With LA dead mean no more convos & vids?

Macetheace

but bioware are not equipped in-house for that calibre level of stuff. Take blizzard, the music in wow is great, becuase an external composer is contracted and paid to write the score, blizzard employees did not have to learn to play a musical instrument and set up a music department themselves. THey could have done, but wanna bet the quality of music would be a lot worse. That game has terrible animations they shoudl ahve just outsourced character devleopment to another company.

my point being bioware is not equipped to do that level of quality of work without huge investment and infrastructure change. Higher new people, higher the Lucas Arts staff who lost their jobs? I don't know what they 'll do so i wonder what the future for this product will hold, and if this news means no more trailers and convos of the level of quality we saw.

Stick to what you are good at, contract out the aspects you don't have sufficient quality in-house to handle. KNOW your limitations, but don't let your product be limited by you, you don't have the calibre of skill required to make animations, or music, or cinematics the world class standard that is requireed in the time span, outsource it.

However we have no idea what theyw ill do/is happening

The pre-rendered cinematics that you're fond of have nothing to do with Lucasarts. All of those were done by Blur Studios on EA's dime.

Those cinematics don't go away because of Lucasarts shutting down, they went away because they're insanely expensive and this game's current spending budget no longer allows them to do stuff like that anymore after going F2P. Well technically they could but it be money that they'd be spending on a "sweet" trailer instead of game content.

^What all of that means is that you're not going to see any more Blur (made) cinematics for TOR. They (Blur) were charging a million per minute of footage when the Deceived trailer was released and their rates no doubt went up after that as more people became more publicly aware of them.

You're wrong actually. LucasArts did all of the voice work for the game, provided the voice talent, the directors, the studios, everything. If you'll notice all of the pre-release videos, anytime they have someone related to voice work talking they are "LucasArts" not "BioWare".

Touché. Voice casting, direction, and engineering done by Lucasarts studios.

So, SWTOR lost a sound studio. I think the game will survive. It's not like they lost the actors though. Half of them are nearly constantly employed by EA. Or Disney. And there's a good chance that they'd just use one of Disney's studios instead. If not, I guess they'll just have to use the studio they used for Mass Effect... or any of the other EA games.

The voice/music recording studio isn't really a substantive loss.

You're wrong actually. LucasArts did all of the voice work for the game, provided the voice talent, the directors, the studios, everything. If you'll notice all of the pre-release videos, anytime they have someone related to voice work talking they are "LucasArts" not "BioWare".

So in that sense, yes LucasArts did contribute to the game quite a bit.

Wrong. Some of the voice actors used in TOR have also been used in other Bioware games. They were contracted by Bioware, not LA. Doubt me? Look up Jennifer Hale and Jo Wyatt, just to name two. Hale did Bastila Shan in the original KOTOR and FemShep in all three Mass Effect games. Wyatt did FemHawke in Dragon Age 2 and was the voice of Brynn Cole in Mass Effect 3.

LA did not provide the talent. Bioware hired people they used in other games. Steve Blum, the voice of Andronokis Revel and Baron Deathmark also voiced Grunt in ME 2and 3. LA didn't provide his services. Bioware hired him. The studios and directors were also hired by BW. LA provided consul but didn't actually do the work.

Wrong. Some of the voice actors used in TOR have also been used in other Bioware games. They were contracted by Bioware, not LA. Doubt me? Look up Jennifer Hale and Jo Wyatt, just to name two. Hale did Bastila Shan in the original KOTOR and FemShep in all three Mass Effect games. Wyatt did FemHawke in Dragon Age 2 and was the voice of Brynn Cole in Mass Effect 3.

LA did not provide the talent. Bioware hired people they used in other games. Steve Blum, the voice of Andronokis Revel and Baron Deathmark also voiced Grunt in ME 2and 3. LA didn't provide his services. Bioware hired him. The studios and directors were also hired by BW. LA provided consul but didn't actually do the work.

BioWare having a history with the voice actors just attracted them to the project (although one thing to keep in mind is a lot of those actors were introduced to BioWare through SWTOR, Wyatt's part for SWTOR was probably finished before Dragon Age 2 was even in development). You have to remember that SWTOR was in development by BioWare for years before BioWare was purchased by EA. BioWare Austin would not have had the facilities to coordinate that level of voice work with over 200 voice actors.

Sorry but there's fact and there's fiction. The claim that LucasArts provided nothing to SWTOR is false. They did indeed provide all...all? Yes all of the voice work for the game.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/15728-interview-series-the-audio-of-star-wars-the-old

That's a pretty good prerelease interview from 2009.

Edited by Korusus

BioWare having a history with the voice actors just attracted them to the project (although one thing to keep in mind is a lot of those actors were introduced to BioWare through SWTOR, Wyatt's part for SWTOR was probably finished before Dragon Age 2 was even in development). You have to remember that SWTOR was in development by BioWare for years before BioWare was purchased by EA. BioWare Austin would not have had the facilities to coordinate that level of voice work with over 200 voice actors.

Sorry but there's fact and there's fiction. The claim that LucasArts provided nothing to SWTOR is false. They did indeed provide all...all? Yes all of the voice work for the game.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/15728-interview-series-the-audio-of-star-wars-the-old

That's a pretty good prerelease interview from 2009.

Thank you, my instincts weren't that far off.

My gut feeling is that this is a bigger loss for Bioware than anyone interested in this game may like to admit. My gut feeling is that, through Lucas Art they were able to access and complete a much larger number of video/convos, and quality of voice acting. You ahve to admit,t eh quality of voice acting in SWTOR is amazing. I use tothink Wow was good (didn't play ME), but SWTOR has high quality convo after convo after convo. I'm ever surprised with every new character I play, and i played wow thoughout my growing up that offered far less, and whiles it will take me maybe another year to go through all the other 1 to 55 content on my other classes, what i'm really getting at is if the dissolution of LA has put the final nail in the coffin of a Chapter 4 and more down the line, certainly with that calibre of voice acting and animation.

I also suspect that Lucas ARts played a huge consulting role that we don't know the depth, off, they probably met to discuss themes of some of the more unusal and newer alien speices to be introduced. I wonder if some of the very different concept arts for aliens like the Voss did not come from Lucas Arts in concept creative meetings.

Creative is where blockbusters are born or die, your most lovable race, with style, background, context etc how they fit, story is all decided there. Also those guys live and breathe star wars - i can't help but think hey, youhave resource like Lucas Arts working with you, i mean that sort of relationship woudl be very expensive for a totally independent company like say blizzard to forge with someone else, probably forcing them to do a lot more stuff in house, without the level of free access to such quality.

Just my thoughts though