Recount

Vinceruos

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most here argueing against a "damage meter" or a "recount" doesn't seem to grasp what one is capable of doing.

The people asking for an addon to present the numbers behind the actions in an easy to interpret way...are asking for just that...it is more then a 'DPS Meter'.

In a hectic fight, no one is going to pay attention to every ability every raider is using, it would be impossible to do so and also perform your job in addition to that.

A handy reporting tool which collected fight data, and presented it, at the end of the fight, that someone can CHOOSE to use, to see how everyone did, if they stood in avoidable damage pools, if they used an optimum ability rotation, if they took needless damage, if the Tank used defensive cooldowns at the appropriate times, etc..etc..etc..

This is not being elitist. This is not hurting those who don't want to use the tool. If you don't want to improve, don't join a guild who wants to use these types of tools to get better at the game and their class.

All this is doing is giving those people, who want to better themselves, a view into the data behind the actions so they can get better. That is all. Can the mod be used in random pugs to show that player abc isn't doing very well, and might that lead to be called out on it? Yes, that scenario can happen. How that situation is handed is up to the player. I don't condone elitism and getting made fun of, but if you are called out on it, and offered ways to improve....why wouldn't you want to improve?

Like was said earlier in this thread, a Recount meter is a tool to collect data which is already out there, just not in an easy to see report. For the reasons I stated above, this can be a valuable tool, and players who seek to be the best at what they do need something like this.

The problem is that a very few will use it as what you say it will be used there. I've used it like that plenty of times, hell we had this one guy in 1 playing on low details and he wouldn't see some of the graphic effects start until too late. He kept getting hit by them all the time and recount told us that. It was useful cause we just yelled it's coming in vent and he would just stack on someone else.

Anyway old stories aside. 10% of players will use it as a proper tool, and 90% of people will use it just as "you need 16k DPS to do this entry level raid!, auto kick if you're not hitting 16k dps"

The people who will use recount as a tool, have enough raiding experience to be able to do just fine without recount.

I've used recount in WoW back in BC, made me sad cause most of my friends didn't use it and couldn't keep up to my Epeen dps. :( So I went out and got rid of it started playing happier cause we were still killing bosses. Now just don't care about meters learn your toon meters wont mean a thing if you don't use it. Enjoy and I can't wait for EGA to start. More power to you recounter fans hope you use your dps meter wisely, I'd hate to see you be all "I'm pro cause I use recount" just to get schooled by someone that doesn't.

I don't think there will be Addons seeing that in star wars knights of the republic didn't have them thus won't be another wow thing.i played wow and raided and didn't need recount and did fine so my guess is there won't be Addons implemented unless a swtor rep who says otherwise.

Take the quote how you like. I don't know what's wrong with a youtube speed run. I'm glad you're so incredibly passionate about this aspect of a video game but I was only using it as a general term to find common ground of understanding.

When you have to come in asking who guilds are competing against... it makes me not want to take you seriously.

This tells me you went to school for some non-science major.

People crunch numbers for fun all the time. What fantasy land do you live in?

Texas where its a pleasant 64f in the middle of winter :D some fantasy world =^.^= , and I don't think medical would count as a non science major.

And losing can be as much if not more fun then winning if you lose in interesting ways :eek:

Anyway old stories aside. 10% of players will use it as a proper tool, and 90% of people will use it just as "you need 16k DPS to do this entry level raid!, auto kick if you're not hitting 16k dps"

I love made up numbers. Especially when they are exaggerated way beyond proportions.

Don't like addons? Make an amish guild.

Problem solved.

For the people asking what competitive raiding is.

It's getting first world kills, it's going through raids as fast as possible, and for the people who do it it's a means to get some cash. People are sponsored to raid in WoW, and some of those sponsored guilds are moving to SWTOR.

The point is, they can easily do without recount, it's the "normal" raiders who truly need recount.

For casual raiders it won't matter but the elite raiders will want to have some sort of recount because it'll effect progression.

The more elite people you have, the further you and faster you can progress.

Lord of the Rings Online doesnt have damage meters (there are some very new player made parsers but they aren't great and they don't show others performance - only your own).

LotRO has some damned difficult raids in the past and present. Not having damage meters has ensured that raiding teams rely on their skill, not staring at a set of numbers, to down bosses.

Im not a hater, I use recount in wow, but I know from my LOTRO raiding experience that damage meters do NOT make or break a raiding team - if anything not having them fosters more of a team spirit and a willingness to play the game. And play it in a way that benefits your TEAM, and not simply yourself by forcing your personal dps as high as it can go to be top of the meter (as with many classes this would mean sacrificing raid dps for personal dps and is actually harmful to the overall raids dps).

Edited by demonsblood

When you have to come in asking who guilds are competing against... it makes me not want to take you seriously.

Yet you did take me seriously, especially enough to make it personal. That makes you an incredibly sad individual to react in such a negative way to someone who asked a simple question.

Gj buddy and good luck on your future endeavors. You'll need it.

DPS meters dont instantly make anyone good, but the only reason people could have to be against them is they dont want everyones DPS easily available for everyone else to see.

A = A

You can come up with all sorts of arguements or put downs you want on either side. You either want everyone to know everyone elses DPS or you dont. If you are against everyone knowing everyone elses DPS I implore you to give me a reason why that makes you sound like a good player.

And the argument that only bad players need DPS meters is ignorant and is just a bad attempt at trying to turn the tables on reality. Meters neither help nor hinder your ability to deal damage they only show you what you and everyone else is doing.

Yet you did take me seriously, especially enough to make it personal. That makes you an incredibly sad individual to react in such a negative way to someone who asked a simple question.

No offence, but you asked what "competitive raiding" was. The answer was in the question.

Recount was all too often a tool for idiots and immature kids to post how leet they were. I had no problem with GM's using it when talking with other officers to point out problems internally. But once you use recount and DBM to tell you what to do and where to stand, you really take away from the game. I hope some fights I make mistakes and my other members "carry me", as I know I will do the same for them in other fights. That is why you join a group or team, to assist one another no matter what. That is kind of the Star Wars premise. I for one would probably use recount for myself as a tool to track certain mechanics and rotations, but in the end would just prefer not to have these types of addons added to a game such as this. When you link works like competitive and professional due to dps/hps numbers to raiding and video games, it might be time to take a break.

The people who will use recount as a tool, have enough raiding experience to be able to do just fine without recount.

Not really. There's still plenty of room for people to test things outside of theorycraft, or using different priorities in different fights. Even if I know how to maximize my DPS while in a tank and spank, non-mobile fight it doesn't mean I know exactly what's best for each individual fight. For those fights, combat parsers are still very useful tools.

Especially with the very very strict enrage timers on hm flashpoints, it seems like combat log parsers will probably be necessary.

Parsers have a lot of use outside individuals, too. As a raid leader it's important to know who is over- and/or underperforming, so you can try to fix the problems with your raid group. Raiding without such a parser is essentially going in without an important tool, and no real concrete way to evaluate your performance other than "did we kill the boss or not?"

Min/maxing has been a thing in progression raiding for quite some time, to remove it in this game just makes the end game seem small-time, to be honest. If the end game hard mode content is easy enough to beat without even trying to maximize dps output or healing efficiency as best as possible, it's not even anything to speak of.

Oh lawd... you thought it was personal...

That's cute.

For future reference, context clues are a godsend in the English language.

competitive swimmers=competing against other swimmers

competitive raiding=competing against other raiders

Good luck with your English goals of 2012, you'll need it.