The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Episode VII

Master_Gurlas

So if the new Star Wars film is a "original story" as they say, do you think the expanded universe cannon is in danger? I feel it is since after episode 6 the EU seemed to cover a lot like Thrawn, and the New Republic/Jedi order stories. What do you guys think?

It will be interesting to see, that's for sure. I have faith in the projects either way.

It will be. A lot of the EU is pure crap. A lot is pretty good too. Now if Disney goes original and gives us a bigger load of crap than the crappiest of the EU, then they will be in for a lot of trouble. But... and a big but I can not lie... how Avengers turned out, I have faith Disney will do the right thing.

It will be. A lot of the EU is pure crap. A lot is pretty good too. Now if Disney goes original and gives us a bigger load of crap than the crappiest of the EU, then they will be in for a lot of trouble. But... and a big but I can not lie... how Avengers turned out, I have faith Disney will do the right thing.

I try not to get into debates on the EU. It means many things to many people. I.E. I personally hate the Vong and wish that they had never been thought-up while many other people totally dig them. That sort of thing sorta makes me happy when I consider that there will either be a balance with bits of the EU and original story, or even an entirely original story.

I would second that, Disney breathed new life into the Avengers while remaining true to the core concepts of their characters. I would like to see the general concepts that were introduced in the EU retold more elegantly and with a more cohesive vision.

I try not to get into debates on the EU. It means many things to many people. I.E. I personally hate the Vong and wish that they had never been thought-up while many other people totally dig them. That sort of thing sorta makes me happy when I consider that there will either be a balance with bits of the EU and original story, or even an entirely original story.

They'll probably create a fusion of original ideas and familiar ones, basically taking the best of both worlds and ditching the weaker elements that crept into the EU.

On a side note, I've never understood what people disliked about the Vong. Obviously you're supposed to hate them, they're villainous maniacs bent on a religious jihad against the galaxy. However, they were a very interesting plot development and fueled some great stories in the Star Wars universe.

Edited by Ventessel

On a side note, I've never understood what people disliked about the Vong. Obviously you're supposed to hate them, they're villainous maniacs bent on a religious jihad against the galaxy. However, they were a very interesting plot development and fueled some great stories in the Star Wars universe.

It's just a personal opinion. I am not saying that they were badly written or anything like that. I just don't like them. It's not so much a thing that I don't like them because they decimated the New Republic, I just don't like their existence in the EU lore.

I still enjoy the books overall. I love the development of Luke and his New Jedi Order.

I guess it is an irrational dislike akin to how many people hate Jar Jar, who oddly enough I do not mind at all.

Edited by TheBBP

It's just a personal opinion. I am not saying that they were badly written or anything like that. I just don't like them. It's not so much a thing that I don't like them because they decimated the New Republic, I just don't like their existence in the EU lore.

I still enjoy the books overall. I love the development of Luke and his New Jedi Order.

I guess it is an irrational dislike akin to how many people hate Jar Jar, who oddly enough I do not mind at all.

I suppose I can understand that. I personally hate the Vong, but love the fact that they were invented and written into the series. It made things interesting and kept it from getting stale.

The new movies are based on George Lucas' treatises, while he's trampled on exsisting lore with the Prequel movies, he didn't thrown them out completely either. ALL the stories in the EU were approved by Lucas, up to and including the Vong, as well as Chewbacca and Anakin Solo's death (particularly how he didn't want his story to parallel with Anakin's grandfather, though they did with Jacen's *UGH*).

While it's possible that they will throw some of the EU out, it's unlikely that it'll be the entirety of the EU that gets thrown out.

Well ya know, if they wanted to age down the original cast, they could do like they did for Tron. Have a body double do the take a second time and the primary actor have the head rig and they make the character younger.

That way, could be Heir to the empire :cool:

Well ya know, if they wanted to age down the original cast, they could do like they did for Tron. Have a body double do the take a second time and the primary actor have the head rig and they make the character younger.

That way, could be Heir to the empire :cool:

If Disney ignores Heir to the Empire, that pretty much kills the post-ROTJ EU since to me that was the backbone of the EU.

I don’t understand why there is all this talk about “killing the EU”. The Batman, Spiderman, Ironman, Xmen, Avengers, etc, movies did not kill there comic books even thou they were very different stories. In fact they all gained popularity. So the new star wars movie my cause more people to go back and read the EU and instead of kill it will bring it now life. And if not then the books will still be there, no one is going to take them away.

I expect there'll be two. 1. The eu that we "mostly" all know & love. And 2. The du (Disney universe) which I figure will start out with plotlines similar to the "young Jedi knights" series with the addition of characters like Ben Skywalker (who I could see being around Anakin Solos age) to that mix. The OG crew (Luke,Leia,Han,etc) would only be a small part of the story with the kids the main focus of the stories. Maybe even throw in an appearance by Jedi master asoka & some specialized training on understanding the dark side from starkiller lol

#hated the vong killed so many great character, & jar jar kept ROFLMAO

It depends on how you look at what is considered canon.

When George Lucas was interviewed last year, he was asked about the Expanded Universe and if he considered it to be canon to the original trilogy (Episodes 4, 5, 6). According to Lucas, the Expanded Universe is NOT canon. Now, being that Lucas has sold his company to Disney I can't say for sure where that will land us.

The fact that it's now known that the next movie will be an "original story", I think we can safely assume that they are going to stay in line with Lucas' opinion about the "movie storyline" being separate from the "Expanded Universe" storyline. Basically, anything that happens after Episode 6 is completely open territory for the writers instead of having to stick to what has been created by the Expanded Universe.

Bold decision? Yes. Smart decision? I think so because it opens up a world of possibilities. I enjoy the Expanded Universe material, however I am looking forward to seeing something new rather than a re-tread of an already written book or piece of work in the Expanded Universe. As much as some people dislike George Lucas, he is the grandfather of the Star Wars story. Anything outside of what he did (The movies), is fan work and imagination by people devoted to the ideas of Star Wars. Great ideas and great works have come from the Expanded Universe, but it doesn't mean that not following EU material is a bad idea. Just my two cents.

Edited by Kestalas

It depends on how you look at what is considered canon.

When George Lucas was interviewed last year, he was asked about the Expanded Universe and if he considered it to be canon to the original trilogy (Episodes 4, 5, 6). According to Lucas, the Expanded Universe is NOT canon. Now, being that Lucas has sold his company to Disney I can't say for sure where that will land us.

not quite. There are just different level's of canon, G-Canon overrides everything (This being the Movies and other information provided directly from Lucas).

He said this:

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

more info on canon http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

Edited by fettpett

Well that's basically what I was getting it.

The movies by Lucas are what is considered the overriding canon (his world). The books, EU, etc. are not part of "his world" and thus aren't a necessity in the story line of the next movie/trilogy. Disney is doing a smart thing in going with an original storyline, giving the writers free reign in the direction that they take it. They aren't bound to people comparing it to an already written book or already written information. Risky, but smart in my opinion.

Ya know it just hit me, that I think there is gonna be two branches here...a written one(novels/comics etc) and a media one(movies) seeing as both are continuing off of ROTJ. It could be similar to the Godzilla series in which...

The main Godzilla series was Showa and Heisei series..(well up until the Showa was taken out of the continuity however the original Godzilla movie remained and became apart of the Heisei series)

Then came the Millenium series which instead of picking up where Heisei series left off, instead this series all their movies were coming off the original Godzilla in 1954 as a jump off point.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Disney will NOT kill the EU. Just because the story of episode 7 will be original only means they are not making the movie based on any of the novels. Parts of the EU will be retconned/erased, as some should (Death Troopers and The Crystal Star will not be missed.). The majority of the EU will remain, with some continuity clean-up.

Disney will not make the decisions of what to keep and what to change. Those decisions will be made by the folks at Lucas Arts. Disney would also be stupid to erase the current EU. There is a lot of merchandising they can profit from. They would not throw away the money that is just waiting for them with the toys, figures and other things they can put out.

Most of the current EU is fine. Some will change, and needs to be. A few of the early novels are not that good. Like Death Troopers and Crystal Star, the Cloned Palpatine will not be missed.

#hated the vong killed so many great character

I think it's a sign of well-written villains if people hate them. I respect authors who are willing to set aside personal emotional attachment to popular characters in order to allow for good story telling to take over.

If you had a story arc where the galaxy was at war, but none of the characters who really mattered or were well liked ever died, then there is no tragedy, no emotional loss to accompany the conflict.

Instead, the deaths of some characters produce interesting character growth in the survivors, and provide motivations for dynamic and well written characters while at the same time created a hatred for the villains in the audience that matches that of the actual people in the story.

Ok... so why do u even bring disney up in here..

DISNEY just bought the franchise...its's not like MICKEY MOUSE AND PLUTO ARE DIRECTING IT...

Dudes its j.j. abrams..its mark hammil and harison solo ford.. its the jedi academy..its the new era for the republic your character in this game made it all possible..enjoy it...and if it sux...but it wont...pretend they never released it

AND AGAIN... IT'S J.J. FREAKING ABRAMS....woohoo 2015 . we are coming

Disney will NOT kill the EU. Just because the story of episode 7 will be original only means they are not making the movie based on any of the novels. Parts of the EU will be retconned/erased, as some should (Death Troopers and The Crystal Star will not be missed.). The majority of the EU will remain, with some continuity clean-up.

Disney will not make the decisions of what to keep and what to change. Those decisions will be made by the folks at Lucas Arts. Disney would also be stupid to erase the current EU. There is a lot of merchandising they can profit from. They would not throw away the money that is just waiting for them with the toys, figures and other things they can put out.

Most of the current EU is fine. Some will change, and needs to be. A few of the early novels are not that good. Like Death Troopers and Crystal Star, the Cloned Palpatine will not be missed.

I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of EU vs. the popularity of the movies themselves. I'd hazard to guess that the number of Star Wars 'fans' who just love the movies and have never picked up a single SW novel vastly outnumbers the number of people worried about the integrity of the EU 'canon' .

They'll pay Disney to see a new Star Wars movie even if Han says his favorite color is orange when he clearly says in the Dark Heir of Shadowy Dark Imperial Darkness Trilogy that it's purple.