and place them at the top of an expanded tree. I wasn't sure if this was just for my class (haven't checked my other characters) but it appears to be the case with others.

This leaves me with the feeling that I *have* to pay to get access to something I already paid for. Next time they screw around with the tree they may want to consider what the optics are and how people uncomfortable with F2P would react to it.

Not a cool move. Out of everything that has happened with this game over the year (and more) I've been a subscriber, this is the first time I've considered moving on. And I consider myself a fanboy and am usually the guy in the thread defending BioWare!

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Basically if you dont buy the expansion, you character is semi-ruined.

Even at lvl 50 you now have 5 less off spec points to spend on secondary tree talents, as it takes 36 instead of 31 pts to top off your main tree.

welcome to cookie cutter wars.

And since the capstone talent is very important (sometimes the whole tree basically revolves around having and using it) speccing 36 into one tree is pretty much mandatory in many cases, making for a less than great play experience for 45 levels while you slowly work your way towards having the one talent that drives you whole spec tree...

This game is free to play, but hardly free to enjoy. And becoming less and less enjoyable the less you spend.

Eh, reading the forums it was already cookie cutter with all the specs, usually with 1-3 points to spend however you wanted.

Absolutely 100% in agreement. This is the only thing about 2.0 that REALLY irritates me. The rest of the stuff I think they'll tweak or solve or I'll get used to. However, a decision was made to take abilities that I have (as a Sorcerer) at level 50 and place them at the top of an expanded tree. I wasn't sure if this was just for my class (haven't checked my other characters) but it appears to be the case with others.

This leaves me with the feeling that I *have* to pay to get access to something I already paid for. Next time they screw around with the tree they may want to consider what the optics are and how people uncomfortable with F2P would react to it.

Not a cool move. Out of everything that has happened with this game over the year (and more) I've been a subscriber, this is the first time I've considered moving on. And I consider myself a fanboy and am usually the guy in the thread defending BioWare!

Agree so so much!!!

While I don't agree with all their solutions for making money (lottery Cartel Packs I'm looking at you) the game has to make money somehow or it will shut down.

It seems halfway decent of them to allow a player to run through all 8 class quests over hundreds of hours without giving them a penny. I find it hard to be sympathetic towards a "free" player critical of Bioware wanting for one-time fee of $20 to continue playing the game to 55.

I've seen a family heavily overdo the "free samples" at the ice cream shop and it doesn't bother me. But if they starting complaining at how the experience is "not as enjoyable" as the patrons that are spending money on the ice cream -- I would probably laugh in their face.

Edited by Khevar

- Arcada

You paid to get access to level 50. Level cap is now 55 so it makes sense the cap ability has moved up.

It seems that a lot of people are forgetting 50 is no longer end game. Your level 50 chars are lowbies again. And anyone that was a lowbie when the patch hit end game just got a little further away so guess what? So did the capstone abilities.

Edited by Capt_Beers