How Safe is SWTOR from Disney?

Blackavaar

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that most of their articles are not directly sourced either.

Kotaku is far from a reliable source, and even they say three different thigns about the same game at the same time. First Assault was never even confirmed to be in development, only that rights to the name were acquired.

This is one big looming cesspool of post hoc ergo proctor hoc. Something happens after another thing therefore it was caused by it.

That is almost never the case and it certainly cannot be proven.

Swtor is fine... Disney cant touch it because the most greedy company in the world(EA) has the rights to it.

Really? The most greedy company in the world? With all of the fraudulent banks, investment firms... Big oil and airlines?I suppose that you are one of the disillusioned types who voted EA to be the most evil company in America?

Log off and go outside to get some perspective will ya?

Edited by TheBBP

So, you are going to run with "I read it on a Star Wars fansite."?

It's not a Star Wars fan site. It's a Star Wars news site.

And it's just as valid as any other internet news site.

Google it. There are other sites that have the same news, pal.

:cool:

Clone Wars: Canceled

Detours: On Hold

1313: On Hold

First Assault: On Hold

Apparently Disney has no problem breaching contracts and forking over some cash to make up for it.

Considering this "cleaning house" attitude going on how safe is SWTOR against the Disney broom?

Could this new push for the CM Packs be a last desperate effort to milk this cow for as much as they can before they are forced to pull the plug? Could the end be so near?

I must admit the storm clouds surrounding us look gloomy.

Any comment, CMs?

Correction: 1313 is currently On Hold but according to starwarsunderworld it may soon be canceled.

1) The license to operate this game using the SW IP is protected by a legally binding contract between parties. ;)

2) it's generally difficult to breach a contract between two corporations as long as the party under license is showing good faith in proper use and commercial success with an IP.

Edited by Andryah

Anyone can put up a site and copy and paste Star Wars news into it. Because they copy news from other sources and post it on their fan site does not make them legit. There is still no real or credible source for them claiming that contracts have been breached. Unless they claim to be the source, then we get to choose whether or not to believe them.

Internet news sources, regardless of topic, are notorious for propagating false or misleading news. There are no journalistic standards in force on the internet....so any given site can say anything they want pretty much.. and dozens of others will pick it up via RSS and then repropagate it regardless of credibility.

Clone Wars: Show which TOR isn't

Detours: Show which TOR isn't

1313: Both the Developer & Publisher are LA whereas the Developer for this game is BioWare while it's Publishers are LA & EA

First Assault: Not sure who was supposed to Develop/Publish this Game

I am just wondering where the OP got all of this insider info regarding breached contracts. It is hard to entertain the thread without his source,

Agreed because with the Clone Wars Series it isn't a Breach as they simply aren't going to renew for another season, it isn't a breach for 1313 as it was a completely In-House Creation and it is unknown on who would have created First Assault and since tmk there hasn't been any Outside Company that has been confirmed as supposed to be it's developer no Breach there.

And as for Detour, a Lot of Shows are at first given the Green Light and don't actually end up being shown on TV [ie Cancelled before Airing] so I doubt that there are any breach of Contracts there, cause I highly doubt that the Contract would've stated that Detour HAD to have at least 1 Aired Episode.

Anyone can put up a site and copy and paste Star Wars news into it. Because they copy news from other sources and post it on their fan site does not make them legit. There is still no real or credible source for them claiming that contracts have been breached. Unless they claim to be the source, then we get to choose whether or not to believe them.

Internet news sources, regardless of topic, are notorious for propagating false or misleading news. There are no journalistic standards in force on the internet....so any given site can say anything they want pretty much.. and dozens of others will pick it up via RSS and then repropagate it regardless of credibility.

Okay, I'll just call George himself and get all of my Star Wars news from the horse's mouth. :rolleyes:

Seriously, people. It's a news site. Arguing that because it is not direct evidence stated directly by the Disney marketing department on Broadcast News doesn't make it invalid.

Your flag waving is strong but it does nothing to alleviate my concerns.

Okay, I'll just call George himself and get all of my Star Wars news from the horse's mouth. :rolleyes:

Seriously, people. It's a news site. Arguing that because it is not direct evidence stated directly by the Disney marketing department on Broadcast News doesn't make it invalid.

Your flag waving is strong but it does nothing to alleviate my concerns.

If you would like to be taken seriously when you are making claims, come with something more than "I read it on a fan site".

Really? The most greedy company in the world? With all of the fraudulent banks, investment firms... Big oil and airlines?I suppose that you are one of the disillusioned types who voted EA to be the most evil company in America?

Log off and go outside to get some perspective will ya?

I voted them the most evil company in the multiverse.

They deserved it.

They killed Earth and Beyond!

Obviously pure evil.

This is the first EA game I have bought since the horrible events of the day of the E&B "sunset" of September 22, 2004.

Since it was a BioWare game in development for almost 1.5 years before EA bought the BioWare parent company, I rationalized it that way so I could buy SW:TOR

Well, that and even I can't stay mad forever.

I just want to state the obvious and say that Disney did buy all of the Star Wars product for 4.5 billion dollars.

I think it's a safe bet that they could shut this game down and afford the lawsuit. If they wanted to of course (not saying they will mind you ^^ ).

Yeah, first off 1313 isn't cancelled, so where you got that information I couldn't guess.

Second, EA wouldn't let Disney near it's stuff.

Until Disney buys EA that is. If they can take LA, ESPN, ABC, A+E, Marvel etc. Buying out EA would be chump change to them.

Former rat-world employee here, they LOVE to break contracts and down stuff on a whim. Watched them do it in RL quite a bit even when what they shut down was making $$.

Not doom and glooming it but it is a real possibility

Edited by MandraMoody

I just want to state the obvious and say that Disney did buy all of the Star Wars product for 4.5 billion dollars.

I think it's a safe bet that they could shut this game down and afford the lawsuit. If they wanted to of course (not saying they will mind you ^^ ).

True, they always settle out. They get sued all the time.

Disney aren't canceling every SW project, they're just reorganizing LucasFilms (and its subsidiaries like LucasArts) to focus on the new trilogy. Bioware is not part of that. The only reason Disney would have to do anything to SWTOR is to push it aside for a competing game made by another studio, which even if one was started today wouldn't be ready for at least another several years. They can't tell EA/Bioware what to do and they even have a contract they would have to work passed to shut down the game anyways. Its very different for LucasArts which Disney now directly owns and pays for its employees and of course wants said employees to work on what it wants them to.

So don't worry about it.

It's NEWS site, not a fan site.

From their "ABOUT" page.

About

Founded and maintained by passionate Star Wars fans, the Star Wars Underworld strives to uphold a fan-first attitude and family-friendly environment in which fans of all ages can engage in constructive conversation and spread the word about their creative projects. These open and respectful values have contributed greatly to the growth and sustainment of the organization, and will always be the core moral tenets of its existence.

By The Fans, For The Fans

The Star Wars Underworld was built by the fan community, and exists for the sole purpose of serving the fan community. It is a trustworthy source for breaking Star Wars news, intelligent speculation, and constructive discussion, and is a venue for fans to promote their own creativity and opinions.

A Family-Friendly, Professional Environment

All contributing members of the Star Wars Underworld staff and supported organizations are expected to conduct themselves in an appropriate and professional manner, to promote an enjoyable and constructive environment for fans of all ages and backgrounds. All fans who interact in the community are implored to uphold guidelines that encourage respectfulness and positivity.

Organization Overview

The Star Wars Underworld was founded as a Facebook page by Star Wars fan Benjamin Hart on April 10th, 2010. Later that year, contributors Chris Seekell and Jordan Petto joined Ben as admins on Facebook, and together the three have gone on to head a growing fan community of Star Wars related social media pages, blogs, Youtube channels, and websites. In spring 2011, as the original Facebook page celebrated its first anniversary, and launched the official website. In May 2011 Dominic Jones was brought in as a journalist and has since been promoted to Head Writer. In early 2012 he joined Ben, Chris and Jordan as the fourth admin of the official Faceboook page. Several team members began contributing to the Star Wars Underworld Podcast in fall 2011 and, since then, Savanna Kiefer joined the team as the podcast guest recruiter and is responsible for the appearances of voice actors from the hit animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, such as Dave Fennoy, Anna Graves and Stephen Stanton, on the program.

Even without that clear explanation, the site is clearly fan site. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is a really nice fan site. It is just not a news source. At best it is a news aggregate site.

Yeah, first off 1313 isn't cancelled, so where you got that information I couldn't guess.

Second, EA wouldn't let Disney near it's stuff.

Gotta love your naivety, if Disney says No, well that is it NO. contracts be damned there will be the ubiquitous get the hell out of my house clause that is in every IP contract. Lucas was a raving demented old man by the end but the company lawyers at Lucasarts would not have signed off on a contract without it.

Face facts ladies and gents, Disney > EA. If the mouse decides it it will be done.