2.0 PvE Powertech DPS

Ajaxduo

Hi, as for now, I am an AP powertech and not be very strong in my DPS I think I manage the rotation but with on the parser I still be really behind the other DPSes of the raid my guildies are 2200 and I 1800.

here is my parse (on the first boss of Asation were I manage a 2023 DPS thanks to the packed adds) I will send a dummy parse in the hour :)

[EDIT]

here is my dummy parse (1966 at the and, around 2100 in fight DPS if I don't forget to manage my heat ;) )

[/EDIT]

I'd like to see a parser of one full AP "harcore" DPS if there is one ;) cause there is some hybrid or pyro parses but no one for the AP :(

As for now, I have only 2 set bonus some pieces 72 and the other 69 you can see my gears and skill tree here

If you have any advises, I will thank you ;)

PS : I am a PVE only player ;)

Edited by Brett-dha

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an AP PT on ebon hawk, and i haven't tested how much dmg i can do(lvl36 so don't have immolate yet), but my problem seems to be squishiness. . .i can do quests 2 or 3 lvls below me and die easily. . .i was lvl 35 when i took on that beast for the Mand'alor, and even w a trauma medpac and mako died several times until i finally out-dps-ed him by about half a second. . .i got the best gear i could find for my lvl off the gtn, and do have over 8k hp and armor rating is 2500-sh(not sure, but its definitely over 2300), and still whenever i group up for heroics ppl comment on how squishy i am. . .can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

I have an AP PT on ebon hawk, and i haven't tested how much dmg i can do(lvl36 so don't have immolate yet), but my problem seems to be squishiness. . .i can do quests 2 or 3 lvls below me and die easily. . .i was lvl 35 when i took on that beast for the Mand'alor, and even w a trauma medpac and mako died several times until i finally out-dps-ed him by about half a second. . .i got the best gear i could find for my lvl off the gtn, and do have over 8k hp and armor rating is 2500-sh(not sure, but its definitely over 2300), and still whenever i group up for heroics ppl comment on how squishy i am. . .can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Powertechs do seem somewhat squishy compared to other heavy armor classes. My Mercenary and Juggernaut both powered through heroic missions that my Powertech is having issues with. I'm guessing that changes once you get Carbonize at level 46 (insane level to get your second CC).

That being said, if you're dying a lot on regular missions below your own level, you're probably doing something very wrong. Let's take a look at some tips:

1. Use Mako.

Disable her Med Scan and Electro-Stasis and put her in Blaster Stance. You've now got a pseudo damage dealer companion with heals. This should lower the time you spend killing stuff, which makes up for Mako's lack of Med Scan (takes too long to cast compared to the output).

2. Use Flame Sweep.

While running from one group to the next, use Flame Sweep to stack Prototype Flame Thrower. This enables you to pop Flame Thrower off the bat instead of first having to spend 3 GCD in combat to use it.

Alternatively, use Flame Sweep in combat in place of Flame Burst. If there are more than one enemy in the group (usually is in a group), Flame Sweep does more damage, so why not use it. Sometimes I use an Explosive Dart and some Flame Sweep spam to clear one group, then pop Flame Thrower with a full stack of Prototype Flame Thrower to clear the next.

3. Use cooldowns often.

It's tempting to save your cooldowns for a rainy day or that accidental pull, but a cooldown not spent is a cooldown wasted - especially if you end up dead. Don't be afraid to pop Death From Above, Electro Dart and Energy Shield often. If you get dangerously low on health, remember that Kolto Overload now works as an "oh shi-" button for when you drop below 30% health.

But yeah, Powertechs seem to get their survivability late in the game. The uptime of Mercenaries in comparison is ridiculous. My Mercenary just pops an instant cast Kolto Missile after each fight to top off herself and her companion. Powertechs don't get that luxury. They also can't start their fight from 30 meters away, so they're taking more damage against melee enemies.

Sorry hybrid dps is the only valid dps currently in pve .

AP simply lack the punch , to effectively play hybrid it is all about heat management and using railshot as a heat regainer .

I tried all 3 spec , unless everything is a critical AP might pull out ahead , but if everything is a critical .

then hybrid still pulls ahead cause of the dots critical .

Sorry shoulder cannon rapid fire spam to ease heat in AP isn't that big difference in dps gain .

The problem is that infact AP needs to have flame burst 30% critical damage buff .

But 3% more damage cylinder and 8 heat regain and no critical damage buff or alacrity on AP biggest hitter flame thrower .

Means hybrid is still better off , so much for all there calculations and testing .

PT dps is lacking behind that you need to be creative to be competitive .

There is something wrong with your class' DPS trees when only a marginal fraction of your players reach the capstone of the tree. I do think it's interesting that powertechs are a class where a creative hybrid build is viable, and I don't want to discount that as a design win, but we are too weak overall, and one rather obvious path to take toward fixing the problem is strengthening the deep end of both DPS trees, such that they are actually worth speccing into.

Agreed immolate needs to hit harder in AP and if flamethrower is the main dps in AP then it needs critical damage multiplier .

If AP wants to be compettive and shoulder cannon is the new gadget .

Then fix it that it is a mainstay , now it is just a heat regainer , 7 shot over 1.5 min is not dps .

Sorry 5 min fight that means a total 21 shot shoulder cannon , that hits like garbage like the old missile blast .

So now the whole key of PT DPS is flameburst , now nerfing combat gas cylinder cause afraid of people finding high energy gas worthless .. It is worthless compared to combustible gas cylinder ..

So either buff up flame burst damage so it really takes advangetage of highenergy cylinder .

Or rewrite high energy cylinder to 10% alacrity . Or scrap high energy cylinder and let all PT dpsers use combustible gas cylinder .

How much flameburst does both PT spec have to use in most fights .

So you can imagine people understand it is there main ability . It doesn't help both dps tree have to use it .

One to charge up the big flame thrower , other to keep a dot ticking so they regain heat .

Sorry the deepend in both tree needs to be strengthen the way Arsenal and Gunnery was done .

nobody is saying heatseeker missile or explosive round is weak .

PT needed a bit nerf , but now it is in a state where it can't be competitive , unless it is a hybrid and superb heat management skills .

Powertechs do seem somewhat squishy compared to other heavy armor classes. My Mercenary and Juggernaut both powered through heroic missions that my Powertech is having issues with. I'm guessing that changes once you get Carbonize at level 46 (insane level to get your second CC).

carbonize doesnt look very useful, 2 and a half seconds of free time isnt enough to do much in, and especially if there are more outside melee range its not gunna cause a significant enough drop in incoming dmg

That being said, if you're dying a lot on regular missions below your own level, you're probably doing something very wrong. Let's take a look at some tips:

1. Use Mako.

Disable her Med Scan and Electro-Stasis and put her in Blaster Stance. You've now got a pseudo damage dealer companion with heals. This should lower the time you spend killing stuff, which makes up for Mako's lack of Med Scan (takes too long to cast compared to the output).

alright, did not know that

2. Use Flame Sweep.

While running from one group to the next, use Flame Sweep to stack Prototype Flame Thrower. This enables you to pop Flame Thrower off the bat instead of first having to spend 3 GCD in combat to use it.

Alternatively, use Flame Sweep in combat in place of Flame Burst. If there are more than one enemy in the group (usually is in a group), Flame Sweep does more damage, so why not use it. Sometimes I use an Explosive Dart and some Flame Sweep spam to clear one group, then pop Flame Thrower with a full stack of Prototype Flame Thrower to clear the next.

i do this all the time, unless its a pair of strong guys in which case i only hit one w flame burst and take him out as quick as i can b4 taking on the other

3. Use cooldowns often.

It's tempting to save your cooldowns for a rainy day or that accidental pull, but a cooldown not spent is a cooldown wasted - especially if you end up dead. Don't be afraid to pop Death From Above, Electro Dart and Energy Shield often. If you get dangerously low on health, remember that Kolto Overload now works as an "oh shi-" button for when you drop below 30% health.

^this. . .if something has a CD longer than 1 min i practically never use it. . .havent even trained my heroic moment cuz w a 20min CD i figure im never gunna hit it, my quickslots r almost totally filled up already, and maybe i can use the creds to buy something ill actually use. . .

But yeah, Powertechs seem to get their survivability late in the game. The uptime of Mercenaries in comparison is ridiculous. My Mercenary just pops an instant cast Kolto Missile after each fight to top off herself and her companion. Powertechs don't get that luxury. They also can't start their fight from 30 meters away, so they're taking more damage against melee enemies.

thank you for your tips, i will train in them on the taris heroics while i try to gain those other 3 lvls that i somehow missed. . .

Thank you all :) so I need to get some info about the hybrid spec.

If you would like to help me with.

could you tell me the basics order of using the skills ? because I try it and couldn't go on a competitive parse cause over heat is realy too fast :(

thanks

Edited by Brett-dha

Thank you all :) so I need to get some info about the hybrid spec.

If you would like to help me with.

could you tell me the basics order of using the skills ? because I try it and couldn't go on a competitive parse cause over heat is realy too fast :(

thanks

the best advice to give on that crap hybrid is don't do it. It is less damage then full AP if you want proof, just go to torparse.com and look at powertechs for S&V hard mode 16m. The top parse for every fight for US players was done by AP.

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/Training+Dummy/Operations+Training+Dummy?ac=Powertech

there is the direct link to the top dummy parses by powertechs the top US parse is done with AP i know cause its my parse.

Edited by Hizoka

the best advice to give on that crap hybrid is don't do it. It is less damage then full AP if you want proof, just go to torparse.com and look at powertechs for S&V hard mode 16m. The top parse for every fight for US players was done by AP.

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/Training+Dummy/Operations+Training+Dummy?ac=Powertech

there is the direct link to the top dummy parses by powertechs the top US parse is done with AP i know cause its my parse.

First, thank you for your answer. you put smile on me :D

Well I see you are a very good AP :) you are Ka'sumi in the list, right?

did you use some adrenals during the parse?

Do you have a mr Robot profile too? to see how you optimize your toon or could you look on mine in the wish list to see if you can advise me on some better gears; I'd like to be better, but need a "master" to help me... ^^

Did you have some tips about my parses?

reminder :

here is my dummy parse (1966 at the and, around 2100 in fight DPS if I don't forget to manage my heat ;) )

[/EDIT]

As for now, on the dummy I had only 2 set bonus some pieces 72 and the other 69 you can see my gears and skill tree here

If you prefer to continue in PM I'm OK with that.

again thank you :)

The top parse for every fight for US players was done by AP.

Not even close. Of the 12 bosses in this tier on 16M HM, in the US, and not counting Dreadful Entity, three of the top parses are full AP. There are five full pyro and three AP hybrid parses (which are held by yours truly, actually). Please stop going around spreading false (or half-true) information about the viability of certain builds.

By the way, I find it hilarious that you're flaunting a dummy parse just a few days after you were posting in two or three threads simultaneously that "it's called a dummy parse because you have to be a dummy to care about it" or some such nonsense.

Dude. Take your meds. Jesus.

Not even close. Of the 12 bosses in this tier on 16M HM, in the US, and not counting Dreadful Entity, three of the top parses are full AP. There are five full pyro and three AP hybrid parses (which are held by yours truly, actually). Please stop going around spreading false (or half-true) information about the viability of certain builds.

By the way, I find it hilarious that you're flaunting a dummy parse just a few days after you were posting in two or three threads simultaneously that "it's called a dummy parse because you have to be a dummy to care about it" or some such nonsense.

Dude. Take your meds. Jesus.

Dash'roud

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/S...e?ac=Powertech

Titan 6

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/S...6?ac=Powertech

Thasher

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/S...r?ac=Powertech

Orlok The Shadow

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/S...w?ac=Powertech

Cartel Warlords

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/S...s?ac=Powertech

Styrack

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/S...k?ac=Powertech

look at 16m HM Ka'sumi is the topUS parse on every one of those fights for powertech.

funny how i cannot find your vanguard on any of the rankings anywhere... you seem to be the one talking without any proof.

Edited by Hizoka

Actually, you don't have the record on Olok, but if your point is that AP is viable, I'm not sure any serious powertech would argue against that. It's clearly viable. However, even if AP is the end-all, be-all powertech build, that says nothing about the other builds being bad. Both pyrotech and AP hybrid are both viable, and the logs bear this out in abundance.

If it does turn out that you eventually end up holding the TFB records, too, I have a feeling this speaks more to your superiority as a player and perhaps gear than the "MAGIC AP SPEC FIXES ALL" mantra. By the way, using extreme parse outliers to champion a marginalized spec most likely isn't the right kind of data to use to determine overall viability.

I mentioned this in the other thread that you're condescendingly parading around, but I'll say it here, too. It's not doing the players of this class any favors by spreading misinformation about the viability of the other DPS builds that people are working with, currently. And your tone, Jesus Christ. Really, take your meds.

Congratulations on your records and apologies for not finding all of your records when I originally posted. I'm really not sure how I only saw three of them. My bad!

Finally, I'm not a vanguard. You're looking in the wrong place. You will find me a spot above you on Operations Chief, and in the first or second place slot on several HM 16 TFB encounters.

Edited by Metinsith

Actually, you don't have the record on Olok, but if your point is that AP is viable, I'm not sure any serious powertech would argue against that. It's clearly viable. However, even if AP is the end-all, be-all powertech build, that says nothing about the other builds being bad. Both pyrotech and AP hybrid are both viable, and the logs bear this out in abundance.

If it does turn out that you eventually end up holding the TFB records, too, I have a feeling this speaks more to your superiority as a player and perhaps gear than the "MAGIC AP SPEC FIXES ALL" mantra. By the way, using extreme parse outliers to champion a marginalized spec most likely isn't the right kind of data to use to determine overall viability.

I mentioned this in the other thread that you're condescendingly parading around, but I'll say it here, too. It's not doing the players of this class any favors by spreading misinformation about the viability of the other DPS builds that people are working with, currently. And your tone, Jesus Christ. Really, take your meds.

Congratulations on your records and apologies for not finding all of your records when I originally posted. I'm really not sure how I only saw three of them. My bad!

Finally, I'm not a vanguard. You're looking in the wrong place. You will find me a spot above you on Operations Chief, and in the first or second place slot on several HM 16 TFB encounters.

when i do TFB this week i'll go out of my way to try and de-throne you :D BTW i took the top spot in every fight for the US and some overall in a parse i ran in a SM pug this week, i just got to do hard mode. Not to mention i gear the first boss top powertech by 150 DPS :D FT > all on the mini adds :D

Edited by Hizoka

Yeah, I actually expect you to take the top spot in TFB over me. I've always considered myself a pretty average player. Good luck. You should write an AP guide.

i dominated your TC number BTW :D and i took top spot for Writhing Horror and Dread Guards, guild stopped before we killed operator so i got to wait until tomarrow to finish getting the top US spot for every boss fight in game.

Awesome AP dps , definetly very skilled player .

Well then you could be pulling more with a Hybrid spec .

Especially with your gear setup .

here my gear ain't top notch so did a quick test this morning full AP and the hybrid .

On the dummy .

hybrid came out 100 dps more already .

http://www.torparse.com/a/267863

No setbonus used ,66 barrel mainhand still .

rotation on both could be a bit more fluent , since am rusty not playing the PT much anymore .

but judge for yourself , if you can pull AP dps that high with near perfection , your scaling should be higher with a hybrid .

Awesome AP dps , definetly very skilled player .

Well then you could be pulling more with a Hybrid spec .

Especially with your gear setup .

here my gear ain't top notch so did a quick test this morning full AP and the hybrid .

On the dummy .

hybrid came out 100 dps more already .

http://www.torparse.com/a/267863

No setbonus used ,66 barrel mainhand still .

rotation on both could be a bit more fluent , since am rusty not playing the PT much anymore .

but judge for yourself , if you can pull AP dps that high with near perfection , your scaling should be higher with a hybrid .

hybrid does better on dummies then it does in actual raid encounters. The things AP has over it you do not see on a dummy, like the faster run speed for one. There is no fight in game that lets you simply stand still. Everytime you move AP has the advantage over hybrid. On top of that AP is more raid friendly in the fact that it has much better defense against AoE damage. A DPSers job is to do as much damage as possible while taking as little as possible. Every time there is an AoE attack AP takes 30% less damage then pyro or hybrid, that makes the healers have to spend time healing you rather then keeping a tank alive.

Also another not of the faster movement speed, every time you have to move out of "fire" AP does it faster causing you to take less damage then any class that lacks a movement increasing ability. There is much more to look at in raids then just dummy DPS.

Also playing AP correctly takes a higher quality player then herp a derp pyro or even hybrid.

Edited by Hizoka

Also playing AP correctly takes a higher quality player then herp a derp pyro or even hybrid.

rly? seems really simple to me, just keep up 3 stacks of prot flamethrower with flameburst(or flamesweep for AoE on trash mobs) and immolate, use rocket punch which will hopefully be free cuz of proc, RB to keep up the bleed, and ofc flamethrower, although sometimes you have to throw in something else while waiting for CD, like a RS

rly? seems really simple to me, just keep up 3 stacks of prot flamethrower with flameburst(or flamesweep for AoE on trash mobs) and immolate, use rocket punch which will hopefully be free cuz of proc, RB to keep up the bleed, and ofc flamethrower, although sometimes you have to throw in something else while waiting for CD, like a RS

everyone claims its so easy... yet why is it no-one really does it well???

hybrid does better on dummies then it does in actual raid encounters. The things AP has over it you do not see on a dummy, like the faster run speed for one. There is no fight in game that lets you simply stand still. Everytime you move AP has the advantage over hybrid. On top of that AP is more raid friendly in the fact that it has much better defense against AoE damage. A DPSers job is to do as much damage as possible while taking as little as possible. Every time there is an AoE attack AP takes 30% less damage then pyro or hybrid, that makes the healers have to spend time healing you rather then keeping a tank alive.

Also another not of the faster movement speed, every time you have to move out of "fire" AP does it faster causing you to take less damage then any class that lacks a movement increasing ability. There is much more to look at in raids then just dummy DPS.

I would agree that AP is clearly a more well rounded spec WRT mitigating damage. Easily. That being said, I can't think of a single fight where it actually matters. The 15% movement speed buff is nice, but IMO not particularly game changing - I can't really think of a situation where it's excruciatingly helpful with the possible exception of Titan. Our tanks/strats allow us to remain pretty much in one spot for most fights, especially in SV. So - nice, all of what you've said - but not extremely game changing either way.

Perhaps if the content was more difficult the above-mentioned "perks" would matter, but in the current game state they seem to me to be simply quality of life improvements, nothing else. Based on what I've read so far about NM I'm inclined to think they may actually be more useful than in existing content, as it doesn't seem like NM is too much of DPS check, but I'll leave that pondering for another week or so.

In other words - I am not saying you're wrong, simply I think you're overstating their value. Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Not really the point of my posting though, so I understand that you may disagree.

Where I do agree with you though is that from my testing - well over 100 parses - AP consistently out damages pyro or hybrid on a dummy. I very well may be doing something wrong with Hybrid but I'm pretty comfortable with Pyro. (non TD pyro of course)

However I have tried it now a couple times in operations and I cannot come close to my Pyro numbers on most fights due to target switches.

Hizo - I've looked through a number of your (and other people's) raid parses but I'm wondering if you could spend a few minutes discussing how you handle target switching - what sort of edits to your rotation you consider when you know you have a switch coming etc. i.e. what your thought process is for a single add (say, on Styrak) vs multiple adds (say, TFB irregularities) vs an actual switch (say on DG) etc.

Also some general thoughts about how you leverage TSO and VH.

Im really interested in becoming a better AP player because obviously the potential is there from a raw DPS standpoint but I'd love some perspective on the nuances of the spec in actual operations.

I would agree that AP is clearly a more well rounded spec WRT mitigating damage. Easily. That being said, I can't think of a single fight where it actually matters. The 15% movement speed buff is nice, but IMO not particularly game changing - I can't really think of a situation where it's excruciatingly helpful with the possible exception of Titan. Our tanks/strats allow us to remain pretty much in one spot for most fights, especially in SV. So - nice, all of what you've said - but not extremely game changing either way.

Perhaps if the content was more difficult the above-mentioned "perks" would matter, but in the current game state they seem to me to be simply quality of life improvements, nothing else. Based on what I've read so far about NM I'm inclined to think they may actually be more useful than in existing content, as it doesn't seem like NM is too much of DPS check, but I'll leave that pondering for another week or so.

In other words - I am not saying you're wrong, simply I think you're overstating their value. Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Not really the point of my posting though, so I understand that you may disagree.

Where I do agree with you though is that from my testing - well over 100 parses - AP consistently out damages pyro or hybrid on a dummy. I very well may be doing something wrong with Hybrid but I'm pretty comfortable with Pyro. (non TD pyro of course)

However I have tried it now a couple times in operations and I cannot come close to my Pyro numbers on most fights due to target switches.

Hizo - I've looked through a number of your (and other people's) raid parses but I'm wondering if you could spend a few minutes discussing how you handle target switching - what sort of edits to your rotation you consider when you know you have a switch coming etc. i.e. what your thought process is for a single add (say, on Styrak) vs multiple adds (say, TFB irregularities) vs an actual switch (say on DG) etc.

Also some general thoughts about how you leverage TSO and VH.

Im really interested in becoming a better AP player because obviously the potential is there from a raw DPS standpoint but I'd love some perspective on the nuances of the spec in actual operations.

i really do not do anything special when changing targets. The biggest thing is making sure before you do anything to get RB up on the target for the 3% damage buff, you heat should never be so high you cannot do that.

As far as the increased movement speed. Its not something you "see" so to speak. Back with the theorycrafters of wow they determined nothing was better in terms of pping your damage as well as midigating ground based damage then higher movement speed. It might not seem like much but it adds up, from things like getting to Orlok the Shadow after he vanishes and comes back, to titain 6 and following kephass around, or even when moving for Dash'roude if you can run faster then the tank you never have to worry about being off target an even can run ahead of him to stand still with FT while tracking the boss though it and never being out of range.

The run speed is a great advantage if you make use of it. Also the damage redcution is more important then most players let on, things like the AoE damage of operator being reduced by 30% makes it that much less of a burden on your healers.

Going back to target switching, i just don't see how you are "losing" damage on it there is no setup required to DPS a new target other then putting up RB.

For me TSO and VH heat are mostly o crap buttons. with AP you cannot "force" your heat down as far as with pyro so if you are doing AP right you never have heat issues, but once you start to get too hot you stay too hot that is when i use TSO and VH. For me is i am sitting at 40 heat and i need to fo FT i will use TSO and my heat is back to normal, if TSO is not up in that situation i will overheat on purpose after the FT then VH. As VH is a much better cooldown to dumping heat in a hurry. So basically if you get a little hot use TSO but only use it with to make FT free, if you screwed the pooch with your heat then use VH.

Edited by Hizoka

The bottom line here is that Hizoka is the current US leader in many parses, and has therefore earned credibility on matters concerning current PT dps. He says AP PT is the way to go in PvE, so do as you're told and run as an AP PT. I'm under-geared but have been running the 8/36/2 on a PT throughout this and am very competitve dps wise. At the moment I do 2300 on dummy (even with a 66 mh) and do around that (a bit less) on most 8 man boss fights.

Obviously with this spec one could easily "pad the meters" in torparse by telling the majority of the raid to stay off adds......popping explosive fuel to x3 proto ft followed by a dfa amounts to probably the hardest hitting aoe combo in the game dps-wise.

AP is a great spec and it's fun to shank fools. Energy management is easy, and, as Hizoka stated, the added speed and the 30% aoe damage reduction are certainly nice.

Edited by Rootgurr