Baras VS Zash, who is a better teacher?

Slowpokeking

Both of them use their apprentice more like a tool, but they both became powerful Sith and surpassed their masters. I think Zash provided many help after she was trapped in Khem's body, Baras mostly let to the Emperor's Wrath himself to solve all the problems.

Neither, they both fail to teach anything. Ok, Zash seems to send you on missions she thinks you can do, while Baras seems to be hoping you die on mission, but neither actually teachs anything, each relies on you esentially teaching yourself.

I think that's quite usual among Sith. One example is Thana Vesh, from what I saw, her master didn't care too much to teach her something either.

If this approach didn't work, there wouldn't be so many powerful Sith, so it's probably ok. As I see it, Sith master has a different role compared to Jedi master. Jedi is teacher, Sith is something that apprentice needs to surpass.

Edited by zzoorrzz

Neither, they both fail to teach anything. Ok, Zash seems to send you on missions she thinks you can do, while Baras seems to be hoping you die on mission, but neither actually teachs anything, each relies on you esentially teaching yourself.

I think that's where imagination comes in, I always figured that whatever lessons they teach you will be off screen. :p

I'd have to go with Zash though.

I was honestly intimidated more by Zash, than Baras. Baras' power was more overt, easily seen and understood. But Zash? Every time she giggled, I wanted to shudder. That lady was the epitome of "freak who's gonna tear your head off just when you least expect it."

I was honestly intimidated more by Zash, than Baras. Baras' power was more overt, easily seen and understood. But Zash? Every time she giggled, I wanted to shudder. That lady was the epitome of "freak who's gonna tear your head off just when you least expect it."

Yeah. When Baras betrays you, you've expected it almost since you met him. Zash, she almost works too hard to be the friendly Master, the pal, the one you can tell anything. And I guess that's when you should realize she's going to use your back for a pincushion eventually.

If this approach didn't work, there wouldn't be so many powerful Sith, so it's probably ok. As I see it, Sith master has a different role compared to Jedi master. Jedi is teacher, Sith is something that apprentice needs to surpass.

I imagine that Sith tend to become powerful in spite of their awful training rather than because of it.

I imagine that Sith tend to become powerful in spite of their awful training rather than because of it.

I don't really agree. A Sith Master can't teach an Apprentice to meditate their way into a towering rage. That seems to me to be pretty much exactly how Sith teaching is designed. Acolytes are given the basics, combat training, the Sith Code et al.. Then it's pretty much 'throw them to the wolves'. The worthy tap into their anger/fear/pain/jealousy etc. and become more powerful, the weak are destroyed.

Dark Side training doesn't really seem like the type of thing that lends itself well to meditative silence and measured philosophical debate.

And really of all the Force Users it's the Consular who gets the short end of the stick for training. Your Master, who wasn't terribly helpful to begin with, goes off her rocker pretty much as soon as you finish your trials and you're on your own from then on. :p

Edited by jovianus

I don't really agree. A Sith Master can't teach an Apprentice to meditate their way into a towering rage. That seems to me to be pretty much exactly how Sith teaching is designed. Acolytes are given the basics, combat training, the Sith Code et al.. Then it's pretty much 'throw them to the wolves'. The worthy tap into their anger/fear/pain/jealousy etc. and become more powerful, the weak are destroyed.

Dark Side training doesn't really seem like the type of thing that lends itself well to meditative silence and measured philosophical debate.

And really of all the Force Users it's the Consular who gets the short end of the stick for training. Your Master, who wasn't terribly helpful to begin with, goes off her rocker pretty much as soon as you finish your trials and you're on your own from then on. :p

See, where you say that it's the training that brings out the worthy, I would say that the "worthy" would rise to the top almost no matter what: it's what they do, by definition. You know, unless they've been killed off by chance or something after being "thrown to the wolves". Surviving Sith training isn't proof of being a superior warrior or sorcerer or whatever; in many cases it's contingency, or "luck", or the will of the Force, or whatever. And a "worthy" student is not going to be ruined by help along the way.

Focusing training on teaching combat, or on psychological preparation for war, in an environment that doesn't profligately waste potential resources and lives, is hardly the same thing as "meditative silence and measured philosophical debate". There are ways to train men and women for war without indulging in the theoretical construct of a Randian super-being supposedly thriving in a Hobbesian nightmare. Like, for instance, the ways that have been employed by every military in the recorded history of human warfare.

Of course, yeah, as you mentioned, none of the Force-using classes really engages in all that much "training" from the start. It's pretty obvious why: nobody wants to play through a bunch of training quests, they want to kill stuff, explore, and go to war. The Sith, though, are kind of notable in that they're not even portrayed as having been trained beforehand. Both the SW and SI are literally fresh off the shuttle to Korriban when they get thrown into the tombs, whereas the JK and JC characters at least theoretically underwent some sort of training before arriving on Tython and getting thrown headfirst at the Flesh Raiders, according to the conversations with Weller and Bakarn. The Sith aren't explicitly described as having had no prior schooling, true, but the SW is described as having had his/her progress accelerated to an insane degree by Baras and Tremel, and it's hard to imagine where to fit training into the SI's schedule between "being a slave" and Korriban.

At any rate, it's not hard to see where this view of under-trained Sith acolytes comes from.

Between those two, I'll take Zash over Uncle Fester.

But the best Sith teacher, IMO, is that overseer you have to deal with in the earliest stages of the Inquisitor story. I love the fact that you get the option to tell him he was a good teacher. And he melts under the unexpected praise.

Edited by nateslice