Going for the off node?

Banderal

In my opinion it depends on who's going to the off-node.

Too many times I've seen the 15k hero head that way, and what did he accomplish? Nada

If you're going to the off node, know how to handle yourself.

This is never really acceptable, unless you make it pay off. Only recommended for stealth, and must be very good at 1v1, or 1v2 even.

I say its not recommended since it does leave you short a man somewhere. Although, if your a well known killer such as I, you tend to draw an over commitment to defend the node you just assaulted.

Anyone who fights with me, knows I go straight for their off node and 99% of the time, I get it. Doesn't always help though. Sometimes back up never shows, and it was just a lost cause either way.

There are few situational reasons to abandon a well defended node to attack a needless one. However if the node is so contested your team is dying to fast to keep defending, then a quick strong stealth attack to other node may pay off, or alleviate some of the pressure.

Pretty much the only exception to not working with the team is being stealth, and working for the team. Most people don't notice that most wins in pub matches are from the stealth guy you didn't see wreaking havoc on an enemies game plan

this game would be 1000 times better with ops voice chat..

I have to agree that a built in ops chat would give Pugs a step up when trying to compete with premades who are already using some type of voice chat. It would also result in many of those Pugs being verbally assaulted for stupidity, where currently they only have to read (or ignore) their chastisements.

The "solo off node hero" is pretty silly, but if it's clear your team isn't going to win the 7v7 fight at the contested node and you're down 2 nodes to 1, you have to split your team and challenge both nodes. Advantage goes to the aggressor in this case, because the odds that the other team will leave itself shorthanded at one of the two nodes being fought over is overwhelming.

On my lowbie (combat sentinel), whenever I play NC or CW I alway hit off node at the start of the game. Since I have all my cool downs up (Especially GbtF), nine times out of ten I can take the off node against two people (and one is easy). It's a great way to start the match with a huge advantage (especially on CW where holding the sides from the start is such an advantage). On my operative, I do the same (again, lowbies)

One of my favorite tactics in lowbies on my sentinel is to hit the off node mod match as well when I have my cool downs ready. If I have my adrenal, medpack, Saber Ward and GbtF all up, I'm going to take the off node unless they have three people waiting for me. And if there's three people waiting for me, that means we have a two man advantage on the rest of the battlefield. This dive works really well for me to help alleviate pressure off mid. And if they leave the off node with one or two (especially since lowbies are often silly enough to leave two level ten mercs all alone), I'll cap the node and tell my team to stay put. They'll Zerg rush me and take the off node back, but I gave my team a breather and a few free points.

For 50s however, I feel like it's a less successful tactic. Because in 50s, you're much more likely to run into a shadow / sin guard and those are a pain to ninja cap. Not to say you never run into bads in 50s, but in lowbies... It's so easy to ninja the off node solo if you're in purples.

Edited by SilverMagnum

I want a cartel shop item of a boom box that I can pull out when I see the guy running off to cap that 3rd node, knowing there are 2 guards or more and thinking he can get it. The boom box would then plat Foo Fighters "My Hero"until the point where he dies.

Well, just had a 50 NC game where I was on my shadow solo guarding west and a mara came at me twice while the rest of the team was still fighting over south. I called inc-1 but got no help. I'm not that good at even 1v1 fights but I'm getting better (I think), so I was able to beat him. (He wasn't that good. I don't even think he popped his GbtF (or the mara version)). So that was a gamble that might have worked if he'd been better than me. By his 3rd try we had south, and then my team started paying attention to inc calls, so when he came that time, along with 2 more stealthers to help him, my help arrived in time to stop them. We won that game.

I don't know what the moral of this story is, but it feels like there should be one. :)