50KB/s Update, Are you kidding EAWare?

Lungbutter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIght, cause every other MMO does that. Or do they? Please, tell me where to RELIABLY get patches for other MMOs that I can be 100% sure don't have keyloggers or viruses in them.

I've NEVER seen an MMO upload patch files to a third party or fan site. Maybe some do. If they do, you can surely tell me which ones and what sites, yes?

World of Warcraft. http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors#Incremental_update

Lord of the Rings Online: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patches/thelordoftheringsonlineshadowsofangmar/patch.html

Edited by Bomyne

The problem is that your ISP (The people in question) is throttling the connections through which you are downloading the patches through a specific DNS server that you've been routed through.

That would not explain why I only had the slowdown on the first of the three files.

Edit: I was not downloading anything else (although I started to when I noticed the issue to see if my conenctions was at fault - they downloaded fast, and my patch download speed did not change).

Also I am not using unleashed.

Sincerely hoping someone at BioWare can find out what went wrong if we give them enough information.

Edited by OneLurkerOfMany
additional info

Currently patching GW2 at 1.2MB/sec, SW:TOR at 40-50KB/sec.

There is a problem, it is not on our end. Just because the problem does not exist for you, does not mean that the problem does not exist.

But as it does not exist for us logic indicates that the problem is not down to BW. If its BW then everyone would have the same problem, if its only some people then the issue lies somewhere between BW and your PC and they have no control over that.

I've been getting 50 kbps to 150 kbps all morning. I only have this problem when using EA's TOR launcher. If it had been anything else, I would have downloaded at 1 mbps.

Do you have P2P enabled, some ISPs throttle P2P traffic just because its P2P, in which case it can be much quicker to do the direct download. Others don't so enabling P2P can be quicker.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

You believe something someone on the internet said?

I have a hunch all the people saying they're getting multiple mb/s are simply quoting their ISP's advertised throughput. But in the end, who cares? It takes as long as it takes and even if they actually were getting multiple mb/s speeds, that wouldn't help anyone else.

Why would we do that? I have a 10mb connection and my download ran at about 1.6mbit.

Something I just thought of...

If anyone is getting slow downloads, and are using a public DNS service like OpenDNS or Google's DNS, you might be running into the issue between such services and CDNs (cloud data networks). It looks like BW/EA uses a CDN for patch hosting, based on the network connections initiated when I start the launcher (it contacts a site hosted by Akamai Tech, a known CDN provider).

The way CDNs work is that they try to route your traffic to the nearest (internet-wise) site. However, using a public DNS can defeat the way it tells "where" you are, and can route you to the wrong place. It really is often best to use your ISP's default DNS.

If anyone is getting slow downloads, and are using a public DNS service like OpenDNS or Google's DNS, you might be running into the issue between such services and CDNs (cloud data networks). It looks like BW/EA uses a CDN for patch hosting, based on the network connections initiated when I start the launcher (it contacts a site hosted by Akamai Tech, a known CDN provider).

The way CDNs work is that they try to route your traffic to the nearest (internet-wise) site. However, using a public DNS can defeat the way it tells "where" you are, and can route you to the wrong place. It really is often best to use your ISP's default DNS.

false. i switched from my default isp dns to google public dns and got almost 10x my download speed.

( from 17 to 150 kb/s... lol )

I have a hunch all the people saying they're getting multiple mb/s are simply quoting their ISP's advertised throughput. But in the end, who cares? It takes as long as it takes and even if they actually were getting multiple mb/s speeds, that wouldn't help anyone else.

Really? You are pretty ignorant:

https://live.staticflickr.com/8113/8636577375_2f52cdf8ed_b.jpg

Edited by SpearlikeAtom

false. i switched from my default isp dns to google public dns and got almost 10x my download speed.

( from 17 to 150 kb/s... lol )

While it certainly seems like Google DNS gives you better results than your ISP's DNS, it does seem to show that choice of DNS can play a big role in the throughput you get, though even the google DNS isn't all that great either.

This is a bit of a failing of the way CDNs have to currently work, which is by using DNS requests to determine which hosting center's IP address to return on a given request. If your ISP uses some sort of request caching/forwarding scheme that also can fool the CDNs, then similar bad performance can result.

That would not explain why I only had the slowdown on the first of the three files.

Edit: I was not downloading anything else (although I started to when I noticed the issue to see if my conenctions was at fault - they downloaded fast, and my patch download speed did not change).

Also I am not using unleashed.

Sincerely hoping someone at BioWare can find out what went wrong if we give them enough information.

Actually it would, most cable internet residential services are not consistent and the speeds tend to fluctuate, so the speeds would slow down and increase at random times, also if it truly was an issue from EA's WAN servers putting out the update then everyone would be experiencing the same thing not just a small number.

Uh, really? I take it you don't live in the US -- or at least not anywhere that could be considered urban.

My ISP (Comcast, yuck) advertises speeds of 200mbps for the speed I pay for. I fail to see how my ~5mbps download speed is unrealistic. It had a spike up to 6.9mbps, and a few moments down at 100kbps.

Welcome to the internet. The infrastructure in this world is horrendous, and some people get screwed because of it. If you don't understand how the internet works -- don't blame EA for a slow download speed. Really quite simple. . .

Exactly. I was getting 100 kBps, then I remembered I was using Google DNS, changed to my ISP's DNS and got 500 kBps. EA is using Akamai. If you are getting slow speeds, try changing your DNS.