The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need some mods to go with all this empty gear.

Would be nice to see some mods drop from the cartel packs or some new schematics.

The only thing keeping SWTOR from being P2W at this time, is the fact that almost EVERYTHING in the cash shop are vanity items, unlocks, and empty gear shells. (I know that some of the gear does come with mods in it, but i think the highest level gear with mods is 43 iirc, which doesn't make it overpowered in PvP/PvE specifically endgame.)

I love SWTOR, and I don't mind the focus shift to the Cartel Market as much as some people do. It's a revenue generator for EA/Bioware which is helping to keep the game going. But the second they start adding actual gear with stats, ESPECIALLY if it's endgame gear? Well, that is a very slippery slope. (It's already that way with space missions, since it's my understanding that the best ship gear in the game comes from the cash shop, but space missions are fairly side-tangent to the rest of the game, so most people don't care much that it's P2W)

TL;DR - bad idea.

Personally I wouldn't MIND getting free mods - would save credits in the long run, or time for crafting. But too many people would call P2W!!! RAGE!!!! and the forums would explode in angry posts... well... MORE angry posts :p

And all of them from poor little timmy sitting in his basement because he finished school and came home to find people are better geared than he is and all they had to do was pay money

Or Big Tim who finished his shift at Wal Mart and slunk down into his mums basement to find... yeah, see above :p

Anyway, it's just too impractical for Bioware to risk the flame-wars that would ensue - plus, this gives a bit of a leg-up to cybertechs since the only way to get mods is (once again) to buy them or wait for random drops during world grinding