Stop with the Nickel and Dime Approach

Talon_strikes

You're cute for thinking this game still has a subscription option in the classical sense of the word. You're not paying a sub, you're buying a discounted monthly bundle on weekly access passes. I recommend people make their peace with that fact and enjoy this f2p game for what it is instead of taking up arms in the crusade for the dead and buried "premium service" every single time the CM gets an addition.

We lost that war roughly a year ago.

Hey buddy, why don't you go read the page where it gives you the things you are supposed to gain from being a sub. People even asked before this went F2P how they will handle subscriptions, and this is not it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality of the situation still hasnt sunk in folks? Game went f2p. There's a reason why the old guard ala Daniel Abbs Erickson bailed out. They felt like you (and I) do. But alas it didn't work out.

Sooner we come to grips with it the better for the game. If we persist in the mindset of expecting WoW-esque sub service from a GW-esque game we just hurt the whole game.

I can see it now, when the feature comes the interwebz will explode again and the blogosphere and podcast will rip TOR a new one once more for EAs "corporate greed". Then the same people will turn around and pucker up to kiss GW2s behind while they pay their gems for their makeover kits with smiles on their faces.

I know people who play GW2. You buy the box and that is it. You can opt to buy things in their store but it is things that are a luxury but not needed for the game itself. You have everything you need to successfully level. When you buy from their store its a want not a need. Being able to change your character's hair style or color should have been a thing that was put in from the beginning. Every MMO I have played has that feature and if there is a price to be paid it is done so with the money you earn. It isn't a cartel type thing like what they are talking about. An addition like makeb or the cathar is not something that should be paid for it should be part of the sub price we pay. Makeb with its one planet is an add on not a true expansion.

People are willing to spend but it should not be for stuff that it generic at best with a premium price or for stuff like makeb, Cathar, or the barbershop. At that point the nickle and diming is just getting out of hand and as consumers we have a right to voice our displeasure

Cheer up guys and gals.At least the game still exists Let's just hope if they are making a killing with the CM that they put that back into the game and release another new planet and 5 more levels. I'm not to bothered by the barber shop announcement , hopefully it will be cheap and make any shaving/haircut tickets BOE and lets buy and sell those suckers.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

The only upcoming "feature" that was mentioned in the State of the Game article, was a Cartel Market item. That's where the problem is.

Use your Stipend to pay for it. How many times do you need to re customize your character?

The only problem really is between the ears of most of the whiners on these forums. That sad thing is Wolf has been cried so much if they really did do something terrible, like put end game raid gear on the market, no one would listen anymore.

SWTOR has the least nickle and dimey store out there of any MMO I've played, almost everything except the rarest items, you can get off the GTN for very little in game currency.

I think the real problem is people want everything for nothing, so they make up all sorts of terrible fake arguments about the lack of dev morals so they can engage in their own greed fest.

Seriously.

Reading the State of the Game #3 article was pretty bad. I know you guys are out there to make a profit, but you're not going to have my money once you stop trying to milk more money out of those who are subbed and who want more PvP/PvE-driven content.

Might as well call this game: Coin Wars™: The Cartel Republic™. :(

Never forget this...

I LOL'd at this really loud. Yeah, they are really transparent about what they are doing. It's shameful really...

Seriously.

Reading the State of the Game #3 article was pretty bad. I know you guys are out there to make a profit, but you're not going to have my money once you stop trying to milk more money out of those who are subbed and who want more PvP/PvE-driven content.

Might as well call this game: Coin Wars™: The Cartel Republic™. :(

Never forget this...

Coin Wars Rise of the Cartel Coin.

Use your Stipend to pay for it. How many times do you need to re customize your character?

The only problem really is between the ears of most of the whiners on these forums. That sad thing is Wolf has been cried so much if they really did do something terrible, like put end game raid gear on the market, no one would listen anymore.

SWTOR has the least nickle and dimey store out there of any MMO I've played, almost everything except the rarest items, you can get off the GTN for very little in game currency.

I think the real problem is people want everything for nothing, so they make up all sorts of terrible fake arguments about the lack of dev morals so they can engage in their own greed fest.

The real problem is that the cm is becoming the focus of the game. Why don't you try to understand that instead of resorting to name calling?

Hey buddy, why don't you go read the page where it gives you the things you are supposed to gain from being a sub. People even asked before this went F2P how they will handle subscriptions, and this is not it.

If you actually DO read the page where it is said what subscribers get you will see that he is 100% correct in his description of the sub being, basicly, a collection of free weekly passes (like for Warzones and PVP) and a few other nice things that are one time purchases (like purple gear, titles and hide headslots) combined with a few things no F2P can buy (like constant increased rep gain and no credit cap) all iced with a 500 CC per month reward.

I mean, the page is literally a page filled with what you get for free with the sub that others will have to pay for. How can you claim that is proof of anything else?

Also, the barbershop casting Cartel Coins is not nickle and diming subscribers until we have any clue how much it will cost. Will it be 10 CC? 50? 100? 500? Will you be able to buy an option that makes it possible to, from that moment on, change it with just ingame credits? We don't know these things yet. So yes, inderixx was right.. everyone in this thread is screaming bloody murder and the sky is falling without knowing even the slightest thing about the actual product yet except that it is a Cartel Store item.

Oh yes.. and another thing: You realise that everything except hair changes that this re-customization offers also costs money in WoW right? Race change, body type change, skin color change.. WoW offers also a gender and faction change (because races are tied to factions), but all these things have cost real money in that game for years. This is industry standard people, deal with it.

The real problem is that the cm is becoming the focus of the game. Why don't you try to understand that instead of resorting to name calling?

Why don't you try and find actual proof of the CM becoming the focus of the game? I mean, just because it gets updated more regularly with shiney gear doesn't make it the focus. That's how these in game stores, or stores in general, work; make sure people keep having reasons to part with their money in your favour by refreshing the offerings on a regular basis.

You realise we are still getting content updates every 8 weeks right? That the last major announcement was the Gree event and Reputation system, both didn't need nor involve the Cartel Store in any way, right? You also know we are still get RotHC in the upcoming months, right? You also know that this will contain a lot of non Cartel Store content, right? You also realise that every content update since August, from the Chavin event, to the HK-51 quest lines and Section-X, to Terror From Beyond, to Denova Nightmare Mode, to Ancient Hypergates Warzone all did not involve the Cartel Market in any way.

All the Cartel Market gave us was shiney stuff people go "oooh pretty" for and want to spend their money on. This new Reputation we got 2 weeks was the first real 'new' thing we got to the Cartel Market. And the next will probably be this re-customization when it goes Live. How is that focusing on the Cartel Market when we see the list of other things we have received in the last 6 months?

So how is that the real problem, if the point is even provably wrong. No, the entire point of the whole 'focus of the game' debate is from people who used to think they were cool because they had the time to grind out to get the shiney new gear sets so they could boast about it when hanging around on fleet on their shiney mounts with shiney gear. And now they need real money for the shineys and they are bitter. It's not about being the focus of the game, it's about being the focus on the Fleet.

Edited by Devlonir

Why don't you try and find actual proof of the CM becoming the focus of the game? I mean, just because it gets updated more regularly with shiney gear doesn't make it the focus. That's how these in game stores, or stores in general, work; make sure people keep having reasons to part with their money in your favour by refreshing the offerings on a regular basis.

You realise we are still getting content updates every 8 weeks right? That the last major announcement was the Gree event and Reputation system, both didn't need nor involve the Cartel Store in any way, right? You also know we are still get RotHC in the upcoming months, right? You also know that this will contain a lot of non Cartel Store content, right? You also realise that every content update since August, from the Chavin event, to the HK-51 quest lines and Section-X, to Terror From Beyond, to Denova Nightmare Mode, to Ancient Hypergates Warzone all did not involve the Cartel Market in any way.

All the Cartel Market gave us was shiney stuff people go "oooh pretty" for and want to spend their money on. This new Reputation we got 2 weeks was the first real 'new' thing we got to the Cartel Market. And the next will probably be this re-customization when it goes Live. How is that focusing on the Cartel Market when we see the list of other things we have received in the last 6 months?

So how is that the real problem, if the point is even provably wrong. No, the entire point of the whole 'focus of the game' debate is from people who used to think they were cool because they had the time to grind out to get the shiney new gear sets so they could boast about it when hanging around on fleet on their shiney mounts with shiney gear. And now they need real money for the shineys and they are bitter. It's not about being the focus of the game, it's about being the focus on the Fleet.

For many its not shiny new gear. Certain additions they are adding like makeb the cathar or being able to change your characters look should be things already in game not stuff you have to buy. Makeb is an update, not an expansion much like the cathar and the barbershop are updates. An expansion, a true expansion is something that is huge and worth spending another another 30-60 on. Gw2 is an excellent example. People have been clamoring for more races and the ability to change their characters look since the game released. Every mmo I have played allows a person to change their characters look with the only price if there is one being the credits or merits they collect in game. Mot times the price is modest. However they do not charge via whatever in game store they have.

Every mmo I have played allows a person to change their characters look with the only price if there is one being the credits or merits they collect in game. Mot times the price is modest. However they do not charge via whatever in game store they have.

I honestly wonder which these MMO's are that you have played that offer a full character recustomization for only ingame cost then. I know WoW has an ingame barbershop, but anything more than hairdo changes needs real money as well.

GW2's version is a Gem Store item right? So they can be bought both through ingame money, or real money (like every Cartel Store unlock once dropped on the GTN).

I believe only TSW had it completely in game, as a game I know of. So really, what games are you talking about?

I honestly wonder which these MMO's are that you have played that offer a full character recustomization for only ingame cost then. I know WoW has an ingame barbershop, but anything more than hairdo changes needs real money as well.

GW2's version is a Gem Store item right? So they can be bought both through ingame money, or real money (like every Cartel Store unlock once dropped on the GTN).

I believe only TSW had it completely in game, as a game I know of. So really, what games are you talking about?

City of heroes when it was around offered character customization for the price of whatever game money you collected. It's been a while and the game is gone now so I cant remember. DCUO DC Universe Online does the same thing and they are around. You should also check out their F2P model. Free to play pay for updates like new quest lines while subscribers get them as part of their monthly subscription. Subscribers are also given as part of that monthly subscription a set of keys for lock boxes that they spend on their version of the market. The way they set it up if you are a subscriber the things you buy are a luxury since most everything is given to the subscriber in game. Character customization shouldn't be a luxury a subscriber has to buy nor is the addition to another race or update with 1 NEW PLANET and a 5 level cap extension.

In your mind maybe. Not in my mind.

Why don't you try to understand that not everyone fixates and obsesses about the cartel market like you and some others do?????

The Cartel Market is much much bigger in the minds of a minority of forum posters then it actually is an element of the game.

Edited by Andryah

In your mind maybe. Not in my mind.

Why don't you try to understand that not everyone fixates and obsesses about the cartel market like you and some others do?????

The Cartel Market is much much bigger in the minds of a minority of forum posters then it actually is an element of the game.

You're the minority, my dear.

That was a joke.... right?

No it's not. Shiney new stuff is not the focus of the game. The stuff is not even a reward if you have to buy it. The game itself is the focus with new actual content coming every 6-8 weeks. There have been as much actual content updates as there have been new Cartel Packs since F2P.

We currently have 4 distinct sets of Cartel Packs since F2P launch, and 1 Cartel Store focused event (Life Day)

Since the same launch we have also had:

Section X

HK 51

Denova Hardmode

Ancient Hypergate Warzone

Heroic Space Missions

Gree event

So.. 5 Cartel 'things', 6 pieces of content. Just because the little things from the Cartel Store get updated more often with more new little shiney stuf, or with discounts and such.. doesn't make it the core or focus of the game.

But yeah, reality is hard to handle if it doesn't fit your own distorted and hate-filled view, isn't it?

You're the minority, my dear.

No you are.

2 million NEW people considered the game worth at least a try since F2P launch. At most a few dozen people constantly whine on these forums about the changes since F2P launch.

No matter how vocal a minority, you are it.