Dulfy about to tweet 'exciting' news on SWTOR

He's right. Hype for this game is over the top at times. People expect far too much and when it doesn't happen, it becomes a massive let down. It's better to remain realistic than it is to fantasize about things this development team can/can't do.

It's still the 'glass is half empty' mentality...............which I agree with, but lets be clear about what we're saying when it comes to expectations.

I personally like taking the half empty stand because it means I'm never disappointed but I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if I were to go to a party, where the previous party was announced as something "to die for", and then it was a fancy red and white crhistmas hat for everyone attending... I would not expect much from that party.

Pessimists are optimists with experience.

Expecting the worst or nothing, I can only be positively surprised.

Pessimists are optimists with experience is my new favorite quote. When people call me a pessimist, I simply reply that I am a realist normally.

Edited by SentinelDranoel

It's still the 'glass is half empty' mentality...............which I agree with, but lets be clear about what we're saying when it comes to expectations.

I personally like taking the half empty stand because it means I'm never disappointed but I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised.

Bingo and there is nothing wrong with that.

Agreed! I do the same! Although, with this game, I also wait to see what exactly is IN the glass before getting too excited :p

Whatever the news is, I'll keep playing. I'm not waiting for something new to enjoy the game. No announcement will get me to log on more or play longer.

My guess is some explaining on another "cool new system" that will be added to RotHC. They made the "new systems" part of their first RotHC announcement, but didn't really announce anything new system-wise except new talent trees and achievements.

I suspect they will have more up their sleeves on the "systems" department. My hopes are on Pazaak or Swoop Racing minigame being added. But I'm not getting my hopes up on them. We'll see when it's announced.

Pessimists are optimists with experience is my new favorite quote. When people call me a pessimist, I simply reply that I am a realist normally.

Not only that... but someone calling someone else a pessimist IS BEING pessmistic, and therefore ironic. :)

And if they push-back and say no, they are just being realistic about the pessimists..... more irony IMO.

Edited by Andryah

I am alanis morisette ^

The news that news is coming is old news , but I am excited and don't forget TorWars ( and darthhater ) are breaking news too , news that will make you explode in fact :) in 15 mins too , lets count it down for all the grumpy pessimistic peeps on the forum.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Agreed! I do the same! Although, with this game, I also wait to see what exactly is IN the glass before getting too excited :p

Yes yes.... what is that golden yellow liquid in the glass held in front of me.... is it a fine aged single malt or...... is it :eek:

Best to test before drinking. 'Tis true with so many things in life.

Yes yes.... what is that golden yellow liquid in the glass held in front of me.... is it a fine aged single malt or...... is it :eek:

That's funny because I typoed the word peeps in my post above yours the word "pees" accidently lol.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Well, you know what they say. Beer is merely unrefined...you know.

Edited by Infernixx

He's right. Hype for this game is over the top at times. People expect far too much and when it doesn't happen, it becomes a massive let down. It's better to remain realistic than it is to fantasize about things this development team can/can't do.

Would be pretty sweet if something happened today to change that perception.

What is the question imo, is this:

what kind of news can fansites bring that the dev team can't? am i missing something?

I don't think it's that the Devs or CM's here "can't" break the news, I think this is more of a bone that Bioware is throwing to the fansites to thank them for all they do.

Better yet, have someone else test it first, before you taste it ;)

And I prefer to let the jolly happy lunatics test it, before I am getting near it ;)

But as this "news" is... we will all be able to read it and I will not be disappointed... as I am not expecting SWTOR to suddenly fulfill all my wet dreams about a StarWars MMO. I expect SWTOR to gradually evolve and I am happy with that.

With all the different expectations people were proclaiming just in the two threads about this topic, a lot of people are guaranteed to get disappointed.

And we all are guaranteed to see threads with topics like "Seriously, still no (insert silly claim) by now ?" within 10 minutes after the announcement.

Edited by JPryde

what kind of news can fansites bring that the dev team can't? am i missing something?

It's a pretty common tactic to release news to 'unofficial' channels on occasion. It allows the company to gauge player reaction without officially announcing it.

That way, if the news invokes furious rage and outrage, then the company can back off and go 'unofficial leak! unconfirmed story! not happening!'

I don't think it's that the Devs or CM's here "can't" break the news, I think this is more of a bone that Bioware is throwing to the fansites to thank them for all they do.

I was thinking it was just standard guerilla marketing. Probably news about the launch of the expansion (there I go stepping out on thin ice getting people hopes up :p )

Lots of people from fansites etc went to austin texas about 3 weeks ago and that's when they found out but where obviously asked to keep silent until today :)

Server transfers ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I was thinking it was just standard guerilla marketing. Probably news about the launch of the expansion (there I go stepping out on thin ice getting people hopes up :p )

Well darth haters news won't be about the release of makeb. O and there is also going to be a few bits of news over the coming days too , not just one announcement :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

With all the different expectations people were proclaiming just in the two threads about this topic, a lot of people are guaranteed to get disappointed.

And we all are guaranteed to see threads with topics like "Seriously, still no (insert silly claim) by now ?" within 10 minutes after the announcement.

JPryde wins the thread. :D