2.0 Bolster and ranked gear

Illyean

So I am hearing that the new bolster is making a much bigger difference to PvP player stats than the current system, to the extent that its not only levelling the playing field for gear but more or less eliminating it. Now Im undecided if thats good or bad thing, probably a good thing (if it works) but my concern is the ranked gear being used in non ranked war zones and although the new bolstering will close or eliminate the gap it will in fact just make the true elites in full augmented top level ranked gear playing in now ranked war zones be in god mode. Is there a case for separating ranked gear to ranked queues only?

Why? This would remove all incentive to get ranked gear. Rateds on most server already have very low participation rates. As it is in the 2.0 bolster, it seems like there won't be too much advantage for having full rated gear, but will still be ideal.

So I am hearing that the new bolster is making a much bigger difference to PvP player stats than the current system, to the extent that its not only levelling the playing field for gear but more or less eliminating it. Now Im undecided if thats good or bad thing, probably a good thing (if it works) but my concern is the ranked gear being used in non ranked war zones and although the new bolstering will close or eliminate the gap it will in fact just make the true elites in full augmented top level ranked gear playing in now ranked war zones be in god mode. Is there a case for separating ranked gear to ranked queues only?

Ranked gear is just empty shells, so ranked gear gives no advantage over non-ranked gear. Now if you are meaning Conqueror gear (which requires ranked comms to buy), everyone can buy that still.

Bolster will only bump people up if their gear is below a certain level threshold. Once you are over that threshold, bolster will not apply to that item.

Bolster gets you to 25k, no optimization. Buying gear and optimizing it gets you 28k and upwards, even close to 40k for tanks. Still enough incentive to gear up. Altough pve'ers are less excluded from now on in pvp.

dont get me wrong, I like the idea of the change and its going to be a lot better now than a fresh recruit up against full optimised EWH, my (badly put) question is should the gear that requires ranked comms and is better gear be limited to ranked WZ's, thus maintaining the new level of balance in non ranked WZ's other than augmentation and optimisation of non ranked gear.

dont get me wrong, I like the idea of the change and its going to be a lot better now than a fresh recruit up against full optimised EWH, my (badly put) question is should the gear that requires ranked comms and is better gear be limited to ranked WZ's, thus maintaining the new level of balance in non ranked WZ's other than augmentation and optimisation of non ranked gear.

I like the idea of an elite PvP gear for a higher tier PvP queue (which would be ranked, season 1? ) if that's what you mean. Limited to that, but you better get it and have it ready if you are going to queue there.

With this bolster system does this mean that players with the very best pve gear can now enter wzs and get expertise and faceroll players now? If this is the case its certainly a dark day for dedicated pvpers.

No. The better your PVE gear, the less bolstered your expertise is. This means that people PVPing in top end PVE gear will have a lot less expertise than those in PVP gear. This is a huge disadvantage, but not as huge as on live.

There's not enough people queuing for rateds to justify limiting gear like this.

I agree, I dont queue as Im too casual (at the moment) to be part of a pvp guild. Unless they open rated queues up this is never going to improve and even if they opened them up (to solo, 2, 3..7 mans) anyone not in top tier gear will face been rolled badly. This means that the 8 man in top tier queues for non rateds as 4's (and that's fine) and you end up with a pug getting mashed into the ground, while I can see it might be fun for the 8 man once or twice their reward is pretty useless and the PUG just ends up with unhappy players, taking even longer to gear up to at least be somewhat competitive.

Cross server groups for PvP and PvE have always been a requirement, no sign of them any time ion the future though.

I'm asking that because I didn't try PTS and don't know; does this bolster also include expertise? Will a player with 0 expertise also get a certain lvl of expertise?

yep I fight withour gear, only my weapon and off hand and I get good expertise.

I wonder if they are still adjusting it. As it stands now, it seems gear doesn't matter at all, but I think ranked should be un-bolstered and gear dependent, if that makes sense. Not sure if it is or not.

I want at least a little reason to gear up and min-max, which I have yet to do with any of my toons. I guess if ntohing else, it matters in open world PvP

sounds like 2.0 bolster on pts is broken badly at this point. does bolster operate in ranked on 2.0? that sounds wrong if it does.

I need to look on PTS but what are the WZ brackets? I have heard the top bracket includes 55 (I would guess ranked is 55 only). Given we know what a wreck that was when 50's were in the same bracket as 11's is this going to be a temporary thing until there is a reasonable 55 population for them to be in their own bracket again?

i really think this 2.0 is going to backfire terribly

i was actually hoping they would get rid of bolster altogether

my lowbie toons in wz's are not even the same character as when i am out questing

my level 10 sniper abuses the bolster and level 40 players yet if i try to go after mobs a few levels higher everything is resisted

i almost feel as if they should just make a generic toon for your class when you enter a wz or something

all this tinkering with this or that can only result in a slew of derp when 2.0 goes live

Edited by Daxy

Dont know what Bioware is doing here. Why are they waisting their time on this broken bolster system and messing up every class. For along time the biggest complaints is no season 1 for ranked WZ and open world pvp being non-existent. But instead of fixing those things they brake bolster and screw every class. I understand the classes need to be balanced but what the hell are the developers doing? Season 1 Ranked WZs with some gimmick rewards like titles and other minor carrots to dangle in front of the player base will get all of the elite pvp groups out of normal WZs. But instead it looks like we get nerf 2.0 and nothing that the majority of the player base is calling for!

THANKS BIOWARE!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.